It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret commandos accidentally detained at Tim Hortons

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

Do you expect the rest of the world to know what a Starbucks or McDonald's is or do you just think it makes you sound big to rag on another country. You are the worst sort of American -- worldly ignorant and jingoistic.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Good yarn...and so very Canadian. But down that way, you never know - could be bikers, could be smugglers - JTF-2 wouldn't have been my first guess, but kudos to all for a situation well handled. Large double-doubles all around!

edit on 17-2-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: clarity

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Of course they were pulled over by LEOs. They had donuts!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
reply to post by budaruskie

Do you expect the rest of the world to know what a Starbucks or McDonald's is or do you just think it makes you sound big to rag on another country. You are the worst sort of American -- worldly ignorant and jingoistic.

Dear Diary,

Today I replied in a post on the net. I did not offer any real contribution, but I did insult someone.
It was a good day.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Well thats all very well , and I appreciate your right to bare arms. But in Canada, no such right exists, or at least not in the same way, certianly not with regard to public carriage . I think hunting weapons are allowed but I believe there are some pretty tough rules about transporting such items. This means that the only people carrying weapons of any nature in public in Canada, are either cops, military , or armed sociopathic criminals intent on the destruction of a nations peace. In that scenario, its pretty important that any ununiformed men who appear to be in a position to start a war with what they have on them, are reported to the authorities with all due haste!

Oh, yeah. And those "armed sociopathic criminals intent on the destruction of a nation' peace...."
Yep. Those guys are easy to spot usually, because they religiously stop for coffee and donuts at the "official" cop stop place. Masterminds that they are, they first wanted to draw the attention of the public as they are on their way to the next incident of terror and destruction on their "To Do" list. Or maybe they were on their way home from a caper. Makes perfect sense to me somehow. Join the hysteria I always say, rationalize it anyway you want if we are all safe.

So these guys were "heavily armed" in a country where you cannot legeally carry? What the Hell were they thinking!!! And what wasa the reporting person thinking? Oh, right, the hysteria thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Well thats all very well , and I appreciate your right to bare arms. But in Canada, no such right exists, or at least not in the same way, certianly not with regard to public carriage . I think hunting weapons are allowed but I believe there are some pretty tough rules about transporting such items. This means that the only people carrying weapons of any nature in public in Canada, are either cops, military , or armed sociopathic criminals intent on the destruction of a nations peace. In that scenario, its pretty important that any ununiformed men who appear to be in a position to start a war with what they have on them, are reported to the authorities with all due haste!

Oh, yeah. And those "armed sociopathic criminals intent on the destruction of a nation' peace...."
Yep. Those guys are easy to spot usually, because they religiously stop for coffee and donuts at the "official" cop stop place. Masterminds that they are, they first wanted to draw the attention of the public as they are on their way to the next incident of terror and destruction on their "To Do" list. Or maybe they were on their way home from a caper. Makes perfect sense to me somehow. Join the hysteria I always say, rationalize it anyway you want if we are all safe.

So these guys were "heavily armed" in a country where you cannot legeally carry? What the Hell were they thinking!!! And what wasa the reporting person thinking? Oh, right, the hysteria thing.

I appreciate your dislike of "hysteria" , I myself suffer because of social conventions which dictate that my apperance (that of a metal head) can be somewhat disturbing to the older generation, and worrysome to the ignorant. However, that social convention is based on a fallacy, that anyone who appears to be different to yourself is somehow wrong and dangerous. People here in Britain have been kicked to death in the street just for listening to the music I listen to, and dressing in a similar fashion to the way I dress. I know plenty about hysteria. But the difference is, where I merely look to the ill educated and uncultured like a threat, these men with thier enourmous guns, and no uniform or identifying marks what so ever, didnt just LOOK dangerous. These men merely WERE dangerous, and the only thing that made the thing a comedy of errors, was the fact that these gentlemen were in fact Special Forces.
If they HAD of been operatives outside the law, then even you in your infinite (HA!) wisdom cannot possibly comment on the probability of them being in a Tim Hortons or anywhere else for that matter. You simply havent got a clue! Its not hysterical to think that armed unmarked men, pose a threat.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
i am from California originally so firearms in anybodys hands or on thier person besides a cop is a danger for sure..but then I moved to Bonners Ferry and realiazed I've just been sheltered...not a day went by up there that i didnt see heavily armed men and women in stores coffee shops and places like that so I became accustomed to it.. Big bears dont die easily or moose or any other dangerous animal for that matter, if I called the cops everytime I saw a assault rifle and handguns the cops would have laughed me right outta town...but maybe the gun laws are different in Canada than Idaho causing the suspicion...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I do not believe you read the article thoroughly. HEAVILY armed , is how the men are described. If they were wearing pistols at thier hips and no other weapons , then you would be closer to the mark with your comments. However, heavily armed suggests pistols, smgs, rifles, shotguns, and the possibility of grenades to me.

