It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just recieved a free welfare phone!! I am not happy.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC
reply to post by liejunkie01

They are a waste of government money, although I can see a need for them in SOME instances. It was mentioned earlier that they could be used to track your movements (TracFone?) as the GPS cannot be turned off as far as I can tell; but you should also remember that the Government doesn't need a warrent to tap their phones, watch what you say you may have a listener on your line.

Thank you for the advice and I believe that you need to watch what you say on your phone also.. It is not just these phones. It is everybody's phone that can be listened in on. See the video above for more info.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
This is nothing more than another step in the plan by the government to get everyone totally dependent on them. Welcome to the new slavery. Think about it - when there are so few jobs left that people will accept poverty-level wages, work 60-80 hours a week just to survive, and fight for the job on top of that, then the government steps in and offers government subsidized food, housing, transportation, clothing, etc., you are literally owned by them. It's going to happen, and every one of these outrageous "social programs" is yet another step in that direction, as is the intentional destruction of the economy.

Also, as someone already mentioned, if everyone has a cell phone, then you can be tracked in real time as well as through phone company files. "Free" wi-fi is for the same purpose. Some day you'll be given a free internet device by the government and God knows what kind of cool spy apps will be installed on those.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Bread and Circuses.

In Ancient Rome it was called panem et circenses.

It was basically said "show me what my taxes pay for" through the then similarity to modern Welfare.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Bread and Circuses

"Bread and Circuses" (or bread and games) (from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement.

In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace.

The phrase also implies the erosion or ignorance of civic duty amongst the concerns of the common man (l'homme moyen sensuel).

In modern usage, the phrase has become an adjective to deride a populace that no longer values civic virtues and the public life.

To many across the political spectrum, left and right, it connotes the triviality and frivolity that in popular culture is supposed to have characterized the Roman Empire prior to its decline.

I've been free of the digital slave collar that is the GPS tracked cell phone for more than a year now.

Saving $100 a month not only because I have to but because I chose to do so was one of the greatest choices I made, people keep directing me to go get one of those "Government paid for cell phones", and I just see no reason to do so.

The one thing everyone seems to forget is if you go off the grid it is only inconvenient to those trapped within it, not to those people who see the needlessness of spending upwards of $100 a month for premium cell phone service, with text messaging, pictures, Internet, all of the trappings of society, where you're digitally plugged into Facebook, Twitter, and other needless crap that assists you in "reaching out to touch someone", where the dauntless idiocy of a techno-fascist society can beat you into submission of snitching out everyone else for something stupid they did by uploading video to YouTube via your cell phone.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Relax man.. Accept the phone... Use it and ditch it once it's used up it's free time. Stop sweating the small things in life! No biggie! Just remember, that although you may not feel you need it, there are many people out there who benefit from such a service. I'm sure the government wastes money on much worse things.

IRM

I agree, it's no big deal to accept the phone. There are lots of folks that really need this service. What really gets me is the assumption that everyone has a cell already. I tried to set up a Gmail account today and guess what...you can't unless you give them a mobile number. I guess you could contact them and get a workaround...but for me it's not worth it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC

They are a waste of government money, although I can see a need for them in SOME instances. It was mentioned earlier that they could be used to track your movements (TracFone?) as the GPS cannot be turned off as far as I can tell; but you should also remember that the Government doesn't need a warrent to tap their phones, watch what you say you may have a listener on your line.

Thank you for the advice and I believe that you need to watch what you say on your phone also.. It is not just these phones. It is everybody's phone that can be listened in on. See the video above for more info.

I was fixing to say... look into legal AND illegal wiretapping and how easy it is to do and it's undetectable according to some reports on it.... despite other reports touting more security than there had been which doesn't sound like much for digital signals.

I'd rather watch what i say then pay for a phone i can't afford that could be tapped anyway. Nobody has the time to tap every phone they send out and they've already got your address... and phone company would have that. Why would they care what you say on a crappy government phone unless you were being watched or something. If you're being watched it's not going to freaking matter where you got the phone.
edit on 17-2-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I found it interesting that the OP wrote they always considered themselves poor. The poster shared with us about having had a cell phone in the past and they were unhappy with the plan.

I'm thinking if you had a cell phone, and here you are on the innernets so you have a PC & ISP. I doubt you skipped over having a color TV and cable.

Most people keep all that stuff indoors. Roof over the head, food on the plate.

keep considering yourself poor if you want, but sounds like you're doing pretty good to me.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANDOMguess

HAHA she will find the thread...they always do. Mine thought I was cheating then she found out I was just on ATS and she was like "oh your just weird". she almost looked more disappointed than if I had cheated on her

edit on 17-2-2011 by RANDOMguess because: (no reason given)
Dude...that short story just made my day...no need to be puzzled, it's obvious why such a thing may disappoint a women...a silly closed minded women with no spirit and a non-questioning attitude. You need to be a manly man who drinks beer and talks all manly like.
I wouldn't even bother with such a women.

edit on 17-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

Bread and Circuses.

