It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Patriot Act is a Threat to Our Liberty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
That's the title to a letter sent by Rep. Tom McClintock (R–CA) to Andrew Breitbarts site, Big Government.
Here
biggovernment.com...

Now before anyone gets upset about a conservative letter to a conservative site and starts bashing conservatives because they are conservative. . . whew. . . just read it.

Maybe we ARE making a difference.

Below is part of the letter. I'll let you read the full article yourself.

Last year I voted to extend the PATRIOT Act for one year. I regret that vote and was glad to have been able to correct it, although I am pained that the House voted otherwise yesterday.

During this past year, I have become convinced that the provisions of the so-called PATRIOT Act are an affront to the Bill of Rights and a serious threat to our fundamental liberty as Americans.

The Fourth Amendment arises from abuses of the British Crown that allowed roving searches by revenue agents under the guise of what were called “writs of assistance” or “general warrants.” Instead of following specific allegations against specific individuals, the Crown’s revenue agents were given free rein to search indiscriminately.

In 1761, the famous colonial leader, James Otis, challenged these writs, arguing that “A man’s house is his castle; and whilst he is quiet, he is as well guarded as a prince in his castle. This writ, if it should be declared legal, would totally annihilate this privilege.” Two hundred and fifty years later, the PATRIOT Act restores these roving searches.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
glad to see he took back his previous position. I agree. I mean how many snipping times do we need to quote the "giving up freedom for safety deserves neither" quote before people wake up???!!

And I don't mean religious or spiritual or see your dead mom or aliens wake up! I mean The same rights our founding fathers thought we had. The deists where god doesnt play into everyday life.

Get a clue, get a gun. The PTB want you all to be peaceful, alien loving, spiritual wackos. If you look around ATS and see that...you are the SHEEP.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Electric Crown

Thks for replying. I hope people do wake up. It seems the sleepiest are those in DC.

Taking our country back won't be as dramatic as the protests in Egypt, but it should be just as profound.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Ya' think?
Any representative who votes to continue this affront to the American people is suspect! and should be voted out!

edit on 16-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
this is very very old news, and the fact that this act extends into the case of gary mckinnon over here in the uk just makes me sick. the problem isn't choosing the right quotes its getting across the point to your government to take the hint, not that protests peaceful or otherwise ever make any difference in our countries. I mean hell, student protests over here did nothing whatsoever to change policy, so the only answer that remains is wait til shtf and clean up the leftovers.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The patriot act is an oxymoron. It may as well be called the Orwell Act.

They really shouldn't push the citizens of this country because most of us are poorer than they are and have less to lose.

And if you want safety, try some Wilson era isolationism. And stop letting people in. The frigging melting pot is full

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It's the "boiling water and frog" analogy that so many use.

First the Patriot Act, then what? The "freedom act" to remove the rest of our rights?

You can call it the "Unicorn and Sunshine" Act and it'd still be a rape of the American people.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Considering how many provisions of the constitution are blatently violated by this draconian law.I am suprised that some one hasn't had it brought before the Supreme court so it can be declared unconstitutional.After all it is.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Maybe we ARE making a difference.

We are. 26 Republicans joined another 122 Democrats to oppose this bill, 8 of them were freshman republicans. Now while that is a fraction of freshmen elected to office, it was enough to stop the patriot act from being passed. Rand Paul, who I disagree with in so many ways and who I have criticized made a stand and announced he was not going to support this law. Slowly political leaders are gaining spines in DC, but we cannot just rely on this. I have not seen a signficant movement against this bill from either side. The Patriot act was not at the center of the tea parties various rallies (irregardless of the vocal opposition from tea party members here) and I have not seen any significant liberal movement against this bill, not atleast since this administration was elected.

There needs to be a nationwide movement.... a petition of some sorts, an awareness movement made to houses a neighbourhoods about how such laws are damaging this nation. The issue is, there is not enough people to make the effort.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hopefully ATSers can foment and EDUCATED unrest with unconstitutional acts implemented by an overreaching government.

I love my country and am now a disabled vet because I gave myself for it. Seems like Patriotism is unpopular here on ATS but Patriotism (nationalism) is one of the best tools against globalism. Globalism and globalists are our true enemy. There is an all out attack on nationalism by the globalists and too many ATSers unfortunately are falling for this part of the propaganda.

"A fever of nationalism...but the nation-state is becoming less and less competent to perform its international political tasks...These are some of the reasons pressing us to lead vigorously toward the true building of a new world order...Sooner perhaps than we may realize...there will evolve the bases for a federal structure of the free world."
- Nelson Rockerfeller

The whole Educational system has been subverted to this end.

Sir Julian Huxley UNESCO: Its Purpose and Its Philosophy. "The general philosophy of UNESCO should be a scientific world humanism, global in extent and evolutionary in background...its education program it can stress the ultimate need for world political unity and familiarize all peoples with the implications of the transfer of full sovereignty from separate nations to a world organization...Political unification in some sort of world government will be required...Tasks for the media division of UNESCO (will be) to promote the growth of a common outlook shared by all nations and cultures...to help the emergence of a single world culture....Even though it is quite true that any radical eugenic policy will be for many years politically and psychologically impossible, it will be important for UNESCO to see that the eugenic problem is examined with the greatest care, and that the public mind is informed of the issues at stake so that much that now is unthinkable may at least become thinkable.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Well said. I never put patriotism in the same scope as nationalism before. Thank you for your reply and your service and sacrifice.

edit on 16-2-2011 by beezzer because: typo

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thank you for yours!

