It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just recieved a free welfare phone!! I am not happy.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Although I don't agree with you recieving a free phone some ppl do need it. I'm a representative payee, which means I help people with mental disablities and mental illness pay there bills and handle there finances. Some of these people who recieve ssi/ss/ssdi only recieve about $674-$694. There are some who recieve more but think about it, after you pay rent, utilities, and then money for food and personal items there's almost never anything left. Some people do deserve to get this free phone but most do not.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
As a girl who both loves and respects her man, I would NEVER EVER EVER make a decision - like getting a welfare cellphone - without his approval. (I would die before I accepted welfare anything)

The fact that your girl already asked, and you said NO, makes it worse than not even asking at all.

Just sayin - your wishes should be respected.

And as for the cellphone handouts - I can't even express how much that pisses me off. A phone is not a necessity. And 'emergency' is the lamest excuse ever... about as lame as 'for your protection'. If something is that important - that a person desperately needs it in a time of emergency - then I would assume that that person could find a way to pay for it with money that he has earned. Where there is a will there is a way. And worst case - people will have to choose which 'necessities' are more important, and get rid of some, such as internet or cable, so that they may AFFORD their shiny new cellphone... In other words, people should live within their means, like the average person must do.

Thank you for recognizing that something is not right with this picture. Most people just accept 'free' sh*t without questioning any further. Well, nothing is free. And as long as our gov't is handing out ''free sh*t', that means that I'm not free. You're not free. And we certainly are not 'free' from the responsibility of paying for this scam.

I say listen to your intuition - get rid of the phone.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
My Phone saves me tons of time... I can be where I need to be and not worry about missing a call, this helps me so much because I constantly need to be out and about and yet I constantly need to be in contact with people. I could live without a cell phone, that's for sure but it's definitely an asset which helps me and my business.

So there might be plenty of reasons the government might want to give you a free cell phone, just consider the fact that those cheap ass phones won't be sold and they'll be shipped out. Also consider how much it costs the phone company for you to make a call; next to nothing. So why are you bitching? They're feeding you leftovers, just enjoy it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

THIS. All of it.

My god I could rant for paragraphs on how frustrating it is to have a disability in this society. I'm looked on as a burden, and that the whopping $674 I get a month has me living in luxury. It's infuriating.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDisciple
Unbelievable! This is a huge reason why American is failing. Were do these people on Welfare get this sense of entitlement from?

I am poor too, it's not because I was too stupid to have sex without condoms and had a bunch of kids, it's not because I was duped into a marriage and pay every month for "vagimony," it's not because I did bad in school, or got laid off, or use drugs...you want to know why I am poor?

I am poor because it is I who is paying for your cellphone, your medicine, your schooling. I am paying to bail out huge corporations that made bad decisions. I am paying for aide in Egypt, AIDS relief in Africa, medicine for the illegals. I am footing your bills until you decide to become a MAN. Relief for the immigrants, relief for the poor, relief for the whales, relief for the relief. I am tax poor.

What do you think people did back in the Great Depression when they had nothing? Did they look to their neighbor for a handout? Did they come to the US Government for a free ride? No. They sacked up and did whatever it took to make ends. They took to fields and orchards, they did what you should be doing. Yet your hanging out on your computer, using the Internet, chatting away on ATS about your new phone.

When the economy collapses this country will be in serious trouble because this is the mentality of young men today.

Congrats on your new phone. I hope you finish school and that your testicles drop soon.

Wow such a harsh remark.

I am 32 years old. I have been employed for 12 years at the same job. I am doing my best to become independant from this system, I am about to graduate an undergraduate program. Read a little of my previous posts. I will not explain my situation to you. I am making preparations for the collapse. Being poor I can only take small steps.

Take your hatred, with your manly testicles to some other thread.

You are seriously self rightous.
Do not preach to me.
You do not even know me.
edit on 17-2-2011 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Thank you all for your posts....Even the ill informed posts...
Instead of replying to 20 people saying I agree. I will just star you.

