It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Duck Discovers a New Molecule 20 Years Before Science!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Talk about the possibilities that creative people draw their ideas from external, or other worldly, influences!

Carl Barks and the ducks did so much for the scientific world that Cornell University named an asteroid after him. This was, of course, after he was published in a scientific journal for his comic book that accidentally discovered a new molecule ...

Carl Barks had absolutely no background in science or chemistry and, much like his ship-raising technique, believed at the time that he was just pulling it all out of a duck's ass. Twenty years later, Disney received a letter from Joseph B. Lambert at the California Institute of Technology, informing them of an article about to be published in the New York Academic Press called "The Spin States of Carbenes." The article referenced "literature of no less than 19 years ago," which was considered the first published work depicting a new carbene called Methylene. A carbene that the scientific world had only just discovered.

Barks had apparently made reference to methylene, described as CH2, almost 20 years before science could prove its existence. Oddly enough, it wasn't even Disney that caught the reference, but one of the real-life doctors that actually discovered the stuff: Dr. Gaspar, who had a "long-standing esteem for the adventures of Donald Duck." So far, we've seen Donald Duck enthusiasts that are international patent officers, world-famous directors and respected scientists. Clearly, there is a vast conspiracy of powerful and influential people who communicate exclusively via duck comic.

Even more insane: A year later, Disney got another letter, this time from Richard Greenwald, a scientist at Harvard. It let them know that not only had Donald Duck discovered Methylene years before, but that, in the comic, Donald also used Methylene to react with other substances in what was later confirmed to be a scientifically accurate way. And he did it "many years before 'real chemists' thought to do so."

Those were the "real chemist's" own words: "Dang, that duck is way smarter than we are!"

SOURCE

Crazy!

I'm an artist, and I think its crazy to think that something I make could be referenced decades in the future and credited with an advancement in something practical, like in science.

If these ideas are injected into a person, be it from the universe, extra terrestrials, etc, that person may have absolutely no knowledge of the effects it can have some number of years later.

Everything we make could be a possible trigger that advances the human race.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Oh, they knew about it back then. I'm well aware how the black operations on this planet are connected to the media... It's just now that the public is getting a glimpse. Last I heard, Phil Schneider said there were 20 something 'new' elements and plenty were extraterrestrial in origin.

Coincidence? Artistic genius? Nah...

Hate to break it to ya kid, but there isn't going to be a next (3D) decade on this planet.

The biggest artistic breakthrough in existence is yourself!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I've seen this story before but your source is flawed.
The chemical formula CH2 is not possible in nature. If one solitary carbon is put together with hydrogen it will always be CH4
edit on 16-2-2011 by BadMagician because: one *solitary* carbon

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Only on planet earth, where do we , humans tap, whenever we get our inspiration?
What forces drives us ever forward, even without our knowledge?
we are here along for the ride, and the silent side, the magical part of humanity, where words have power and our actions are deliberate, many mystics have spoken about mans inner silence, and the eternal fountain of knowledge hidden beneath layers and layers of social interactions and social conditioning, sometimes, by design of some unknown thermodynamic forces, laymen catch glimpses of the other side, and in their fevered dreams pull us forward, unfortunately, sometimes when that happens, the rest of us have no idea what they are talking about!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

Every element is extra-terrestrial in origin - nothing strange tehre.

guessing CH2 might have been pure luck - but postulating that anything might react with NH4 - amonium is hardly rocket science!

whoever it was said Ch2 can't exist - oh yes it can - it is called Methylene - en.wikipedia.org...

But it was also well known befior the Duck mentioned it - albeit as part of other molecules - eg bichloride of methylene (CH2 CF2)was an anaesthetic in the late 1800's

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BadMagician

I wouldn't know, do you have a source?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayura

The biggest artistic breakthrough in existence is yourself!

I couldn't agree with you more, but I love the force that compels myself, and others, to make art. art from art, its all beautiful.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by Mayura

But it was also well known befior the Duck mentioned it - albeit as part of other molecules - eg bichloride of methylene (CH2 CF2)was an anaesthetic in the late 1800's

again, I wouldn't know, but I like this part:

.. not only had Donald Duck discovered Methylene years before, but that, in the comic, Donald also used Methylene to react with other substances in what was later confirmed to be a scientifically accurate way. And he did it "many years before 'real chemists' thought to do so."

new topics

top topics

join