It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun unleashes huge solar flare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Sun unleashes huge solar flare

www.bbc.co.uk

The Sun has unleashed its strongest flare in four years, observers say.

The eruption is a so-called X-flare, the strongest type; such flares can affect communications on Earth.

Nasa's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) spacecraft recorded an intense flash of extreme ultraviolet radiation emanating from a sunspot.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) has issued a geomagnetic storm warning, and says observers might be able to see aurorae from the northern UK.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I remember somewhere in 2008 NASA warned about a hole in our earth magnetic field and with the next solar flare it could affect modern life permanently. It should be somewhere in 2012 or 2013. Could this be now or it is nothing to worry about?

Are we also able to see a northern light?

Any thoughts on that?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16/2/2011 by rai76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is the beginning of the SOLAR MAXIMUM.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Allready Posted Yesterday

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Oh god! You freaked me out! We already have a M6.6 and a X2.2 coming our way! I thought another one, bigger than the X one, was headed our way. That could have been lethal to oyr power grid :s

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159
Oh god! You freaked me out! We already have a M6.6 and a X2.2 coming our way! I thought another one, bigger than the X one, was headed our way. That could have been lethal to oyr power grid :s

I thought the EXACT same thing!!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

MAYBE IT WILL COME and one of those!
NASA just can tell us "this and that" , THEY CAN'T KNOW FOR SURE!
THAT'S ALL THE "BEAUTY" OF THESE DAYS!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
To me, this is even more concerning, considering our Congress just introduced revisions to the SHIELD Act and it appears they might be trying to smokescreen it. Information about the bill here.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rai76

The Sun has unleashed its strongest flare in four years, observers say.
Hmmm, how long does it take this radiation to reach Earth? Wait...distance from the sun, times the speed of light? I don't suppose any of these X class flares have directly hit Earth yet? Or is this the first one? Damn, why are electronics so fragile...I need to wrap my house in lead.

edit on 16-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

This is the beginning of the SOLAR MAXIMUM.

I doubt it. During a grand solar minimum the sunspot cycles are longer.

This is a graph comparing Apples with Apples, not old vs new methods: www.landscheidt.info...

This is a graph of the different counting methods: www.landscheidt.info...

Given how the US government likes to change "counting methods" to hide reality from the Sheeple, I dislike the NOAA/NASA method. Their egos are very much on line since they originally forecast a very active solar cycle 24 and now have to eat their words.

Solar cycle 24 Predictions - OOPS! (graph) As you can see NASA originally predicted a Solar Cycle Maximum for some time in 2010 with a sunspot count of near 150. (Actually it was originally 170) the last change is to a count of around 80 some time in 2013.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Please add your comments to the existing thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join