It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention citizens! You will enforce this no-smoking law!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

Really ironic. I'm almost entirely certain people have given up on thinking things through from start to finish.

Nazdorovya!

edit on 2/17/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

спасибо, девушка
I totally agree. Unless you're giving me compensation for potentionally risking my life and enforcing a stupid law, I ain't doing anything about it.

And japan too? Wow. I hate smoking. I quit, but when I moved for a job in Russia, found out I can buy a pack of Marlboro for $1.20 and that 90% of Russians seem to smoke (and drink, a definite trigger lol), it all went downhill haha.

I've always wondered how Marlboro can get away with selling cigarettes for $15.00 in NYC, but only $1.20 in Moscow...but that's off topic.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

Maybe NYC can call up the Shmira Patrol or take some tips from the City of Surprise

I know, I know...not funny. People could get hurt.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by nahsik

Not on a beach. Do you even know exactly what your saying? When people drink and decide to go swimming on the beach they are more susceptible to drowning.

And when people drink on the upper levels of a stadium they are more susceptible to falling down a large number of very steep steps, or getting hit in the face with a foul ball. You can get drinks at a Hibachi restaurant even though there's a huge stove 5 inches from you.

People can drink anywhere and be open to greater injury because they're drinking.

We'll have to agree to disagree about laws protecting us from ourselves.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
I myself don't smoke but strongly object to BIG BROTHER BANS on those who do. Just as long as they don't smoke around kids or in restraunts and they're outside with all the traffic that coughs up a lot more fumes then that's ok with me.

I've watched this ban happen in many countrys - HEY we know it's bad for you! But that's up to you to decide - all they should do is provide the information - not dictate how you run your life.

The other thing is when they refuse to treat smokers for medical conditions - UMMM smokers have paid more taxes than most other citizens and if anything they should be given extra care not less.

Just my opinion!

Smoke all you want/drink all you want/eat all you want - just as long as it's kept in your own bounderies and keep it away from your kids.

What about resteraunt or establishment owners who want smokers?

I'd say that's just as bad. The business owners should be able to decide for themselves

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie

If a family is passing me while walking on the sidewalk I cup my smoke and hold it to the side of my body furthest away from them! I also pinch the coal out of my cig and pocket the butt until I can find a trash can.

Collaborator.

You give them an inch and they'll ban you from that sidewalk....

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
it makes me laugh.

people act like smoking is the worse thing ever, why not just ban it?
there are many reasons i would not mind.

one is the fact that people will move on to the next thing, which might be something non smokers do and they will find themselves in the same position, trying to defend their rights to do so. and as far as i'm concerned i would see it as something that they deserved.

another would be the loss in taxes, and the government replacing the lost income with something else that people do that they can tax so that they can recoup the lost taxes from smoking on something else, again it could well be something non smokers love doing.

you know what i think i am going to quit.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

This is dictatorship!
NO ONE CAN'T TELL A LAW OBIDING CITIZEN WHAT TO DO WITH HIS LIFE!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Ah you have to love Americans. I was in Kruger Park in South Africa recently and was treating my girlfriend to dinner at a restuarant overlooking a beautiful lake. We had requested the smoking section and were quietly having a smoke while waiting for our main course when a couple of stereotypical large american ladies decided to occupy a table next to us.
Needless to say there was much muttering and coughing from these extremely unhealthy individuals which I assumed meant that they did not appreciate our cigarette smoke invading their airspace.

Needless to say I immediately lit up another and made sure it was extra smoky. My message received, they retreated with ill-grace to their own section of the restuarant where I assume they proceeded to eat several elephant as well as half the kitchen staff for dessert.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
has anyone thought about the character this will encourage,

obviously someone is more likely to be approached and asked to put out their cig if they appear approachable,

obviously no one wants to be asked to put out their cig,

obviously this will teach everyone that if they want to enjoy their cig they need to take on the least approachable appearence possible,

i seriously doubt groups of 10 + wandering africanamericans are going to ever be asked to put out their cigs,

same goes for homeless bums, and any other kind of city scum you typicaly see in the streets, you know, the kind you try hard not to talk to or make eye contact with,

(^btw take no offense, many whom i call my friends fit these descriptions
^)

oh but the gental man there in his nice business suit why of course you can ask him to put it out, and of course he will likely oblige,

just another example of how your shat on if your good and rewarded if your bad.

edit on 2/23/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Not on a beach. Do you even know exactly what your saying? When people drink and decide to go swimming on the beach they are more susceptible to drowning.

And when people drink on the upper levels of a stadium they are more susceptible to falling down a large number of very steep steps, or getting hit in the face with a foul ball. You can get drinks at a Hibachi restaurant even though there's a huge stove 5 inches from you.

People can drink anywhere and be open to greater injury because they're drinking.

We'll have to agree to disagree about laws protecting us from ourselves.

Thank you for misquoting me and playing it out of context. The post that I was actually referring to had the gentleman asking that it shouldn't be illegal to drink on the beach. I gave two examples of his foolishness. Maybe you should read the whole argument before knit-picking.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Thank you for misquoting me and playing it out of context. The post that I was actually referring to had the gentleman asking that it shouldn't be illegal to drink on the beach. I gave two examples of his foolishness. Maybe you should read the whole argument before knit-picking.

