It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just recieved a free welfare phone!! I am not happy.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
of all the crap our government spends money on, you choose this (and welfare) to get mad about?!?! what about the ba-zillions we constantly send all over the world? might as well see an american get something. besides even if the government was to one day stop all social programs, you think for one second they are not gonna allocate every last cent of that to something else?

I would take this phone in a heartbeat, hell every little bit helps nowadays. christ sakes I just got gas at $3.30gl, and since I'm outta work I've been selling and pawning everything I have. last year when I was out of work I tried everything till eventually I did pharma studies till my vein turned to shiz from the countless 100's of needle sticks.

some of you people need to really think twice before you go calling some others lazy, and alot of places there is NO JOBS!!!! I figure if uncle sam is gonna give MY tax dollars to a bunch of people who are here illegally, and collect on welfare, I might as well to. I have no criminal record, served my country, did everything the "right" way.
I used to sit and slam on poor people to, but eventually it will happen to everyone at the rate this pro-corp world is going.

[SNIP] THE GOVERNMENT, TAKE WHAT YOU CAN FROM THEM WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!
edit on 17-2-2011 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-2-2011 by projectvxn because: MOD EDIT: DO NOT CIRCUMVENT CENSORS

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Mind you, my post wasn't trying to accuse you of not having honor. I was only pointing out that there's something very messed up when we have people with so-called "good paying" jobs that are forced to make difficult decisions like "Can we afford the Oreo cookies this week, or should we stick to the cheap hydrox cookies?" or "We really need the $15 a month extra it costs us to carry the 300 minutes a month plan, so we're gonna have to stop calling Nana 3,000 miles across the country twoce a week so she can talk to her grandkids and drop down to the bare bones 100 minutes/month plan."

I've commented on my childhood on ATS before and stated that I grew up working class poor. We never went hungry, my dad made too much to qualify for assistance, but by the same token, we didn't have even dial-up internet until I was in college and could pay that bill myself, never had cable outside of a little satelite dish that he found at a junk sale that picked up about 10 channels (pirate-style), and most of the crap people take for granted today were luxuries to us back then. This was way, way, way back... like 15-20 years ago.
It rubs me the wrong way to see people who are fighting a gross uphill battle on both sides of the phantom American poverty line, but somehow on folks on the lower side of that line deserve to catch breaks.

The truth is, I don't blame the folks who take full advantage of the system. If somebody offers you a break by all means, take it. I sure as hell would. I have a problem with the folks offering these breaks when they are using my money to do it. I don't recall ever handing over discretionary control of the fruits of my labors to anyone aside from my wife, yet the bastards in DC sure seem to believe they have every right to abuse our dollars in any way they see fit.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by name pending

And

reply to post by weedwhacker

Thank you for the Info, I know a few house holds that could really use this
I live near a lot of elderly and well I looked into it but

Safelink what is nice is they have a little map
its yellow in my area but

Currently SafeLink is not providing service in this State. For further information about SafeLink Service in your area please contact your local Public Utilities Commission/Public Service Commission.

And also with the other link

Assurance Wireless is not currently available in your area.

We will be expanding to new areas in the future, so please check back with us soon.

Looking for other programs like this for them.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It seems easy to argue that this is a gratuitous waste of taxpayer money; however, it occurs to me that though people can certainly live without a cell phone, it is like so many other items that, particularly from modern technology, evolve from a luxury to a necessity in our society (whether it be running water, transportation or a house).

A parent on welfare should have cell phone access to save her life and the life of her children were she to be stranded from a bad car accident after working and picking kids up from a babysitter, for example. Some luxuries prove themselves to be, in a reasonable and just society, necessities. Medicine and medical technology are other areas where the cost is prohibitive to so many, but the costs are worth picking up in considering mortality can result from the denial of these services.

It is not progressive in any possible way to deny people who make less money, regardless of the reason (but particularly because their occupations or lives have been deemed less worthy than say a CEO I am familiar with who makes $300 an hour) normalized aspects of society than can be considered tools that sustain basic, common livelihood.

I can understand the opposing view of progressive taxation and that is a issue ... but also a different argument. I don't mind, and wish to pay taxes that provide services like this. But I understand that many do not ... or want the choice. But whether the tax payer pays for it from fees, the government pays for it from taxes or the phone companies pay for it through "largess" or subsidies, it's all the same ... the money comes from the same source.

