It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 80
<< 77  78  79    81  82  83 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Sorry took a quick shower just in case. It shook the house and rattled doors and windows. The cat is calmer at the moment but not letting me out of her site. Black birds left the yard before it hit and have not come back yet, we have a huge flock that hangs out in this neighborhood and no I don't see any dead ones. LOL!! This one felt as large as the ones that hit last weekend and it is not showing that but it shook just as much as those two did. I know they are putting in monitors but they have not said where they are putting them that I can find.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

I am a long-time lurker. I joined to learn more and discuss various topics.

I live in North County St. Louis, Missouri in a karst area, with sinkholes, caves, etc.

We have been experiencing ground movement for about 3 months. Tiny things, like a plastic container sliding off the top of the refrigerator. These movements are in synch with the Arkansas quakes.
Had another one this morning.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Are you feeling the smaller ones? There's been several since the larger one you felt.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

Really? Wow. I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe you could set up a crude siesmograph. I don't even know how you'd do that. I've only experience one quake and my hanging plants started swaying. I'm going to check on that. I know the quakes travel far distances due to the sandy soil, but that's a long long way away. Even Puterman couldn't find GPS monitors. I hope one of the other Quake Geeks can pull up a webicoder near you and I can have a look.

edit on 23-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I just took a walk around our property 3 acres. No wind is blowing, no I did not feel the smaller ones but my husband has a deer feeder hanging in a tree that releases by a timer and it looks like it has released some corn and it is swaying back and forth and no wind is blowing. I couldn't tell much at the pond and there was some top movement but may be the fish.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I had someone suggest making one with dishes so that if there was the slightest rattle they would crash. I'm not real clean on breaking my dishes but not a bad thought for the night time. I would like to know as well how to make something that might work.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I have 3 small dogs and 10 bantam chickens. The bantams live in a coop in my attached garage. Before weather events and ground events they get very quiet.
Last night no one wanted to even leave the coop to run around (I let them run around the garage for an hour on days when they can't go outside).
This AM I awoke to a 24 car accident in town, ice glaze all over St. Louis and items in my kitchen "shifted".

No weatherman predicted the ice. And as for the shifting...?

It should be noted we live on the edge of a very stable sinkhole. I monitor our home for any cracking or shifting daily. For a while I thought it was just me, but the falling items tell a different story.

And the ghosts have been very quiet, so I can't blame them.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I found a relatively easy do it yourself seismograph. There were others, but they were much more complicated.

www.kfvs12.com...

I wouldn't worry about pulling the paper through the slot. Just place the paper and make sure it's not in a room where there's movement. Just an idea.

edit on 23-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

I saw the news this morning and the shots they had of the wreck and that your area got hit with ice, then they said it had changed back over to rain.I wonder if windchimes work maybe for a warning signal? I called my husband and told him I'm ready to move and get out of this state and go back to Louisiana, I know they have them there too, but you don't usually feel them and they don't un-nerve you.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Have read through the first 70 pages - but haven't had time to read last 10 - so if I'm repeating something already stated - sorry. Some dots that I just connected this morning: in reference to the large quake yesterday in New Zealand: on Jan.5th hundreds of snapper were found both in the water and on the beach in New Zealand. On Feb. 21st - just 24 hours before the big quake - 107 dead and dying pilot whales were on the beach on Stewart Island Beach in New Zealand. I don't believe in coincidences. Are the dead fish/whales the final warning before the quake hits?? If so - are all the dead birds/fish in Arkansas and the surrounding areas a warning of quakes to come in that area?? See www.thebigwobble.com for stories on New Zealand's dead whales and fish stories.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by galacticgirl

I'm just speculating and I'm sure there's research into the animal reactions to quakes. My guess is maybe movement in the oceans disturbs sediments that may release methane. Some suggest radon can be release before quakes.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

That is a good point, and I hope you are wrong. Add to the mix, all the dead baby dolphins that have washed up on the gulf this month. That probably has more to do with the oil spill and corexit though.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I found this too and they sell these to school, wonder if they would sell one to an individual as well.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

There was a bird kill in Jefferson County Missouri in early February (not sure of the day, but saw it on the news and online in local papers)
We drove around over the weekend, from Calhoun County Illinois to St. Charles Missouri and were surprised by the huge (300+) flocks of red wing blackbirds gathering. It is too cold and early for this. No one was displaying breeding colors. Just eating and gathering.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

I've wondered that too, there was also the rise in the floor and I had sent a message out to some facebook friends about that when I saw it and they had not heard about it, then the quake hit.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

I use a brass bell and it sits on the edge of a shelf - it fell to the floor when we had a quake a few months back.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well the idea of an epicenter in Memphis is not entirely out of the question- it is close enough to the New Madrid fault and has seen its share of shaking:

Another earthquake in the Mississippi Valley region caused damage in Tennessee and Arkansas on May 7, 1927. It was strongest at Jonesboro, Arkansas, where some chimneys fell (VII). However, the felt area indicated that the epicenter was farther to the east, in Tennessee. Damage there was limited to the shattering of window panes and breaking of dishes in the Memphis area. Many people were awakened by the early morning (2:28 AM) rapid rocking motion; in addition, surface and subterranean sounds were heard. The shock was also felt in parts of Alabama, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Missouri, an area of about 337,000 square kilometers.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

But by that very quote, and lack of historical large quakes/precedence directly for Memphis, TN, it would seem that the mechanisms for larger quakes would tend to be historically elsewhere- close, but not a hypo center directly under the city. At least that's the feel I get after a bit of browsing.

So I guess my question is Robin, besides the recent quake activity in Arkansas and the fracking, do you feel like there is direct historical evidence for the necessary fault mechanisms existing under Memphis to create a large quake directly under the city of Memphis?

I guess I am just trying to understand what significance historical precedence may have on your prediction.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Earthquakes seem to be running rampant lately

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

I heard about the 24 vehicle accident on the news. Can't believe the weatherman
didn't mention ice out there. I haven't read all the threads today - was there a
quake in Missouri - I think I saw that before my first cup of coffee, will take another
look - stay safe.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I remember you from the Yellowstone thread. You know your quakes.
The reason I believe Memphis may be one of the epicenters, remember to compare it to 1811/12, is from the Mega Disasters program. I haven't been able to forget the tomography. I don't want to say this, but I can't shake it. The geologist had a 3D model.

I think the load will be building bewteen the New Madrid, and Guy/Greenbrier. I could go on and on and throw all kinds of reason into the pot. It's my opionion based on my obsession.

If you believe the geologists who studied the Chinese quake and found mid-continental quakes are unique, they think it's going to be the Wabash Seismic Zone.

I'm going to stop. Unfortunately I see many things. And my effort out here is not to really focus on a prediction exactly. Maybe I'll write on Robinesque Ruminations and I'll feel more free to speculate there.

My focus at the moment is trying to wrap my head around the Enola swarm. And find that damn sheriff's well site.

top topics

<< 77  78  79    81  82  83 >>

join