It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just recieved a free welfare phone!! I am not happy.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

If I had my way, I would give a laptop to every person in the free world.

Funny you should mention that.....:

one.laptop.org...

Sounds corny, but the children ARE our future.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not to sully this "Hallmark Moment" but....I hope someone doesn't claim that these donated laptops for the children have "GPS tracking" too!

Over-the-top fear mongering.........

edit on 17 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Naa dude, you don't get it...if he did the reasonable and logical thing, he wouldn't be able to take part in the right wing conspiracy to make the world a little more ignorant day by day.

I once ate at a soup kitchen when I didn't need to (had money for lunch)...therefore, all soup kitchens are frauds..see my reasoning? I did something that was unintended, therefore the whole organization is rubbish.

Next we will handle soup kitchens...feeding the starving, or a secret obama plot to fatten us up for the reptilian invasion -cue dramatic music-

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by SaturnFX

If I had my way, I would give a laptop to every person in the free world.

Funny you should mention that.....:

one.laptop.org...

Sounds corny, but the children ARE our future.......

I support it fully. tech savvy population = growth and future relevancy. We are still going to fall very far behind China in regards to our tech and this one potential movement won't get us competitive in the future all by itself, but its a good start.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
take it, or would you rather have your taxes go to haliburton, blackwater, foreign aid to prop dictators and military occupations, or cia black projects and the famous $45,000 toilets and $75 nails, or banks or g.m. and ford and every other program, person or organization that is raiding the government piggy bank.

don't feel guilty, a lousy 250 free min. is the minimum the government owes you for wasting and stealing your past tax dollars.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Edit to add: I guess what I am trying to say is community, and not government, should really be where charity begins.

This is actually what I DISAGREE with, why I'm more "liberal" in thinking, and why I think there *needs* to be 'government programs'.

Why? Oh I don't disagree with the sentiment, and I don't disagree that people SHOULD help others - what I disagree with is the potential for abuse.

Let "private" and "faith based" charity help the people? Picture a Christian snubbing a Muslim. Or even one they *perceive* to be Muslim. Imagine a pretty female and maybe even underaged children getting "extra" help - provided they 'do a few favors'.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Having public programs levels the playing field a bit. Or adds some neutrality to the applicants. Standardized administration without respect to the person, and without the influence of any private thought - which then may begin to gain clout, also.

What if we went to NO welfare - ALL private - and disreputable charities, or something not a charity at all but running a hidden agenda - came in - and thus "converted" a great segment of the population? We could all become Pastafarians or The Holy Kingdom of Justin Bieber in the blink of an eye.

I am also against taxing churches. They have enough power now, tax them - and they'll (rightly) demand even more. I do think some of their holdings such as real estate could be taxed, or the laws changed somewhat - but just in general - tax them and you give them more 'rights'.

I also think the US welfare system is a great mess and their is much fraud and waste - but those issues are separate from the "concept" of it. There needs to be an overhaul of it all and better administration.

Anyway, I'm just rambling here - just some food for thought. I do agree that private charity and just people in general SHOULD help if they are able and want to - but somehow making "welfare" their responsibility would open up many cans of worms.

As for the phone topic - I am not necessarily adverse to this. There are ALREADY programs that help with utility assistance. I look at the phone program (I've seen the TV ads) - as along those lines. Its just a cheap phone, and a phone is kind of necessary esp. for people with children and the disabled. I think that should maybe be their ONLY phone though. Don't think they need a cell phone if they have a land line and esp if they have land line "assistance". But, this would be a bureaucratic waste angle.

I don't think the phones are to track you either. If you're on some kind of welfare - they already know how to find you. And fraud already goes on and usually goes unchecked. They could be cutting the fraud as well as bureaucratic waste out *now* - but they really don't. And those who are uber sneaks and really gaming the system - drug dealers, like that - they already *know how to* "beat the system" and are usually too smart to get caught - and make enough $ so they can afford to buy their own top line cell phone, they wouldn't want the cheap gov one anyway. They are smart enough not to give out too much info on themselves, either. Otherwise, they'd not be too successful with their scams.

So, from those angles - I don't think the gov cell phones are to 'track' or 'catch' people. I saw the ads and I see it as help for those who do need a phone for emergencies and can't otherwise afford one.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I would like to clear up the fact that it is my girlfriends phone.

