It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gas prices have gone up significantly

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Overnight in my area gas has gone up 22 cents per gallon!!! Why???

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Ok, stop driving...

This is simple problem/solution.

Either you find away around your problem or keep bitching like an underfed slave.

Your choice, Jack.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by syncelebrity

Partly because of the unrest in the middle east countries, and partly because they can.

Be thankful you're living in the US, in both Canada and the UK gas costs more. Other places too, I'm sure.

And Canada has its own supply

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I would but as many americans I have a job. This job requires a 125 mile commute per day. No other jobs close to home.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Partly because of the unrest in the middle east countries, and partly because they can.

Be thankful you're living in the US, in both Canada and the UK gas costs more. Other places too, I'm sure.

And Canada has its own supply

canada has it's own supply, but to bad it's owned and controlled by esso, shell and a host of other foreign companies.

so really canada doesn't have it's own supply.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I am thankful. kind of. Just wanted to know if anyone knew why....and not really bitching (especially like an underfed slave.) Just asking a question.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I got a question: What happens if gas prices go up to $20 a gallon? Would that be a repeat of 1973?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Gas is just trying to catch up to the melt value of a (real silver) pre-1965 quarter.
1 gallon of gas = 1 silver quarter, as it has in most of the past 60 years.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
For anyone who cares about the cost of oil be thankful for Alberta for we just gave a huge boost to our oilsands development!

The Alberta government is directing a chunk of the province’s oil sands production to a proposed $5-billion upgrader, giving the long-awaited project the capacity necessary to ignite construction plans.

Source... I suggest to read this article as this is BIG news here.

Oh and by the way....you don't start a 5Billion dollar investment without looking for some BIG returns .... say about 25 Billion?
edit on 16-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: added

SnF

AS
edit on 16-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: SnF

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Here in Blighty its £1.30 a litre. Diesel even more! And if you think its bad now wait until the unrest in the middle east gets worse and they blockade the Suez Canal!!!! Our government, god bless their cotton socks, have decided to help us all out by putting off the initiating of the 1p increase in tax.. Thats right...you heard me right- 1p!!! They dont mention the fact that out of every pound you pay at the pump 80p of it goes to the tax man.. Its a national scandal- a scandal which is coming your way real soon believe me.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Fuel here in the uk is £1.30 ($2.08) a litre for Petrol and £1.34 ($2.14) a litre for Diesel.

48.97ppl plus duty 58.95ppl = 107.92ppl then the VAT @ 20% (28.98ppl) = 134.9ppl. Thats equivelent total tax of 175% added.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I second Mayura's notion of not driving. Many people complain that they must drive because of their job, but this doesn't necessarily make sense. You choose where to work, you choose how to get there. There's usually a way to position your life in a way so that you just don't have to drive.

I haven't drove in over 18 months and it's AWESOME.

I've got a bike, and two feet, and these get me wherever I need to go, else there's always easy ways to barter rides for other goodies.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Glad the weather is getting warmer soon, can park my truck for awhile and bring out the Harley Davidson, maybe riding it all next winter if gas prices keep going up... Truck will become a bad weather vehicle only.

Here a good look at prices: Fuel Costs

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Gas prices have not gone up. The value of the dollar has gone down!!

Oil , Gasoline, Natural gas, energy in general has a concrete value.

If the USA dollar loses value , the price for a gallon of gasoline rises.

If the USA dollar gains value, the price for a gallon of gasoline lowers.

(side note, what defines value),

It seems ironic, that the better the USA dollar does means the more gasoline will cost.

And the more devalued dollar will mean the less the gallon of gasoline will cost.

Look at the price of gasoline as a benchmark.

The lower the price of gasoline means the dollar is weak.

The higher the price of gasoline means the dollar is strong......

Very Ironic if I do say so myself.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I was well into my adulthood before I noticed that there is a weekly cycle to gas prices.

In my area, late Tuesday to early Thursday the price will jump up 10 to 20 cents.
It will hang there for a day and a half then fall a few cents per day until the next jump.
My habit is to buy late Monday. I may not get the cheapest for the week but I never pay the jump price.

Drive a road where there are two (or more) busy stations for a couple of weeks, you will see the pattern.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

We just got our new home tax assessment. POOF our house is now valued over 2X what is was. It's a big lie so our township can screw us on taxes.

The house next door is near identical to our little 70(?) yr old Sears-Roebuck prefab kit ranch house. (there were 3 identical Sears homes in a row, only 1 is unmolested) It stood empty and uninhabitable for a few years, having been condemned before the senior who owned it passed on. Finally a greedy speculator came along. He paid twice the price of our (move-in condition) house for a condemned building. He sank a bundle of money, time and hard work into restoring the house. It sits with a For Sale sign out front for years now.

So because this jackass overpaid for a house he can't sell, my humble home is now going to be taxed sky-high?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The most recent spike can be directly linked to this. Unrest in the ME tends to drive OPEC to hike up the price per barrel of oil, and the Suez Canal is a major shipping lane.

Edit: For a bit more reading, here's an article on the situation.
edit on 2/17/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by syncelebrity

The plan all along is to raise the prices to $5.00 by the summer, this was planned long before the economic downfall, the only reason we didn't reach the 5 dollars yet is because the economic crisis hit.

But the summer before the market crash the middle eastern oil producers where having meetings on how to raise the prices to reach the desirable outcome for them.

Here in ATS it was various threads that talk about those meetings.

Everything when on a stand still due to the market crash, now that our government is claiming sugar coated economic recovery and the plans to get the gas prices to 5 dollars are back

Don't get so surprised everything is going up, States taxes, food, oil, gas and even the clothing on your backs.

Other countries are responding with riots and protest, in America people just bend over and take some more, because the government said is good for all of us.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
Gas prices have not gone up. The value of the dollar has gone down!!

Oil , Gasoline, Natural gas, energy in general has a concrete value.

If the USA dollar loses value , the price for a gallon of gasoline rises.

If the USA dollar gains value, the price for a gallon of gasoline lowers.

(side note, what defines value),

It seems ironic, that the better the USA dollar does means the more gasoline will cost.

And the more devalued dollar will mean the less the gallon of gasoline will cost.

Look at the price of gasoline as a benchmark.

The lower the price of gasoline means the dollar is weak.

The higher the price of gasoline means the dollar is strong......

Very Ironic if I do say so myself.

I had to read this a few times as I had confused myself within the reading, but you do make a good point.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Just paid 3.19 a gal not half an hour ago
some say China is to blame others say it's the mid east...
As for I don't know but my guess is someone is getting rich while we little guys struggle

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join