It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just recieved a free welfare phone!! I am not happy.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I searched for a forum for ten minutes and I chose this one, being that it is a social issue. This is not a rant. I would like to inform the ATS community on a terrible waste of the tax payer’s money. I did not do a search because this is my own personal experience with this program.

First of all before the hounds are unleashed on me I would like to state a few things to get the facts out there about my situation.

I am currently in my last semester of college and will graduate the two year welding tech program this spring. I work part time at a local business and was employed there for 12 years full time. I have always considered myself to be poor. I am fed up with it and I decided to make a change for my kid’s future. You can check some of my posts on other threads to get an idea about my situation having three kids one of which I pay child support on, way too much child support to tell you the truth. But that is another topic for another day.

My girlfriend of more than ten years surprised me last week with the news of her saying she is going to receive a free cell phone with free minutes. I did not take her too seriously and continued on my ATS journey, because I realize that nothing is free. (I would like to add that my girlfriend is a dietary tech (cook) at a nursing home and works four days a week sometimes more if needed.) We are not lazy and we work. We are trying to get out of this hole that has consumed more and more people.

Well, a few days ago she surprised me again with handing me the phone and telling me to keep it on me for "emergencies." This is a huge problem for me because I had a cell phone for years with my family on their family plan. I told my mother last year to disconnect my phone because I was tired of the over priced crappy service. I also believe that people have become kind of brainwashed to the idea that they have to have a cell phone. This is the way I do things. If I do not like the product I will not buy it. It is my own personal way to reject the system. If more people would do this, I believe that the companies would lower their over inflated fees.

I have had this cell phone for a few days now. It comes with 250 minutes every month for free. I have only used one minute of the air time in three days or so. I do not want this phone but the girlfriend says I have to have it. I think that it is a waste of tax payer’s money and I wonder what the real motive of this program is.

Here is some information I found on the program.

Welfare recipients in approximately 20 states–with more to follow– are currently eligible to receive a free cell phone with a limited number of monthly minutes. All individuals that qualify for state or federal welfare–food stamps, Medicaid, etc.–and have an income at or below 135% of the poverty level, are eligible. According to a Fox News report, the cell phone service is currently the fastest growing welfare program in the country.

In 2008, the fund that foots the bill for this program contributed $819 million to subsidize low-income telephone services. The fund is projected to grow to over $1 billion this year. That’s $1 billion of over $800 billion the United States will spend on welfare in 2010.

This particular program is covered by the federal Universal Service Fund. At first it received its money by essentially taxing telephone companies that provided long-distance service, with the money then being used to provide affordable rates for those living in less densely populated areas where phone service was more costly. However, in 1996, Congress voted to extend the use of this fund to subsidize low-income households and subsequently expanded the list of those required to pay into the fund to include: local telephone companies, wireless companies, paging services, and payphone providers. (Naturally, the cost for this fund is passed to the customer.) In 2008, the Federal Communications Commission began subsidizing cell phones for low-income households.
blog.heritage.org/2010/01/18/government-welfare-cell-phones-for-the-poo r/

This is totally absurd considering the state of Illinois budget crisis. A crisis that will not be fixed with government payed free cell phones. Here is the state of Illinois budget shortfall numbers.

The legislative session that began today as the House convened will take aim at a budget deficit of at least $13 billion, including a backlog of more than $6 billion in unpaid bills and almost $4 billion in missed payments to underfunded state pensions.
www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-03 /illinois-must-plug-13-billion-deficit-in-days-that-took-years-to-produce.html

Here is another article.

Budget cuts endanger lives of children in child welfare system, ACLU of Illinois tells federal court.

