It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive solar flare hits Earth tonight

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Indecent

I don't think we would expect this to effect every house on the planet by any means. If anything happens it would most likely be random. I have so far only heard of radio skips and blackouts, cable going off and on.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The odds of one person dying from a solar flare is a million times smaller than dying from a terrorist attack. Can we please all agree that solar flares are common and won't cause the end of the world nor even 10 deaths?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Our satellite has been fuzzy. The last time it was fuzzy was yesterday, when the last flare went by.
In fact, dad complained that it was fuzzy. His exact words were, "With all the technology they've got and all that they can do, you'd think they'd be able to filter that stuff out."

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Well my electricity, DirecTV, and internet are working. Car still starts, cell phone has a signal, and the toilet flushes. Guess I will be going to work tomorrow. I had an excuse scribbled on a piece of paper and was ready to send it to my boss via carrier pigeon.

Dear Sir,

As you know our planet was hit with a solar flare last night. Thus, I will not be into work today as I have been exposed to solar radiation. Being the thoughtful and cautious person that I am, I would in no way want my fellow employees to come in contact with anymore radiation than they may have already incidentally been exposed to from said event. I hope you can appreciate my situation.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I don't blame your Dad for complaining - I sometimes wonder the same myself. Especially when my computer misbehaves.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Just for those who are a bit iffy on the subject.

1. This is the biggest Earth directed solar flare in 4 years and we haven't even reached solar minimum of the next solar cycle which will erupt in 2013. Not all solar flares are Earth directed, we dodge quite a few throughout the years, this one just seems to be directed right at us - hence all the hype

2. Earth is small, the sun is gargantuan, solar flares are gargantuan. It takes days for a solar flare of an x magnitude to completely finish pummeling the magnetosphere. Right now the solar flare is passing right above our .s, the meta-physicists could have fun speculating the effects on the human electromagnetic field as well - hence all the hype

3. When the magnetosphere is under great amounts of pressure, things tend to happen down on the surface - hence all the hype.

Here's some info for everyone to sink their teeth into for the time being - www.swpc.noaa.gov...

IIB. Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be active with a chance for isolated minor storm periods for day one (18 February). This activity is due to the effects of two CMEs; the first associated with an M6 event at 13/1735Z and the second associated with an X2 event at 15/0156Z. Quiet to active conditions are expected for day two (19 February) as the effects of these disturbances wane. The geomagnetic field is expected to return to mostly quiet conditions on day three (20 February).

edit on 17-2-2011 by DakmindAK because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-2-2011 by DakmindAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by crazydaisy

Our satellite has been fuzzy. The last time it was fuzzy was yesterday, when the last flare went by.
In fact, dad complained that it was fuzzy. His exact words were, "With all the technology they've got and all that they can do, you'd think they'd be able to filter that stuff out."

Don't ya just luv em!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Were working on it Captain but I think the Flux Capacitor is filteri,,,,,aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrhhhh

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The wind is from the south and the sky is covered with clouds... When there is a break exposing the moon it is very bright and even with the clouds I can see a tractor in the field north of me about 400 yards away.... It's unusual to be able to stand outside in mid February shirtless and feel no chill in the air whatsoever... It feels very nice actually.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This is the biggest solar storm in 4 years!.....which means we had bigger storms as recently as 48 months ago!

This is no big deal really.............although the borealis was visible (faintly) in Stockport UK at around 11pm GMT, I really can't see there being any major disruption to technology over the next 48 hours.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I was having a bit of trouble with my cell phone at around 7 50 pm tonight, central u.s. time, and it was acting really freaky, lost connections 3 times then missed a few phone calls, and about 2 mins later it was fine, wonder if it was the solar flare.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I check this monitor every day while some of you guys are sending out the zzzzzzzzzzzs and it actually appears more quite than usual. As the sun rises first for the new day in New Zealand I get first look.

So if an earthquake doen't wake you up just check it out on here - unless I'm having a lay in bed. (chance would be a fine thing)

Current situation: www.iris.edu...

If my future posts are jumping up and down - THE BIG BOY HAS HIT

Love the thread!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It seems very normal outside and in the sky as well.... If it weren't for the clouds I would stay outside and play ball with my pooch.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
This is the biggest solar storm in 4 years!.....which means we had bigger storms as recently as 48 months ago!

This is no big deal really.............although the borealis was visible (faintly) in Stockport UK at around 11pm GMT, I really can't see there being any major disruption to technology over the next 48 hours.

Correction: the biggest Earth directed solar storm in 4 years.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
So far so good. And it's 10:36. Still waiting for this omgosh where'd all the electricity go? solar flare.

*YAWN*

Hrm I think I'll go take a look in the general forums...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Its beautiful weather in Iowa right now...so I'm hoping the power grid goes out in downtown Des Moines tonight (where I work) and I wont have to go to work tomorrow....and then I can have a Friday off.....

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Shout out from California, Los Angeles ..... Reporting in, it is 7:40 pm and nothing happens.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Its 10:30 in KY and cant see anything anymore, the wind picked up and blew clouds in, even had a pretty cool moon. So much for seeing anything. However, dish network channel guide is intermittently loosing its info, and the DVR has been randomly recording things.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Taken from spaceweather.com

IMPACT! A CME hit Earth's magnetic field at approximately 0100 UT on Feb. 18th (8:00 pm EST on Feb. 17th). The impact was not as strong as expected considering the cloud's probable X-class origin. Nevertheless, geomagnetic storms are possible in the hours a.. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
clear skies in east tn ...been watching for 60 mins ... nothing going on here

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join