It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If spending cuts kill jobs, "so be it": Boehner

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

If spending cuts kill jobs, "so be it": Boehner

www.rawstory.com

"Where are the jobs?" was an oft-repeated slogan by Boehner during the 2010 midterm election cycle, as he and his colleagues attacked Democrats' stimulus and other spending programs.

But Boehner's remarks not only reveal that Republicans accept those two goals may be contradictory, they suggest that the GOP considers spending cuts a higher priority.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well, after running on "where are the jobs" we now see where the republican party's concerns really lie. It's apparent that their concern that their own taxes might have to be raised overrides their concern for job growth.

They don't care if you have a job. They are worried that our national debt will cause a populous uprising where people wake up and demand that taxes on the ultra rich be raised to help balance it.

According to their theory, all you have to do is to give the money to the private sector and jobs will be created. Problem is, that we give them the tax break they ask for and in turn, they sit on the money, 2.8 trillion last I heard.

At least those jobs created by the government were actual jobs and not some pipe dream. The people who get those jobs will pay taxes which is better than I can say for corporations.

In essence, we are sacrificing jobs and infrastructure improvements in order to perpetuate tax breaks for the rich while the only jobs they create with their money are in China or Mexico. That's what I call "Real Americans."

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Now we just know he would be signing a whole different tune if those jobs were in the defense or military arena or anything to do with the MIC, wouldn't he? Can't touch those jobs. They're sacred.

Freaking hypocrites.
edit on 2/16/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Aimee: They are taking what he said out of context. He was speaking about how the government has grown over the last 2 years and how if spending cuts impact government jobs, well, then so be it. I agree. Government is out of control and with obamacare expected to grow even more.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
DON'T FALL FOR THEIR LIES!!

They are just doing this to shut us up, to say "Hey look, see what you made us do? If we cut spending people will suffer"

But, that's not true! They could cut spending in more efficient ways than trying to be harsh like this.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by aimlessly
Aimee: They are taking what he said out of context. He was speaking about how the government has grown over the last 2 years and how if spending cuts impact government jobs, well, then so be it. I agree. Government is out of control and with obamacare expected to grow even more.

So you are OK with government workers being laid off, but not OK if it was you being laid off? Very telling. You would think that nobody would be in favor of anyone losing their jobs, but I guess you don't mind at all.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I personally think if it was their jobs on the line, they wouldn't have that same attitude.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Why don't we start with making cuts with he and his 2 party mafia's salaries?

While I will be the FIRST person to agree that Big brother needs to stop its endless, spin-thrift bonanzas, I think we should first start by taking all of the money we are sending OUT of the country on foreign idiocies, and actually use SOME of that to invest in CREATING jobs here domestically, instead of CUTTING more jobs here, and continuing on with the foreign lottery of give-aways to everyone else.

But I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears of the Orange boner.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
One must know which 'spending' will be cut, in order to find out if it had been 'worth' the cut as boner puts it.

If it is on military, a large majority of them are youths, and they will be able to find jobs in different industries, less the pay scale and of course, the heartaches and blood sacrifices.

If it is on education, educators will be forced out on the streets, which will benefit industries as well, but then, the room at the top is limited. Many will compete with the uneducated for jobs unless they with their knowledge take high risks and go into entreprenuerships.

If it is on job creation such as infrastructure, it would mean a direct threat to companies that hires american workers. They will be out of work. And needed infrastructure improvments go into disrepair, reducing usuage and economic flow.

With no jobs, there will be no money circulating in the economy. With no money circulating, many other biz will close. Mom and pop shops servicing retail services will die, and suddenly, millions jobless.

'So be it'? Who died and made this bonehead boner king? or speaker for the republican majority????
edit on 16-2-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

They are just doing this to shut us up, to say "Hey look, see what you made us do? If we cut spending people will suffer"

But, that's not true! They could cut spending in more efficient ways than trying to be harsh like this.

I quite agree. I would cut foreign aid, including Israel. Evacuate Afghanistan and just use drones to battle the Taliban. Hi tech and innovation right there.

