It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just recieved a free welfare phone!! I am not happy.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I just got home from work. I can see that this thread is doing exactly like I said it would. The ships going down captain. Thank you all for all of the negative replies. I try to give everyone a glimpse of how messed up the system is and I get hammered for it.

I am doing my best. I have a good GPA. My trig is a little choppy though. I will be welding some of the equipment, machinery, bridges, well about anything that you use that is constructed of steel. This is what I can do and this is what I will do.

Remember that in about five years when you are using something that I constructed.

Ten years ago I was asleep at the wheel. The wheel of life...I have since woken up to the reality of what I want my life to be and consist of. I am currently devoting every ounce of effort that I have into achieving my goals. If that is not enough then I am sorry. What does one need to do to better themselves?

I do not agree with what some of you are saying. I just wish that before bashing or replying out of anger that you would sit back and think a little about the other person.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Hey please don't let the rude people get to you, you gotta remember some of these people never knew what it was like to struggle, I too know what you are going thru, its hard for us to pay our bills, my husband works and I was laid off, I admire your determination and please don't give up, you sound like you are getting there and remember you will!!, take care and good luck.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

No. Its totally a tracking device. And I dont know, for certain, I have never looked it up, but my friend who is a techie claims that some cell phones can be used as listening devices remotely.

I dont know, Im just saying what I have heard.

You arent getting something for free. You are being microchipped and recorded.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Free cell phones? That is just crazy. I can understand why tax payers would be getting angry. This simply shouldn't be going on. No one needs a cell phone. What comes next, free satellite television? Free computers with DSL? Free Mini Coopers with a monthly gas credit on a debit card? And I thought allowing people to use their food stamps at fast-food places was bad. This just takes welfare to a whole new level.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by boondock-saint

No. Its totally a tracking device. And I dont know, for certain, I have never looked it up, but my friend who is a techie claims that some cell phones can be used as listening devices remotely.

I dont know, Im just saying what I have heard.

You arent getting something for free. You are being microchipped and recorded.

Kind of like this..
www.youtube.com...

I am looking for a video in particular about how "they" can turn your microphone on in your phone and listen.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

Nobody is bashing the OP for being "poor." Lots of us are poor; I myself am on disability and like the OP, I am working hard to get my education and have a career. What I don't understand is the OP complaining about a program, while reaping the benefits of the program. Simple, if you hate it so much, give it back. Otherwise you look like a hypocrite. I also do not understand blaming Obama when this was not started under Obama. I notice the OP did not reply to the poster who revealed this information.
edit on 17-2-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
One of the real problems for the poor for many years has been not having a phone. It is virtually impossible to get hired, if you don't have a phone. And if you do get hired, your employer will almost assuredly want you to have a phone or at least some means of contact.

The idea of providing some who are poor with some kind of phone access to assist them in improving their lives is a good one, as for some a phone is a real luxury.

I know that for years I could not afford a phone and it made life very difficult. My parents had to send the police to my apartment to inform me of the death of my grandfather.

Employers ended interviews when I said I didn't have a home phone.

My advice to you is to thank your lucky stars that you live in a country that has enough to share with those less fortunate.

I personally never qualified for any assistance, except educational, but I am not against welfare programs.

I am against welfare fraud, which is rampant.

Use your phone as it is intended and go forth and prosper.

Then you can give your phone back to the state.
edit on 2011/2/17 by GradyPhilpott because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
OMGosh Im in Chicago and I am an at home Mommy, these commercial air all day long during talk shows, court shows, along with all the "colleges" that will make you pay thousands to get a job making 8.00 an hour.

The commercials for these are horrendous, one shows two teenage girls, one girl is upset because she got cut off from her boyfriend because she couldn't afford her cell phone bill, the other girl jumps in and says, why worry, you can get one for free!!, and then the narrator continues to tell you how the gov. will give you a free cell phone, cut to the ending scene and the girl has her new free phone and says, "yes I would love to go out tonight Jake" turns to her friend and gives the thumbs up.

I almost thru a shoe at my TV when I seen that commercial.
Wow, are you serious? That is how they market welfare phones in your area? Thats about as bad as someone getting one and then letting someone else burn through all the minutes!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

I agree, the system IS messed up when someone gets a welfare phone, and forces it upon someone else to whom it was NOT given, and they complain about having it at all. On a public web board. That is fraud, and its very messed up.

