It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC publish information on a Solar CME the largest for over 4 years....heading this way.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

BBC publish information on a Solar CME the largest for over 4 years....ing this way.

www.bbc.co.uk

The Sun has unleashed its strongest flare in four years, observers say.

The eruption is a so-called X-flare, the strongest type; such flares can affect communications on Earth.

Nasa's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) spacecraft recorded an intense flash of extreme ultraviolet radiation emanating from a sunspot.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It seems there is information released in the last hour or so of this post (22.07 UK time) the Sun has unleashed a Mass Ejection which is on course to collide with Earths orbit path, in the few days.

The details on what to do in this situation aren't clear. They aren't sure of the damage it could cause, we know from previous large CMEs it can have major effect on electrical, satellites, power grids and so on. Recommend taking all your plugs out incase it blows them (from personal experience of a surge in the house a few years back) and if you don't have one, prepare a survival pack, with the likes of long life food and water.

Take cash from your bank accounts and prepare things you can barter with. Just in case of the worse....

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This has already been posted in multiple threads.

Please use the search function.

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by KristianTNA

It seems there is information released in the last hour or so of this post (22.07 UK time) the Sun has unleashed a Mass Ejection which is on course to collide with Earths orbit path, in the few days.

The details on what to do in this situation aren't clear. They aren't sure of the damage it could cause, we know from previous large CMEs it can have major effect on electrical, satellites, power grids and so on. Recommend taking all your plugs out incase it blows them (from personal experience of a surge in the house a few years back) and if you don't have one, prepare a survival pack, with the likes of long life food and water.

Take cash from your bank accounts and prepare things you can barter with. Just in case of the worse....

Well, this might be a bit of an overreaction.

The latest outpouring is no match for the X28+ monster recorded on 4 November 2003, and its effects will most probably manifest themselves in increased Northern Lights activity over the coming couple of days

The recommendation might be more like...take some cash out for gas money and snacks, then take a drive out into the country with your family, to enjoy the better-than-usual Northern Lights when the flare gets here.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Since my xbox didn't conk out 4 years ago, Im not too worried.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by KristianTNA

HERE is an animated movie depicting the geoeffectiveness of solar events from the University of Alaska's Geophysical Institute. In short, it depicts the solar wind and is based on data from "solar optical, X-ray and radio event reports".

You have to click start to animate.

What I'm seeing in the animation is a confirmation that the next few days should be pretty rough on the earth's magnetic field and auroral displays should better as we go into this weekend.

On the same website, they've also updated the auroral forecast to show tonite as "Active" (4 out of 9). Though if it does become active again in the next few days it's supposed to dip back down before doing so. Tomorrow is forecasted to be a 2 out of 9 (Low).

-ChriS

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

I did do a search beforehand, there were results showee only of prior CMEs and general chat on the subject. My apologies.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by KristianTNA

www.bbc.co.uk

you what now?

if we are really lucky we might get to see the aurora in uk/ireland.

things to barter with, jeez what the hell drugs are people been prescribed these days.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I've wanted to see the aurora for as long as I can remember, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled as I live on the north coast of Northern Ireland.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I am no expert at this but there was a third "spike" on the charts last night and it is way bigger than the previous two. Maybe someone with more knowledge can check it out.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

You are in the perfect spot. They are hoping for something tonite.

top topics

join