It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

We're Experiencing 10,000 More Quakes Annually For The Past Decade...Here Is Proof The USGS Is Down

page: 1
6

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I was looking at charts for amount of earthquakes per year for past couple of decades and starting in 2000 the amount of earthquakes per year jumped about up by 10,000 (from 20,000 to 30,000) In 20009 just when it was climaxing (and still is) the USGS decides to start only reporting Earthquakes bigger than a 4.5 outside the U.S. creating significant gaps in the publics view of how the plates are moving. They effectively told the public they are going to stop displaying where an when 2/3's of the worlds yearly earthquakes happen without causing panic during the most active siesmic activity ever recorded...OK sure maybe budget cuts reduced thier workforce to where they can't post all the activity but I doubt it... Here Is The Scary Thing.... Since these magnitude of quakes they stopped reporting make up 2/3 of the worlds earthquake totals, how is it possible they're still reporting over 20,000 earthquakes a year??????? How many earthquakes are we really having a year??? Obviously far above average!! Sorry I dont know how to post pics and charts on ATS but heres links directly to charts
earthquake.usgs.gov...
www.infoplease.com...
theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...
the last 1 has a current visual display of the worlds earthquakes for 2011 Minus the 2/3 they stopped reporting...Imagine what the display would look like with 2/3 more earthquakes.... I live on the coast of the pacific plate south of the Cascadius Subduction Zone and that thought just scared the hell outta me...
edit on 16-2-2011 by ArieZ because: (no reason given)

What are your thoughts on this??are they covering it up with careful wordplay so they can say they weren't hiding anything??
edit on 16-2-2011 by ArieZ because: (no reason given)




posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ
 


you've made a neat observation based on what seems like pretty good research.

i wonder though...was the increase in seismicity the result of actual increased tectonic activity OR was it the result of more sensitive measurement techniques?

What do you think based on your research?




posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

edit on 2/16/2011 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
reply to post by ArieZ
 


you've made a neat observation based on what seems like pretty good research.

i wonder though...was the increase in seismicity the result of actual increased tectonic activity OR was it the result of more sensitive measurement techniques?

What do you think based on your research?



well personally I believe there's something causing major stress on every level of our planet and it's causing plates to begin shifting again..If it's Elenin or the Galactic Alighnment or Expanding Earth or our Sun I don't know but i dont think it's better equipment because if anything the better equipment would be used to detect smaller quakes and the USGS doesn't report them anymore and we're still having above average by the numbers without including the thousands they used to include



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ
 


That's how they count unemployment as well, only the people in the unemployment program are counted as unemployed, but you can only be in the unemployment program for so long. ahhhh. So many of the uncounted unemployeed are still unemployeed but just not counted.

btw I have the usgs app on my droid and the last recorded quake was 3.6 Central Alaska today and there is a 3 on here for yesterday in Northern California?? I just refresed it and it's current??



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ
 


I haven't seen any 2's reported lately which is odd because usually there are tons but there are many 3 to 3+'s on here



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54
 


I haven't heard about them but I dont doubt it thanks for the update.. they still report them on American soil thats why were hearing about the earthquake swarm on the New Madrid but they always reported those. Imagine the numbers if they still reported the rest of the worlds plate activity



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ
 


I agree it is a little strange I do look at this daily and to add, the app has been working intermitenly where it would update live before. hmm


Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I wouldn't of noticed otherwise
edit on 16-2-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Also on your unemployment comment I try telling People that around here an they dont believe it but its the truth without a doubt...Also where I live they don't report crimes that only affect the illegal immigrants because it would make the reported crime rate go through the roof!!1which means no Federal bonus for safe big city..the Gang War here is outta control but you don't hear about it anywhere



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ
 


More things I found, the app no longer sends updates if you want, when I was bored I would set it to ding when there was an earthquake and I could look at my phone and see where it was, no longer works. There is nothing below a 3 on here when I distintly remember this chart being filled with a majority of 1.0's - 2.9's.

Keep you eyes open, peace!

S&F



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Maybe they're trying a little "damage control".
A panicked public is a dangerously unpredictable thing.



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I have a great little add-on for Firefox, called e-quake. It puts the lastest earthquake in the right corner of every current page that you're on. I have mine set to (((shake))) whenever there's a quake of magnitude 5 or more and it shakes the entire page, but you can set that any way you like. Right now it reads M 3.6 Central Alaska.

edit on 16-2-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: grrrrrrr

edit on 16-2-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: ugh



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist
 


thats the conclusion I'm coming to...kinda like they're playing three card monte, they're distracting us with buisness as usual numbers but they're really changing things around without our notice so when we lose they can lift up the cup an say I didn't cheat you the ball is right there u just missed it.