I did neither misquote, nor play it out of context.

Your first example was a heightened danger due to people attempting to swim while drunk and I provided examples of similar dangers where it is legal to drink.

Your second example, the whole littering excuse I find moot, and didn't bother replying to because we already have litter laws in place. If said litter laws were enforced it wouldn't be a problem. Besides, "people might litter" is not a reason to ban something in one area but not another.

After those two examples you launched into an attack on the "sheep" sucked in by corporations; and justified America doing it because your country does it.

Your post follows; in case your forgot what you wrote.

Not on a beach. Do you even know exactly what your saying? When people drink and decide to go swimming on the beach they are more susceptible to drowning. Plus people are too complacent in society these days that the beach therefore would be littered with bottles and most likely broken glass. You can only speak for yourself if you say you would clean up but you can't speak for the majority who would not give a damn about litter.

As for the people who smoke, you really are still a bunch of sheep who are still being sucked in by the corporations. No matter if you smoke normal ciggarettes or tobacco. Addiction..
I whole heartedly agree that there should be banning of cigarettes in public places. There is in my country. Smokers do have places to smoke at places such as pubs but not in the vicinity where non smokers need to smell them.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
New York's outdoor smoking ban !

Under measures approved by local authorities, swathes of outdoor public places including beaches, municipal parks and even Times Square have become tobacco-free.

Now and Times Square

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 23-5-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I fully support cigarette smoking bans. Not only is cigarette smoke very harmful to the person smoking, it is also very harmful to anyone around them. It is tantamount to assault.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

I support all auto bans - its tantamount to an assault having to breath all that car exhaust
I support tree and grass bans - its tantamount to an assault having to breath all that pollen and mould and causes asthma attacks. We could save a gazillion dollars in health care if trees and grasses were banned.
I support an indoor cooking ban - all those carcinogens in the air we breath - it tantamount to an assault
I support perfume bans - its tantamount to an assault and causes asthma attacks.
I support farting bans - its tantamount to an assault and hydrogen sulphide causes lung cancer
I support drinking bans - grain alcohol evaporates into carcinogens that I have to breath - your right to drink ends where my nose begins - its tantamount to an assault.
I support fireplace and wood burning stoves and bbq bans - very same carcinogens as smoking but it pollutes a whole neighbourhood. - its tantamount to an assault

SG-17 - why don't we just put whiners like you who have no respect for their fellow man - in a bubble so that you won't be assaulted anymore?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I dont let a 5-0 tell me to put out my joint, so i wouldnt expect a ciggie smoker to listen, even if they are getting cancer while there doing it !

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Maybe the organization which drives the "smokers are bad" can use their considerable energy, financing, etc,,
and direct it at Fukushima,, understand that i'll take a cig. any day, over what's still spuing out of fukushima for almost 3 months now.
Just a thought.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
BobAtHome

You don't need a nuclear accident to be "at risk" of lung cancer. Ever get into a hot car in the summer. That stale smell is full of carcinogens from the plastics in your car. Love that new car smell - its benzenes. Like to spray air fresheners or light candles. The contaminants being emitted are the same ones you are exposed to when smoking and in far far greater quantities.

If I live in an apartment building and I am a vegetarian - should we ban the indoor cooking of meat to avoid offending others (same thing in a restaurant - why can't I enjoy my meal without smelling your grilled steak).

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Yeah sure, I have nothing better to do with my miserable existence than risk my well being to help enforce Draconian laws enacted by some out of touch and delusional individuals. Nice try.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by SG-17

I support all auto bans - its tantamount to an assault having to breath all that car exhaust
I support tree and grass bans - its tantamount to an assault having to breath all that pollen and mould and causes asthma attacks. We could save a gazillion dollars in health care if trees and grasses were banned.
I support an indoor cooking ban - all those carcinogens in the air we breath - it tantamount to an assault
I support perfume bans - its tantamount to an assault and causes asthma attacks.
I support farting bans - its tantamount to an assault and hydrogen sulphide causes lung cancer
I support drinking bans - grain alcohol evaporates into carcinogens that I have to breath - your right to drink ends where my nose begins - its tantamount to an assault.
I support fireplace and wood burning stoves and bbq bans - very same carcinogens as smoking but it pollutes a whole neighbourhood. - its tantamount to an assault

SG-17 - why don't we just put whiners like you who have no respect for their fellow man - in a bubble so that you won't be assaulted anymore?

Tired of Control Freaks

Fossil fuel burning cars are bad, and the sooner they can be phased out the better.

As for the rest, you should take your strawmen and smoke it. Come up with a better "argument" than that and I will bother giving you a proper response. For now I'll say this:

I contend that those who would smoke cigarettes in full presence of other people are the ones who have no respect for their fellow man. The concentrations of carcinogens in cigarette smoke are of magnitudes higher than anything else a person could do. Why should people be allowed to poison others just because they have a remediable addiction? I feel so sorry for all of the children that have to grow up in households where their parents are habitual smokers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join