As to federal employees, they could have put them on half time or something else. Losing your job entirely in current times is like a death sentence to a family.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

If Repubs (or Dems, for that matter) were serious about jobs, they would have made it illegal to operate call centers, accounting offices and even law offices abroad, for American firms serving American customers. Problem solved. Sure, a few execs will miss their payments on new luxury yachts, I'm not losing sleep over that.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I agree with you completely. How many nuclear submarines costing between 7.2 and 13 billion each do we really need to meet the current global threat? www.bloomberg.com...

Do we really need military bases and troops scattered across the globe protecting other nations who should be protecting themselves? I mean, is this what we have to look forward to in post war Afghanistan and Iraq? Never ending expenditures to protect the borders of foreign nations? Should we be giving tax breaks to corporations that outsource their jobs overseas starving our own tax base at home in the process?

There are definitely better ways to reduce our debt than to make the poor, poorer.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

"In the last two years, under President Obama, the federal government has added 200,000 new federal jobs. If some of those jobs are lost so be it. We're broke," Boehner told reporters

It is clear that the statement was takin out of context. He isnt specifically identifying private sector jobs as expendable, but suggesting that the big government jobs may need to be eradicated. It would appear that many of the posters on this thread, only took what they wanted from the article and ran with it. Clearly, as seen above, one can easily conclude that his statement is regards to big gov.t. In my opinion, it would seem that he is addressing that the government is grown to large, and possibly suggesting that the reduction in gov.t jobs is a good thing.

Further, some on this thread are complaining about the Republican party are suggesting spending....but on the contrary from the article:

Republicans have proposed a slew of budget cuts worth $32 billion to a multitude of federal programs.

Which would further suggest the reduction in big Government. Keep trying you illiterate political people....keep trying~

edit on 16-2-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

That's cute political talk, but he understands that there are around 2 million Federal employees and they vote also.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

I'm not sure if you have noticed or not...but it is everyday common American citizens that work these "government" jobs. And they aren't the jobs that are paying millions or 100k+...they are the low paying wage earners that just so happen to get their check from the government.

Those people will be unemployed...because there are no private sector jobs to run to.

Amazing how people seem to be ok with people losing thier jobs...because they work for the government.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
They will play (as will he) with all sorts of comments and observations; never once acknowledging the BIG parasites are where our economy is failing.....

Defense - Military Industrial Complex demands...
Medicare/Medicaid - Healthcare Industry demands....
Social Security - Investment Industry demands...
Foreign Aid - "Loyalty" demands......

Let's face it, they (the media and the political celebrities) will now begin the process of indoctrinating the public into believing that the social safety net is the problem, when the real problem is the slobbering industrial and institutional monsters who funnel American wealth into their pockets like it was meant to be theirs in the first place.

Now it will be the millions we give to heat poor peoples homes, the millions we use to help the underprivileged and disenfranchised, and the billions we spend to educate and maintain our population.

Meanwhile trillions for 'defense' billions for 'other countries' billions for underpaid - overworked medical corporations, trillions for new financial vehicles for the investment industry....

This is sickening....

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

I quite agree. I would cut foreign aid, including Israel. Evacuate Afghanistan and just use drones to battle the Taliban. Hi tech and innovation right there.

As to federal employees, they could have put them on half time or something else. Losing your job entirely in current times is like a death sentence to a family.

Considering that the US/UK corporations and banks are the ones who have destroyed teh world and impoverished billions, and are also behind their corrupt mafia leaders who sell the peoples assets (in short their collectivity, services and resources) to the highest bidders: CUTTING FOREIGN AID IS NOT OK.

Redistributing in a wonderful new Venus project only run grass roots by the citizens with no bankers and elite is a little more like it, in fact unless we start to do this, we're going to end this CYCLE very poorly.

Its an interactive school, it takes reaching the next level of LOVE to pass the tests. We draw in the frequency of what we're doing, or allowing done. We grow our consciousness or diminish it by allowing this.