She makes me carry it

She signed up and got approved.

How is that defrauding

Do the terms of service allow for someone to get something only to give it to someone else for use?

I think not.

Why not call up the dept and tell them your story...give her name, how she isn't using it but you are using her account info.

This is similar to getting food stamps, then selling them off for favors to someone else whom doesn't need it. yep, its fraud.

So congrats on not only being "part of the system", but also contributing to criminal activities. Nice thread.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The Federal Reserve Bank that actually print and distribute the US Dollar [and the EU Euro Dollar] have freedom to print unlimited amounts of money where with which to do and fund anything they please to. To them it is just confetti. To them the only real currency is GOLD and they keep it securely locked away. So do not believe all the party political greed motivated propaganda about "recession" and "economy depression". In reality they can afford anything and everything. So do not feel guilty about taking the free handouts. Such free handouts are not funded by tax revenues. They could and should abolish all forms of taxation and still everything would run as normal because the Fedreral Reserve Bank would be happy to fund everything with their free handout confetti.

As regard to the free of charge mobile phone that "they" have planted on you. My opinion is that it is just a way by which your girlfriend is tracking your movements in case that you might be unfaithful. Anyone carrying a mobile phone can be exactly positioned to within a few meters. The government simply do not trust you. Your girlfriend also may not trust you either ? So if you want to throw them off of your tail the first thing to do is to put that mobile phone into the nearest waste bin. Also has it not yet crossed your mind that it is a bugging device where by with which "they" can hear every thing that you and others in your proximity are saying ?

Here in the British Isles we were informed on TV about the mobile phone services offering such a "bugging and tracking service" to parents who are worried about their childrens where abouts. Also the service was and still is being marketed to wifes and husbands who want to spy on the where abouts and conversations of their partner. Such "data" has already been used successfully in various divorce proceedings.

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 17/2/2011 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I got the tacfone too, it's alright. Right now my phone has been disabled because of no apparent reason, the texting has gone from .3 to . 1.0 min per text. The phone offers pins and codes for extra minutes. It's nothing more than an advertising gimmick you get 250 free minutes which aint crap when you got a girlfriend or friends that will waste all those minutes simply forwarding entertaining texts or picture texts, which the phone does not receive.
Tacfone's a company that wanted to beat cricket. Nothing more in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Whiffer Nippets

Yes....these are very cheap phones. The same ones you can buy at 7-11 or Rite-Aid or Walgreen's, etc, for $9.99.

Now.....if they retail for ten dollars....???? What is the actual cost (if any) to the government? I expect the phone companies involved donate some of it....AND, if you look at the program, they see it as potential profit (new/future customers)....and they offer plans above the "basic" 250 minutes. For additional charges, IF you can afford it, and deem it a necessity, to have more texts and call minutes available.

$5 to $20 extra per month, to upgrade from "basic" service offered. Voluntary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I keep seeing people talking about "GPS tracking", still. You can turn that feature OFF, if it is even on your phone. GO into "Tools", or "Set-Up" (GPS is there for emergency services.....or, for some features of your phone, if it has mapping tech and such. BTW....even w/o GPS, the phone will give away its approximate location, just by the cell towers it's logged onto at any moment...). Hardly very precise, though.

But, if you really want to get the conspiracy juices flowing....check into stories of "them" being able to listen (eavesdrop) on sounds that the phone is within range of picking up....even when it's turned off! (Have to remove the battery, according to these "stories"). Of course, wrapping it (and your head) in aluminum foil might do the trick too.....

edit on 17 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
take it, or would you rather have your taxes go to haliburton, blackwater, foreign aid to prop dictators and military occupations, or cia black projects and the famous $45,000 toilets and $75 nails, or banks or g.m. and ford and every other program, person or organization that is raiding the government piggy bank.

don't feel guilty, a lousy 250 free min. is the minimum the government owes you for wasting and stealing your past tax dollars.

Thank you for the kind words. I feel this thread is going down the negative toilet. I did not intend for it too. I was only trying to tell everyone one of my personal stories on how I personally cope with big brother controling our lives, wasting money along the way. But hey who cares right?