In Ancient Rome it was called panem et circenses.

It was basically said "show me what my taxes pay for" through the then similarity to modern Welfare.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Bread and Circuses

"Bread and Circuses" (or bread and games) (from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement.

In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace.

The phrase also implies the erosion or ignorance of civic duty amongst the concerns of the common man (l'homme moyen sensuel).

In modern usage, the phrase has become an adjective to deride a populace that no longer values civic virtues and the public life.

To many across the political spectrum, left and right, it connotes the triviality and frivolity that in popular culture is supposed to have characterized the Roman Empire prior to its decline.

I've been free of the digital slave collar that is the GPS tracked cell phone for more than a year now.

Saving $100 a month not only because I have to but because I chose to do so was one of the greatest choices I made, people keep directing me to go get one of those "Government paid for cell phones", and I just see no reason to do so.

The one thing everyone seems to forget is if you go off the grid it is only inconvenient to those trapped within it, not to those people who see the needlessness of spending upwards of $100 a month for premium cell phone service, with text messaging, pictures, Internet, all of the trappings of society, where you're digitally plugged into Facebook, Twitter, and other needless crap that assists you in "reaching out to touch someone", where the dauntless idiocy of a techno-fascist society can beat you into submission of snitching out everyone else for something stupid they did by uploading video to YouTube via your cell phone.

My family plan that I had disconnected was outragous. The bill was never lower that 40 dollars and that was if I did not use it at all. It was more like 50-70 dollars. I couldn't afford it anyways.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I apologize, I was wrong. It was LibertyGirl that made the comment about Obama.

I still do not understand why complain about the program, while you are reaping the benefits.
edit on 17-2-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
I found it interesting that the OP wrote they always considered themselves poor. The poster shared with us about having had a cell phone in the past and they were unhappy with the plan.

I'm thinking if you had a cell phone, and here you are on the innernets so you have a PC & ISP. I doubt you skipped over having a color TV and cable.

Most people keep all that stuff indoors. Roof over the head, food on the plate.

keep considering yourself poor if you want, but sounds like you're doing pretty good to me.

I do not know what you consider poor. But believe me I am at the poverty level at todays standards.

I have to constantly rob Peter to pay Paul every month. My internet gets shut off every other month briefly until I come up with the money. I do have basic cable with 27 channels, most are crap. It is overpriced and it gets shut off all the time also.

If that is not considered poor then what is. I have two children so I choose to save my aluminum cans to help pay the cable and internet.

I know that I am better off than some but the money is not here my friend. I am working towards the solution.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I think it's ironic and sort of sadly funny how people complain endlessly that money is spent everywhere BUT in the U.S. for our own issues... but when they do, we still complain. There are a lot of humanitarian projects out there. For YOU perhaps it's a waste. I'm sure there are many who are very grateful for this project.

The world doesn't revolve around you and your needs for a phone. Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth. The money on this project is a minuscule drop in the bucket when pondering all the actually wasted money on projects that largely benefit no one.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

I apologize, I was wrong. It was LibertyGirl that made the comment about Obama.

I still do not understand why complain about the program, while you are reaping the benefits.
edit on 17-2-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

Thank you for appologizing. I did not intend to make this a political party discussion.

What would the benefits be exactly? I would not consider me reaping the benefits. I am not going to give the number to any of my friends. I have used seven minutes of air time since I got it.

I brought my story to ATS to inform everyone what is happening to our system, if this is considered complaining then I am guilty.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Relax man.. Accept the phone... Use it and ditch it once it's used up it's free time. Stop sweating the small things in life! No biggie! Just remember, that although you may not feel you need it, there are many people out there who benefit from such a service. I'm sure the government wastes money on much worse things.

IRM

I cannot use up the minutes.

It gets reloaded with 250 minutes every month.

Try some "900"numbers.
Maybe you can use it up that way.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Quick reply here even though its late in the post and will get missed... First thing here in MA they give cars away too.. Also a quick lil tidbit. My Ol'Lady works as an advisor for this one client she has. This person is a direct representation of the social and economic issues we face in the US today.... This person receives a monthly welfare check of x amount of dollars. The govt shorted her monthly stipend unknowingly to the recipient or to the ppl who wrote her check. They caught up to their mistake to the tune of 12k dollars. They then wrote her a check for that amount. This was a year where she was shorted roughly 1k a month, Some ppl work hard for tht much money a month. I have never asked for a handout but i sure could use one but I am sure I make to much money. How can I make to much money if I cant afford my mortgage my bills and my groceries. FUCT I tell ya!!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy
Quick reply here even though its late in the post and will get missed... First thing here in MA they give cars away too.. Also a quick lil tidbit. My Ol'Lady works as an advisor for this one client she has. This person is a direct representation of the social and economic issues we face in the US today.... This person receives a monthly welfare check of x amount of dollars. The govt shorted her monthly stipend unknowingly to the recipient or to the ppl who wrote her check. They caught up to their mistake to the tune of 12k dollars. They then wrote her a check for that amount. This was a year where she was shorted roughly 1k a month, Some ppl work hard for tht much money a month. I have never asked for a handout but i sure could use one but I am sure I make to much money. How can I make to much money if I cant afford my mortgage my bills and my groceries. FUCT I tell ya!!!!