The true Patriots love our country (nationalism) and support it through words AND DEEDS. Until your willing to lay down your life for something, you don't really love it. Members like you still in are our best defense. Our military and our local Sheriff and local law enforcement are the ones who have to implement the globalist policy. And I KNOW that the patriotism of those inside the military has been a major deterrent to a faster implementation. This is one of the reasons the globalists want to implement a federal police force which will implement the corporate elite policies where local law enforcement and military would hesitate.

What was not widely reported... and this newscast fails to point out.. the agressive house to house attacks and restraints were done by blackwater a private company. The police and National Guard were hesitant.

The people with solid color shirts, vests and camo pants in the video were BLACKWATER. They were the ones beating up residents and kicking in doors... not National Guard and Police.

950/day per Blackwater operative.

We DO NOT want companies like Blackwater (now Xe) as our "civilian national defense force."
edit on 16-2-2011 by pianopraze because: typo

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

first and most important ,thank you for your service and sacrifice.I am thanking you because I thank every service person and vet I meet.They wouldn't take me cause of a back problem.There is one thing that I am sure of ....without people like you and the others who have sacrificed over the life of this country,I would not have what I have today.I can speak my mind without some one trying to throw me in jail for what I believe.
Now that being said....I think that our wonderful government needs to take a close look at itself if it's gonna hire mercs to harrass the citizens.Just exactly why were they taking citizens constitutionally legal firearms away from them.Then beating up an old lady....big brave cops huh four big fat cops on a 98 pound old lady then they beat her up.Nice I don't think this is what you sacrificed for.I love my country ,but I hate my government.they are out of control and no longer represent the people.Now they represent the lobbys that pay them the most.Considering that we pay their salaries you'd think we would have some pull,but we can't pay them millions.Ever notice that some of the freshman representatives and senators are not that wealthy when they are elected ,but then after they have been in office for a term or two they majically have a couple million.I would really like to see an accounting for that.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Electric Crown

Thks for replying. I hope people do wake up. It seems the sleepiest are those in DC.

Taking our country back won't be as dramatic as the protests in Egypt, but it should be just as profound.

the sleepiest or the most corupt? I suspect corupt!

Someone else refered to it as the "Orwell act" which is esentualy right.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha

first and most important ,thank you for your service and sacrifice.I am thanking you because I thank every service person and vet I meet.They wouldn't take me cause of a back problem.There is one thing that I am sure of ....without people like you and the others who have sacrificed over the life of this country,I would not have what I have today.I can speak my mind without some one trying to throw me in jail for what I believe.
Now that being said....I think that our wonderful government needs to take a close look at itself if it's gonna hire mercs to harrass the citizens.Just exactly why were they taking citizens constitutionally legal firearms away from them.Then beating up an old lady....big brave cops huh four big fat cops on a 98 pound old lady then they beat her up.Nice I don't think this is what you sacrificed for.I love my country ,but I hate my government.they are out of control and no longer represent the people.Now they represent the lobbys that pay them the most.Considering that we pay their salaries you'd think we would have some pull,but we can't pay them millions.Ever notice that some of the freshman representatives and senators are not that wealthy when they are elected ,but then after they have been in office for a term or two they majically have a couple million.I would really like to see an accounting for that.

You have hit the nail on the head. It is the bought out politicians who are doing this.

It was the Blackwater thugs who beat her up, not the police. Blackwater thugs beat up many people during Katrina... not the police or National Guard.

Blackwater (renamed Xe) is now part of Monsanto: link.

A report by Jeremy Scahill in The Nation (Blackwater’s Black Ops, 9/15/2010) revealed that the largest mercenary army in the world, Blackwater (now called Xe Services) clandestine intelligence services was sold to the multinational Monsanto. Blackwater was renamed in 2009 after becoming famous in the world with numerous reports of abuses in Iraq, including massacres of civilians. It remains the largest private contractor of the U.S. Department of State “security services,” that practices state terrorism by giving the government the opportunity to deny it.

Many military and former CIA officers work for Blackwater or related companies created to divert attention from their bad reputation and make more profit selling their nefarious services-ranging from information and intelligence to infiltration, political lobbying and paramilitary training – for other governments, banks and multinational corporations. According to Scahill, business with multinationals, like Monsanto, Chevron, and financial giants such as Barclays and Deutsche Bank, are channeled through two companies owned by Erik Prince, owner of Blackwater: Total Intelligence Solutions and Terrorism Research Center. These officers and directors share Blackwater.

Read more: www.darkgovernment.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Oh dear that is really frightening that Monsanto owns them.Thank you for the information.Nothing good will come of this.

new topics

top topics

join