We have to become the eutopia and light beings we wish to become HERE AND NOW, or strive for that.

Its not aid that needs to be cut. Nor do we want drones or mechanical slayings of citizens or their fighters who only think they're fighting for goodness themselves.

Wars and Starvation are the two big traps here.

What needs to be done is to get of the bankers and this corrupt system.

However, in the short run, small businesses, buying and selling from each ohter would create a good economy. Also, those who give, recieve so local counsels discussing how to solve problems and creating eco farms for the poor and learning how to replace the leaders would only be a good thing too. We can practice being the leaders ourselves that way, and realize we don't need this corruption.

Some of those businesses we need to get going would be media, alternative newspapers in print, free press. Also, know that all their corrupt laws aren't worth the ink they're written with and people need to insist they're replaced and overturned. Come up with better ones in those counsels.

But small business and educational funding is a real plus. Small businesses only add to the economy.

Plugging the loopholes and demanding that overseas incentives to exploit the slave labor and child labor of other nations, those corrupt laws, also need to change so that healthy taxes are paid by successful produceres or corporations. Not only that, but we need to only put our money into products from companies that: don't support Monsanto, or GMO, don't support child labor, who pay good wages, that do profit sharing amongst their employees, that work actively to overturn copyright and patent laws, that work actively to end drug laws and drug company beneifts and work actively for dicslosure, to end poverty, to end corruption in this world, to redistribute.

in short, we should be only buying from those who are wonderful decent idealistic people who don't put on little tinsel displays of good will that are lies but tireless work to promote a wonderful world FOR REAL, THE REAL DEAL. And we need to stop being lazy and accept the little buy offs and really do the homework.

And we need to promote this and share this everywhere. Our towns and regions adopting poor towns and regions in the world and setting up eco villages and wells, heritage seed, food, and free energy generators everywhere.

its up to us. We have a lot more power than we think. If there are no Good corporations to spend our dollars in, i suggest we go one step further. Pass the hat locally and set up our own small buisnesses to replace all teh necessities that we think we need. And not spend any dollars on their evil corporations.

In addition, we could change the currency ourselves. Ie. eveyr town could run some businesses where able bodied shared the work, ie. an hour a week or so, to remit their dollars for property taxes, you know so they can't forclose kind of thing.

But for all the new successful businesses, if those guys don't want to cave in and leave, then we simply change the currency and deal amongst ourselvse the new wealth we would generate from buying only needed things from ourselves and boycottting them.

They would go under!

edit on 16-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I joined a conspiracy site. Thread upon thread is about government this and government that.
Contrails.
Area 51.
9/11.
et al.
Yet, I see people hyperventilate when someone ACTUALLY wants to cut government.

Which is it, people? Do you want bigger government with it's flouride and contrails and NSA and UFO's and Nirubu and talking about sheeple and RFID chips and . . . . ad nuseum.

Or do you want smaller government?
Less control.
More freedom.

To quote a friend of mine, Bill Shakespeare, "Methinks you doth protest too much."

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Let's be completely honest: Boehner said those words in context of the potential loss of FEDERAL jobs -- the payroll of which has reportedly grown over 200k just since Obama took office. Viewed in that context, it still might be blunt, but it is a truth. If you want to cut federal spending, there must be a commensurate negative impact on the federal payroll. I don't like Boehner at all (I think he is unstable and a fraud, like most of his peers and he is trying to seak $450M of pork into the budget for his district), but you telling half truths is just as bad.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Besides the fact that both political parties are idiots, and have no idea about the foreign policy much less the monetary policy, one of the major travesties on this country was the implementation of the " Executive orders". Both parties have allowed the POTUS to exercise powers that the framers of the Constitution thought they had deprived him. It started with President Truman, when he used the United nations as his basis of " congressional consent" , to take us to the Korean war. Point being, since both parties have been contemptuous of the Constitution's allocation of powers, between the Congress and the President, neither of which have called each other out, have allowed for the big government, and massive influx of federal jobs.
Sucha a waste~

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join