It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Projects!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
There have to be some scientists and engineers here at ATS doing research or working on projects. What are you currently doing and what have you done in the past? I'll start with mine:

As an undergraduate in Wildlife Biology, I'm currently working on my first project. A graduate student and I are taking measurements on Coyote skulls to help determine migration routes of Coyotes into West Virginia and to see how they compare to other populations of Coyotes. We're hoping to get this small project published.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

That's pretty damn cool!

In Moscow State University I am working on an eventual "doctorates" in biomed. There is a cool project now where a few years back, we give diabetic persons a small tattoo that changes color to indicate blood sugar levels. We are learning to perfect it now.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I'm working with various martial art stances to strengthen my nervous system and remove energetic blockages, resulting in more energy passing through my body and being available at any given time. I'm already noticing improvements in emotional stability and clairvoyant sight. Not to mention sex drive...

What? Simple Electromagnetism.

edit on 16-2-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
There have to be some scientists and engineers here at ATS doing research or working on projects. What are you currently doing and what have you done in the past? I'll start with mine:

As an undergraduate in Wildlife Biology, I'm currently working on my first project. A graduate student and I are taking measurements on Coyote skulls to help determine migration routes of Coyotes into West Virginia and to see how they compare to other populations of Coyotes. We're hoping to get this small project published.

First of all, what does the measurements of a coyote skull have to do with migration? Secondly, how would your measurements differ from other populations of coyotes, or why. Also what distance are we talking about?

You should probably post what you know or else people here (including me) are going to wonder if there is ANY significant meaning to this "phenomenon" (if this is a phenomenon).

Peace & Respect,

AS
edit on 16-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: added

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Well, I didn't really come here looking for criticism. I just wanted to see what fields and projects ATS members are involved in.

But if you must know, it's been documented in several reports that North Eastern coyotes are larger than their Western counterparts, which is interesting considering their recent migration to the North East. Even more recently than their general migration to the North East, Coyotes have migrated into West Virginia. By studying the morphology of their skulls, we can possibly get an idea of where they migrated into WV from, which will help us manage possible migration in the future. This is also important in terms of population genetics and such, for if we find that WV coyotes are becoming morphologically distinct from other coyotes, then genetic research might be conducted to determine whether or not we should begin treating them as a distinct population.
edit on 16-2-2011 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I was not looking for a "fight" PieKepper
.... Just looking for the "why" which I believe you've explained very well (thank you for that!).

I wish you and you project partner well. Wish I could help you more

PS: I think me asking those question may help you as they are already out of the way!

Peace & Respect,

AS

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Well, I guess you can't have the pie and eat it too.

How is this important? Does it even directly effect you? If the world ended next year...

Coyotes are magnificent creatures and should be able to do their own damn thang. You too.

Call it criticism but I believe those are important points to sit back and contemplate.

No need to respond.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Hi!

I'm working on development of a frangible, small-caliber (> .35 caliber) solid projectile that will stay intact at velocities in excess of 6000 feet per second.

I will patent it and market it exclusively to coyote hunters.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

That's really cool.My girlfriend is diabetic and would really benefit from that innovation if you can make it work.How is it working so far.Do you think it will last and continue to function?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Ahh yes, that wasn't really direct at you. There was a previous post which was somewhat harshly critical, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper

Ahh yes, that wasn't really direct at you. There was a previous post which was somewhat harshly critical, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I understand your research but I don't quite fully understand the relevance of it .... However since you are a student I will SnF this so that you may garner the attention of those who may have valuable input to you research. Good luck friend!

Peace & Respect,

AS

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayura
How is this important?

It's important because it has management implications, and it increases our understanding of their biology.

Does it even directly effect you?

Directly? No. Indirectly? It affects a lot of people.

Coyotes are not from West Virginia, or the Eastern US for that matter. Their presence could adversely affect native wildlife, which would be a detriment to biodiversity.

Also, larger coyotes could mean that they have a capacity to take out larger prey, meaning a possible increase in mortality of game species.

