It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just recieved a free welfare phone!! I am not happy.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

Yeah... i used to have Verizon.

I was charged $1 only every day I used the phone.

... but I never had any problems with spammers, .... never use your number when filling out stuff online, ... NEVER. and if it gets too bad just change your number. or put yourself on a no call list. If they continue to call you after that you can sue them.

So if you dont use it.... the money you put on should last awhile,... depending on carrier.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I get paid on the 28th. I have one dollar right now and am running out of food. I spent a little money to make living here more acceptable but it wasn't what most people blow on cable and daily soft drinks over a month, which I don't buy. I am trying to make the place livable and do some things for myself and i have no spare money for this MOST of the time.

The government has done both good and screwed up # by me.... I would certainly take a free phone without it burdening my conscious. I don't even have a car.
... and i am CERTAINLY not going to put myself beneath the holders of one of this worlds "created" jobs for thinking free phones are probably ok... like pushing meaningless paperwork.... and a lot of it is ENTIRELY meaningless and wasteful.
edit on 17-2-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I searched for a forum for ten minutes and I chose this one, being that it is a social issue. This is not a rant. I would like to inform the ATS community on a terrible waste of the tax payer’s money. I did not do a search because this is my own personal experience with this program.

It would've been better had you researched it yourself because

SafeLink phones are not paid for by taxpayers or the federal government. TracFone Wireless pays for the phones and also the cost of promoting its SafeLink program to make sure that eligible consumers know about the program.

Src: www.safelinkwireless.com...

It's not only SafeLinkWireless but other companies also such as Assurance Wireless etc. that provides these services.

Originally posted by Libertygal
Bingo! And the more people that get that attitude and stop working, the happier Obama will be, because it is buying him votes for the next election.

The entitlement generation that not only wants, but DEMANDS hand outs like this, was a large portion of how he got elected to begin with.

You are funny and it makes it funnier as you are blaming this entirely on Obama. This was not started by Obama but instead this "Lifeline" program was created during the Reagan Administration and has been continued since then through various administrations Src.

Also, I used to work for the Call Center where enrollment process is done for new safelinkwireless customers and my job included providing service information to the customers.

I can tell you about this program in brief. This program is mostly aimed at old and disable people.

Requirement:
You need to be the head of the household or above 18 yrs old and have a proper residential address registered with United States Postal Service (PO Box address are not valid address) and all you're details updated with Social Security Office or Public Records like you're Date Of Birth, Social Security Number, Address and you're proper First and Last Name (for females check you're maiden names with public records). Our database is connected to Public Records/ Social Security Office so any info. you will provide us will be checked real time.

You need to be participant in government progs. such as Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplementary Security Income, Section 8/ Federal Public Housing etc depending upon the programs you're state offers. If you don't participate in any government progs. many states also have option to apply on Income basis. In some states you will also be required to submit proofs if you are applying on basis of programs and if you apply on basis of income you will need to submit proofs of that in every state it is available.

Last but not least important information:
1. If you apply through the internet using the website it only take 7-10 business days for you to receive the phone and if you apply over the phone with Customer service it would take 30 days/ 1 month for you to receive the phone as there is paper work involved.

2. You should not be getting any discounts from govt. on you're home (land line) or cell phone and you should not have any other lifeline phone (such as Assurance lifeline) to apply for SafeLinkWireless.

3. Only one person can apply for one phone at one address - that is known as One Per Household Rule or OPHR

If you have any questions regarding this ask me now till I'm available.
edit on 17-2-2011 by name pending because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
I don't know how anyone can actually pay their taxes when they see where it goes.

It's funny because if you read anything about the phone it clearly says it is not deducted from tax payers or federal money.

Originally posted by Wolf321
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Your right. I guess these must be smart phones, Iphones even, because dumb phones don't cut it anymore. I hope they got their government subsidized computers to sync them with, that way they don't miss out on the latest mp3s.

Wrong, under this program only a basic model of phone is provided where you can only phone or text. Model is Motorola W175G. Free phones do not include camera or flip phones either because it is a lifeline program.

Originally posted by kimsie
reply to post by Wolf321

wow free food shelter and now cell phones too?
why am I busting my ass working 40 hours a week?

