It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 82
<< 79  80  81    83  84  85 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I'll start by support your argument and show that the experts are looking elsewhere.

www.courierpress.com...

But when it come to faults, we know where they are because of the earthquakes. And tomography. But this doesn't find them all. There are many unknown faults and they won't be discovered until they move. If you notice in the article, because it's a mid-continetal quake, the rules change. Faults in the middle of a plate are under two forces. Compression, and tension, or pulling. And some of the faults are locked. This would mean they would remain hidden and inactive.

At the 3 minute mark of this You Tube video, sorry press for time and it's out of sync, they describe the tomography that is showing possible fault under Memphis.

www.youtube.com...

I don't have it handy, but the same researchers who are looking at Wabash said that the quakes act like a game of whack-a-mole.

If the New Madrid is an old, incomplete rift, I am assuming it is very extensive and may run south along the Mississipi River. The river almost resembles a rift in the way it carves the United States into east and west.

The faults in this region are complex.

I was reading the appeal by the waste disposal company. Deep-Six Water Disposal Vs Arkansas. What the... Deep six. Really? I won't even comment. Shouldn't need to. The simple fact is that they are injecting fluids near a complex active siesmic area. Injection causes quakes. In the Enola swarm there was a suggestion by researchers that they observed what could be fluid movement.

The swarm I am watching reminds me of the two swarms at Yellowstone. And from recent papers, they too believe fluids were migrating.

Makes ya think, huh.
ouch

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Robin, I believe this is the aricle you were referencing.

I'm on the trail of several things at once in regards to these shenanigans and will post some of the more salient finds I've unearthed this evening after my kids are in bed.

Dirty rotten bastards.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Robin, I am not sure if this is along the lines of what you are searching but it is interesting nonetheless. Apparently they were doing this in the 60's around Denver causing earthquakes there.

adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Thanks, I read several version of the report and couldn't remember which was which.

I don't want to distract. But one of my ideas has been supported by a new study.

www.cbc.ca...

Here's my experiment.

www.youtube.com...

Compare. I post this because I, in most cases, know what I'm taking about. This study supports my claims. I'm not out here pulling stuff out of my... My problem is that I'm often a. of the curve and I hate waiting.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by iprotectwildlife

Yes. And it's not the only study to conclude injection induces earthquakes.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I found this on searching the Enola swarm, seems someone did some ground measurenments

"Third order leveling surveys show 14.3 cm of uplift between 1961 and 1986 at a benchmark over the graben relative to a benchmark outside of the graben."

Found here;

www.sciencedirect.com... arch&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1653651193&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=a61fb923882912d69 7a78010b17f6d67&searchtype=a

The full pdf costs, so I haven]t read it.

"

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I just cannot understand how they have gotten away with it all these years ! Don't they breathe the same air as we do ? Do they drink water ? It is so disgusting !!!

I read somewhere that those that run or own the gas and oil companies are like the tobacco industry.
How many years did they tell us that smoking does not cause lung cancer ?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Here is another interesting look at the 1982 and 2001 Enola swarms,

www.ceri.memphis.edu...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Isn't it Boone Pickens that has been investing his money in the water under Texas and the surrounding states, buying up land on top of all the aquifers. He seems to think the future is going to be in water, more than oil. Wouldn 't you think he would be a bit concerned over the pollution that is going to ruin his investment with all these deep well injections accepting all these poisonous wastes?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by herenow
Isn't it Boone Pickens that has been investing his money in the water under Texas and the surrounding states, buying up land on top of all the aquifers. He seems to think the future is going to be in water, more than oil. Wouldn 't you think he would be a bit concerned over the pollution that is going to ruin his investment with all these deep well injections accepting all these poisonous wastes?

Someone would first have to acknowledge that the water has been polluted before it would be of any concern. It is kind of like our current predicament regarding fracking. One side says fracking can cause earthquakes, the other says no way. It all comes down to winning peoples opinion and who has the money to sway opinion.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

I should think the evidence in Pennsylvania and Colorado about their water and the oil and gas companies supplying them with water would be evidence enough as to what can happen. That fluid injected will eventually go somewhere. I was a plumber for more than forty years and have always evaluated a piece of property by the quality of its water. Don;t think I would want to live anywhere near where they inject this stuff into the ground. All my fathers family is from the Salem and Manila area, so I have many relatives down that way.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
To reply to the extinct volcano question. I live slap dab on top of one. Pardon my southern... I believe Jackson, Mississippi isthe only city in the USA that does. Hopefully it remains extinct. I do feel a little strange about it if you want to know the truth loI. I hear it is 65 million years old if I remember correctly.
edit on 23-2-2011 by lithegrace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I was reading the appeal by the waste disposal company. Deep-Six Water Disposal Vs Arkansas. What the... Deep six. Really? I won't even comment. Shouldn't need to.

Deep six? Really??

Ok... while I try to pick myself up off the floor... here's a neat lil relaxing game for you all to go play when you need a quick break and a few mins of fun. I warn you it's a lil addictive but wonderful for calming the nerves before diving back in.

Music Catch 2

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by herenow

Could you please give me the TITLE of the abstract. That link does not work but I can find it from the title.

Belay that I found it.

edit on 23/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Searching: Has anyone come across this one? The May 2001 Faulkner County Earthquakes (PDF)
edit on 23/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Did you notice the line, "Research has suggested that lower siesmic velocities in the Enola may indicate a highly fractured zone exists or natural fluid migration may be playing a role in the earthquakes."

That's what we need to realize. There may be fluid migration near Enola. And it would seem like the same thing is happening in Guy/Greenbrier. The swarms are showing the same pattern. We've seen it before. Old Yella.

So pumping more fluids into this area is completely unsound.

You know I got fluid on the brain. Did you see the new study about volcanic quakes? They suggest gas is escaping around a wobbly plug. My experiment shows exactly that. But mine is driven by the fluid. Water. Which produces the extra gas. Water and gas migrations are key to understanding volcanoes. And it would seem that fluid migration is key to understanding what is happened in Enola, and what is happening in Guy/Greenbrier.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Get a load of this then Robini

The detailed analysis of the time-space pattern of seismicity during the January 1997 swarm demonstrates the gradual and ordered migration of micro-seismic activity, suggesting the step-by-step penetration of fluids into a small fractured volume. This scenario is supported by the similarity of the source mechanisms of the natural events of the January 1997 swarm with artificial injection-induced micro-earthquakes during the German deep drilling project (KTB) in neighbouring NE Bavaria.

Source. Abstract from: Possible role of fluids in the process of earthquake swarm generation in the West Bohemia/Vogtland seismoactive region. That is one of these impossible links so....

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
umm, they just listed a 3.4 mag. It didn't look that big to me. Location?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
i smell conspiracy lol when i refreshed the siesmo this is how the page looks (notice just a flat line between events.
www.iris.washington.edu...

but it looked like this to start
www.iris.washington.edu...

sometime after the bigest one on there i refreshed and all of the micro data was gone. it whiped all the lines to just strait.
Normal? I havent been watching the windyhollow one for long and dont know if thats sop.

and i had just went to the fraking sight and was checking it out when this happend
not sure if its me or not but the recorder on my screen only shows mostly a flat line with small shakes no fries lol
edit on 23-2-2011 by Fritzthecat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I heard and felt it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Fritzthecat

2 different days. The first is ordinal day 55 (today in UTC) and the second is ordinal day 54 (Yesterday in UTC)

top topics

<< 79  80  81    83  84  85 >>

join