It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA deregulates GMO corn engineered to produce fuel, not food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
(NaturalNews) – Right on the heels of the USDA’s decision to deregulate GM alfalfa (www.naturalnews.com...…), the U.S. Department of Agriculture has now decided to completely deregulate genetically engineered corn used for ethanol production. This is just the latest Frankenfood horror unleashed by USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack, who has firmly established himself as the regulatory puppet of Monsanto and other GMO giants.
The public spin on this decision is that it will allow the growing of corn engineered to produce more ethanol fuel, thereby improving the efficiency in the conversion of corn to fuel. This claim is, of course, scientifically invalid on so many levels that it’s difficult to know where to begin. But I’ll take a shot at it…

Remember when we used to actually EAT corn?
For starters, in a world where food prices are rapidly rising, where crops are failing due to radical weather events, and where food stockpiles are at their lowest levels in many decades, the idea of converting food to fuel is utterly ludicrous. Making matters even worse, there’s the simple fact that the ethanol advocates simply refuse to admit: Growing corn for fuel consumes more fuel than it produces!
The whole corn-for-ethanol debacle is simply another government-run agricultural cluster shuck involving the wasting of billions of taxpayer dollars which disappear into the black hole of subsidies handed out to corn growers. The whole thing smacks of economic insanity combined with an almost alien view of the natural world. To look upon an acre of corn and think that it’s supposed to be burned in combustion engines rather than consumed as nutrition represents a whole new level of mental illness — an illness which has infected the minds of regulators and lawmakers. (Is there a vaccine shot to prevent it yet?)

Beyond that, the claim that this corn-to-fuel effort is now the justification for unleashing genetically contaminated GE corn across North America is not just bad thinking; it’s dangerously bad thinking from people who should know better.

The end of agricultural genetic integrity
Because you know what happens next? With GE corn being planted everywhere, the wind will cross-contaminate regular corn crops, resulting in widespread genetic pollution of the corn grown in America. This, in turn, will result in America’s corn being refused for importation by other nations which don’t want to poison their people with genetically altered corn (unlike the U.S. government).

It will damage the entire U.S. corn industry, in other words, and further devastate U.S. farmers who are already squeezed by freak weather events.

“The USDA’s decision defies common sense,” said Margaret Mellon, director of the Union of Concerned Scientists Food and Environment Program. “There is no way to protect food corn crops from contamination by ethanol corn. Even with the most stringent precautions, the wind will blow and standards will slip. In this case, there are no required precautions.”

Over at the Center for Food Safety, science policy analyst Bill Freese wrote, “Syngenta’s biofuels corn will inevitably contaminate food-grade corn, and could well trigger substantial rejection in our corn export markets, hurting farmers.” (www.foodsafetynews.com...…)

An article at Truth-Out.org reveals some of the possible under-the-table financial links that may be behind this decision to deregulate GE corn: www.truth-out.org...

The Alliance for Natural Health has also posted a very good summary on this situation. It’s a great read: www.anh-usa.org...

Our corn supply is being stalked by Monsanto
So what does it all mean? It means that between the GE corn, GE sugar beets, GE alfalfa, cotton, soy and other ingredients, we are living in a grand, dangerous experiment of playing God with seeds.

I’ve said this before: It’s almost as if people like Tom Vilsack (and other Monsanto minions) are just begging Mother Nature to wipe out human civilization and start over. Here, everybody! Let’s turn our food crops into pesticide absorbers, then feed them to cows and people!

It’s all being done for corporate profits, of course. Because that’s all it takes to compromise the future of life on our planet: Just another buck on the bottom line.

That’s all it takes at the USDA, too: Just another promise of a sweet, cushy job in the corn industry after you’ve left the agency. Bend enough rules in favor of Big Ag, and you can name your salary a few years down the road. Because if there’s a kernel of truth to be found in any of this, it’s that corporations — and regulators — will operate with outrageous disregard for the integrity of the natural world.

By the way, this decision was made under the guise of “science.” All the lies now being repeated about the safety of genetically engineered crops are being bolstered by the laughable claim that they are “scientific” and that anyone who opposes GMOs is, by default, “unscientific.”

Read more about that in my article, “Unscientific” is secret code for anyone who opposes GMOs or pesticides (www.naturalnews.com...…).

While you’re at it, be sure to visit the Institute for Responsible Technology (www.ResponsibleTechnology.org) where you can learn more about GMOs from Jeffrey Smith, who is also a featured contributing writer here on NaturalNews.

If you’re up for some educational entertainment, check out my popular hip hop song, “Just Say No to GMOs” www.naturalnews.com...

Source: Natural News

I personally believe corn is a major american staple used to feed us from eating the corn itself to using it in many of the other foods we eat, tortillas, additives for foods, oil and other reasons. I also know when the ethonol craze first occured in the early 2000`s most farmers converted to this fuel corn. Using anything that contaminates our crops I was under the belief was against the fdcas policies and regulations. Then to think about the farmers whos other then corn crops is loosing out to the demand of this corm, will turn morre and more corn crops not good not good more
edit on 16-2-2011 by prexparte because: added words that were missing

edit on 16-2-2011 by prexparte because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
When you really look into this you find a very horrible truth. GMO is a eugenics ploy to bring about depopulation. The only true goal is to sterilize us.

It is so sinister that the immediate reaction is for the mind to slam shut and disbelieve this statement. But I challenge anyone to really look deeply into GMOs and come to any other rational conclusion.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
When you really look into this you find a very horrible truth. GMO is a eugenics ploy to bring about depopulation. The only true goal is to sterilize us.