I'd advocate stringently reduced minutes or perhaps emergency-only calls and other caveats, but if you could only use your cell phone for emergency calls, you'd be less likely to develop the habit of always having it with you which would defeat the purpose.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Relax man.. Accept the phone... Use it and ditch it once it's used up it's free time. Stop sweating the small things in life! No biggie! Just remember, that although you may not feel you need it, there are many people out there who benefit from such a service. I'm sure the government wastes money on much worse things.

IRM

I cannot use up the minutes.

It gets reloaded with 250 minutes every month.

So make a "silent statement" to them.
don't use the phone at all!

The will eventually see that some people just don't care, and just do not want it.

If enough people just set the phones aside, (and off), and don't use them...
They should get the hint.

*should* being the key word..
But when has that ever changed anything? lol

I think your feelings in regards to this are solid.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Did you expect everyone to applaud you? To applaud the guilt you feel for taking a free phone? I'm sorry but that is not me. Do not mistake my rant for hatred. As You are a human being, a US citizen, I consider you my brother. I do not know you or your story. The fact is, after I work an 18 hour day a small percentage of my hard earned money goes to You and the rest of the people on Welfare. I am only one of many who are effected by this. We are paying for your actions, your mistakes, your misfortunes. While I am happy you are working towards becoming a contributing member of society I remain frustrated that I am required by law to help finance this. I am a very generous man when I have something to give, when I have money to spare or time to spare. The days of spare cash and time are gone for me. Am I being self-righteous? Perhaps, I did forget to mention the millions of other Americans who are in my position. Perhaps I am the idiot. Maybe I should just join the system. That's it, get on Welfare and go mine gold or something. Maybe I don't need to worry about anything! I can just plan on the government to take care of me. Maybe the way to beat the system is to, in fact, join it! If everyone joins they will cancel it. Or they will continue to just print more money, in which case, the Gold Id be mining (while on Welfare) will be worth more! Sure I may feel a little guilty but I'm sure I'd get over it...

I'm beginning to think maybe you are a genius and should just quit school. Why waiste your time? This program isn't going away. In fact I bet this program is far more stable than any job your going to find. You don't need to worry about a retirement, the Gove has you covered! Thanks for leading me to this epiphany!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
some people cannot afford phones, giving them a phone gives them no excuse for not being able to be contacted for work offers, interviews etc.

i am certain some on welfare do not need this 'extra' service, but i bet some do.

people can argue about if it should happen, but the fact is the internet and being able to be contacted instantly are a must these days when looking for work, i think the government are just doing what they think is best to A) get people back into work and B) give no excuse to those whom do not want to work.

if the government provides everything you need to look for work with no expense to the person on benefits, how could you possibly have a excuse. trust me people come up with all types of excuses as to why they cannot work or why they missed that job opportunity.

i bet some of you would be shocked to learn that they may provide free internet to? a place they can go to look for jobs online, shocker! all they need now is a means of contact after applying for work, a contact number most employers ask for on their application forms.

edit on 17-2-2011 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

This program is only good for people who do not have a phone in their home. I have a boost phone and I just put minutes on as needed. I have lifeline service for my home phone. I would rather people have lifeline home service then a cell phone. Everyone needs some way to communicate with the outside world. If you have a home phone you should not be able to get this free cell phone. If you want it you would have to give up your home phone liifeline discount.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumDisciple

Did you know there is one public diamond mine in the USA?
Happy hunting.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by donatellanator

I'll stick with gold. Easy to covert to cash without a paper trail. Easier to find, but not as space efficient. $10k in diamonds takes up a fraction of the space $10k in AU does. Also a fraction of the weight. Gold is heavy, but it's weight is a sign of reliability. I live in CA, the Welfare Capitol, were AU is plentiful. This is looking like a great idea! Can you still own a firearm while on Welfare?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
having a mobile gives a welfare recipiant ease of access in contacting likely employers, not missing phone interviews or job prospects through any calls directed at them, it is just another advantage that may or may not help in finding work for oneself, same as how some welfare agencies may provide vouchers for fuel or transport options, clothes, tools, or subsidy payments to give these jobless a headstart to a working carreer and get off the welfare systems in place.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

As one who lost their job in 2006, has run out of money and family support, has applied to over 35,000 jobs, in person and on the web since, and is now on welfare (after being homeless), living on $543 a month TOTAL (including food stamps, rent and $38 to spend on TP, tissues, dish soap, laundry soap, laundry, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, dietary supplements, etc.), I have to say that I would be phoneless without this program. I get 68 minutes a month.

