It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Test your internet security, post results:

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Test your popup blocker:
1 - www.popuptest.com...
2 - www.popupcheck.com...

My result:
1- Failed "Drop down Popup", "Sticky popup"
2-Failed "Floating Popup Test"

Test your firewall:
www.grc.com...
(then click go to services tab, then click "shields up" then select "all service ports" to begin test)

My result"

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

This is my desktop, my laptop passes pretty much all of the popup tests, but I dont have a firewall set up on it.

Also on my firewall test I tried the "file sharing" test:

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist! One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

I believe I can say I do not exist on the Internet
edit on 16-2-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I don't know what browser you're using, but with Chrome and no extensions for it I didn't have a single popup get through.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

Using firefox 3.6.10 for ubuntu. My firefox works better at blocking popups in windows vista though, pretty much none come through.

Im going to upgrade to firefox 4 beta and try the test (if they have it for ubuntu)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Same here...passed all of them. I recently started using a program called Privoxy and thought that may have been it but it seems Chrome is good on its own. Privoxy does do a good job at blocking those video ads that automatically start to play, especially when you have multiple tabs going and you can't find the thing but can still hear it....really annoying.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Oh also, just ran the firewall test. I don't know which of my routers I'm connected to at the moment, probably my WRT54G running DD-WRT, but I've gotten perfect results on those tests too. I'm kinda surprised, I don't exactly aim to be as secure as possible.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by bh325es

To make your browser even better at blocking ads use the extension "adblock plus" with firefox, there is a statistics count on it, you will be amazed how much trash your adblocker will filter out. It is the best invention ever.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Yea with the router, I have some linksys router, but I have a firewall on my desktop, so Im not sure which one is doing its job, but whatever the case is it seems to be working, all 1056 of the important ports were undetectable.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

See, I would have figured having a wireless bridge in my network would have opened up some vulnerability somewhere along the line. Apparently not though, at least for these attacks.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Failed:
Floating Popup
Floating Banner
Sticky Popup

On the Firewall test, I got the following message:

Browser Reload Suppressed
For your security, your web browser's "reload"
function has been temporarily disabled
Allowing a web browser to "reload" a page which has already been sent to you creates a "security hole" that would allow someone using your computer at any later time to attain potentially private and personal information.

To safeguard your privacy we have disabled the browser's "reload" or "refresh" facility while you are in sensitive areas of our web site. Reloading pages will function normally once you have left this area . . . but until then please refrain from "reloading" pages.

You may press your browser's [BACK] button now to return to the page prior to the one you were just viewing.

Thanks very much for your interest and patronage.

There was no option for me to test "file sharing" since the entire firewall test was blocked.

I guess I'm pretty safe.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Yea that's true, but you can still be vulnerable to probably "man in the middle" attacks, in that case where there is an intrusion and your data is unencrypted. But inorder for a MIM attack to be successful they have to get into your system, which is hard because of your firewall settings.

So if you access your email, pay bills from a public place that may be a whole different story because your usiing someone else's router. In that case you may need a firewall on your laptop with encrypted Internet (https).

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Underworlds

I wouldn't worry too much about the firewall test, even if one port doesn't pas the test, the website says "FAIL", having one failing port isnt cause for panic.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Underworlds

Underworlds, you'll have to go to www.grc.com and go to services at the top and click ShieldsUP! to get to the test.

By the way professional, the link you have directly to the test doesn't work.
edit on 16-2-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Oh can you gimme the link, I will fix it in my post
2nd

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

It's the way their site is set up, you can't link directly to the test apparently. They'll have to go to www.grc.com, go to services at the top and click ShieldsUP!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I passed the GRC firewall test but I failed this websites firewall test: www.pcflank.com...
Fixed my link

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

The quick test on that one told me I failed 2 parts, but the individual tests passed. Strange.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Same here its weird, maybe their "quick" test is old, I passed all the advanced tests, I ran the commonly used hacker ports.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Running Norton 360 premier edition, My computer is in Full Stealth Mode, Grc couldnt get to any ports, and it cant find my DNS, I tried a few random reverse DNS look up services and my computer doesnt exist.

yay me

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

My results:

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
1056 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

I use WebRoot btw.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Firefox 4.0 beta came standard browser with the install of Peppermint (a Mint/Ubuntu variant) and I kinda dig it. The constant beta changes are a bit annoying but all in all, it's going to be much better then the current version when it's fully released (think that is supposed to be end of this month...?)

edit on 16-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join