It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opting out of ATS private messages?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Cany any staff or members tell me whether it's possible to opt-out of ATS system messages? They keep appearing in my inbox then I get alerts above threads, that won't dissapear until I read or delete the message.

It's not a major issue, just mildly annoying. Mainly they're about 'Street View' or something else from 'ATS Admin'.

I figure if they're being sent by scripts, there's probably a function somewhere to prevent me receiving unimportant, or what I deem unimportant, messages.

Or just being able to turn off the pop over alert box that hovers over threads everytime I have unread messages, that'd do the trick

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

I guess the website controllers could do something like that, but baring in mind that they have alot of other responsibilities, I doubt that they are gonna want to use thier time to make a change to the way the site works, and apply that change to your account alone.
I mean, its not like its anything less than a minuites effort and mouse clicking to get rid of your unread messeges! Just read your mail!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I wasn't suggesting they manually did anything. I was asking whether there is a feature which allows me to opt-out of being PM'd.

They're two hugely different questions. I don't expect the Admin to call in the tech guy on my behalf

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Ah , sorry
. I had a look around on the messege section, and I personaly cannot find anything that might allow you to personaly opt out.
Again, I find it hard to figure why you would want to opt out. I often find the PM facility to be handy, although I can understand that recieving messeges almost exclusively from ATS street veiw can be annoying. The other reason that the PM system is handy, is that it allows users to be updated about changes to the site, missives from the owners or staff, and sometimes these things just need to be sent out for the benifit of all. Opting out of that, would probably be akin to opting out of recieving updates on alterations to the taxation system, ignorance of which can land a person in problems with the revenue service. In the same way, opting out of PMs would prevent you recieving updates on issues like terms and conditions, current attitudes towards user conduct, and so on and so forth.
Again, its like a minuites work to clear an inbox, and for all that you would miss out on, I just cant see the appeal of cutting yourself off from what I always felt was a pretty important tool here on ATS.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Ah , sorry
. I had a look around on the messege section, and I personaly cannot find anything that might allow you to personaly opt out.
Again, I find it hard to figure why you would want to opt out. I often find the PM facility to be handy, although I can understand that recieving messeges almost exclusively from ATS street veiw can be annoying. The other reason that the PM system is handy, is that it allows users to be updated about changes to the site, missives from the owners or staff, and sometimes these things just need to be sent out for the benifit of all. Opting out of that, would probably be akin to opting out of recieving updates on alterations to the taxation system, ignorance of which can land a person in problems with the revenue service. In the same way, opting out of PMs would prevent you recieving updates on issues like terms and conditions, current attitudes towards user conduct, and so on and so forth.
Again, its like a minuites work to clear an inbox, and for all that you would miss out on, I just cant see the appeal of cutting yourself off from what I always felt was a pretty important tool here on ATS.

I don't mind the messages themselves, I just don't like the pop over feature.

See I do this thing, and I'm not sure if anyone else does it, i'll go through the sections on the forum I like, and right click and open in a new tab any thread of interest. And do this for about 30-50 threads. And when I decide to start going through them, all of them have that annoying pop over.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
No, sorry. There's no option to opt out of PMs or disable the alert box for private messages.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Apparantly theres no opt out on PMs, or the pop up feature. You might want to consider altering your habits just a little, and just cleaning out your inbox before you start hunting down the intellectual nourishment that this site can provide!
Personaly , first thing I do when I log in, is go straight to the messege centre, get any random PM alerts from ATS either dealt with (in the case of administrator messeges, like missives from SkepticOverlord or any of the other top brass) and then get rid of the ATS street veiw alerts straight off the bat. That way the rest of my day is free of that little pop up.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Get a good work around.
Like use the ribbon and go to messages in another window while
closing the pop up and continue on the page going to messages
at another time.

new topics

top topics

join