It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calories On Menus Doesn't Seem To Help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
All it does is impose extra costs on businesses, and make the statist do-gooders feel like they accomplished something. The kids don't care, the parents don't care.

Requiring fast-food restaurants in New York City to post calorie counts on menus did little to cut the number of calories children and teens consumed, U.S. researchers said on Tuesday.

And I wonder what he means by this:

"It means we're going to have to rethink what other sorts of interventions might be more effective," Dr. Brian Elbel of NYU, who led the study, said in a telephone interview.

Interventions? He couldn't possibly mean more government regulation, could he? If they were really concerned with our health, they'd eliminate the FDA, the USDA, and stop subsidizing corporations that want to force genetically modified garbarge down our throats. These petty regulations are exercises in futility.

Full Article

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Heres a good idea..Why not just shut down the fast food chains, As they are all responsible for the obesity epidemic..Now theres a idea.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Leaving the governmental overtones alone for a second...

I personally have only watched calories once in my life. I decided to 'count' them for about a week.

I, personally, eat basically what I want to eat at any given time without regard to the number of calories in a said dish, whether it be from McDonalds, a top end restaurant in the city or Sunday dinner with the family. To me there are more important aspects to a meal outside of the number of calories one may consume, and sometimes that just happens to be how good it is going to taste

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

My Suggestion is that Everyone eats Either Dust Or Celery, Both Contain no calories Allthough i would prefer the latter then again some people do Really hate celery....

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
Leaving the governmental overtones alone for a second...

I personally have only watched calories once in my life. I decided to 'count' them for about a week.

I, personally, eat basically what I want to eat at any given time without regard to the number of calories in a said dish, whether it be from McDonalds, a top end restaurant in the city or Sunday dinner with the family. To me there are more important aspects to a meal outside of the number of calories one may consume, and sometimes that just happens to be how good it is going to taste

Thats part of the problem today..people make food too personal. Food is Food, it is not a experience or a luxury.. That being said, You are what You eat.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Thats part of the problem today..people make food too personal. Food is Food, it is not a experience or a luxury.. That being said, You are what You eat.

Being a baker, its hard to enjoy a nice whipped frosting on a cake when all you see is sugar and fat (in fact thats the recipe). But being what I eat I guess today I am General's Tso! Can we move this thread to the reincarnation thread now

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Being a baker, its hard to enjoy a nice whipped frosting on a cake when all you see is sugar and fat (in fact thats the recipe). But being what I eat I guess today I am General's Tso! Can we move this thread to the reincarnation thread now
Well hello General! nice to meet you..

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

No, its up to every individual to show self discipline and for parents to teach their kids the right things to eat and not take them to fast food restaurants. Why do we always look for someone else to blame or to control our lives? No-one forces food down our throat, and in todays society everyone should be educated enough to know what food is bad for us and what is healthy.

If we take responsibility for our own actions and accept the consequences instead of demanding the government solve our own problems we would probably be a lot happier.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It was never going to help anything.

The surgeon general's tobacco warning didnt stop anyone from smoking. The only thing that has any measurable affect is the incredibly high cost of cigarettes. Even then the measurable affect has been on other goods as people are opting to buy cigarettes over other goods.

You cant legislate against stupidity and bad behavior. You cant do it. If we passed a law banning the government from behaving wastefully it wouldnt change anything government does.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Calories On Menus Doesn't Seem To Help
It's like those people who try to drink "diet" cola so they gain less weight. It's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard of. The calories are burnt up depending on the amount of consumption and your metabolism. The only thing diet coke offers is poisonous sweeteners, so really diet cola is a hell of a lot worse for your body ppl. I could sit here eating loads of fatty food all day and not get fat, it's just how my body works. My doctor says I need to eat fatty food such as full cream milk and real butter.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Its the "I want it now generation" how many times do you see someone in the shopping

mall eating burger and chips on the hoof? (probabaly more calories than a meal !) then they

get home and probally have a a meal with the family. These fast foods have the same or

more calorific value as a meal, but are considered only a SNACK

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Calorie counting is a load of pointless poop anyway! I've tried it and it doesn't work. People who calorie count as a means of losing weight are still eating crap packed full of high fructose corn syrup, sugar, artificial stuff, aspartame, monosodium glutamate etc - these things in food lead people to gain weight in the first place.

