It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK could go 'Belly up' - Unemployment Crisis

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I've already started that process. I'm currently in the Samaritans system- it's very slow, though. I'm attending an open meeting type thing next month. I'm also looking at helping out with a couple of other organisations, though I don't want to get too bogged down with commitments, as I'm on the waiting list for the forces, and that could open up any time.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

"I'm not a door mat, but what's wrong with being a little bit selfless? Yes, the government would gain a few things from my compliance, but then again, so would the local community- or do you expect to be paid for picking up litter off your street, or doing something that someone other than yourself would benefit from? " quote.

The moment you do even as much as an hours work for nothing you are making yourself a doormat... Do you see those rich and corrupt politicians in Whitehall giving up any of their over innflated salaries or even contributing any of their millions to charity? No, they don't care about us or anyone. They feather their own nests and by agreeing to work for nothing, no matter how little it may be, you are helping them get richer and at the same time are reducing the chance of ever having a proper job again. Why employ someone to work when you can force someone on benefits to do it for nothing?
Please realise the error of your sincere, but never the less, wrong, ideas for your future and refuse to anything unless you get a proper wage for a proper days work.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
IMHO, bringing first world economies to their knees IS a strategy, a deliberate one, as someone else pointed out.

Its just a way to get us desperate enough to sign away our rights, freedoms, etc. I think they are hoping that as we get more focused on short term needs, (food, this months rent) we will stop paying attention altogether to the dismantling of sovereign nations.

Its working here in the US.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

I think the idea is now, you rely on yourself and the good nature of your fellow citizens in Camerons DIY Big Society.

The way it use to be before everything was someone else's problem. Before were we taught to stop thinking for ourselves. Before we came to expect the State to provide all. And before we were led to believe that unless we can afford the latest HD TV and new iPod and have 3 holidays a year in Barbados we're living in abject poverty.

I say, bring it on!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

66% of the Cabinet were privately educated.
More MP's now were privately educated than any time since the 1920's.
It is getting harder and harder to gain admittance to any of the top 20 Universities, The Russell Group, unless you have attended the correct Prep and Public Schools, than any time since the war.
Fewer and fewer people from comprehensive education are gaining the top jobs and the control, power and influence that the 7% of the UK population who were privately educated is increasing in every section of society.

Recently there has been two excellent programmes on BBC about this, unfortunately they are no longer on iPlayer.
Whilst 'Who get's the best job's' is available on youtube only clip's of Andrew Neil's excellent 'Posh and Posher: Why Public School Boys Run Britain'.

www.bbc.co.uk...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...
www.youtube.com...

Both programmes are essential viewing.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScepticalBeliever

I've already started that process. I'm currently in the Samaritans system- it's very slow, though. I'm attending an open meeting type thing next month. I'm also looking at helping out with a couple of other organisations, though I don't want to get too bogged down with commitments, as I'm on the waiting list for the forces, and that could open up any time.

i know what you mean, things take ages, I applied for about 3 voluntary jobs back last summer and have only started one and waiting for training for another, Im still waiting to hear back from the other one. Anyway good luck, I hope things start to work out for you soon.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

Technically you get paid more then £65 a week as people on benefits get help towards their rent and council tax. In most cases where a household is on a really low income or only on benefits, they will get this paid in full for the duration they are on benefits.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I saw the Andrew Neill program, I will have to check out the other vid. I find it all very depressing, because we dont really have anyone providing any solutions. I can't see how these things are going to change under the current political system.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join