It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive solar flare hits Earth tonight

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by PinkAndBlack

ZELDA?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
this wee flare will be nothing to worry about, but could be cool to see. Strange things are happening though - the Highlanders are currently beating the Hurricanes! (rugby union) When the big flare hits in 2012/2013 though, that may cause some damage. Everyone will probably be fine, but can you imagine if it actually did knock out all the electricity globally?! People here in Sydney freak out when the power goes out in a block or two for a few hours!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I just went out (Northern Wisconisn) I don't see anything. The aurora image on spaceweather.com showed the orange part of the image hitting the northern states like the aurora had just intensified super fast and I went outside and I saw nothing. By the time I got back inside the image was back to how's it's been all night. I was only out there for 5 mins.

That was strange.

edit on 18-2-2011 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2011 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Hmmm we had some lightning yesterday GMT+2 at 1am... Was quite nice
. Would be interesting if the sun had an effect... But yeah... Still had to go to work at 6am

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DarcyD28

Go bulls!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AstroBuzz

Refresh this page pretty often and you'll be able to know when to go outside. It kind of pulsates up and down in intensity, and if you look at the 6 latest images towards the middle of the page, that huge amount of pressure on the fields was probably what they were showing on their map. It can go away quickly, though, so you gotta stay on top of it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Daylight now and the clouds have buggered off!
Typical

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

spaceweather.com
that site shows the current size size and where its visible.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bossdog82
But channel 7 has this, It seems it could hurt chinas communications
au.news.yahoo.com...

This happened to China on Tuesday, and the day before the GPS wasn't working in my truck. The boss thought it was broken, but it suddenly came good the next day and has been ok all week.

But the GPS in the other truck was working fine, so who knows?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kykweer

Nou dit is a goeie comment!

Dit sal interesant wees more met die Leeus en die Bulle.

As for the solar flare, only hot weather down here in cape town, not much else to see
we never get the cool stuff.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
its good to hear that others too think the moon is very bright. when i originally posted it i thought i might get howled down......

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth

I believe its because the atmosphere has been pierced. So the Moon shines brighter, due to the layer being opened by an object coming into our atmosphere. Solar flares have nothing to do with the Moon itself being brighter.

Hmm interesting, but if that were the case wouldn't it only appear brighter to those directly under the opening with a direct line of sight from the person through the hole to the moon? Many people on here from all over are reporting the bright moon, unless the opening in the atmosphere is as big as North America then I'm not too convinced with this theory. Or maybe there's many holes?

I mean, you say the atmosphere has been pierced, by what? What object came into our atmosphere? If it was the solar flare that pierced it then that would be in contradiction to what you said about solar flares having nothing to do with the moon being brighter.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

well they may be hyping this up a bit, but we didn't have any outages the only thing is my GPS messed up yesterday and I got lost! That's about it. Otherwise we are doing well here in Maine.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

i live in the south east of england, near portsmouth. we try having a look around three am to see if i can see anything, doubt i will c jack shi*. its been very cloudy this week. i once see the northern lights when i was in scotland some years ago. bloody amazing view.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I guess im pretty lucky i get to see them all winter long and sometimes in the summer but very rarely.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Yes yes. Yet another interesting cosmic event...I swear everytime there is something of interest in the sky the clouds show up. Solar/lunar eclipses, now this...I hate them!

Oh and, I think the solar flare rush is over.

Look at the older pictures, it's almost over. So nothing happened. I'm not surprised...I'm waiting for the real flares!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I grew up on the Shetland Islands you can see them there in the winter so you could afford to go and see them its not that far and its not that expensive just a thought

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Just went to my website - 2 or 3 people complaining of computer problems, other than that I think all is well. I lost my tool bar - have no idea where it went, hope to find it later

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth

It was pretty large, and if you got a lot of ultraviolet energy that you cannot see traveling at 900km/sec, Then that's what caused the opening in our atmosphere. For it being brighter think of it as sunglasses, if you got protection from light then take them off, things seem brighter right? Well the atmosphere is our Ray-Bans of the Earth. I don't know where you said I was contradicting. I seen it on the West Coast, people reported seen it on the East Coast.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Might not be over after all. We're being bombarded really hard here:

Still no major power failures. By the way, the Sun had another M6.6 flare today!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join