These sorts of things affect how we conserve and manage wildlife and ecosystems.

Coyotes are magnificent creatures and should be able to do their own damn thang. You too.

We're studying the skulls of a sample group, we're not affecting the population at large.Also, our skulls are collected from coyotes that are being used in a larger study on diet. These coyotes are collected primarily from the USDA Wildlife Services, which would instead be destroyed (probably burned) if not for the research being conducted. The coyotes are pretty much free (we don't have to kill more to gather samples) and it's a two for one deal; each coyote contributes to two separate studies.

Edit: I think one of the important things about this skull project is the fact that we are using samples collected from another study to do even more research. It conserves resources and gives us even more information. I think that this multiple-project approach is interesting and it's something I'd like to implement in the future, given that I do participate in more research.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I live in western NY the coyotes up here were introduced buy the department of environmental conservation years ago to prey on deer.Only they don't prey on deer.The deer population is bigger than ever.And the yotes are now spreading into urban areas.People are being attacked.There were three or four attacks last summer.The yotes are starting to pack up.They are being seen in small groups.Guess the DEC kind of messed up.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

The graduate student I'm working with has actually studied urban coyotes in Chicago. The availability of food (trash, rats, house pets, etc.) is probably a lot easier to live on than actively searching in the wild, which would draw them to urban areas. At least, this would make sense to me. I don't know for sure.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Hey, thanks. It is working out great! We have tattooed over 2,100 diabetics, all of them are a success, each and every one of them. It is incredibly accurate. It is going to be implemented regularly in the medical field over here in Russia in about 2 years, we have to get through the legalities of everything at the moment.

Not too sure if someone over in the USA picked up on it or not yet.... if not, come take a trip to Moscow and get her tatted :-P

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

I've actually heard about this sort of thing.

How long do you guys think the tattoos will last for?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Well, it is a permanent tattoo, and the one's used 4 years ago are just as reliable as the freshly given ones, so we are thinking this could last the life of the tattoo. Maybe a touch up after 10 years, depending on the wear and tear. As long as the ink is in you and visible, the tattoo is fine.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I have so many projects in mind that I collect junk and sort it out in shoeboxes. Then I spend all of my free time on ATS....lol.....
I am currently investigating the possibility of making my own scale model magnetic pulse motor. I collect solar cells and plan on using some of them in my design. I do not have a PHD or nothing like that. I am in my last semester at the local college about to graduate the two year program in welding tech.. I have a very good imagination and really hate how I am being screwed out of my hard earned money....lol...

I am excited because I just bought two more small solar panels on E bay..

I will be energy independent before I croak and end up 6 feet under. This is my ultimate project.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Not a scientist or engineer, here. But I do have "currently an undergrad" in common with the original poster.
My projects:
4 fine art prints (screenprinting) in series (before May)
2 additional Movement/Motion (large) +their studies (oil painting)
1 or more pieces: revisit techniques used in my 'o7 collage homage to Manet's torreador, use same method on larger "painting", perhaps an odalisque. This is what i call "painting with paper""
Also this reminds me, I need to askneighbor about painting on his property.

Good idea for a thread, wv coyote dude.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I have a coyote skull out here in a cage. I set it out where I work so I can keep an eye on it as the seasons strip away the flesh and hair.

I have noted that this one is a young animal so the skull is quite small. The OP's study, are you trapping the animals and determining age in order to differentiate the possibility of a size ratio?

Also, as with most mammals, a higher protein diet accounts for a steadily larger body over time and also larger offspring; as Seasons ebb and flow with prey-food so too should the diet change.

This reminds me of how beak lengths on Desert Thrashers can change from Season to Season based on the available cactus seeds as they appear in Nature; some deep set in thorns, others exposed easily, as cactus bloom in sets and often years apart.

I do take interest in the Coyote, I have run into several references to a "Coy-dog", but I have never seen pictures. There was a neighborhood recently where I spotted a very odd dog in a backyard that looked to be a cross, but the guy moved suddenly and I never got to ask him.

This picture is quite fascinating looking of a coydog

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join