It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive solar flare hits Earth tonight

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
reply to post by UKWO1Phot

The last time? Me, personally?
Probably the same time the rest of the world did, and the time before that, etc.
Like I said, we've had worse, not long ago either and can anyone remember the damage it caused them? No you can't, because there wasn't any that concerned us...because we're not astronaughts, or (I at least) don't own a power station or satellite.

Look, if you're all going to get so frightened over this, then I seriously wonder whether your hearts will take the stress when we actually hit solar max!!

But, if you wish to feel genuine fear or even worry over this then that is of course, your perogative.

Look up the 'Carrington Event' and see the things that were reported from that, then come back and tell me you're still worried about the consequences of a lil' old medium sized flare.

edit on 17-2-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: (no reason given)

Who's frightened??? I'm not..
I want to see the aurora...
AND sort your spelling out..
edit on 17/2/2011 by UKWO1Phot because: cos

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthPhobos

Originally posted by sliceNodice
Looks like it is starting. Look at the graphs.
www2.nict.go.jp...

Slice wondering if you could help. Regarding that site you linked, I remember a while back whilst reading a thread regards the magnetasphere someone posted a link to a site very similar, well the layout was similar, but I was able to click something on the page that showed the graphs & pictures in a video kind of motion, as though all pictures taken from all the 20 min shots were put together in a slide show, Wonder if you or anyone knows where that site is. Its just for someone not as clued up on what the graphs mean (Like me) the motion capture would be a great thing to view as I could see it changing dramatically

Was it this? www2.nict.go.jp...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Yeah I think that may be it, Thank-You

I see it only goes from the previous day so it wont be until tomorrow that the movie will be released

Last time I picked a day to view I cant remember it being such a long download, Thanks amigo,

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mesaana
oh cool, im in anchorage, alaska at the moment, maybe ill get to see a show

I'm in Anchorage Alaska as well, even though we have clear sunny skies lately, a snow storm is supposed to be pounding south central tonight round 12 AM. Anchorage is prolly gonna be getting 2-4 feet of snow, so no auroras for us tonight sadly

Its usually hard to see auroras from Anchorage anyway with all the light pollution.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm up in northern Alberta, Canada staying at a work camp. My question is, will my surveying equipment work tomorrow, it deals with satellites and GPS type tracking...fingers crossed it will be down and I get to sleep in, been up here for 34 days and sleeping in would be a treat haha.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by UKWO1Phot

AND sort your spelling out..

Ow, terrublie sorri, duz it bothur yu I may bee dyslexic?.

Are "those" types not allowed in here then? Must we all be as excellent as yourself in our literacy?
Grow up, there's far more important things than attacking another's ability to write, proper like!

Say's it all...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

well at least it is nice and warm today. I will just open my windows if this happens.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

lol better watch the grammar police are out in full force tonight

when one feels backed into a corner one tends to lash out with jibes of spelling mistakes or punctuation problems.....

better that than years ago where they would beat u with a stick.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
small update from the uk =) its still foggy as "£$^ as described earlyer, however i've noticed since someone said "look at ze graphs its starting" that the pressure readings have been going up, and now the aroura activity from the spaceweather aroura map seams to be picking up too, hope you get a good view america cause I can't see £"$% =3

also my pc screen flashed white momentarily a couple of minutes ago but I think thats more IE's fault than the solar flare -_- the 3d version of the magnetosphere graph, the japanese thing, only works on internet explorer you see...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
Just a question.

Does anyone else get insomnia during these periods? Before knowing about them. I seem to have a bout of it every time there is a big one. So much so I was going to make a thread in times past.

I can't help but ask now, cause I'm running on fumes. Past 4 nights

Unreal, i thought it was just me that happened to. Definitely something to that methinks....

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
DNA Upgrade!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 9Cib27
Look at all the creepy wording in this article:
www.crunchgear.com...

Look at the creepy wording of THIS article from 2010 which warned us of these flares.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

In a new warning, Nasa said the super storm would hit like “a bolt of lightning” and could cause catastrophic consequences for the world’s health, emergency services and national security unless precautions are taken.

The government has said it was aware of the threat and “contingency plans were in place” to cope with the fall out from such a storm.
These included allowing for certain transformers at the edge of the National Grid to be temporarily switched off and to improve voltage levels throughout the network.

Quite alarming, but then again, i've just looked in my garden and can't see bugger all because of the clouds. I'm assuming we're all alive and well, because my computer is still working, and my house mates haven't alerted me to any catastrophic distractions.

edit on 17-2-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
if you count minimal radiation poisoning as a dna enhancement sure xD

who knows though, even einstins famous equation shows or at least makes one believe that everything is related to if not made of light =)

ed: google news seams to finally be catching on.
edit on 17-2-2011 by madscientistintraining because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by madscientistintraining

I've been lucky enough to see them a couple of times. Once while flying back from New Zealand, the other was on my roof around 2AM in Milwaukee!
It was 1976-77. It was spectacular! Saw the corona center and curtains of green. It was AMAZING!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
So what happens to aircraft that happen to be flying during the time this solar flare hits us?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Read this: www.salem-news.com...

The magnetic field protects all life from damaging solar radiation. Exposure to such radiation can cause cancer and mutate DNA. Some researchers believe evolution has been driven in part by epochs marked by a failing or weak magnetic field that allowed the surface of the world to be bathed with intense ultra-violet and other deadly forms of life-changing radiation.

Ascension ?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

Ascension as in meeting your maker?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Upyerheart
So what happens to aircraft that happen to be flying during the time this solar flare hits us?

I was just outside having a smoke and I could hear a jet passing over. Thought to myself, I would NOT want to be in an aircraft at all tonight. Cloudy here in Ohio, seems to be the norm anytime there is going to be some kind of cool celestial occurence, so I probably won't be seeing much. Guess I will still step out soon though. What are we about 30 minutes from it arriving? Guess we'll see what happens.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DakmindAK
I'm in Anchorage Alaska as well, even though we have clear sunny skies lately, a snow storm is supposed to be pounding south central tonight round 12 AM. Anchorage is prolly gonna be getting 2-4 feet of snow, so no auroras for us tonight sadly

Hi, I'm an Alaskan also in Anchorage. 2-4 feet? Here is the latest quote from the NOAA National Weather Service here in Anchorage.

Tonight...Increasing clouds. Snow developing by midnight. Snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Lows 10 to 20 except 5 to 10 above east anchorage. Southeast wind to 15 mph...gusting to 30 mph along turnagain arm and over higher elevations with local blowing snow.

Friday...Snow...diminishing to scattered snow showers in the afternoon. Additional snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Storm total snow accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Highs in the lower to mid 20s. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph with gusts 25 mph in the afternoon.

Friday Night...Partly cloudy after evening flurries. Lows zero to 10 above except near 5 below east anchorage. Light winds.

It's 2-4 inches. and only a 40% chance increasing to a 60% chance tomorrow. I won't even need to fire up my snow blower and for those who don't live here, those winds are constant on Hillside and out Turnagain Arm.

like you said though, we wont be seeing any Auroras. The NOAA also has the usual warning for communications interruptions.

On topic-

The Aurora forecast is only at level 4+, so this is not even close to the large displays we had in 2001 and 2002.

Odd so many are in a panic over a little static on their cell phones? I would think if people are truly scared it would lead them to do some research and find out if their fears are unfounded.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
How much longer till it happens?

Like Tminus how much time?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join