I will break out of this cycle of crap.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

Actually cell phones without service have been able to call emergency numbers for awhile. It was mandated by the FCC. This program is unrelated to the other.

Here is the tidbit from the FCC:

www.fcc.gov...

The FCC’s Wireless 911 Rules As part of its efforts to improve public safety, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted rules aimed at improving the reliability of wireless 911 services and the accuracy of the location information transmitted with a wireless 911 call. Such improvements enable emergency response personnel to provide assistance to 911 callers much more quickly. The FCC’s wireless 911 rules apply to all wireless licensees, broadband Personal Communications Service (PCS) licensees, and certain Specialized Mobile Radio (SMR) licensees. Here are the specific requirements. Basic 911 rules require wireless service providers to: transmit all 911 calls to a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP), regardless of whether the caller subscribes to the provider’s service or not.

I think strategically speaking if you want a person to never attempt to better themselves and grow beyond their confines you simple make them feel comfortable with their situation. It's easier to manage a nation of content followers than a nation of free thinking leaders. Is there some big conspiracy where was we find the smoking gun all will be revealed... I doubt it, but anythings possible. I just think it's just an issue of lofty individuals with thoughts of superiority attempting do what is right in their eyes. For centuries our race was ran by a select few as the ages passed the need for guidance and direction has diminished. I mean how many people could read and write just a hundred years ago. The leaps and bounds our species as a whole has made in such a short time is astounding. It will take time to separate old tendencies from the upper class whose perspective is askew.

Don't get me wrong I personally know what its like to have not. I am a single father with full custody of two children working off a fixed income. I have never been nor will I ever be subsidized, I refuse. I will not have any part of this hole the government is digging for our children's children.
Its a shame really.

I end this reply with quote:

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. – Rudyard Kipling

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimsie
reply to post by liejunkie01

nice granite counter tops you have there too.
you are making me realize i am going about this whole American Dream thing all wrong.

I noticed the same thing, but you beat me to it.

Anyway, as far as the phone service is concerned, you have to sign up for the service. The phones are not just sent to everyone on welfare. It sounds like you and your girlfriend of 10 years are milking the system just like you are accusing everyone else of doing.

If you are unmarried, you get more benefits and would therefore be eligible for the phone. If you reported both your incomes and circumstances honestly,Are you reporting your income, all sources of income, people who help you out? Or is your gf just claiming her income and you are living off her and your childs benefits? I don't see how you would quailify if everything was reported. Some people do need the extra help and because of people who milk the system ( like it seems you are doing) the one who need the help don't always get it.

Sir, you are a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

Please don't use this site to whine when you are doing the very thing you are whining about. You didn't have to sign up for the phone, or activate the service.

Sorry for my rant. Oh, and fyi... if you are struggling to make your wifi bill, why not move to a home that doesn't have all the bells and whistles (i.e. granite counter tops) or simply do with out. Having less always worked for my family growing up and we are better for it.
edit on 17-2-2011 by iamlizzyb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamlizzyb

you are making me realize i am going about this whole American Dream thing all wrong.

Anyway, as far as the phone service is concerned, you have to sign up for the service. The phones are not just sent to everyone on welfare. It sounds like you and your girlfriend of 10 years are milking the system just like you are accusing everyone else of doing.

If you are unmarried, you get more benefits and would therefore be eligible for the phone. If you reported both your incomes and circumstances honestly, I don't see how you would quailify.

Are you reporting your income, all sources of income, people who help you out? Or is your gf just claiming her income and you are living off her and your childs benefits? Sir, you are a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

Please don't use this site to whine when you are doing the very thing you are whining about. You didn't have to sign up for the phone, or activate the service.

If you took the time to read my replies, I already took the time to address my $40.00 computer desk that is falling apart.

I am graduating a two year undergraduate program. We will not be on the system's bill for long my negative friend.

Oh,,wise one of the system.

EDIT because I didn't want to make another post:

You want to sound like you have it all figured out. We pay 350 dollars a month rent. Not the government. I have never owned granite anything. Read the other posts on threads before you make yourself look silly.

