It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO "Hunting"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Ok, here's the deal.

I am VERY interested in UFO's, weird space crap and phenomenon and the like, the thing is, I don't know much about the sky it's self as seen from earth, (ok I mean I look up at the stars and can identify a few constellations and planets but that's it) Or current aviation technology. I have no idea, when looking up what is "normal".

My Father (God rest his crazy soul) Was convinced that he had seen countless UFO's and even raved about being abducted a few times. Now, I listened to his stories with as much of an open mind as I could considering he was a paranoid schizophrenic with PTSD (Vietnam related) and before I started coming on here and reading the posts I was pretty skeptical.

For the last couple of years now I have begun to think perhaps he wasn't quite as crazy as we all thought and well, I started looking up a heck of alot more. I have been searching, searching any chance I can get when outside for ANYTHING that could possibly be a UFO.

It seems to me everyone but me has seen at least one weird light in the sky at one time or another so what I want to know is this: What is the best way to seriously HUNT a UFO? Now I'm not saying UFO meaning aliens or extra terrestrial, I just mean stuff that cannot be explained flying in the sky whether it be man made or otherworldly, I am open to the possibility that either case is valid.

DO I need a telescope? Star maps? (how do you teach yourself to read those darn things anyway?) Which direction should I look? Is there a time of year when UFO sightings peek? I live in Northeast Ohio, in a small town. Not alot of light pollution no big time airports around here (we have a very small airfield close by but just little planes and mini jets take off and land from there....lots of helicopters though.)

Is there anyone else living near me that would be willing to get together and sky watch? Are there guidelines to rule out "normal" aircraft and other stellar bodies?

any and all help you can give me is appreciated and thank you in advance!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This is actualy a good question although sadly i dont have any sort of answer however i would also like to know. For example whats the best handy camera to have around just in case? best night vision equipment? best settings on a camera for might time pictures (im hoping to see the aurora tonight and looking for the best settings for my camera).
I saw my first ufo on christmas night of all nights and before you say fireworks this one shot across the sky, stopped dead, did a crazy little dance then shot off again so i rule out anything natural and would love to have video'd it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I read somewhere most sightings are Monday through Thurdsday 10 pm to 4:30 am. Not your typical weekend thing like a person would expect. I saw something briefly in April 2009 for a few seconds at 6:30 am while walking my dog after putting my child on the school bus. It was quite unexpected, the implications of what I may have seen have been hitting my thoughts ever since. Before that I was a non believer. Completely unafraid to walk around in the dark outside. The more research done the more you decide you really don't know what to think... about the humans behaving the way they do towards this subject. We are all osteriches. I know my realitives do not want to even talk about such ideas. It is weird how people react with denial of space the universe and what it could contain.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Well I used to be soooo skeptical but then I got to thinking, real deep thinking ya know and well, this whole huge vast neverending universe with all it's crazy strange wonders and WE are the only ones... WE are the best it can do?? That's SCARY! I mean, come on we can't be alone out here.

And yes I know if I ever see a UFO it is not proof there are aliens cause heck who knows if the thing flying is made by us or not BUT I still think it would be exciting AND it would reaffirm the possibility that there are other intelligent living things in this great big unknown ya know?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by undiscoveredsoul

Just being out under the stars is a great feeling, and when I do have just carry a good set of binoculars and have a video camera close by. You just never know what you might see. Once you get acquainted with the satellites that have a routine occurrence and flight paths of air traffic then you will be able to notice the ordinary from unusal. Main thing is to enjoy and don't get disapointed the first few times, you will see some strange things from time to time. Where I live things are always happening, Let us know how it goes.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

You may have trouble seeing UFOs. But, if your dad's stories are true, you may be an abductee. Supposedly abductions is cross-generation.

Do you have any weird experiences? Loss track of time? Abrupt wakings in the middle of the night where you feel something is in your room?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

What do you mean cross generation? Why would they want to abduct both me and my father?

Lost track of time? Abrupt awakenings?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Soon you will not have to look very hard.
They are coming and will soon be there for all to see.

There are two ways this can be taken but only one way will be chosen.

To assume they are a threat without cause will be foolish.

To see them for what they are and follow your instincts, you will know if they are hostile BUT whatever you do don't be fooled by those that are in pursuit of power and control who will do anything or stage anything to make you think the other.

Realize that if we were about to be slaughtered it would have happened years ago.

