It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just recieved a free welfare phone!! I am not happy.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FunSized

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by Wolf321
It isn't the governments place to provide things, but to ensure the freedom for individuals to pursue the things they desire.

I guess that's why some parts of the USA resemble the third world! It's simply not possible for some people (for whatever reason) to pursue the things they desire. Perhaps one day if you find yourself in a gutter, your position may change. Until then, consider yourself lucky!

IRM :shk:

I was in the gutter, born blind and crippled to a divorced single mother. I WORKED my way out of that gutter by putting myself through college while helping my mother support my three younger siblings.
If I can do it anyone can! Why do you ignorantly assume that everyone apposed to welfare must be 'lucky' or 'rich'?

You appear to have missed the entire point of my post. You must remember that not everyone is you either. Everyone's story is different and as humans we all respond in different ways to adversity. You have also misquoted me with the 'rich' comment. No biggie... You're free to feel whatever way you wish, but just because you've experienced low points in your own life, doesn't give you the right to judge others for which you know nothing about. Now that is what I would consider ignorance!

IRM

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Hmmm....I recently left employment with my county's Social Services/Welfare office last May and I never once heard of anyone receiving a "welfare phone." Is this a new program? I worked the front desk and interacted with clients and most of them had their own cell phones but not from us. I'll have to call my friend that still works there because it's not ringing a bell (pun intended)...interesting. I think sometimes the elderly or sick, etc. could get their phone bill paid if they qualified. Well, I guess it's the new age of technology and a cell phone is now considered a basic need like food, heat, shelter and healthcare? My experience from working there is that most of the people hated coming in to ask for help and didn't want to be there but really had no other choice. There were a only a couple/few people that really made my skin crawl and that was in a time period of about eight years. I Do Not miss working there, though...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Man, that's the same phone I have!( for work only) but I had to 15$ for the phone and 20$ a month for 200 minutes. thats 300$ for 250 min a month for 12 months....How is the fed going to pay for that en mass? That's my yearly car insurance for christ sake.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobra5000

Who is really benefiting from this program? Certainly not the taxpayer. I'll put my money on the cell phone companies. They want their piece of the pie too, just like all the other companies that have convinced the government to waste taxpayer money so that they can line their coffers.

i think your spot on. whilst i believe the service does help some who are in debt, unemployed, and would never be able to afford a phone, i believe you are close with why these schemes are set up and who benefits the most from it.

i discovered a month or so ago (at least i was told by somebody who would know), that the government in the U.K. are offering incentives to companies to create jobs, i was told one of the incentives was offering money to companies who have a certain amount of jobs being advertised to the public(job creation in difficult times, sounds like a good idea.), i was also told that some companies were advertising 'pretend' jobs as a result in order to be entitled to the 'incentives'.

so it just shows you what some companies will do, if they see a opportunity. to me it is claiming tax payers money in a dishonest way and is no different to benefit fraud. surely they know about it, but who knows.

edit on 20-2-2011 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2011 by lifeform11 because: typing errors

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

edit on 21-2-2011 by name pending because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
i was sent a message on the free phone I have that says i can add minutes for 3 bucks! I don't know if that offer is always on the table but when it is, it's good for people who are short on cash but need to make a call or hold them over till payday in case an important call comes in. Even if I'm totally broke, I can usually scrounge up at least three bucks. Sure beats having to ask someone for 15-30 bucks.
edit on 21-2-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
Beware of that little "free" phone. It does come with 250 per month, however if you want or need to add minutes the charges are crazy. The thing is you can buy a trac phone card to replace the minutes, but many retailers add additional fees because of the type of phone, and not all retailers will deal them.

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
There was great anger at the welfare state and back then it was pretty much food stamps and HUD... where's the anger at the current repackaged welfare state which includes ammenities being subsidized by the workers' tax dollars? Where's the outrage?

That's not quiet true, I have addressed this in my previous posts here, here, here and regarding mins here

I don't know the government gives out phones (in only 24 states mind you), personally I do think it has something to do tracking or some sort of study.

It's 33 states actually.

reply to post by Amaterasu

You can always change you're plans to 125 mins or 250 mins, it would be more helpful to you and they are free too. Go through the links I posted above.

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by liejunkie01

I have a problem with the folks offering these breaks when they are using my money to do it. I don't recall ever handing over discretionary control of the fruits of my labors to anyone aside from my wife, yet the bastards in DC sure seem to believe they have every right to abuse our dollars in any way they see fit.

Being a mod I thought you would probably deny ignorance, such a shame. No one is using you're money to provide these phones. I have addressed these before go through the links I posted above.

Originally posted by QuantumDisciple
What kind of phone is it?

It's a basic phone, Motorola W175G is the model. You can only make phone calls to send text messages nothing else.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I just called a local Illinois Welfare office, and I asked if one was on benefits, does the state give welfare beneficiaries a free cell phone with up to 250 monthly minutes, and she said she had never heard of such a program. She had never heard of Safelink either.

Safelink must do this on their own for welfare beneficiaries then, why would the welfare lady tell me this, and the OP claim otherwise? OP is claiming the government and taxes pay for this program.

Whats the real deal?

The real deal is OP is incorrect in assuming tax payers pay for this phone or the federal government is paying for it. I have explained this briefly in my previous post on this thread on page 4 here. Read about it and just receiving welfare does not make you eligible for this program, there are certain other requirements too which you can read in my previous posts.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Well...someone's whipped!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Well...someone's whipped!

for getting a free phone? there's plenty of women in this world who wouldn't have even told anyone about the phone so they wouldn't be asking to use the minutes.... and she brings him the phone...gives HIM the phone... and he's whipped?

