It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consequences of Terrorist Attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I don’t usually post in forums that delve over topics like this as I always see a calm and civilised talk turn into one of bashing and hate (and I hope this will not occur here). But I had an experience a few days ago which I’d like to share.

Pain. Hurt. Fury. All these emotions fled through us on 9/11. Hell, not even 9/11...any and all of the terrorist attacks that occur through the world. Yet it seemed that this wasn’t enough for the citizens of those countries that were targeted...people were scared and they NEEDED to have their revenge, I guess it is human nature, they had to backlash to reduce some of the pain they had bottled inside.

But what happens when you target the wrong people?

Let’s start with something not that big. A few days ago, as I mentioned above, 11 years AFTER the 9/11 attack, I was nearly attacked. I was walking home with my brother, when a gang of about 15 “white” girls and boys surrounded me and started saying such things as:
‘Paki..’
‘Why don’t you go back to your own country?’
‘Where’s Mohammad now to help you?’
and some other ridiculous comments.
My brother made me usher out there without a word, otherwise if I had retaliated it would have gotten ugly for us...so I guess he did the right thing.

But the thing was, I wasn’t a Paki, I don’t even follow the religion of Islam. I’m a Hindu. And you know what? People haven’t even heard of Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism etc...they go to me...what’s that? They assume I’m Muslim because my skin colour was BROWN. That’s a thing which really irks me. If you're Muslim..you're a terrorist in the eyes of so many people (not all) but many. You’re brown so you’re a terrorist...it seems this opinion is etched in still today deeply with loads of people.

But okay, let’s get onto something much more disgusting and which many of you should have heard about.

If I see someone (who) comes in that¹s got a diaper on his head and a fan belt wrapped around the diaper on his head, that guy needs to be pulled over - Congressman John Cooksey, Republican from Louisiana, who serves on the International Relations Subcommittee for the Middle East and South Asia, remarked shortly after the attacks on the Twin Towers on Sept 11, 2001.

What this bigotry idiot is talking about is a Sikh. Sikhs, because of their resemblance to the stereotypical image of Muslims, became victims of harassments, assaults and murder. They were often mistakenly thought to be a follower of Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban.

Some Sikh men wear a turban:

When a Sikh man or woman dons a turban, the turban ceases to be just a piece of cloth and becomes one and the same with the Sikh's head. The turban as well as the other articles of faith worn by Sikhs have an immense spiritual as well as temporal significance. The symbolisms of wearing a turban are many from it being regarded as a symbol of sovereignty, dedication, self-respect, courage and piety but the reason all practicing Sikhs wear the turban is just one - out of love and obedience of the wishes of the founders of their faith.
The turban's importance can be found in just about every culture and religion, starting with the ancient Babylonians to western religions such as Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, as well as eastern traditions. The Old Testament proclaims, Once they enter the gates of the court, implying God's court, "they are to wear linen vestments. They shall wear linen turban."

To read on: www.sikhwomen.com...
But after the terrorist attacks occurred, there were disgusting hate crimes even MURDERS...all for wearing a piece of cloth that has cultural significance to them. People on planes even ASK to swap seats if a Sikh is sitting next to him/her. Wow.

A study was done by the Discrimination and National Security Initiative (DNSI), an affiliate of the Pluralism Project at Harvard University. 83 per cent Sikhs respondents say they or someone they knew personally had experienced a hate crime or incident.

‘According to figures released in June, there has been a 300% rise in stop and searches of Asian members of the community since the introduction of anti-terrorism legislation.’ That was in 2006 I believe.

Here are some additional stories of the Sikhs which are well worth reading:
www.littleindia.com...
They comprise of murders, beatings, people being asked to change seats etc..

And not just Sikhs:

Hindus

Hindus also remain the target of vandalism and harassment. This is not so much because of their religious affiliation, which enforces ideals of equality, but simply because of racism. Hindus are often mistaken for Arabs, which, in the minds of many Americans, are equated with extremist Muslim terrorists. This is not solely due to a lack of information, but to an abundance of misinformation and paranoia propagated by the media. Indeed, when a picture of an Arab individual flashes on the evening news, more times than not the corresponding story is that of a "suspected" terrorist plot.

On November 27, 2003 Metro West reported that an Ashland, Massachusetts teenager defaced a Hindu temple in Ashland on Halloween. Anthony Picciolo, 17, was convicted of spray painting hate messages. Police said Piccioli spray painted 'Sand N------ beware,' and 'head,' on a rock near the Hindu temple. Police said 'head' was short for 'towel head.' On June 25, 2003 in Boston, an Indian graduate student named Saurabh Bhalerao, who was working part time as a pizza deliveryman, was the target of deplorable abuse. He was robbed, beaten, burned with cigarettes, stuffed in a trunk and stabbed twice before finally being dumped along a road. Police suspect that the attackers mistook the Hindu man for a Muslim. As they were beating him, the attackers supposedly taunted, "go back to Iraq."

