It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Question Existence of Solar System's Mystery Planet Tyche

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Astronomers Question Existence of Solar System's Mystery Planet Tyche

www.foxnews.com

A duo of planetary astronomers grabbed media attention by claiming a planet four times the size of Jupiter may be lurking in the outer solar system. They call the planet Tyche.

Many astronomers, however, say it probably isn't there.

The claim by John Matese and Daniel Whitmire of the University of Lousiana-Lafayette is not new: They have been making a case for Tyche since 1999, suggesting that the giant planet's presence in a far-flung region of solar system called the Oort cloud would explain the unusual orbital paths of some comets that originate there.

"There's evidence that so
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I have to say I don't think it is there and this whole thing/story got blown out of proportion.

It seems to me that some in the Scientific world are quick to release their findings-without substancial proof etc.

Probably to get more money from some source if they show progess/results.

Time will tell.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I could have swore not 2 days ago they said they found it, and produced photo's. the f is going on now?

damned fox news...

there are already more than 9 known planets in this solar system, not including pluto, nasa is just slow at informing the public properly. and teaching kids that there are 8 planets and nothing more is retarded.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by madscientistintraining

They said it was a possibility, nothing had been proven. There were pictures from WISE that indicated there might be something there, but the odds of it being a planet were extremely low. As for other planets in the solar system, there are dwarf planets, a distinct classification from planets and NASA let us know about them as soon as they were confirmed.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The story was simply that if the planet exists, then the WISE data should prove it. That was it. The rest was the usual media speculation and ATSers see 2 + 2 and finding pi.

Of course, the WISE data may equally prove that the hypothesised planet does not exist.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
We know so little its scary. Interesting times indeed.

I don't believe there is an undiscovered planet, but Its certainly possible.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
it's not a planet.... it's a Brown Dwarf as already hypothesized by NASA back in 1983/1984/1992... god why can't they all just put all their information together, and come to a conclusion about this 'mystery' object that has been plaguing astronomers for the last few hundred years...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
So, I take it the general concenus is that the whole story/news was released too early. Research not colaborated before making the announcements?

Maybe HYPE-new making instead of actual reporting?

If a Peer Review determines this stuff to be Junk-doom on those who shot their mouths off too early.

I think there is enough things out in space that can be investigated and researched (and confirmed) without making stuff up. Or, maybe just some Peer recognition. I think they are going to get that-but not in the way they wanted.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
its planet x or .... nothing. therefore its somthing hence its planet x... ( well wtf is it ! )

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ITSALLAROUNDYOU

and in there lays the question.

What the heck is it then?

I am betting a closely knit group of stars/planets/moon etc thta just happen to appear so large.

new topics

top topics

join