It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just 41% of Americans favor cuts to defense spending, poll finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Just 41% of Americans favor cuts to defense spending, poll finds

www.rawstory.com

The survey measured Americans' tolerance for spending cuts in 20 areas. A majority approved of cuts in only six of those areas.

Foreign economic aid topped the list at 75 percent, followed by foreign military aid, spending by regulatory agencies and space programs. A majority also favored cutting subsidies to business and federal welfare spending.

At 11 percent, Social Security payments was the least popular item to cut. Only 24 percent were in favor of cutting health care. Cutting federal aid to education, revenue sharing with states and cities, federal highway financing and federal jo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
As with all polls, obviously one must remain somewhat skeptical to WHOM is making up the poll itself, whom constitutes the audience polled, and as to whether there may or may not be an agenda involved.

But I do think the title of this news article may be a little misleading, as the story itself says the HIGHEST stats of acceptable cuts folks condone are to FOREIGN miltary conquests and aid, which I WOULD say the vast majority of americans recognize is GUTTING this nation.

Pleaseview the stats and weigh in here people. Taking this poll at face value, does it appear to be an accurate view of the vast majority of the populace?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I don't trust polls and especially when they don't show the targeted voters or numbers..

It's also good to see the exact questions asked..

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

You always hear about these "polls of Americans" but why have I have been polled and neither has anyone I've ever know? I think this # is just made up...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

This is a TOTAL SHAM statistically. I looked at the actual poll and they make this little disclaimer: "no estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated."

i.e. This is NOT a scientific study it is pure propoganda.

Let me break down there methidology further:

They only use 2566 people to project for all 308,745,538 US citizens.

Even worse they WEIGHT their results... i.e. they decide which results they like better and make it count more than others.

There are many other biases that are in this poll and you can read them here:

Methodology

This Harris Poll was conducted online within the United States between January 17 to 24, 2011 among 2,566 adults (aged 18 and over). Figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents' propensity to be online.

All sample surveys and polls, whether or not they use probability sampling, are subject to multiple sources of error which are most often not possible to quantify or estimate, including sampling error, coverage error, error associated with nonresponse, error associated with question wording and response options, and post-survey weighting and adjustments. Therefore, Harris Interactive avoids the words "margin of error" as they are misleading. All that can be calculated are different possible sampling errors with different probabilities for pure, unweighted, random samples with 100% response rates. These are only theoretical because no published polls come close to this ideal.

Respondents for this survey were selected from among those who have agreed to participate in Harris Interactive surveys. The data have been weighted to reflect the composition of the adult population. Because the sample is based on those who agreed to participate in the Harris Interactive panel, no estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.

source

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I read an article the other day that broke down Obama's new budget, and the three biggest spending items were 1) Medicaid/Medicare (1.1 Trillion), 2) Social Security (over 800 Billion), and 3) the Military (over 750 Billion).

You know, the next closest country in defense spending is China. They spend about 100 Billion. That's right folks, we spend SEVEN times more money than the next country. You know, if you COMBINE the next TWENTY countries' defense budgets, you still don't get to where we are in defense spending. It is ludicrous.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
our economy is not in the shambles its in because of social programs. it's in the shambles it's in because of ever increasing tax rates due to too many social programs. we have over 300 different 3 letter agencies strictly for dealing with espionage type activity. we have hella imbalance in imports/exports. on purpose. because our gov is using our busniesses, companies and other resources like a carrot to get other nations on board the democratic train ride. we're being asked now, to allow them to continue this gutting of everything we've worked for, our combined labor, entrepreneurship, creativity and ingenuity, while also renigging on their promises to their citizens, like social security and military pensions.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Ron Paul has been making the rounds since his CPAC win and has made a point of highlighting the differences between defense and militarism. I read the article and I cant find the specific methodology with regards to the actual questions.

As Ron Paul says, we all want a strong national defense, but the US's imperialism does not belong in the category of "defense spending". The trillion dollars a year spent on a global military empire has nothing to do with defense unless you are referring to the defense of investments made by billionaires and their multi national corporations.

top topics

join