You dont understand, this is a lifeline program for the needy like disabled or old people who need to make emergency calls. I have talked to numerous people (including cancer patients and other old people with various medical conditions) who have thanked immensely for this phone. Most of these people live alone and at times need to contact their doctors urgently if any complication arises. Also old folks who live alone and cannot afford phones to keep in touch with their families...this is great for them. I came across many young people too and they mentioned they find it easy to contact their interviewers while finding a job.

Originally posted by boondock-saint
am I the only one who sees the tracking device
given to a segment of the population?

As far as I know there are no tracking devices on these phones but you can always contact the technical support department and get you're doubts cleared.
The number is 1800-378-1684
When you dial this number you get an IVR option so dial
# 1 for english
# 4 for tech supp
# 2 to speak to live representative

Originally posted by boondock-saint
another angle not considered yet.
The Gov accepting third party vendors
to spam your phone with text advertisements.
Now, instead of that spam fax machine running
out of paper, they go directly to ALL free phones.
They could make a killing on advertising products
and services. Mass spam delivered right to your
phone. What company would pass up an opportunity
to send out it's ad to Millions of potential customers
in one fell swoop ??? And you couldn't complain,
the phone is owned by them

No you do not get any kind of telemarketing messages on the free cell phones except service updates such as when you need to Re=Certify you're account every 10 months. They will send you a reminder either through mail or message.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosMagician
my ex had one and he left it here. I have to give it back to him even though he doesn't use and doesn't care about it but i love that phone. It's a little cheap phone but stays charged a good while. I never talk about too much dicey # over the phone anyway... mostly gabbing with my mother. hell, it's free minute although he only gets 125.

You can always change you're plans to 250 mins. plans. The only difference is 125 mins. plan rolls over and 250 mins. does not roll over. So if you don't make huge amount of calls then 125 plan is for you coz you can accumulate large number of mins. from you're saved mins. If you use 250 mins plan they will get expired every months and you will receive fresh 250 mins.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by name pending

Originally posted by ChaosMagician
my ex had one and he left it here. I have to give it back to him even though he doesn't use and doesn't care about it but i love that phone. It's a little cheap phone but stays charged a good while. I never talk about too much dicey # over the phone anyway... mostly gabbing with my mother. hell, it's free minute although he only gets 125.

You can always change you're plans to 250 mins. plans. The only difference is 125 mins. plan rolls over and 250 mins. does not roll over. So if you don't make huge amount of calls then 125 plan is for you coz you can accumulate large number of mins. from you're saved mins. If you use 250 mins plan they will get expired every months and you will receive fresh 250 mins.

hmm. I did not know that. Thank you for telling me.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

You are welcome. If you have anymore queries please feel free to ask me.

I also read that you're ex applied for this phone, I wanted to tell you that you're ex will have to re-certify this phone every 10 months either from the website I mentioned above or by calling Customer Service. Website is the most fast option to complete you're re-certification. If you complete you're certification through web you can get instant verified but over the phone it will take 3 weeks approx.

If you're ex does not re-certify the phone in 10 months you will stop receiving free minutes and that phone can only be used as a pre-paid phone. You can buy paid calling cards such as Tracfone or SafeLinkWireless cards from any of you're nearest shops like Walmart, K-Mart or JC Penny etc. The cost of the card is
$ 19.99 - 100 mins
$ 29.99 - 150 mins
edit on 17-2-2011 by name pending because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
So if we are to believe your OP your girlfriend applied for a telephone that is meant to be given to people that truly need it when she didn't need it and then gave the phone to you so you could complain about the fact that you are ripping off someone else by taking something from someone else that you dont even need.

Nice!

So is your girlfriend on state benefits or below the poverty line? because these are the only ways you are supposed to be able to get the phone.

I personally dont believe a word of the OP. hoax
edit on 17-2-2011 by davespanners because: i cant spell

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

... yeah i dont get it.

First he sayd ..... " I dont even want to carry this phone, my gf makes me do it "

Then when i imply they might be abusing the system..... he suddenly respond with .

" Oh i need it for emergencies, ... in case my kids got hurt..... I would do anything for my kids "

Wutchu really talking about Willis ?????