It is so sinister that the immediate reaction is for the mind to slam shut and disbelieve this statement. But I challenge anyone to really look deeply into GMOs and come to any other rational conclusion.

I thought it seemed very sinister also, and are quite alarmed at what they are about to further do to our foods.
Seems like they are trying every sneaky step to get to us without us finding out. But thankfully with interent adn word of mouth people are learning and waking up.
clean the government-congress-senate-house-president. new minds new ideas.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Happy times...I wonder how they think the seeds will just be contained within special fields and not cross with other non-gene-modified species. Short term thinking at its best, what a bunch of fools.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
nice thread....very well thought out, and very true.

two things......are TPTB eating all this franken-food?

secondly....my favorite line was "kernel of truth"

......yeah starving people everywhere, and they turn corn into fuel, AND 600,000 tons a year into high fructose corn syrup...so cola makers can save 1 penny per can.

Insanity

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Monsanto's own employees refuse to eat it....

example link

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
I wonder how they think the seeds will just be contained within special fields and not cross with other non-gene-modified species.

Quite simply... they don't, nor do they want it contained.

Monsanto (among a few others) are likely foaming at the mouth for cross pollination to occur, and there's no way to stop it since corn is pollinated by the wind. Monsanto has a history of aggressively suing small farms, who've fallen victim to GMO cross pollination, for unlawfully growing Monsanto's patented products. They've already won such cases so the legal precedent is in Monsanto's favor. This deregulation is a cash cow beyond their wildest dreams.

It was already rough for small, organic, and/or family owned farms; however, this action is the final nail in their respective coffins. From here on in the choice will soon be narrowed down to using Monsanto products, or bankruptcy through lawsuits.
edit on 2/17/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Perhaps you could u2u a mod to have this moved to a more fitting forum such as Fragile Earth, News, Current Events, etc.

Political Madness is more for those caught up in bickering over their false left/right paradigm, where this should be more of a valid concern for all. I'd also hate to see such an important topic get overlooked by a large portion of the members who specifically filter out this forum from their ATS interface to avoid such bickering.

In this forum the "right" won't touch it because it shows the darker side of deregulation (deregulation is something praised by most 'conservatives'), and the "left" won't touch it because it was a Democrat who is the USDA Secretary that approved this nonsense. Since neither side can rationally spin it as a tool to bash the other, it will likely just wallow here and be largely overlooked/ignored.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Why do you think that Seed Banks have been created by the scientists and governments of the world. The one that comes to mind is the one, I believe it is in Norway ...deep inside a mountain where it can protect all usable seeds in case of a situation where the food of the world has been destroyed.

This contamination of our food source is planned...the seed banks are there for the elite/survivors so they can regrow eatable food after they "cull the herd".

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
Perhaps you could u2u a mod to have this moved to a more fitting forum such as Fragile Earth, News, Current Events, etc.

Political Madness is more for those caught up in bickering over their false left/right paradigm, where this should be more of a valid concern for all. I'd also hate to see such an important topic get overlooked by a large portion of the members who specifically filter out this forum from their ATS interface to avoid such bickering.

In this forum the "right" won't touch it because it shows the darker side of deregulation (deregulation is something praised by most 'conservatives'), and the "left" won't touch it because it was a Democrat who is the USDA Secretary that approved this nonsense. Since neither side can rationally spin it as a tool to bash the other, it will likely just wallow here and be largely overlooked/ignored.

Thank you for the advice on moving this room. Before I put it up I u2u the MOD and asked where I should place it, he gave me 3 examples I picked this one..

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage

I can always post it in another thread

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Happy times...I wonder how they think the seeds will just be contained within special fields and not cross with other non-gene-modified species. Short term thinking at its best, what a bunch of fools.

Corn is wind blown pollination, of course you get cross breeding. Then a few years later Pinkerton agents trespass on the neighboring farmers field gather evidence there WAS cross breeding and threaten to sue the crap out of all the neighboring farmers.

Monsanto/GMO is a cancer and just about as deadly.

...But seed-saving also cuts Monsanto out of the picture, and the company has gone to great lengths to stamp it out. It requires that any farmer who buys Roundup Ready seeds sign a contract saying that the seeds wont be saved. Anyone caught saving seed, the contract goes on to stipulate, must pay a royalty fee and open their farm to inspection for the next five years. Because the international patent for Roundup expired in 1991, and the US patent expired in 2000, the contract also stipulates that farmers using Roundup Ready will only use Roundup herbicide, not the less-expensive—and completely legal—generic brands.

In the United States and Canada, the company has enforced this agreement by hiring Pinkerton Detectives to raid farms, mailing letters to farmers that encourage them to turn in seed-saving neighbors, and prosecuting over 500 alleged seed pirates in court. Detectives and stool pigeons have a limited efficacy, however; functional as they are in America, in other countries, and particular in the developing world, such police actions are much harder to carry out.... www.freezerbox.com...

What is really frightening is as that article stated the USDA not only collected the "terminator gene from India (stole it) but the USDA spent about $229,000 developing the patent now owned by Monsanto.

If that is not enough Epicyte developed its spermicidal GMO corn with research funds from the US Department of Agriculture.

We really need to get rid of the traitors in the District of Criminals and I do not mean switching from flavor A to flavor b each election.

When I read stuff like this I think of Madam Guillotine....

new topics

top topics

join