It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Moon perfectly normal? It appears so.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
*Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move to appropriate. Thank you.

Hello good people of ATS.

This is following a statement that I made in purplemonkeydishwasher's thread called:

WOW i just witnessed a [the?] pole shift or something even weirder????????? mind blown,

Link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

In this thread I mentioned seeing the moon which seemed on a wrong axis, shadowed like a "bottom crescent" or "U" shaped.

Here is a pretty similar picture of the moon as I saw it, not too long ago:

Now, on this thread named above, I have noticed that many ATS members were also alarmed (or not at ease) that they saw the exact same thing. At various times, and different places. So I did a bit of research.

I am no astronomer, so please avoid questioning me about the validity of what I have found. I simply would not know how to answer you. It simply makes sense to me, and brought my worries down a notch (the reason why I'm sharing) but if there are some astronomers in the place, it would be great if you could join in and submit your opinions.

The first link I propose is simply an animation of the moon tilts and how they look with our eyes. Sometimes, a picture is worth more than a thousand words.

It is called:

A simplified animation of the tilt of the waxing or waning Moon in different parts of the world

Link: www.math.nus.edu.sg...

Interesting, isn't it?

The second link is from the Madison Metropolitan School District Planetarium. It describes the reasons as to why sometimes the moon seems to be tilted on it's back like a "U".

Question: Why is the crescent moon at sunset sometimes tilted like a backwards "C", and sometimes flat on its back like a "U"?

Introduction: This is a tough question, and one that even the experts make mistakes on. First, the pointed parts of the crescent are sometimes referred to as the moon's "horns". Because the moon is just a big rock out in space, it doesn't glow like a star. So we only see the part that is lit up by the sun. Therefore, the crescent moon's "horns" will always be pointed away from the sun.

For more a complete answer, please click below:

Link: planetariumweb.madison.k12.wi.us...

Frankly, it makes sense to me. It's funny that I had never noticed it before but it's normal.

Hope it takes some worries out of other members that, like myself, thought this to be a phenomenon.

I will finish this post by saying that, as always, I could be wrong.

Discussion is open. What do YOU think?

edit on 16-2-2011 by SonoftheSun because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2011 by SonoftheSun because: grammar

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Only earlier today I came across a video on youtube that oddly enough seems to be a response another animation of "normal" lunar motion.

and you gotta love Von Helton.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Hey there quackers !

Thank you for jumping in!

I have watched a bit of the first video and stopped it. And here is the reason:

Youtube, presently, is overwhelmed with such videos. Problem is, none of them, as far as I know, are from any scientific facts. Just reporting. My point is that I could have made a video of what I saw, claiming it to be outrageously disturbing and start a fearmongering feast. Anyone can do that. The scientific community hasn't come out with any claims whatsoever about such claims. Are they hiding the truth? Perhaps.

The second vid, well, Von Helton, what can I say...I will avoid discussing his theories.
But I do watch his videos from time to time.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I agree, nice observation OP. When the moon is in front of my house its always like a U-shape with a shadow being on top (like the picture above) then a couple hours later when it's behind my house it's back to "normal" It think it's just where I'm located..

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by innervision0730
I agree, nice observation OP. When the moon is in front of my house its always like a U-shape with a shadow being on top (like the picture above) then a couple hours later when it's behind my house it's back to "normal" It think it's just where I'm located..

Precisely!

The animation clip shows it well.

Thank you for your response and kind words.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Not sure what to make of the first one to be honest. The second though does seem to relate to a rather interesting document (pdf) which may or may not be of some relevence here.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

From what I understand, it is a matter of where you are, and the moon being on the rise of the ecliptic plane, at the time of the observation. But as I said, I am not an astronomer, yet it would make sense.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Thanks. That PDF is very interesting and from a valid source presented at Cornell.