When you start a controversial thread you get both positive and negative replies, why are you complaining about that too?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by hapablab

Nobody is bashing the OP for being "poor." Lots of us are poor; I myself am on disability and like the OP, I am working hard to get my education and have a career. What I don't understand is the OP complaining about a program, while reaping the benefits of the program. Simple, if you hate it so much, give it back. Otherwise you look like a hypocrite. I also do not understand blaming Obama when this was not started under Obama. I notice the OP did not reply to the poster who revealed this information.
edit on 17-2-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

I have been looking into this thing about me Bashing Obama. Can you please point this out. I do not personally recall mentioning the President of the United States. Please point this out so I can reply to it. This is why I didn't reply to the first post. If it is in the links I posted, I was using them as to references on the program. If I need to find new links to obide by every ones political issues. Please ask me and I will search some out.

To clear this up. I believe that every president is a puppet. What he or she says in Congress is pretty much written by someone else. This is my take on the political issue.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think it's kind of disappointing that some people on this forum are so against able bodied individuals having things given to them. It would fine if there were jobs out there for everyone, but that is not the way this world works. When a person who works for a living meets someone who is unemployed and having to take freebies from the government, they should not be mad and disgusted. That is not indicative of being very understanding of the world and fellow humankind. That's being very presumptuous that you know everyone's circumstances and have the right to judge. A person who is working should be grateful they have jobs and if the person they look down on for not having one... gets one, they might be taking THEIR job, so if you are ready to stand up for the cut throat principles of this world, don't cringe when the knife winds up against your own neck.
edit on 17-2-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Wow. Yeah like that. Although my friend claims the government doesnt need to download software to do it, they have a way that is built into the phone.

What always cracks me up is how people were so adamant that the government would micro chip them over their dead bodies, yadda yadda, and they not only willing carry a chip, they pay for the privilege.

Giving the poor cell phones is just too obvious. To me, anyway. I dont think for a minute its for their benefit.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
People are making phones like crazy. Why throw the extras away? THAT would be absurd.

Not to mention how companies probably get crazy tax write offs for supporting the government through charity. If you gotta buy dope, simply use someone else's phone. What are people doing... talking about bomb recipes over the phone?

Charity is the GOOD side of the argument about the government... no wonder they do whatever they want so often, the convenient side of it is apparently unappreciated by many people.

Oh dear... this thread hurts my head, must ignore.
edit on 17-2-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

I agree, the system IS messed up when someone gets a welfare phone, and forces it upon someone else to whom it was NOT given, and they complain about having it at all. On a public web board. That is fraud, and its very messed up.

When you start a controversial thread you get both positive and negative replies, why are you complaining about that too?

Let me quote myself from my original post to answer your questions.

Here is my motive for making this thread.

This is not a rant. I would like to inform the ATS community on a terrible waste of the tax payer’s money. I did not do a search because this is my own personal experience with this program.

Here is why I do not want a cell phone in general. It also states that I will keep it on me in emergencies.

Well, a few days ago she surprised me again with handing me the phone and telling me to keep it on me for "emergencies." This is a huge problem for me because I had a cell phone for years with my family on their family plan. I told my mother last year to disconnect my phone because I was tired of the over priced crappy service. I also believe that people have become kind of brainwashed to the idea that they have to have a cell phone. This is the way I do things. If I do not like the product I will not buy it. It is my own personal way to reject the system. If more people would do this, I believe that the companies would lower their over inflated fees.

As stated In another post I made. It is not fraud. She signed up for the program that exists in our state. She was approved because she follows the rules. There is no fraud here my friend.

I do not want the phone. She signed up for it for emergencies. I will use it in emergencies.

I wanted to share my experience here because there has been alot of crappy threads and I wanted to get a good discussion going. I respect anybody's views, as long as they are civil, and I will reply to the best of my ability.

Thank you for taking the time to post.
edit on 17-2-2011 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I don't see why you don't just give the phone back... if you don't need it might as well not waste the public's money on it.

I'm glad there are some programs out there that will help people get on the right track again, but it seems they have gotten quite out of hand. Phones, cars, WiFi, etc this is getting ridiculous.

I'm currently unemployed and looking for work, even applying to jobs where I'd be making HALF what I used to. Still no luck. I don't have a cell phone, and haven't for close to a year now. Why don't I "deserve" a free phone? I don't, that's just it.