I cut all that crap out of my diet and lost 3 stone. I could still eat plates of food the size of mountains and lose weight! I didn't have hunger pangs like you get when you're calorie counting, because it's the addictive crap in the food that causes the hunger pangs in the first place.

If they really wanted to help people out, they'd stop adding this crap to their food!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Ni hao!

...back on topic...

Perhaps my indifference to caloric intake has to do with the fact that neither I nor any member of my immediate family has every has a serious weight problem. Cholesterol, yes, but not weight. I will admit that I have seen great successes in calorie counting and I am not discouraging the practice, I just dont use it myself...
because Confucious has never said so.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by KatieVA

Bingo! You have nailed it. Unfortunately we live in a number-obsessed society and people seem to think that everything needs to be reduced to numbers to be 'scientific'. Just look at any sport competition (especially in the US, man you guys are OCD with numbers) and numbers come up all over the place - this stat, that stat blah blah blah. Its the same with food and exercise, people focus on the wrong thing - number counting, rather than the quality of what they eat or how they work out.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3finjo
reply to post by KatieVA

Its the same with food and exercise, people focus on the wrong thing - number counting, rather than the quality of what they eat or how they work out.

That's why it wouldn't surprise me if one of the "interventions" alluded to in the article ends up being a statute that requires you to purchase a gym membership and work out "at least 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week".

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I like the idea of calories on the menus. I'm an obsessive calorie counter and if I'm in a hurry or on a road trip I want to know what the least worst thing is. Also if you see the big number maybe then people will realize the garbage they are putting in their bodies.

They know its bad but solid THIS IS BAD would maybe help.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3finjo

No, its up to every individual to show self discipline and for parents to teach their kids the right things to eat and not take them to fast food restaurants. Why do we always look for someone else to blame or to control our lives? No-one forces food down our throat, and in todays society everyone should be educated enough to know what food is bad for us and what is healthy.

If we take responsibility for our own actions and accept the consequences instead of demanding the government solve our own problems we would probably be a lot happier.

But the problem with today's society is people just don't care..So eliminate the problem.. Means no more problem anymore..It's very simple

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Heres a good idea..Why not just shut down the fast food chains, As they are all responsible for the obesity epidemic..Now theres a idea.

Yes. Fast food is responsible for obesity around the world in isolated tribes .....

Is fast food contributing to, or largely responsible for, the rise in obesity in America? Absolutely. Is it the cause? No. All it takes is a look back in history...way back when fast food didn't exist. Say...the early 20th century?

That being said, You are what You eat.

You are what your body does with what you eat.

edit on 17-2-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
The only thing diet coke offers is poisonous sweeteners, so really diet cola is a hell of a lot worse for your body ppl.

Toxicity is dependent upon dose. And anyone who openly claims diet cola is more dangerous than original cola is severely mistaken. The ill effects of fructose/sucrose in sodas are very well documented and the mechanisms by which they act are as well. The effects of aspartame, in low doses and consumed moderately, are not completely understood, as the research just isn't adequate and results are consistently inconsistent. Plus, the method by which aspartame causes these "side-effects" are at this point unknown.

I could sit here eating loads of fatty food all day and not get fat, it's just how my body works. My doctor says I need to eat fatty food such as full cream milk and real butter.

Hint: Maybe fatty foods aren't so bad?????

Fact: Dietary fat, from natural sources, doesn't make you fat.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
To address the OP...

Regardless of whether caloric content labels are working, calorie counting doesn't work. We count calories, generally, to maintain a negative caloric balance...which has been shown, almost conclusively, to not be an effective fat loss tool in the long term. It's why diets don't work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join