It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreign hackers attack Canadian government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Foreign hackers attack Canadian government

sync.sympatico.ca

An unprecedented cyberattack on the Canadian government from China has given foreign hackers access to highly classified federal information, and forced at least two key departments off the internet, CBC News has learned.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Looks like the attack came from Chinese sources during January. The article claims that the attacks successfully penetrated the Finance Department and Treasury Board, so it looks pretty important.

Of course, the federal government claims that it's no big deal without discussing details...

Wasn't Anonymous traced back to Chinese sources before? Though I guess accessing sensitive budget information is a bit above them (or is it?).

sync.sympatico.ca

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Wish our government would just come out and say what was taken. I know, the truth is a lot to ask from a PM isn't it...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
hoy s**t then looks like China can simply lauch a cyber attack against the US without batting an eye

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Canada?
Why would China have any reason to mess with Canada?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpreadLoveNotHate
Wish our government would just come out and say what was taken. I know, the truth is a lot to ask from a PM isn't it...

That's true. I even have a copy of "Harperland" right in front of me as I type this; it gives some pretty good insight into Harper's political rule. I'll admit, Harper definitely has his act together and runs an effective government. However, his values are definitely of a neo-conservative agenda, and really don't reflect the will of the Canadian people.

Hell, I went to the store earlier and do you know how expensive food is here? Most cans of soup cost $2.50-$3.00. A kg of ground beef is around $7.50. A bottle of ketchup is about $5.00.

I hear that, since Harper cut off subsidaries for food transport to the arctic regions, most families up there pay up to $100 a day just for groceries!

All Harper seems to care about is National Defense and security agreements with the Americans. His solution to better economic conditions is to basically nullify any border constraints with the US for easy traffic.

I bet now he will spin this cyber security breach in such a way that we will now need American Cyber Command to take over our cyber security too, just like Northcom runs our armed forces.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by FTD Brat

They do it for the llllluuuuuuuullllllllzzzzzzzz!!! No but seriously, they did it because they can. Who is gonna bad mouth China, when every country in the world is in debt to them. Also, to get information. China is expanding their empire from the inside out. Mark my words, more cyber attacks will happen, and they will all be traced to China.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FTD Brat

Canada?

Well first of all, we have a lot of Chinese immigrants here. Immigration is one of our major political issues, and the government plans to only allow in more immigrants who are economically viable (as in, available to work for cheap wages to stimulate our own growth). In doing so, our government plans to cut the amount of older immigrants allowed into the country down by a serious margin.

Secondly, China is one of our big trading partners (aside from our primary trading partner, the US). We want better relations with China, but Harper, the neo-con that he is, is always pressuring China about its domestic problems, mostly because Harper is a rabid anti-leftist.

But in my opinion, China has been operating cyber attacks for awhile now, and it would be in their interest to understand the Canadian economy/budget. This is especially important if they plan/are engaged in a trade war against the West, since Canada and the US are major trading partners.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Good they should release the stuff they got so that Canadians can get out of their little bubble that everything is fine here. We are just as messed up as the states but we try to pretend that we're better off.

Wait till the housing market collapses, that will be a blast. I own a $400,000 home that's worth about 50k less now, and I live in one of the richer cities in Canada.

I hope they release these documents as I do not believe in secrecy. Freedom and secrecy do not intermingle well.

Pred...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FTD Brat

Canada?

I was thinking the same thing. Hell, we threw a multi-billion dollar party/advertisement for them to come to us for tourism, under the guise of the Olympics.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Why mess with Canada?
Oil sands, uranium, potash.
It would be commercial hacking, Canada has huge resources, and China is sinking huge money into securing resources.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Colbomoose

I disagree about the oil sands. There have been studies to show more energy and fuel is used in extracting the oil than the resulting gain. Until they invent an energy efficient system it's not our biggest or most coveted resource.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Of course, the federal government claims that it's no big deal without discussing details...

Wasn't Anonymous traced back to Chinese sources before? Though I guess accessing sensitive budget information is a bit above them (or is it?).

sync.sympatico.ca

Well the government, no matter where one is would say that, because it is not in thier interest to reveal to the public that they have singularly failed to secure the private , confidential data that keeps the ecconomy moving. However, most folks know that near everything said by politicians is bogus, and grounds to have them terminated for lying to the people paying thier wages.
On the subject of Anonymous, they are a world wide disorganisation of individuals. There are groups of them, most of whom have never met eachother knowingly, all over the planet. You could trace Anon to any nation on the planet with an internet connection, because the cheeky buggers are everywhere. Theres alot wrong with Anonymous, namely the activities on some of the less reputable of thier hangouts, but one thing they are not, is affiliated to, or allied with, the interests of any one nation, creed, or religion, except thier own. I may not agree with everything they do , or that happens around them, but I cannot abide by the suggestion that they are a tool of any one government. They are legion, sure, and effective at messing people up on the internet, absolutely. But they arent the puppets of the chinese or anyone else for that matter.

top topics

join