I collect bottles for the deposit, post ads on craigslist offering handyman services which has been working out quite well. I've had 2 garage sales and sell my unnecessary stuff on craigslist. I sold my old car that was worth about 7 grand and bought a 650 dollar beater off craigslist. Insurance is cheaper now too. I eat less, and buy cheaper food. I have downgraded everything in my life to fit my situation, I don't expect the government to subsidize my lifestyle.

I just can't stand it when I see people leeching off the government, when in actuality they could get by without that help, just like I have done. Some 300 pound person driving a nice car with laptops, iphones, ipods, etc etc etc. getting food stamps and welfare. I've seen it quite often, and know some people like that. It's ridiculous, stop eating so much, sell all the junk you don't need and then maybe you won't have to be sucking the tit of the government. It only makes it harder for people that really are having a hard time scratching by and need services that others are taking advantage of.

These comments are not directed at the OP, but at the people truly taking advantage of the system.

I would still say to give the phone back, but that's just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
My advice to you is to thank your lucky stars that you live in a country that has enough to share with those less fortunate.

Two things. First, we don't have enough to share. Many states and the nation as a whole are so far underwater that there is no chance of coming out. Second, anything we had wasn't sharing anyway, its taking from one and giving to another. When someone has extra and they give willingly, that is sharing. The other way is theft or in legal terms, taxes.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Two things. First, we don't have enough to share. Many states and the nation as a whole are so far underwater that there is no chance of coming out. Second, anything we had wasn't sharing anyway, its taking from one and giving to another. When someone has extra and they give willingly, that is sharing. The other way is theft or in legal terms, taxes.

It looks like Illinois is tied for first in the budget gap sector on this list.

1. (Tied) Illinois
Estimated FY 2011 Gap: $12.5 billion
Percent of General Fund: 45%

2011 Revenue Outlook:

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
i only read the first page,,,, so maybe someone already said it

but,,, it does make sense,,,,, if your on welfare more than likely you don't have a landline phone,,,, especially homeless,,, or bouncing from room to room,,,plus comcast wants a big down payment,, how can you fill out a phone number on a job app,,, or get a call back interview if you can't be reached by phone.

in this regard i see why this is a good idea..

now wether it's abused is another story,,,,

i sat at welfare for 4 hours with a buddy one day,,, it's a sight,,,, 300 pound red head chick with her g-string thong and buttcrack tattoo hanging out of her pants that keep falling down,, screaming at her 2 year old to sit like a soldier,,,, sickening,,, i so wanted to smack this ------!!!! and rescue that poor child
people wearing pajamas in public,,,, many,,, most i saw have the latest cell phones,,,, designer clothes galore,,new nikes, gold chains, designer jeans,, and some that are obviously selling drugs/delaers and getting welfare on the side as well. they don't seem to be scraping buy but doing well,,, probably could do without assistance

the crazy people talking to themselves,,,, who really need help,,,, and deserve it

the single mom's in their twenty's with two kids,,,,, apparently popping kids out with little forethought in a new hobby/sport

and people you can tell are hard up,,, or struggling and need some help temporarily,,,, or those who you can tell are homeless and need it

but most there are a joke,,,, and abusing the system

another friend of that kid uses his food stamp money for drugs,,,,, he has a scam with a deli where he gives the guy 150.00 in food strmps and the owner gives him 75.00 cash

oversight is lacking,,,, and hurdles to make sure only those who need it would bother and follow through

oh and my buddy needed welfare,,,, then was put on meds so medicaid paid........ but it's like 900.00 a month in pills,,,, so you lose welfare if you work over 20 hours a week,,,,,,, a minimum wage job wouldn't even cover his medical needs.

so he has to stay on medicaid fully,,,, to get the meds,,,, they need a half way program where he can work and get assistance for medical care,,,,,,,,,, but the way it's set up he's screwed,,, stuck on welfare till he can get off the meds
edit on 17-2-2011 by shortywarn because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

They are a waste of government money, although I can see a need for them in SOME instances. It was mentioned earlier that they could be used to track your movements (TracFone?) as the GPS cannot be turned off as far as I can tell; but you should also remember that the Government doesn't need a warrent to tap their phones, watch what you say you may have a listener on your line.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I believe that it may the the precursor the a nationl RFID chip to be implemented for the sake of keeping track of the population.

Free cell phones is just a coverup for government testing of how much space will be required to pull this feat off.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just rambling but I don't know what to think about a government that'll feed you with one hand and stab you in the back with the other.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join