Holy jesus... I can't believe i just read that, It's just a damn phone that you pay nothing for...who the hell cares? It might be different if he lived a top secret bunker or something and wasn't allowed to have the phone in the first place.... It's just a damn phone.... ALL of our phones could be tapped.

what in the... hmmm, this is just like watching a movie with a really bad script or something. I don't even know what this is.

keep it real, y'all, keep it real. Jeepers.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
people in here are like "that's a really big decision to make regarding a phone... I would NEVER do that"

girl wanted to give her bf a phone because he had to get rid of his!

She TOLD him.... he didn't pay any attention.

...but he's whipped.

I'm just sitting here shaking my head at the shame in what I just read.
I'm not even joking.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I personally believe that the government was so quick to fund this so the people who cannot afford a tracking device issued by a wireless country are now equipt with one from the government NEW WORLD ORDER big brother is watching and maybe even listening when you least expect it

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Like i said before and ill say it again.Giving people who cannot afford a phone from a wireless dealer a free phone is just another way to give tracking devises to the people who cannot afford them Now big brother is setting its plan into motion NEW WORLD ORDER how much privacy do you really have?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Yeah, I too thought it was a scam, or at least had strings attached, after all, nothing is free anymore, is it? So, I put in my wife's name and low and behold she got one in the mail a few days later. I thought the States were broke? Take 10,000 cell phones with 250 monthly minutes and add that all up.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I rolled for about 3 years without a cell, and all I had to give out to employers was a message number I had set up for free through the state. Of course I never got a job. I think its sort of a no brainer that if your expected to get a job, you have to have a good number you can be reached at. Some people don't want a job, those are probably the people rejecting the free phone, or as in my case, cell phone usage causes my eyes to blink uncontrolably from the radiation output.

I can understand your situation that you don't feel you need one, but welfare receipents are required by law to be available and looking for work. If your girlfriend is the recipient, maybe she had better hang on to it. The way I see it is when rent is $600 a month and a car payment is $300 a month on top of insurance, you don't really have much left out of $385 a month.

If the welfare recipient isn't currently looking for work, I promise that its a short phase and you will be forced to look or be missing your welfare.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

the real question is "are these phones bugged?"
like to OP said 'nothing in life is free' or something.

yes, i'm on foodstamp
yes, i'm poor
yes, i don't work
yes, i'm broken *neck but still mobile*
yes, society has built most of the newer generation like this

but NO, i don't feel like i'm entitled to any of it
an i know that i don't deserve it, so with what i get i try to build up on it so that when *SHTF* i'll be able to help others.

i know people where i lived that were of the mentality that they do deserve it, all of it
the money, the 'benefits' but didn't spend any time working.

more time spent on the line for welfare than seeking employment
while i don't work *at a 'job'* i do work at home, working of being "self sufficient"

parable of the men who received the talents helps some.
and i rather get some profit than become stagnant.

but yeah, shame on those of us who receive this with open arms and w/o any shame, knowing that others are paying for our livelihood and we are 'entitled' to it because we are citizens.

i'm ashamed for those of us who take these things so lightly *me included*

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Ours and your tax dollars pay for those cell phones. Because you have ployed your unfortunate situation doesnt' make it any better. What is your complaint already? You got a free cell phone. Now you're complaining.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ss830

I just had to comment SS. You worked for many years of your life before you became dissabled, therefore your entitled. Because you are on food stamps, you ALSO qualify for the free phone.

Just saying.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
There are 1 in 6 in america in poverty ......tell me that is good
edit on 6-3-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by itsthetooth

i worked for a while, but i was hurt before i was able to work by something i did at the age of 13, and i don't believe that i'm entitled to any help especially since i brought the damage unto myself.

I don't believe i should get a cent off of welfare or disability or even food stamps, since it breeds laziness and dependance on the government.
On that same note, i'm not some fool who will pass off a chance to get something w/little work while at the same time trying to build up on my self dependance and stop leeching off of the actual hard working men and women in this country.

no one is entitled to the money that others have worked for whether disabled, unemployed or unable to make enough money to make it through the month/week. to be forced to pay taxes so that others don't have to work as hard is a form of corruption.

i have a solution, but everyone is fearful of it since it's considered evil, but i'll say it.

SLAVERY!
THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!

but not the old fashioned beat your slave to death slavery, but sell your service to pay off debts and save money to buy your own land and self dependence.

"but slavery is bad"...... why??

"cus people beat their slave".........really?? REALLY??

did you know that HERE in America (US), there were also WHITE SLAVES??

think on that, slavery needs to have rules and regulations to protect the slaves from abuse and protect the *master* owner from prosecution, "slaves" have the protection of their masters and "slaves" have a purpose, not just wasting time getting deeper into debt. THAT is better than giving away your hard earn money, to someone who doesn't feel they are obligated to work to pay off their debts or support their family.

we're all slaves anyways, so we might as well do it in public rather that playing the hypocrite.
*# we don't even own our own land*

This is YOUR America, and your descendants, my blood will end with me *if there isn't any positive change*

but w/e, enjoy your "freedom" working every day to exhaustion and paying taxes so others who are "entitled" to it can get it for free.

or try and change the system so that you can own, * i mean own and not have to pay property taxes or other scams*, your own land and live off it w/out having to pay anyone anything EVER, unless you want to. NO TAXES!

hell, i won't even receive any welfare, of SS or any benefits and i approve of this!

what do i know though, blacks don't want slavery, whites don't want slavery, asians don't want slavery, everyone in between doesn't want slavery, but they want to leech off of everyone else w/out work involved.

"FREEDOM!!WHOOOO!"

Q's?

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join