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
I have a great little add-on for Firefox, called e-quake. It puts the lastest earthquake in the right corner of every current page that you're on. I have mine set to (((shake))) whenever there's a quake of magnitude 5 or more, but you can set that any way you like. Right now it reads M 3.6 Central Alaska.

edit on 16-2-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: grrrrrrr


thats awesome



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ
 


Just curious, did you intentionally ignore this statement in the link you provided?

As more and more seismographs are installed in the world, more earthquakes can be and have been located. However, the number of large earthquakes (magnitude 6.0 and greater) has stayed relatively constant


They then provide a link to this page further explaining your questions. Did you read it or immediately dismiss it as the USGS covering something up? Not trying to offend you or anything but it seems you're intentionally trying to find a conspiricay while ignoring the facts provided.

I believe the earthquakes won't get reported in the figures you are using unless they are located, not just just detected. To locate the quakes, they need to be picked up by multiple seismometers, not just one. Therefore, if you have more seismometers around the world with more sensitive sensing capabilites, you would expect an increase in quakes located, especially small ones. The majority of the increase in the quakes located have been in the lower magnitude ranges, which is exactly as you'd expect.

If we saw a distinct drop in minor seismic activity, I would be more worried. Small quakes are common and can help relieve pressure on fault lines, so it's really not something you'd need to cover up. The chance of a major earthquake is always present, but it doesn't mean there is some conspiracy going on. Unless there is something I am missing here?

It's great to ask questions, but you need to be willing to accept the answers, even if they're boring ones



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned
reply to post by ArieZ
 


Just curious, did you intentionally ignore this statement in the link you provided?

As more and more seismographs are installed in the world, more earthquakes can be and have been located. However, the number of large earthquakes (magnitude 6.0 and greater) has stayed relatively constant


They then provide a link to this page further explaining your questions. Did you read it or immediately dismiss it as the USGS covering something up? Not trying to offend you or anything but it seems you're intentionally trying to find a conspiricay while ignoring the facts provided.

I believe the earthquakes won't get reported in the figures you are using unless they are located, not just just detected. To locate the quakes, they need to be picked up by multiple seismometers, not just one. Therefore, if you have more seismometers around the world with more sensitive sensing capabilites, you would expect an increase in quakes located, especially small ones. The majority of the increase in the quakes located have been in the lower magnitude ranges, which is exactly as you'd expect.

If we saw a distinct drop in minor seismic activity, I would be more worried. Small quakes are common and can help relieve pressure on fault lines, so it's really not something you'd need to cover up. The chance of a major earthquake is always present, but it doesn't mean there is some conspiracy going on. Unless there is something I am missing here?

It's great to ask questions, but you need to be willing to accept the answers, even if they're boring ones


Ok well I kinda covered that a lil bit..what I was asking does anybody else think its a lil strange that they stopped reporting earthquakes less than 4.5 during largest seismic activity known.. As far as I know those are major precursors to events. Take the Arkansas earthquake swarm look at this link plz it posts hunreds of earthquakes in Arkansas in the last six months folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...
so if thats going on in say Iceland or something like that they don't feel the need to tell us anymore which i find strange. and lets say the whole world actually got along better and had money to spend to put in better technology. I doubt all that happened within 1 year which is how long it took to start registering 10,000 more a year...but then at the very peak of activity they stop posting the range where most earthquakes occur and the number per year barely drops??????... to me it seems like a way to keep the numbers in a reasonable range and not look to suspicious while doing it...thats just my take an thanks for your insight



posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArieZ
Ok well I kinda covered that a lil bit..what I was asking does anybody else think its a lil strange that they stopped reporting earthquakes less than 4.5 during largest seismic activity known.. As far as I know those are major precursors to events. Take the Arkansas earthquake swarm look at this link plz it posts hunreds of earthquakes in Arkansas in the last six months folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...
so if thats going on in say Iceland or something like that they don't feel the need to tell us anymore which i find strange.

I can see what you are getting at, and I am not sure why they would stop reporting small quakes in foreign countries, other than it meaning a significantly larger amount of data to process. But it's not as if USGS are the only place to monitor EQ activity. I'm no expert, but I have seen some posters on here monitoring many different sources for EQ information. For example, here in New Zealand, I would go to geonet.co.nz to find information on NZ earthquakes, such as the 7.1 and subsequent aftershocks near Christchurch last year. I have seen some posters monitoring Iceland in real time, so it's not as if the information is being censored by USGS. If geologists were concerned that the numbers USGS were providing were misleading, they could still compile a list from other sources to show it, although it would take considerable time to gather the data.

But thanks to you I have looked into some of the infomation regarding the Arkansas quakes. It is interesting to see the theories on these quakes, namely the possibility that these are "man-made" quakes (fracking
). Maybe it's these types of quakes that you think USGS would want to conceal? I haven't looked into it enough to be knowledgable on the subject, but I will follow it with interest. Cheers.




top topics



 
6

log in

join