It is late and I need to get to bed. I understand your situation. This is why I do not want a mortgage. I do not want to feel more trapt than I already am. I plan on buying a few acres on contract for deed with a large down payment in the future when I am able to.

I do not want to be owned by debt. Debt that I believe is brought on by the powers that be in the form of the main stream media. Brainwashing you to think that you have to have more than you need. Everything in the United Staes is based on social status.You know that you need that new Escalade. What about the expensive clothing?(this is just an example, not directed at you) I do without new clothes and I drive a 1982 chevy camaro that is worth about 1,800 dollars.

Like I said this is not directly pointing to you, I do not know what your situation is. This is what I am seeing when I go to the store or out in public.

As a fellow american all I can say is keep trying brother/sister.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
You folks are pure evil around these parts. I sure hope you are mostly paid posters. If not, then I would have to say that things are just going to get worse and worse for America. If you all really hate helping your fellow man so much, why don't you just get the hell off this earth. We will progress without you and be better for it.

If people don't have a job you will jump all over them to get off their lazy butts. With a few exceptions you cannot get a job without having a phone. landline or mobile, who cares. Or without a permanent address. And for many, you need to have internet access as well. These subsidies are not just for people to get their jollies, it is to give them the tools they need to be a participating member of modern society. Just as you and your wife are attemping to do. And if you will be looking for a welding job once your finished training, don't you think it would be a good idea to have missed calls forwarded to your cell phone, so the next guy on the list doesn't get to come into work the next day instead because you are at the grocery and couldn't get the call? It may just come down to that.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz

Originally posted by RANDOMguess

HAHA she will find the thread...they always do. Mine thought I was cheating then she found out I was just on ATS and she was like "oh your just weird". she almost looked more disappointed than if I had cheated on her

edit on 17-2-2011 by RANDOMguess because: (no reason given)
Dude...that short story just made my day...no need to be puzzled, it's obvious why such a thing may disappoint a women...a silly closed minded women with no spirit and a non-questioning attitude. You need to be a manly man who drinks beer and talks all manly like.
I wouldn't even bother with such a women.

edit on 17-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

That's funny I have just been arguing with a woman on another thread because she doesn't believe in the soul an acts like a robot. And you just made me realise MY GIRLFRIENDS IS JUST LIKE HER. She is standing behind me as I'm typing this and does not lokkfjdklsajdklsafhsa does not looK happy she started hitting the keyboard iv left that in to piss her off

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I think its a great idea they need something like it in australia for struggling families. Although i dont own a phone and am over all the bells and whistles and general ego tripping of owning a "flashy" mobile phone, I manage to still work a white collar job contactable by only email and work phones during work hours 9-5. AHhh the serenity of my personal life.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

How greedy of a person would you have to be,to say anything about taking money from people that are working 80 hour weeks. I at one time lived this lifestyle and had no problem with my paychecks after taxes. You would have never heard me say " im only poor because of all these taxes." If you didnt think you were making more than these welfare recipients and living a better lifestyle you would be the first to join the crowd,believe me.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
You folks are pure evil around these parts. I sure hope you are mostly paid posters. If not, then I would have to say that things are just going to get worse and worse for America. If you all really hate helping your fellow man so much, why don't you just get the hell off this earth. We will progress without you and be better for it.

If people don't have a job you will jump all over them to get off their lazy butts. With a few exceptions you cannot get a job without having a phone. landline or mobile, who cares. Or without a permanent address. And for many, you need to have internet access as well. These subsidies are not just for people to get their jollies, it is to give them the tools they need to be a participating member of modern society. Just as you and your wife are attemping to do. And if you will be looking for a welding job once your finished training, don't you think it would be a good idea to have missed calls forwarded to your cell phone, so the next guy on the list doesn't get to come into work the next day instead because you are at the grocery and couldn't get the call? It may just come down to that.

I certainly wasn't directing my comments towards the OP, and I don't think most in this thread were. The OP even made this thread, it seems, to point out that he didn't NEED the phone, but got it anyway. There is nothing wrong with helping those in NEED, and that is the key word. I think most in this thread are just angry about the abuse of the charity system in this country. I am, more because it deprives some people of help they really need, as opposed to just using up the public's money.

It's great to help people out, but helping someone out that doesn't need it is a waste and a shame. I keep in contact with a few people from my old job, one of which got laid off at the same time as me. He said he has had 2 job offers, but he is making more on unemployment than the jobs would pay, so he turned them down. THAT is the type of nonsense that I think everyone in this thread is mad about. As long as you have a roof over your head, and food in your belly, you shouldn't be taking anything from people who are actually working to support themselves. That's where the line gets drawn, in my opinion.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join