Even the Semitics..

Year after year, American Jews are far more likely to be the victims of religious hate crime than members of any other group. That was true even in 2001, by far the worst year for anti-Muslim incidents, when 481 were reported — less than half of the 1,042 anti-Jewish crimes tabulated by the FBI the same year.

What’s startling is that after 2001, the hate crimes towards them had increased.

And of course the Muslims which is obvious..
I know women who had to stop wearing their hijab as they were either cursed at or had it torn for them. They had to go against part of their religion/culture for their safety.

Some other incidences of backlash violence include: a man driving his pick-up truck into the door of the Islamic Center Mosque in Tallahassee, Florida, threatening phone calls to the president of the Arab American Institute, and other local business owners and families of Middle Eastern and Asian descent, conspiracy to damage and destroy, by means of explosives, the King Fahd mosque in California, assaults committed against two people of Indian descent who managed a hotel in Tennessee, and two jars filled with cotton and gasoline were set on fire in front of a local restaurant owned by a Pakistani-American in Utah.4 These are only some of the numerous hate crimes committed around the country after September 11.

Please Read Through This..
There are some links on there outlining just some of the hate-crimes that occured, including an Egyptian being shot who was Christian (mistaken for being a Muslim), petrol bombs being nearly hurled at a mosque in Copenhagen to "help" the American and a Jordain was shot at and rammed at by a pick up truck!

So what I’m really trying to say is seriously, don’t judge a book by its cover. Think before you act and lash out.

Thank you

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

I'm so sorry that happened to you. What idiots. I hope you made a police report?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
No I didn't actually, it would cause more problems and to be honest, the police wouldn't do anything.
I'm used to it deary

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
good post.

Maybe Britiain really is more multi cultural than we believe.
I think there is less of this type of attacks here in the UK.

After all we know the difference between sikh, Hindu's etc

When I hear of things happening like this I can't help think :-
Are some Americans so thick ?

But then again the news channels have a lot to answer for in this area.
Take for example an Arabic person is shown time and time again on TV.
Eventually you end up being brain washed into thinking every Arabic person wants to blow sh1t up.

Here in Britain we are more at risk from home grown radical terrorists than immigrants.
these are people born and bread here.

a very odd country Britain can be at times. he he
edit on 17-2-2011 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
BP i don't think rage is a strong enough word to express how i feel about what happened to you. People like that are who make me lose hope in humanity.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I know it is no consolation, but if you lived here; I would arrest them..

I absolutely abhor people like that...

Semper

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The Western World Governments use Racism to fuel the support for the Empire’s conquest.

What you experienced is how mindless sheeple act after the mind control has taken hold. These youths that accosted you and your brother are only acting out what they have been taught by the Government. Ignorant, mindless reaction to the “Brown” skin person is exactly what is needed for western governments to put the boot-heel of oppression on the neck of the rest of the world.

When I was growing up we were taught to hate the Russian, then it became the Yellow-Man, now it is the Brown-man. It is a tool used by the controller to direct the thoughts and actions of the populace.

If the sheeple saw the brown-skin person as a person our Governments would have a very difficult time in feeding the War machine. This is what happened during Viet-Nam in the US. The youth of the US did not “buy” in to the Racism of the Yellow-Man and the Country never supported the Military or the Governments actions in Viet-Nam. Sorry to say that these same people years latter bought hook, line and sinker the LIE about the Brown-Man.

I applaud your thread. The best reaction is Education. Your attempt in educating the populace is very helpful.

But, you error in one part of your thread. You, my friend are continuing the “separation”, by trying to show the Difference between Brown Skin Men.

What we must do is educate our brothers that WE ARE ALL HUMAN BEINGS and anyone that tries to separate us is the Enemy of the Human Race. When We the People are able to understand that we all are ONE, the powers that WANT to be will no longer be able to wage their war on the Human Race.

This is a tall order and it will be almost impossible to accomplish, because Racism is a easy tool for those who would control us to use against us.

Divide & Conquer, it is TPTWTB (the powers that want to be) best tactic against We the People.

The Herd Must Be Culled

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I was in high school senior year when 9/11 happened. If I had knew back then what I know today then I probably wouldn't of joined the U.S Army in the first place. The government always needs scapegoats to carry out their greedy goals and its sad that they chose people of middle eastern background to take the blame. Im so glad that no harm came to you back then and I suggest getting some real protection should SHTF racism occur. Each one of us can be labeled a terrorist in todays retarded times and I can't help but feel like its going to get worse before it gets better. Thanks for sharing your experience on hard times and maybe someday people will think for themselves rather then see things with a closed mind. $&F!

edit on 17-2-2011 by Stop-loss! because: I grew up a screw up

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Sorry to hear you had to experience something like that.