For the people saying enjoy your phone in a sarcastic manner. Or saying that I wanted it. Or that I am gloating about recieving such a phone.

I did not want it. I totally disagree with this program. The program is out there. Take your aggression out on the people that implement such programs.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
i think these phones are for some special reason that we don't as of yet know about. The people that gets these phones are the ones who are on food stamps and/or Government assistance. They, the government may know something is about to happen and it would probably benefit them, the gov., to know where these peeps are because they know these people will be the first to riot when these services are cut off. Not saying this is the reason, but, there is some reason for it other than helping people because the gov. doesn't do that, they destroy people. Maybe it's because the cell phones put out microwaves that can cause cancer with continues use. Anyway, we should know soon why people are getting and using these phones. There a 2 companies giving them out. 1 gives you 59 mins (safe-link) the other gives you 250 free mins (Assurance) You can have both of these if your on gov. assistance, food stamps, medicade, etc....

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

That's terrible. Why don't you hang on to the phone and use it if you have an emergency. The phone probaby cost all of $3 so I wouldn't worry about the taxpayer.

Here in Florida they guarantee people their own Electric Scooters. I guess they cost a whole heap more than a telephone but the advertisement says..."we'll work with medicade and your insurance to get you your scooter absolutely free."

It is an electronic wheelchair. I saw a woman in her 60's driving one down the highway presumably on her way to Walmarts smoking a cigarette.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

That's terrible. Why don't you hang on to the phone and use it if you have an emergency. The phone probaby cost all of $3 so I wouldn't worry about the taxpayer.

Here in Florida they guarantee people their own Electric Scooters. I guess they cost a whole heap more than a telephone but the advertisement says..."we'll work with medicade and your insurance to get you your scooter absolutely free."

It is an electronic wheelchair. I saw a woman in her 60's driving one down the highway presumably on her way to Walmarts smoking a cigarette.

I have to hold on to it. I will only use it in emergencies. My girlfriend just called me on it. My daughter has had a flu bug for a few days now and she was at the doctor.

I disagree with the wheelchair thing too.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
am I the only one who sees the tracking device
given to a segment of the population?
Yes, come take our free phone,
now we can see exactly where you are
any time we want. Who needs RFID Chips
when they carry their free phones everywhere?

And if you have their free phone and their
GPS tracking places you in an industrial
site working when you have stated on ur
welfare application that you are not working.
They have proof, u r working if u take that
phone to work and u r busted for welfare
fraud.

I'd ditch it, like a hot potato,
preferably at least 50+ miles
from my residence.

I agree. Anyone using these for illegal purposes will be tracked (ie drug dealers, arms traders, etc) as well as the public at large for stastistics puposes (Gov can sell your info to advertisers too). They can probably tap it with ease. Listen for the click clicky click noise (you'll know what I mean when you hear it) while you're not using it.

Nothing is free in this world...
edit on 17-2-2011 by donatellanator because: aha

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by Wolf321
It isn't the governments place to provide things, but to ensure the freedom for individuals to pursue the things they desire.

I guess that's why some parts of the USA resemble the third world! It's simply not possible for some people (for whatever reason) to pursue the things they desire. Perhaps one day if you find yourself in a gutter, your position may change. Until then, consider yourself lucky!

IRM :shk:

If you do it FOR people they never even try! they stay down!
WhenI was 18 with a new baby and a 2 year old and my husband was working as a farm hand, we tried to save every penny and get a car, We streached our megar money and celebrated when i finaly didn't have to wash diapers by hand we got a washer...no dryer and i had 40 diapers at a time...cloth could not afford disposable.
The thing is that hard stage and life creats your values and teaches you how to get better and better, eventualy we started a business that when we divorced after 22 yrs was bringing in over a million a year. it would never have happened if we were handed things and did not feel pride at each goal gained.
A little help if someones babies are going without food or are cold should be the limit I think to develop strong people with pride in themselves and their accomplishments.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Wait... so we have large swaths of people in the USA who work their asses off to provide for their families and have been forced to make the difficult decision of canceling things like cell phone service to make sure they can cover necessities and yet the government is giving away phones & minutes to the poor?