Employers could not call me, I could not call them, friends and family could not call in an emergency, and so on.

If you have issues, think about those of us who rely on that as a lifeline.

If thats all you get why not take a temp job at something...I think even wal mart and fast food pay that much. i also know people who are working already are more likely to get hired.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
[SNIP] THE GOVERNMENT, TAKE WHAT YOU CAN FROM THEM WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!
edit on 17-2-2011 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

You are not talking about the gov you are talking about hard working tax payers. they need their money so they will not be there too.
edit on 17-2-2011 by projectvxn because: MOD EDIT: Removed Profanity

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian
A parent on welfare should have cell phone access to save her life and the life of her children were she to be stranded from a bad car accident after working and picking kids up from a babysitter, for example. Some luxuries prove themselves to be, in a reasonable and just society, necessities. Medicine and medical technology are other areas where the cost is prohibitive to so many, but the costs are worth picking up in considering mortality can result from the denial of these services..

Here is the problem though...we are not on welfare and I cannot afford a cell phone to save my life. I am not on welfare and I have no medical insurance and cannot go to a free clinic, the way the system runs my brother who died from heroin was on disability and had free drug money while he sponged on others.
My neighbor sits on the deck all day and never even mows the grass...on welfare.. can see the Dr when injured or ill...can go to Wal-mart on "payday and fill a basket while i hardly ever buy anything...If things were run right we could all be safe and comfortable in this country but people who often don't even try have more then ones who try but just don't make enough $$. In our case because of a very poor pre-logging community but there are many reasons for low income.

edit on 17-2-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
After a little more consideration, I'd like to apologize to the OP for some of the harsh things I said. While it is likely your fault for the situation you are in, it is not your fault that the system is in place. You have kids and like any Father, you are doing what you can to provide for them. It is not your fault the Welfare program is in place. It is not your fault that all these handouts are at your disposal. It's my fault, it's the fault of every voting taxpayer who continues to re-elect politicians that support these programs. Again, my apologies.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yeah, I think those are valid issues that I probably agree with more than I don't. My main point, though, was to argue that, conceptually, it's absurd for people who make lower wages to get to play with our nice toys. Because I don't think that's valid, particularly in this instance.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
A free phone sounds like the government is trying to make up for making everyone
pay for a drug plan when discount drug plans were available for free before making
more money for the drug companies.
Too bad there is more bandwidth left after raking in millions they already have.
Enjoy.
Wait for the ripoffs to come.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
What kind of phone is it?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDisciple
After a little more consideration, I'd like to apologize to the OP for some of the harsh things I said. While it is likely your fault for the situation you are in, it is not your fault that the system is in place. You have kids and like any Father, you are doing what you can to provide for them. It is not your fault the Welfare program is in place. It is not your fault that all these handouts are at your disposal. It's my fault, it's the fault of every voting taxpayer who continues to re-elect politicians that support these programs. Again, my apologies.

Again Quantum. I am working to get myself out of this systematic hole that I have been in since I was born. Were you not born on this earth? I did not have the nice shoes growing up. My parents didn't have the flashy car. We rarely even went out to eat. What I am trying to say is...............

I am working on it.

I am working on bettering myself and my family.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
OMGosh Im in Chicago and I am an at home Mommy, these commercial air all day long during talk shows, court shows, along with all the "colleges" that will make you pay thousands to get a job making 8.00 an hour.

The commercials for these are horrendous, one shows two teenage girls, one girl is upset because she got cut off from her boyfriend because she couldn't afford her cell phone bill, the other girl jumps in and says, why worry, you can get one for free!!, and then the narrator continues to tell you how the gov. will give you a free cell phone, cut to the ending scene and the girl has her new free phone and says, "yes I would love to go out tonight Jake" turns to her friend and gives the thumbs up.

I almost thru a shoe at my TV when I seen that commercial.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join