Our ancestors and other species will make themselves known very soon.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I am a huge advocate of --local-- MUFONs. (Mutual Ufo Network). My own state's is very---active. Here is YOUR state's own MUFON website. www.mufonohio.com...
You will most likely hook up with others (members there) who may have skywatch meets.
Back when I had ufo sightings, me and a friend mnerely found a spot with privacy and quiet, and an unobstructed view of the night sky. Sit out on -nights- when the temperature is tolerable to you for at least 3 hours. Make sure the sky is clear, not cloudy.
I don't know how much spendable cash you have, but it would be ideal to get nightvision goggles, but they are expensive. Here is a youtube vid of the media ('MyFoxPheonix.com') doing a story about the controversial 'Ed Grimsley' and his nightvision equipment ufo work. They are not debunking him, but rather showing insects versus ufos.
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I have been sleeping in a truck in the middle of nowhere Spain for the past 3 weeks in an area that is supposed to have "weirdness." I'm armed with cameras, a sleeping blanket and using myself as bait am hoping to see/meet something. Well the truth is, after 3 weeks of Jack, I'm overjoyed when even a 'plane goes overhead. Sure, you get brief flashes of light in the sky that are too quick to film, shooting stars come and go, you hear the sound of wild boar digging up the earth through the night etc., but as for even a glimpse of "Aliens from planet X" I've all but given up. In fact, the moon was so bright last night and I was so bored, I just pulled the sleeping bag over my head and went to sleep. One more week to go and then I can do all those sophisticated things humans do again; like wash. So if Klatoo and his ilk are reading this, I'm the smelly one on a hilltop in Northern Spain waiting to photograph your shiny ship.

So get a career, get a life, just don't find yourself in the woods looking for stuff in the sky like me, it's a waste of time.

Oh, I only came out of the woods to check my email at an internet cafe.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nomadros

I am convinced the ufo phenomenon has changed it's visibility and appearance since I saw them plentiful with my own eyes back in the late '70's. They do occassionaly appear to the eye, but mostly keep cloaked to the infrared spectrums. That is why I always refer to my own sightings "Back in the late '70's", when I look up in the sky -now-, I just do not see anything strange anymore for a long time.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by undiscoveredsoul
reply to post by frugal

this whole huge vast neverending universe with all it's crazy strange wonders and WE are the only ones... WE are the best it can do?? That's SCARY!

LOL - Best quote I have read in some time.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I would suggest when looking into the sky to identify two things airplanes and satellite. their movement is important. usually the UFO will be eight very fast after a time of hovering. so you should be able to identify if it is a strange movement. satellite usually looks like UFO but there movement will be much slower. good luck any way ... let us know what you will find out there ...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I suspect the internet has hyped the UFO enigma to the point that many believe the skies to be teeming with them. There's a sense that if you stare at the sky for long enough, something will appear on cue. It creates a false reality.

As an example, think of airplanes; hundreds of thousands of flights every year over countries. At night they're all lit up with the regulation lights. Unless people live under a major flightpath or near to airports, we can look up at the sky and not see an airplane anywhere.

If airplanes are infrequent to some, what are the chances of seeing a true UFO? These things are rare to the point that many of the well-known names in ufology have never seen one. Most people with an interest or belief in them will go to their graves without seeing one. On top of that, most people who do see one will have misidentified or misunderstood what they saw.

I hope you get to see a true UFO. Looking up at the skies can only increase your chances. At the same time, I think it's like buying lottery tickets, no matter how many you buy, the chances of a winning ticket are millions to one. It doesn't stop people buying and it doesn't stop people looking to see UFOs.

Whatever they are, or represent, true UFOs are out there and people occasionally see them. Keep looking and maybe the 'jackpot' will be yours.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Some good suggestions. You also might want to take a basic Astronomy class (hopefully one without all the math) to familiarize yourself better with the sky. Check out www.stellarium.org... also. Learn about the ISS passes and satellites, etc. Basically get to know what ARE NOT UFO's first...it gets easier if you can rule out all the noise, leaves you more open to get the signal...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Toxicsurf

Thats a really good important suggestion.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I don't know of anyone who saw a UFO when they were actively looking for it (other than simple misidentifications, etc.)

The best you can do, is be prepared WHEN you see one.

1. Take pics, as many as you can. Video if able.
2. Take a pic of where you were standing, and what direction you were facing when you saw it.
3. Make sure the pics have other objects for reference points.
4. Make notes, of speed, direction, estimated height, etc. and how long you saw it (look at your watch).

Then, after the event, start eliminating mundane causes, such as planes, satellites, etc. Most of the time some Googling can help, or you can actively contact others. If you file a sighting report with agencies like NUFORC, etc., they may even do the legwork for you (or had others who reported the same thing).

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I've been lucky enough to have seen two 'true UFOs.' Both times with other witnesses.

The first was likely unfilmable with standard cameras and the second happened so fast (4 seconds or so) there was no way to get a camera out and catch it. The first was unique and involved three witnesses and the second was typical and involved four of us and a group of people some 30/50 yards away.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips and links! LOVED the mufon link in Ohio! As to classes, yeah I'll skip any that involves math LOL I wasn't really planning on doing a "Hunt" until late spring early summer so that gives me time to learn what I need to learn. Hopefully I can connect with others that will be able to help and explain what is what. Once again thanks so much for all your replies! Happy hunting!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WhateverHappens

Thanks! Glad you liked that!

join