It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australians warned to stay away from deadly giant birds .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Back in my zoo years I happened to work in the zoos quarantine department for a few years, This means I had to catch and handle a lot of different animals for the veterinary guys.

I always remember the casuaris birds, they could jump 2 meters high when trying to corner them with a piece of board. I felt the force of their kicks while shielding myself behind the wooden board and I tell you its incredible.
Its like being hit with a baseball bat with knifes attached.

Fantastic animals and not all were aggressive, sometimes we could enter the enclosure while feeding. Their stare is brilliant, very angry even when their relaxed.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Seagle

Yes and will never go back - go Boxers!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
All i saw for pics here was a clawed foot and that to me even looks prehistoric..I must say Australia does have some weird birds and animals..thanks for the post

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Ive seen a lot of these in the wild before, they are lovely birds.

I really laughed after reading the title and opening the thread only to find out it was the cassowary, Ive never really thought of them as being deadly, but i suppose like any wild animal if you tried to grab one (even with intent to save it) its gonna think its under attack and fight back.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It looks like a bird but behaves like a dinosaur.

edit on 17-2-2011 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
jeez is there any animal in australia that doesnt want to maim, eat or kill you? i'll give the place a miss thanks

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I visited Australia and saw these birds, they are magnificent. I spent 4 weeks mesmerized at the flora and fauna of the country.
Yes you have to be sensible when encountering the wildlife but that is the case in any country.
I saw poisonous snakes and spiders etc but you dont go around poking fingers in holes if you have a brain.
In England it is well known that a swan can break a mans arm with one flap but on the whole they are beautiful birds and not usually aggressive and I guess the cassawary is just the same. Certainly the ones I saw were not nasty just rather like a kind of emu really.
I was warned not to approach a koala though as they can be really nasty little blighters but look so sweet when sitting up the tree.
Each country has it's own species but I found Australia to have the most intriguing types of all.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ericthedoubter
DROP BEARS DO NOT EXIST

Blasted Antipodeans!

Oi mate, leave us Kiwis out of this.

Cassowaries are beautiful birds. I've only seen one when visiting Taronga Zoo. The claws are not bad, but not as hard core as the giant Moa (unfortunately extinct). If I can find it, I'll upload a picture of a claw that I found when taking part in a 'dig' in north Canterbury.

Anyway, those Drop Bears are lethal, or so I've heard. The Fruit Bats love them more than twinkies, however. They're the ones to watch out for! Only in Seedney, though, the capital of New Zealand.

edit on 17-2-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Some information and images on Drop Bears......

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce82e933213d.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/573427578968.jpg[/atsimg]

hilarious!

but the op tittle is great advice.

i'd say everybody should stay away from deadly giant birds.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

Thanks for the videos!

That guy in the first video almost didn't make it. I must admit though, I was laughing my to the point of tears at his misfortune

What kind of idiot gets in a fenced in area with a deadly bird?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
There may be some Megalania knocking about out there,too^^

Apparently,only the sheep are non-toxic or deadly.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

Bloody overgrown chicken.

Get 'im on the barbie.If you can.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
They have these too, the Coconut Crab.

And they get huge, up to 10 pounds.

www.woosk.com...
edit on 4-3-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join