I believe it is you who did not read the article well. No where does it even insinuate they were carrying all these weapons you magically extrapolate from the article. And in fact it says they don't know what scared the person into calling. My guess is at best someone saw a partially concealed weapon and thier media programming kicked in and they freaked out. At worst the camo frightened them
I highly doubt theses gents walked into a coffee shop with grenades strapped to thier chest and M4's slung over thier shoulders.

Oh and by the way Canadians do have the right to keep and bear arms in self defense as rights are not granted by constitutions and other such pieces of paper, but only illustrated by them. Rights are inherent to all humans. Canadians along with others have just not asserted those rights and tried to protect them as much as Americans have.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

*facepalm*

How embarrassing...

Frankly I don't know who to blame for this mess. The JTF-2 operatives who should've been concealing their profession in a, how should I say, MORE PROFESSIONAL MATTER; the authorities not having better communication with themselves, at least so the police could tell the difference between a criminal and the JTF-2; or the civilian who should've just minded their own business (I bet he ran into some interesting encounters with "burly men" after this incident
).

www.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

Should've just minded thier own business? Why the hell are you even here? Tell you what, never mind the motto of this website, you just go right ahead and embrace ignorance, just put on some Celine Dion, get a bottle of Merlot from the wine store, put your best silk undies on, and get real hot and close , with ignorance. Go for it.
Meantime, the rest of us will freely admit that any member of the public, in any nation who FAILS to report a sighting of unidentified, un uniformed, heavily armed, burly guys, out at large in public view is a bloody idiot.

First of all, I am a Canadian. I've been to Tim Horton's hundreds of times. I have friends who work there. Hell, I even boned a few workers from there.

Point is, I know Tim Horton's culture pretty damn well. I have seen many police, security, military, and a few sketchy looking people in Tim Horton's before. Maybe this might just be a regional difference in culture between BC and Ontario, but here when people go to Tim Horton's, they buy their coffee/donut/whatever and stay out of other people's business, regardless of what they look like.

These are commandos, so obviously they are big guys that look tough. So are a lot of other regular people in Canada.

But even so, if these guys were so sketchy that some guy phoned them in, then why the hell didn't everyone else there phone them in? Why wasn't SRT called in, considering no regular cop would want to take on multiple tough guys?

The point that I am trying to make, is that the guy who phoned them in should have just minded his own damn business. This is what happens when you have neo-cons running the government, spreading the false assumptions that there are domestic terrorists all around us and we need to rat on them (which, by the way, is part of Harper's new criminal policies).

Oh and by the way, where was it ever stated that they were heavily armed? Nobody walks around urban Canada with visible weapons, unless you're a cop with a sidearm. If they were heavily armed in a Tim Horten's, which would already be a political catastrophe for the Conservative feds, then it would be part of a counter-terror op there and there wouldn't be ANYONE ELSE there buying coffee or donuts.

They weren't heavily armed. And even if they did have sidearms, who the hell else in Canada walks around with exposed weapons other than government officials like police/conservation officers/CSIS/military/etc? Nobody.

The guy who called them in was probably a moron who spent too much of his life sitting in front of a TV watching movies and playing video games.

spikey-
I realise this is a bit of a light hearted thread, but i completely agree with TrueBrit here.

The last thing the member of the public, who spotted these guys (probably saw concealed weapons) or overheard them talking about an 'op' perhaps, would be to simply ignore it and keep quiet.

As TrueBrit says, what if they were planning a hit, a kidnap, a 'T' event, or even a plain old bank job?

Why would JTF-2 operatives be talking like that? Especially when they are in the area for training exercises? They are specifically trained to keep their mouths shut and act like civilians. In fact, most defensive JTF-2 operations have revolved around protecting VIPs or political officials in foreign places where the JTF-2 operatives act just like tourists, except they are packing coms and guns (heard this straight from the canadian forces).

If I ran into special forces operatives inside a Tim Horton's, I would know it and be honored. Perhaps the guy who called them in got offended and decided to make trouble for them.

Ignoring them and keeping quiet in those circumstances could have got someone killed.

As opposed to calling the cops, having the operatives pulled over on a highway, and then the cops pull their guns on them in a "high-risk takedown" (which is what happened)? Oh, and the article also mentions that the operatives were cuffed and placed on the side of the road so lots of traffic could get a good look at them. What if a foreign intel agencies was following these guys? Could've got a lot of nice pictures to keep tabs.

Frankly I am very surprised that it wasn't the JTF-2 that took down and cuffed the cops.

Even if these guys were some hardcore drug runners or gang members, it is the STUPIDEST idea to phone the cops on them. That's a good way to cause a lot of trouble for yourself down the road. Leave professional games to the professionals.

aliensun-

Exactly. Why would a bunch of criminals, in Canada, casually walk into a Tim Hortons (of all places) visibly armed, or even trying to draw attention in the least? I'm sure that the guy who called them in was probably hysterical and people around him were thinking "what an idiot, I hope I don't get involved in this".

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Maybe some old boys in the corner just decided to have a little floor show with their coffee.
Ive seen worse up here...just fer fun eh?
Timmy hoes donughts suck like slew water......yeeeech! tasteless crud.
People who eat too many end up looking like one.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join