It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive solar flare hits Earth tonight

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
The storm has not hit as yet, so it would be unlikely to be affecting anything.
www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk...

Thanks for the link !
A site more for me to keep a eye on

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

I will watch here in So Calif. If I can see it then we know for sure the pole is shifting. Glad we get the dark side for this puppy.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
darn it, 7 hours give or take due to unpredictability, and I need to get up 4 hours after that....long night...or college not half asleep...

very debatable =3

ed: just incase it does somehow breach the magnetosphere.........

if your power 'goes off' I totally recommend not touching anything metal for a while...

and no unfortunatly clouds won't stop the shower of charged particles effecting transformers if that scenario does occur
edit on 17-2-2011 by madscientistintraining because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
We will all awake as normal and start a normal day. I think this solar flare doom saying has to stop as it's a thread
for morons. ATS readers should stop the doom talk and start spreading some of the enlightenment we are constantly being told is all around us. Anybody reading this site would swear we are all survival NUTS!.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Something besides a new moon is about to occur... I live in a rural area southeast of Dallas Texas and spend a lot of time observing the behavior of animals... In the recent weeks I have seen large flocks of turkey buzzards along the sides of roads where no carrion exist, nocturnal critters like opossum, raccoon and armadillo during daylight hours being oblivious to my presence.... Dogs that normally sit in their yards when I drive by run by my car barking very aggressively, my own dog that normally roams around in the wood close to the house hasn't left the front porch when out side alone and wants to be right up against me or in his crate when indoors and numerous dogs and cats in the area are just up and disappearing... I have seen many more deer tracks within a few feet of my house than along the trails they normally use and wild hogs not of the feral variety that are also inclined to being nocturnal are also active during daylight hours ...... One of the strangest things is that I haven't been awakened by the howls of coyotes since early December and they are usually raising hell for most of the night this time of the year..... Generally when I notice behaviors like this some kind of out of the ordinary natural event or a series of them occurs that has some type of influence on this area.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jcosens

LINK?!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
That's interesting maybe that could be the cause of why my tv has randomly gone out today. Twice already, but who know's thanks for the alert, I noticed NOAA has a watch out already.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Since I heard about it on the news this morning I'm psyched about it.
I got my brand new Nikon D90 charged up and going to do all I can to get to a remote location.
If I get anything I'll share the pictures

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I feel this link is relevant to the topic at hand

nict real time magnetosphere simulation

as you can see its at a relative low point right now, it was red/white at the time of the CME emisions a few days back, I would hazard a guess it would go off the chart if it actually hit...

also soho's aroura map is getting...brighter.

ed: for clarity, the red/white I refer to is the relative pressure levels.
edit on 17-2-2011 by madscientistintraining because: clarity

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

hey truebrit...or anybody else interested,,,this website shows the current aurora oval. Just scroll down a bit

on the left is box with the current aurora oval. Just pick which part of the planet you wish to view.

Link spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Arkansas:
Thursday February 17 2011, 10:49:48 UTC 100 minutes ago Arkansas 4.7 3.5 Detail
Thursday February 17 2011, 10:49:48 UTC 100 minutes ago Arkansas 4.7 3.5 Detail
Thursday February 17 2011, 10:49:48 UTC 100 minutes ago Arkansas 3.8 6.5 Detail
Thursday February 17 2011, 10:49:48 UTC 100 minutes ago Arkansas 4.0 3.5 Detail
hisz.rsoe.hu...
Not sure about others but this has me mildly concerned.

New topic:

Is anyone having problems with their cell phone?
For several days now, my phone loses all signals and, for the most part it's clear. AT&T doesn't know why and I wonder if it has to do with these CME interfering with some satellites!

Greetings Earthlings, Assorted Visitors and Human_Alien:

Just spoke to my friend in Mountain Home, AR, and he said that there is hardly any news about recent quakes in the local media, as yet. And his cell phone is acting up, dropping calls and generally not working some of the time.

Mine too, (Verizon Samsung) and other members of the local VFD (some have ATT) who have been experiencing similar complications. Our Motorola GP 300's seem to be OK for the moment...(16 channel VHF handheld transceivers, 5 Watts of power -1900mah GP industrials).

I'll keep you posted, as we are in touch (at the moment) with my partners at other departments as far-flung as Montana, Washington, Mississippi, Texas and California. This will not be good if we all loose our communication capabilities - but, on the other hand, what a great rehearsal for the "October Surprise." Got to look for the silver lining in all this, right?

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory saw a large coronal mass ejection (CME) associated with the flash that is blasting toward Earth at about 900 kilometres per second, it said.

"Ground to air, ship to shore, shortwave broadcast and amateur radio are vulnerable to disruption during geomagnetic storms. Navigation systems like GPS can also be adversely affected," it said.

The X-flare seems to have been timed to China and other Asia DX spots, so we are awaiting today's arrival - or not. I, too, have uneasy feelings about this and the earthquakes, not only in AR, but worldwide in the last 48 hours. I sincerely hope that we are not going to experience an "OOPS! occurrence.

In Peace & Light
tfw

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Woohoo baby!!! It's been almost 12 years since the last time I saw the Northern Lights!! Time to set my alarm for 3am, but who cares!!! Might even sell a few pics to the local rag!!!

The pro's always outways the con's.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Really nothing of yet and me thinks several hours away.Probably 3-4 hrs could be wrong.,I just wanta see if it does the same as 0059 on the 15th feb and survive with communications intact.Its a test to see if events unfold in recurrence of that arrival..Maybe the invisible awaiting infrastructure that everybodies conspiratating about will roll out as would be expected,or will give the officials a kick in the butt..
edit on 17-2-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

im in glasgow and i havent had any problems with my electricity..not even a glitch on the tv....

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
What time does this hit earth?

What time (GMT) would i be best going outside?

EDIT: Never mind, I found out: it's 3AM.

edit on 17-2-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Looking at the space weather site, we should be able to see the aurora as far south as North Africa.

Here

According to a site (Found Link) that would be a 8+ flare.

Infact this will be perfect.. Got to wake the missus at 3.30 GMT for a flight to Rome..

I'll have the DSLR and the Flip Mino ready..

edit on 17/2/2011 by UKWO1Phot because: to add

edit on 17/2/2011 by UKWO1Phot because: found link

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I really don't think that this is the one that will incinerate the people of earth lol. Sometimes I find that ppl here are just as fear-mongers as the established fear-mongers. Hopefully I'll get to see a light show though

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Devilyouknow2

The point I'm interested in is that I'll get a chance to see the Aurora..

Don't you want to see that in your own home??

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hello everyone, a newbie here
. I have been watching this development here in Australia. Today this article was posted in our news
www.abc.net.au...
A couple of questions....
If it hits the Northern hemisphere will the southern hemisphere be affected?
also
Would batteries still work?
All the best to you all.
with love

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
tonights forecast... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance of DOOM! muwhahahhaha

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join