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I'm logging out for now..if anyone has more questions leave them on this thread, I'll reply them when I log in later.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I don't think this is a new program, but rather, maybe it's an evoulution of an old program?
they had a program going for years that would provide emergency phone service (there was restrictions on it's use) for years.
hey, at least this one helps the poor get and keep their jobs. ever try to find a job with no phone number to list on the application? I have.....
and well, I think my boss might be a little happier since his employees found out they could get a free cellphone if they met the income requirements...he's getting more call ins when his employees are sick, which well...before it was more like they might call in, they might not...depended on weather they were too sick to walk to the nearest phone booth.
but, really, the phone was for her use, why did she give it to you??? does she plan on having you call in sick if she can't make it to work, take her calls for her, or does she already have a phone, and really didn't need one...in which case she is abusing the program...
or, do they provide two phones, one for the recipient, one for their boyfriends, since they know just as well as many of us, that many of these boyfriends are unofficial residents to the households. they are just overlooking that small fact...
the welfare system doesn't work the way it is now, so, well, the rules of the game are overlooked so it will at least give it the impression of working. but that reallly doesn't solve anything, does it....since it is still a broken system with unenforced rules.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
you have to have a phone.
they need to keep trak of you.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

I won't have a cellphone, I think the next step in this progression is that employers think we should all have cellphones and be at their beck and call day and night. my sons have had a few employers like that.....they thought that they could just call them when ever they had someone call in sick, and they should answer their cells and be right in!!!
no thanks...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. D

Either you don't understand how mind control works, are already being
controlled or you just might be a shill.

Me a Shill? Hmmm... Keep taking those paranoid pills!

IRM :shk:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

you have nothing to be ashamed of a lot of hard working people have found themselves in your situation,but the cell phone?I like you do not like cell phones but in our family we dropped the land line for cell phones,my kids are older and it's a good way to stay in touch with them.I can't help but feel there is an ulterior motive behind giving them out though.Why don't they just help out with payments on the land line?It would be cheaper.Seems like they want to keep track of everyone,that's what I heard was behind the cash for clunkers program,because the older cars did not have a computer in them,who knows why,but I can't help but be suspicious when it comes to government programs.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Toos it, mobile phones destroyes your brain.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I am with Dave here. This is welfare fraud. The phone is not meant to be used by you it was given to your girlfriend.

What I think this post is trying to do is generate some heat against welfare "mooches" and possibly Obama, with the OP stating he is in Illinois.

I am rather disgusted someone is using the forums as a venue to brag about welfare fraud, not only brag but complain about it to boot!

This is a true hoax, the girlfriend is hoaxing welfare and this thread is discussing that hoax.

edit on Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:52:39 -0600 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

I guess that's why some parts of the USA resemble the third world! It's simply not possible for some people (for whatever reason) to pursue the things they desire. Perhaps one day if you find yourself in a gutter, your position may change. Until then, consider yourself lucky!

IRM :shk:

Its funny that you mentioned that. You see big government has been holding the reins for a long while now. You see the places that resemble a third world country? I do too. I also see a government that has basicaly done nothing about it. They TRY to help. I believe some government officials actually want to help, but this government that we see today is doing a terrible job. They have prooved themselves more than inefficent. Its time to clean house.

MOTF!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I can relate to the OP. I have never owned a cell phone and never will. Even if they try to dish it out to me for free I will say no as I don't want them tracking my every move through GPS. I already get free calling as a beta tester for magic talk beta software which allows me to call anywhere in the North America for free.

Cell phones turn people into the walking dead.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I have read through all of this, and just do NOT see a problem....I was especially amused by boondocksaint, and the "GPS" angle!! LOL!!! What abject paranoia!! (BTW...you can turn that feature, if it's even installed, OFF!!).

I am familiar with this program, having looked into it. It is a cooperative venture with a company called "Virgin Mobile"....yes, THAT Virgin, of billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson fame. Airlines, aerospace, music industry, and now mobile phones. They operate a full line of pre-paid phones of all sorts....and I expect they're involved in this program as a sort of pro bono Good Samaritan thing.

(Turns out that THEY aren't the only ones....)

The phone is only "good" for one year....after the end of twelve months, you must re-register (and prove that you are still eligible, per the guidelines). Also, the program works on the "honor system", asking the participants to relinquish the benefit, should their situation change during those twelve months.

Check out the websites:

www.assurancewireless.com...

www.safelinkwireless.com...

....GPS tracking of individuals!! LOL! Sorry, made me chuckle. I can just imagine hordes of "government agents" in dark rooms, pasty-looking from lack of sunlight, hunched over computer monitors to track those ordinary citizens, just average Joes......for, what possible reason, again???

LOL! Where, oh where is the logic and reason in that?

edit on 17 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join