You need to quit assuming things. That is if you really want to sound like you know what you are taliking about.

edit on 17-2-2011 by liejunkie01 because: desk, spelling

edit on 17-2-2011 by liejunkie01 because: EDIT

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamlizzyb

If you are unmarried, you get more benefits and would therefore be eligible for the phone. If you reported both your incomes and circumstances honestly,Are you reporting your income, all sources of income, people who help you out? Or is your gf just claiming her income and you are living off her and your childs benefits? I don't see how you would quailify if everything was reported. Some people do need the extra help and because of people who milk the system ( like it seems you are doing) the one who need the help don't always get it.

Sir, you are a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

Sorry for my rant. Oh, and fyi... if you are struggling to make your wifi bill, why not move to a home that doesn't have all the bells and whistles (i.e. granite counter tops) or simply do with out. Having less always worked for my family growing up and we are better for it.
edit on 17-2-2011 by iamlizzyb because: (no reason given)

You took the time to reply to my post. You have been a member since 3-30-10 and have 16 posts and I am one of them. I am flattered.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
4 years ago I had two cellphones and I would receive calls at all hours of the day and night due to work. Friends and family and workmates and customers who always seemed to "need" something. And monthly phone bill of over $250 per month and more on some months. It was a nightmare. When my job changed, I ditched the phones. It was the best thing that I ever did. No more bill and much needed freedom and quiet. Now I get to choose who I have contact with and when and what my availability is.

I feel that this government money could be much better used. I can understand people needing to have phone services and some people needing financial help with them. When I ditched my phones, we streamlined a lot of our other expenses and services. Phone was one of them. My husband hooked up something called Ooma. It hooks right into your internet. You pay for it once and then you get free phone and long distance forever. Yes it is a landline, but honestly...why does everyone and their dog need to get a hold of me every second of the day everywhere that I go? It cost us about $250 and an hour of our time.

So why don't they just subsidize internet (about $20 per month) and this ooma thing and be done with it. Why spend money every single month on cell phone minutes which may or may not be enough. I mean...250 minutes is only 4 hours and I am sure people are paying for land lines on top of that.

I am sure that there is more that we don't see, and reasons behind their decisions. So, who am I to judge really, without all of the information. But really, sometimes it just seems like things could be thought through a little more completely.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I guess what gets me is that America spend TRILLIONS of dollars overseas trying to fuel the Capitalist Agenda by destroying other countries' infrastructures, rebuilding them, setting up puppet regimes and economies that are just as corrupt as the one here at home ... and yet people are still peeved about handing out several million dollars (meager in terms of dollars spent compared to the defense budget) here at home to those families that are less entitled.

If you want to complain about where tax-payer money is spent, start with foreign policy.

Sure, there are a lot of people who abuse the welfare system ... but if you're concerned about that, surely it has to bother you that hundreds of billions of dollars of debt just got handed down to generations of tax-payers with the Mortgage Collapse Scam that Wall Street orchestrated?

I just think we get cattle prodding into "caring" about the wrong issues when it comes to trying to change the way things are.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Because we need cell phones to live.
2nd

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
I guess what gets me is that America spend TRILLIONS of dollars overseas trying to fuel the Capitalist Agenda by destroying other countries' infrastructures, rebuilding them, setting up puppet regimes and economies that are just as corrupt as the one here at home ... and yet people are still peeved about handing out several million dollars (meager in terms of dollars spent compared to the defense budget) here at home to those families that are less entitled.

If you want to complain about where tax-payer money is spent, start with foreign policy.

Sure, there are a lot of people who abuse the welfare system ... but if you're concerned about that, surely it has to bother you that hundreds of billions of dollars of debt just got handed down to generations of tax-payers with the Mortgage Collapse Scam that Wall Street orchestrated?

I just think we get cattle prodding into "caring" about the wrong issues when it comes to trying to change the way things are.

Thank you for that reply. I agree totally.
I am being accused of being a hypocrite. I am currently doing something about my situation. Way more than alot of people are doing. The two faced anger/friendly american sentiment is bringing this country down.
edit on 17-2-2011 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Over there too huh?

It's happening over here in Northern Ireland... Well the UK as a whole. And on top of that they have advertisements looking to BUY peoples phones from them.

Thought it was a bit odd... But now I see the BIGGER picture. Seem's Obama and Cameron are branching out!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I am also eligible to receive a free phone but i don't do it on principle. Also the feds are now providing car insurance. It's a way for the government to put businesses out of business and make us dependent. It's total crap!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join