Link to PDF.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I don't believe what ANYBODY says these days...ALL, ALL, ALL can be corrupted or blackmailed....If someone says they are going to rape your wife and daughters then kill the rest of your family if you don't do/say what I tell you from now on, who is going to go against these people? You? I think not....Again, I tell you people, believe NO-ONE.....Look at things and see them for yourself......As far as the moon goes, I have never seen it like it is these nights in 58 yrs. So, to me, something is going on with the moon, earth and or sun....Everyone has an opinion, so live with it....
edit on 16-2-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

This has been discussed by Von Helton. But until other sources validate that this source from Italy is indeed accurate, I will withhold comments. Planet X ? Niburu? Tyche???

We'll see.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Thank you for your response. I agree with you that anyone can be corrupted, blackmailed or threatened. But there are thousands of astronomers out there. Would they all be in the same situation?

I don't know Caji. If this is the case, this would be a planetary phenomenon being covered up.

And I do respect your opinion.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
trust me there is nothing wrong with the moon ive just been out to have a look and here in the uk its nice and full and shining brightly, i have seen it look much bigger in the sky due to something called 'the Moon Illusion' and ive also seen it a brilliant blood red colour because as the earths atmosphere scatters the light coming from the sun, the longest wavelength of red colour passes through the atmosphere as it is, causing a red colored shadow on the moon. but there is no need for any panic! and just for the record IF there is any kind of pole shift in march i will run up my street naked except for one of my wifes thongs shouting im a little teapot, video it and post it here for all to see

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neilc1972
IF there is any kind of pole shift in march i will run up my street naked except for one of my wifes thongs shouting im a little teapot, video it and post it here for all to see

If there is a pole shift in march, no one will get to see your video. But I won't even touch the pole shift subject. I see that saying that the moon is normal might be taboo...

Thanks for your opinion and your comment made me laugh!!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
no probs mate you just cant take life too Seriously all the time
i tip my hat to you for doing a little research before jumping on the 'we are all doomed bandwagon'...if only all ats members adopted this method

edit on 16-2-2011 by Neilc1972 because: spelling and nipple clamps!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Not to worry. Niburu is utter nonsense and Sitchen was a quack. That does not mean there are not celestial bodies yet to be found though. I see this more along those lines and it's far more interesting than the pile of work I'm ignoring today.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
I see that saying that the moon is normal might be taboo...

Not only is the Moon normal for the Moon at this moment in time, everything in the entire Universe is normal for itself at this moment in time. Everything is in a constant state of change, which is normal.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Very true!

Most comments on fearmongering yt videos going against the popular idea that the moon tilted, or it's axis shifted, or it's becoming out of line, of it's affected by Niburu or Planet X and very recently Tyche seem to get ignored or subject for a heinous debate...which indicates some sort of a taboo.

Fearmongering is a great business I'm afraid.

Nice seeing you on this thread Blaine!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
welcome to this side of the fence, OP.

as your experience with ATS grows, you will find that these types of claims ("moon is not normal!") happen on a pretty regular basis. i suppose it cannot be helped.....not everyone knows these things. and i believe that the possibility exists that one day the moon really WILL be different.

sometimes, tho, i feel like reaching through the screen and slapping people.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Well, you would have slapped me a few days back !

It is one great thing about ATS. Denying ignorance is simply applying common sense or doing a little research on both sides of a presumption. Unbiased.

And honestly, I'm starting to get an aversion of all the fearmongering crap.

Thank you for coming in and sharing your view!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
If it means anything, I, being educated in astrophysics, can confirm that where the "horns" of the moon tilt is entirely dependent on where the moon is in relation to the sun, which, itself, depends on your location and, of course, on what date/time you observe the moon.

Honestly, even I looked at the moon a couple weeks ago and momentarily thought it was strange that it was pointing up, but then I thought about it for a second, and I quickly realized that it would only be weird if the horns of the moon didn't change their orientation, considering the relative motions of the moon, the sun, and me observing one being illuminated by the other. And, in response to those who say they've never seen the moon point up before, all I can say is, you weren't paying enough attention (how many times have you tried looking for something and not been able to find it even when it's right in front of your face?). It's been happening for billions of years now, and it will keep on happening right up until the world comes to an end...be that in March or in another 4.5 billion years.
edit on 16-2-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join