CHICAGO – Budget cuts forced by Governor Pat Quinn and the Illinois General Assembly endanger the safety and lives of children in the state’s foster care system. The draconian budget cuts set to go into effect on July 1st severely impair the ability of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) to ensure the well-being and welfare of vulnerable children in their care and violate a federal court agreement that is responsible for transforming the previously-troubled agency. These charges form the basis of an emergency motion filed today by the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois seeking to enforce critical terms of the consent decree monitored by the U.S. District Court in Chicago. Judge John Grady will hear arguments in support of the ACLU of Illinois’ efforts to enforce the decree on Monday, June 29th at 5:00 p.m. in Room 2201 of the Dirksen Federal Building in downtown Chicago.
www.aclu-il.org /budget-cuts-endanger-lives-of-children-in-child-welfare-system-aclu-of-illinois-tells-federal-court/

Most people that I know would say *snip* it. It is on the government, I do not have to pay for it. This is not how I feel. I am not happy. I do not want a cell phone to begin with.

We have to do something about this.

Or is it too late?
edit on 16-2-2011 by liejunkie01 because: structure

edit on 16-2-2011 by gallopinghordes because: please don't circumvent our censors.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I hope that my girlfriend doesn't find this thread...lol..

I will be sleeping on the couch for a month.

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Relax man.. Accept the phone... Use it and ditch it once it's used up it's free time. Stop sweating the small things in life! No biggie! Just remember, that although you may not feel you need it, there are many people out there who benefit from such a service. I'm sure the government wastes money on much worse things.

IRM

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Wow. Unbelievable.

Cell phones. I am so dumbfounded I can't even begin to compose my thoughts.

We really are an entitlement society. With the fiscal nightmare the nation is in, and they vote to fund THIS!

I don't know how anyone can actually pay their taxes when they see where it goes.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Relax man.. Accept the phone... Use it and ditch it once it's used up it's free time. Stop sweating the small things in life! No biggie! Just remember, that although you may not feel you need it, there are many people out there who benefit from such a service. I'm sure the government wastes money on much worse things.

IRM

I cannot use up the minutes.

It gets reloaded with 250 minutes every month.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
Wow. Unbelievable.

Cell phones. I am so dumbfounded I can't even begin to compose my thoughts.

We really are an entitlement society. With the fiscal nightmare the nation is in, and they vote to fund THIS!

I don't know how anyone can actually pay their taxes when they see where it goes.

I was shocked when she did get it in the mail.

I thought it was some sort of online scam..lol

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Well, not every funding bill passed can be geared towards blowing Muslim children into little meaty bits and pillaging hte economies of Spanish-speaking countries.

Welcome to modern society, where a land line just doesn't cut it anymore. Just as landline telephones superseded carrier pigeons.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

sir what kind of phone do you have?

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
At my doctor's office there is a notice posted that requests people to donate their old cell phones. I asked the receptionist, what are they being used for. She told me that they would be given to low income families, and victims of asault and abuse, elderly individuals etc.

I told her my phone died when the battery went dead and never came back. She said "that's OK, they refurbish them."

So, my cell phone gives jobs and security to my community, (albeit govn funded) not a bad thing.

What I don't understand is why your girlfreind insists that YOU keep HER phone? (apron strings?)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
its a good program for sick and elderly people the may need a phone for 911 purposes but to an able body working age american is not cool imo but hey the government gave $2.11 trillion in welfare ie. tax cuts to the rich so now we know who needs the welfare the most the rich xD

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Your right. I guess these must be smart phones, Iphones even, because dumb phones don't cut it anymore. I hope they got their government subsidized computers to sync them with, that way they don't miss out on the latest mp3s. Horses don't cut it anymore either, when do they drop off the keys to a government subsidized car, should be a bargain for taxpayers now that they own GM.

It isn't the governments place to provide things, but to ensure the freedom for individuals to pursue the things they desire.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

HAHA she will find the thread...they always do. Mine thought I was cheating then she found out I was just on ATS and she was like "oh your just weird". she almost looked more disappointed than if I had cheated on her

edit on 17-2-2011 by RANDOMguess because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

sir what kind of phone do you have?

Are you an employee of the Illinois Department of Human Services?...lol..just kidding.

I was a little worried about posting my experience in a public forum. But what the hey. It is perfectly legal and she follows the rules.