I've seen it happening in chat rooms before. Calling people paki's or towlheads,ect. I hate racism myself. In my own country it's still a big issue on both sides of the fence. It's just terribly ugly when you have to witness the anger racism can bring out of a person.

But yeah, this is what happens when a government targets a certain religion or coloured people. Racism is used to get more followers for a cause and can make people do extremely horrible stuff.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

It's sad that people are that ignorant. Right after 9/11 at my old job we had a issue like that. We had a Guyanese man that worked with us get harassed by some ignorant sobs for the same reason you did. A idiotic stumble of logic because his skin was brown. Way too many people are willfully ignorant. Doesn't help their case when the Muslims and Hindus are at odds over Kashmir over in India and Pakistan.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Well, I know this is going to come across both for and against, but here goes nothing.

You know me, you've known me for quite some time, but "terrorism" is not the reason for what happened.

Trust me, BlackPoison94, it just is not a consequence of terrorism or terrorist attacks.

Are You "Right-Wing Fringe", or "Left-Wing Fringe" and How Will They Push You

It is a consequence of cultural stupidity beyond belief.

Being the person I am, I never assume someone's cultural identity, based upon color, ethnicity, or accent.

Racism : Self-Empowerment or Being an Ignorant Bully, and Suppressing Freedom

I will try to find out, if I cannot find out, I ask, by being their friend.

Then again, I do not get into groups like those idiots, the ones hurling insults at you.

Why does this negative crap happen?

Because groups of stupid people flock together and breed ignorance.

People have this knack for grouping into cliques, whether positive, or negative.

Unfortunately, when it groups in large negative clumps, you get hate crimes.

When even larger groups get together and let fear, ignorance, malice, economics, and hatred fuel it?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bf5b920b22ea.jpg[/atsimg]

It started many thousands, and thousands, and thousands of years ago.

You were just the convenient target of today.

Your children and my children and their grandchildren will be the targets of their decade or century.

And it only gets worse when Government spreads the hatred through ignorance.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/98dba3651624.gif[/atsimg]

In my youth it was only racism, drug dealers, and bullies.

In your day now it is adding to the mix events like Oklahoma City, September 11th, and the Underwear Bomber.

Still the same stupidity, just different idiots committing the same ignorance, through fear and rampant stupidity.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef2b1f59c1b1.jpg[/atsimg]

Anyone who would bully someone due to a difference in skin color is an intolerant fool.
edit on 2/17/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

That is completely true. To me, it seems like a disease...it spreads...and spreads..The thing is, FEAR is fuelling this to occur in all cultures/religions. Urgh, and I hate it. No one has anything to fear...people don't understand that yes, there are divisions between religion as well...e.g. fundamentalists, liberalists etc.

I agree...it is my fault...not just terrorism but due to many factors as well...especially cultural stupidity.

To be honest, I don't think it'll stop. People are too ignorant and idiotic to see behind the colour of the skin.
edit on 19-2-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: BBCode error.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94

That is completely true. To me, it seems like a disease...it spreads...and spreads..The thing is, FEAR is fuelling this to occur in all cultures/religions. Urgh, and I hate it. No one has anything to fear...people don't understand that yes, there are divisions between religion as well...e.g. fundamentalists, liberalists etc.

I agree...it is my fault...not just terrorism but due to many factors as well...especially cultural stupidity.

To be honest, I don't think it'll stop. People are too ignorant and idiotic to see behind the colour of the skin.
edit on 19-2-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: BBCode error.

Unfortunately, it does spread like a disease, but it is wholly a society which propagates it.

And it spread through point of contact through the mind and with like minds.

Either great things can happen with like minds or a great tragedy can happen.

I see the type of event which you speak about as a great tragedy.

People flock together to tear each other apart.

Instead of building people up and lifting our brothers and sisters upwards.

Fear is something which breeds in ignorance and or stupidity through action which creates panic.

When panic leads that fear becomes a dark monster leading others to become monsters.

BlackPoison94, who ever said this was your fault, because this is not true?

I do hope you did not misunderstand my words originally.

I never said any such thing.

I merely said it was not due to terrorism but due to societal ignorances and stupidity.

That is no one person's fault but bad parenting, bad leadership, and propagated ignorance.

That is society as a whole who is responsible for deplorable activities of one, two, or three individuals.

Like those ignorant fools who did what they did to you and your brother.

People who treated you like that need not breed more ignorance upon society.

Their lack of brains, lack of intelligence, and lack of social responsibility is upon their upbringings.

Never, ever blame yourself, especially not for someone else's ignorances.

Mission Creep : Agenda of An Alleged "New World Order" and Those Doing Their Bidding [WRAP]

Above is a short story I wrote for an ongoing ATS contest.

The last post is dedicated towards this thread in particular.

My greatest apologies, I am apologizing on behalf of society, for what happened to you BlackPoison94.

edit on 2/19/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

top topics

join