Huge props to the member who asked why he was even working. I'm wondering the same right about now. The government wants to give the impoverished free phones, free health care, free foodstamps (I've seen you stampers in front of me in line at the grocery store... I see you buying the $3 a can Chunky Soup & $4.99 a bag Doritos while my kids eat "Shur-Fine" & "Great Value" products.) free housing, heating assistance, vehicles, free continuing education, free freaking everything. Why in the hell are the rest of us working? I'd like to sit on the dole, tying flies, watching TV, and fishing all day instead of supporting these insulting programs by busting my can at work 5 days a week, too.

The worst thing is people are supportive of this crap. I remember when we supposedly eliminated the welfare state in the late 80s. I remember the unmitigated joy of the working man who was sick and tired of supporting everyone who didn't want to work. There was great anger at the welfare state and back then it was pretty much food stamps and HUD... where's the anger at the current repackaged welfare state which includes ammenities being subsidized by the workers' tax dollars? Where's the outrage?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
So you are working and you accepted a phone intended for welfare recipients, then you get angry that this program exists and use it to attack Obama? Even after another poster has pointed out that Obama did not start this program and the phones and service are not paid for by taxpayers? This thread is full of fail. If you are so enraged by the program, return the phone. Your girlfriend cannot call you on the home phone? What did you do before you got the free phone, intended for welare recipients?

The program has merit. People on welfare who are looking for jobs may not have home phones and will need to contact employers and have employers contact them.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Has anybody heard of the National Broadband plan? The cell phones are just the tip of the ice burg. A selling point.

You are going to feel this "plan" in more ways than you think.

Visit my thread Auction 73 below in my signature. Not just a plug, Important stuff. Please read.

Or visit by blog for condensed "short" version.

edit on 17-2-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by blair56
Although I don't agree with you recieving a free phone some ppl do need it. I'm a representative payee, which means I help people with mental disablities and mental illness pay there bills and handle there finances. Some of these people who recieve ssi/ss/ssdi only recieve about $674-$694. There are some who recieve more but think about it, after you pay rent, utilities, and then money for food and personal items there's almost never anything left. Some people do deserve to get this free phone but most do not.

$700 won't cover the basic necessities in most places. People who actually need assistance are being overun by lazy, selfish slobs who will one day get what they deserve. I am infuriated by the number of cars I see on my street during the day when I come home from work and school. I know that most sit watching tv their whole flipping life and sell drugs on the corner to young kids (or have tem sell them for them)! I volunteer with the disabled and I know for a FACT that most who have a good reason they can't work actually WANT TO WORK!

I think when people apply for welfare, ssi, medicare,wic etc they should have a CASE WORKER ASSIGNED TO THEM. Just like when you adopt a child. Those committing fraud should go to jail for the number of years they've been using the system... and repay back what they owe society by breaking rocks and cleaning parks. OHOHO! Maybe we should force them to work so that they can understand what the majority of us deal with every single day.

I love everyone, but people who are leeches deserve no reward for bad behavior and their inhumanity. And kids don't equal a paycheck.
edit on 17-2-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Wait... so we have large swaths of people in the USA who work their asses off to provide for their families and have been forced to make the difficult decision of canceling things like cell phone service to make sure they can cover necessities and yet the government is giving away phones & minutes to the poor?

Huge props to the member who asked why he was even working. I'm wondering the same right about now. The government wants to give the impoverished free phones, free health care, free foodstamps (I've seen you stampers in front of me in line at the grocery store... I see you buying the $3 a can Chunky Soup & $4.99 a bag Doritos while my kids eat "Shur-Fine" & "Great Value" products.) free housing, heating assistance, vehicles, free continuing education, free freaking everything. Why in the hell are the rest of us working? I'd like to sit on the dole, tying flies, watching TV, and fishing all day instead of supporting these insulting programs by busting my can at work 5 days a week, too.