To answer your question it is a track phone. I took a picture of it and I will post it after this reply.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I stopped carrying and using a cell about five years ago, have honestly NEVER needed it or missed it. I'm either at work, at home or somewhere else with a land line, it's just an adult version of a pacifier. I applaud you for putting your personal story out there, you obviously gain nothing by blowing the whistle, we need guys like you in Washington!

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

wow free food shelter and now cell phones too?
why am I busting my ass working 40 hours a week?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Here is a crappy pic with my crappy camera. Sorry for the quality(or lack of), it looks to be blurry as hell. I do not know if it is sized right or set right. I am just starting to learn how to embed pics and video.The phone is nothing special but that does not take away frome the fact that it is unecessary.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba51e53786e6.jpg[/atsimg]

EDIT: lol.. It looks like I will have to adjust the sizing a little. And get a new camera.

edit on 17-2-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
am I the only one who sees the tracking device
given to a segment of the population?
Yes, come take our free phone,
now we can see exactly where you are
any time we want. Who needs RFID Chips
when they carry their free phones everywhere?

And if you have their free phone and their
GPS tracking places you in an industrial
site working when you have stated on ur
welfare application that you are not working.
They have proof, u r working if u take that
phone to work and u r busted for welfare
fraud.

I'd ditch it, like a hot potato,
preferably at least 50+ miles
from my residence.

link   

reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Your right. I guess these must be smart phones, Iphones even, because dumb phones don't cut it anymore. I hope they got their government subsidized computers to sync them with, that way they don't miss out on the latest mp3s. Horses don't cut it anymore either, when do they drop off the keys to a government subsidized car, should be a bargain for taxpayers now that they own GM.

It isn't the governments place to provide things, but to ensure the freedom for individuals to pursue the things they desire.

You didn't know? They already have government provided WiFi, it was in the same "stimulus" as the cellphones.

www.abiresearch.com...

The 2009 Federal Stimulus Bill
A Windfall for 3G and Wi-Fi for Vendors with a Plan
The 2009 American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, also known as the “2009 Stimulus Bill” offers enormous opportunity for both wireless communications equipment vendors and WLAN equipment vendors. Funding for rural broadband alone exceeds $7.2 billion.

Monday, September 13, 2010
US gives computers, not broadband, to Philly poor
Obama's Internet stimulus program will give away 5,000 computers to "public housing residents and formerly homeless youth" in Philadelphia, plus training contracts to keep nonprofit agencies in business, but will stop short (in this grant) of giving away free or reduced-rate home Internet service, to poor Philadelphians. US Gov't statement and link here.

Obama's appointees have been pushing taxpayer-subsidized Internet construction subisides in upstate Pennsyvlania and other rural areas, but have shied away from similarly subsidizing service in cities where it could cut into sales by Comcast, Verizon and other Internet providers.

www.philly.com...

Housing, cellphones, computers, food stamps, medical care, internet. All thanks to Uncle Bammy.

Now, cars with AAA and government funded car insurance.

Link

Free cars for poor fuel road rage

Gov. Deval Patrick’s free wheels for welfare recipients program is revving up despite the stalled economy, as the keys to donated cars loaded with state-funded insurance, repairs and even AAA membership are handed out to get them to work.

link   

I guess that's why some parts of the USA resemble the third world! It's simply not possible for some people (for whatever reason) to pursue the things they desire. Perhaps one day if you find yourself in a gutter, your position may change. Until then, consider yourself lucky!

IRM :shk:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
am I the only one who sees the tracking device
given to a segment of the population?
Yes, come take our free phone,
now we can see exactly where you are
any time we want. Who needs RFID Chips
when they carry their free phones everywhere?

And if you have their free phone and their
GPS tracking places you in an industrial
site working when you have stated on ur
welfare application that you are not working.
They have proof, u r working if u take that
phone to work and u r busted for welfare
fraud.

I'd ditch it, like a hot potato,
preferably at least 50+ miles
from my residence.

Thank you for bringing this up boon. I really am a paranoid individual. I do have a problem with having a GPS device in my pocket. I was thinking of the tracking idea after I made the thread.

Star my friend

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join