The worst thing is people are supportive of this crap. I remember when we supposedly eliminated the welfare state in the late 80s. I remember the unmitigated joy of the working man who was sick and tired of supporting everyone who didn't want to work. There was great anger at the welfare state and back then it was pretty much food stamps and HUD... where's the anger at the current repackaged welfare state which includes ammenities being subsidized by the workers' tax dollars? Where's the outrage?

I totelly agree with you. This is why I chose to go to college at 30 years old. I do not want to spend the rest of my days in the poor house. My children deserve more than that from me. The profession I have chosen pays good money. Once I finish this spring it is off to better days(I hope).

It is not fun when you have to look for something to pawn until next payday just to put some expensive petroleum in the gas hog of a car. Or buy some bandaids because one of the kids fell down outside and scratched themselves pretty bad.

I plan on not being in the gutter in the next few years. That is if the economy can hold on long enough for me to establish myself.

My teacher helped me out one time and he told me not to worry about it. He just wants me to return the favor one day to another less fortunate individual that was in a position like me.

I plan on honoring that proposal.

I do try to live by honor. I told my girlfriend not to sign up for the adopt a family program for Christmas because I got my federal money for attending school. I spent some of that money so some other family that needs a Christmas for their kids can be helped by this program.

I do have honor my friend.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I am off to work everybody.
I will be back on later tonight.
Thank you

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Just had to post this because the irony was so great I couldn't bear it.

Link to the Story

U.S. Charges 111 in largest Medicare fraud crackdown

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. government on Thursday charged 111 doctors, nurses and other defendants with Medicare crime schemes that exceeded $225 million in false billings, the largest health care fraud crackdown so far.

Attorney General Eric Holder and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced the charges in the latest of a series of cases brought by the Obama administration as health care fraud has emerged as an important political issue.

About 45 million elderly and disabled Americans are enrolled in taxpayer-funded Medicare plans, which have come under fire from critics who say the government pays too much to the companies running them and that they are subject to fraud.

Medicare reform represented a key part of the sweeping year-old health care law championed by Democratic President Barack Obama, but opposed by many Republicans in Congress.

The latest charges covered defendants in nine cities. In addition to arrests, law enforcement agents also executed 16 search warrants.

The defendants were charged various crimes, including conspiracy to defraud the Medicare program, false claims, kickbacks and money laundering, administration officials said.

They said the alleged schemes involved various medical treatments, tests and services, such as home health care, physical and occupational therapy and medical equipment.

"Although today marks a critical step forward in combating and deterring illegal activity, our work is far from over," Holder said. Fraud has accounted for as much as an estimated $60 billion a year in the Medicare program.

A top FBI official, Shawn Henry, said 2,600 health care fraud cases were under investigation and that organized crime groups have been increasingly linked to the alleged schemes.

Sebelius said $4 billion was recovered last year, and the government's Medicare Fraud Strike Force was recently expanded to nine cities, with the addition of Dallas and Chicago.

(Reporting by James Vicini; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

edit on 17-2-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

As one who lost their job in 2006, has run out of money and family support, has applied to over 35,000 jobs, in person and on the web since, and is now on welfare (after being homeless), living on $543 a month TOTAL (including food stamps, rent and $38 to spend on TP, tissues, dish soap, laundry soap, laundry, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, dietary supplements, etc.), I have to say that I would be phoneless without this program. I get 68 minutes a month.

Employers could not call me, I could not call them, friends and family could not call in an emergency, and so on.

If you have issues, think about those of us who rely on that as a lifeline.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by pez1975
its a good program for sick and elderly people the may need a phone for 911 purposes but to an able body working age american is not cool imo but hey the government gave $2.11 trillion in welfare ie. tax cuts to the rich so now we know who needs the welfare the most the rich xD

Dude, come on, there is a complete difference in not taking earned money from people who have often times worked 80+ hour weeks to get where they are than to give it to people who don't work more than 15-20 if they work at all and dropped out of school etc. ad infinitum...

Don't call tax breaks welfare. We should all be getting tax breaks. Especially when we see what they do with our money....

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join