It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 76
<< 73  74  75    77  78  79 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Ok, I'm not going to rant. I'm learning to breath first, then slow down the thinking.
I found an article while I was trying to find a particular item in my email.

Trust me, I'm biting my tongue. Til it hurts.

news.medill.northwestern.edu...

How can he make this conclusion based on one factor? GPS. He said he has been interested on earthquakes in the middle of the continent, but it using a methodolgy better suited for faults at the edges of plates. The stresses on faults in the mid-continent are surrounded and may be unable to move. In fact, this restriction may be preventing the fault from relieving stress. This means that when it ruptures it could be sudden and have more energy to release. In most cases, movement and tiny swarms of earthquakes are a good thing. Just because the ground isn't moving doesn't mean that the faults aren't building stresses. It just means you aren't seeing movement. That's all. To make such a claim based only on one observation is irresponsible.

If you noticed, I didn't not just bring one knife to this fight. I had many observations and many related research items to support my hypothesis. If this were a court of law. I would be presenting many witness, and forensic evidence. This person, (not going to say anything about the photo) is defending his client by saying that since no one saw the defendant over top the body, there was no crime, and that's all he needs to make his case.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

So it would slow down just as we were getting going! I am glad of that, but don't let that stop the impetus. What we have to ask is why has it slowed or even stopped? Is is because the cause is not fracking or is it just that the last lot of damage has stopped for the time being?

You started as a mild skeptic and suddenly became an activist.

Mild is something I have never been Robin
. I was and still am a sceptic about the amount of human contribution to climate change, and you might be surprised at my growing activism against wind farms.

How can he make this conclusion based on one factor? GPS. He said he has been interested on earthquakes in the middle of the continent, but it using a methodolgy better suited for faults at the edges of plates.

I have read up on this theory quite a lot now and I will be preparing something for the blog as we must present all sides. I think that first you should understand that actually the movement of the fault if it is ~1 mm a year is not no movement and all this does is slow things down. I will post an article by a geologist who states this when I find the link. So instead of happening in 5 years it happens in 20 years is the sort of idea.

I cannot get access to any GPS data to verify this story which really irritates me, but there we go. Guess I have to live with the irritation.

We also have the Farallon plate theory. Does this go contra to the no movement idea? Don't know yet. I am still looking at it, but it just goes to show that there is not 100% agreement out there.
edit on 22/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
While doing a little web-based research on fracking induced earthquakes, I stumbled upon a preview of this book called "Induced Earthquakes" by S.K.Guha. Since it's just a preview it only shows a few pages starting on page 41 I believe. The charts and information that is disclosed in the preview is worth taking a look at. I was also thinking maybe we could find a way to contact this author. Maybe he would allow us to use some of his charts or data as reference if we link back to a way people can purchase the full book or better yet maybe he might offer his opinion. Just a thought... but he seems to be ahead of us on the research he's done on this topic and maybe a realitive expert?

I found Table 2.4 on pages 43-45 to be very interesting. You look at all these different examples and wonder how can they still deny negligence? It's like watching a young child steal a cookie... see the crumbs on his face and ask who ate the cookie and he points to the dog.

"Induced Earthquakes" preview

Also... I have had a chance to go visit the new site PM... so far all I've had time to do was take a quick look, but I'll be giving it the attention it deserves here in a short time. From what I saw from my brief visit it looks really good so far.

as for those in NZ.... of course my thoughts and prayers to everyone in that region.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
GPS is a valuable tool. But there's more to this story. And I'm glad I'm reviewing the information. At the begining of this thread I posted a study on mid-continental quakes. I've found another article which is about the same study, but in this one the researchers are concerned about the Wabash Valley System. I was pointing at Memphis.

www.courierpress.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Robin, if no one has set up a Facebook account yet, I can do it.

Maybe something like this:

"Friends of Arkansas Against Fracking"

I can link both the Fracking Arkansas blog and the Twitter page, plus any other links that are needed. I can also set up a Friends of Arkansas email address and anything else that will be beneficial. I am pretty darn computer literate, so please let me know what all I can do to help.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I want everyone to read the following research. There's two stories, and they're pretty much the same.

www.technologyreview.com...

www.newscientist.com...

I like studying the media. Read the report and think about for awhile. In a little while, I'll post a full, and voluntary confession.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by researchit333

Excellent idea - I go to facebook a little more often than twitter. My friends and family are on Facebook and they live near the Madrid Fault - they would definitely pass the word for us as well.

edit on 22-2-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Yes, by all means. Make sure you link to the new site. Feel free to use anything I've written and make sure you edit it and fixes my spelling errorrrrrs.

I'll repost Sunflower Star's collection of links as well so you can add them.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunflowerStar
Here is a list resources that have been quoted to date on this thread. I would like to thank those who recently added the links to historical data in their posts, rounding out the reference material tremendously. For realtime monitoring I suggest folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu... New folks as you join in discussions use links to support your theory. Do a little research. If you embed maps and pictures etc, also include the link at the end of your post, so it can be referenced.

so without further adeau:

EarthQuake and Tetonic plate resources:

www.usgs.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...
www.iris.edu...
www.ouramazingplanet.com...
folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...
CERI Helicorders, seismic monitoring: folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...
qvsdata.wordpress.com...
earthquake.usgs.gov...
Earthquake List For Arkansas (Greenbrier Area) Feb 15-16: earthquake.usgs.gov...
www.scchealth.org...
news.nationalgeographic.com...
qvsdata.wordpress.com...
www.documentarystream.com...
earthquake.usgs.gov...
www.ouramazingplanet.com...
qvsdata.wordpress.com...
www.ceri.memphis.edu...
Facts about the New Madrid Fault: www.dnr.mo.gov...
www.reality-choice.org...
geology.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
Descent of the ancient Farallon slab drives localized mantle flow below the New Madrid seismic zone: www.auburn.edu...
thecabin.net...
satellite seismic stress pattern analysis: www.google.com... sis
Understanding seismic reading qvsdata.wordpress.com...
Mercalli intensity scale explained: en.wikipedia.org...
Richter scale: en.wikipedia.org...
www.showme.net...
www.journalgazette.net...
www.sciencedaily.com...

pre quake indicators
insciences.org...
www.newscientist.com...
www.earth.northwestern.edu...
www.geodesy.cwu.edu...
www.sciencedaily.com...

Historical data 1811 quake:

New Madrid 1811 info: www.ceri.memphis.edu...
1811 newspaper accounts: www.eas.slu.edu...
Liquification during quake 1811: www.insurancejournal.com...
USCG 1811 quake: earthquake.usgs.gov...

Fracking/Drilling related:

www.gaslandthemovie.com...
1trickpony.cachefly.net...
www.osti.gov...
search.usa.gov...
qvsdata.wordpress.com...
Injection Induced Earthquake References: www.nyx.net...
www.thepeoplesvoice.org...
seekingalpha.com...
geology.com...
Can you prevent large earthquakes by making lots of small ones, or by "lubricating" the fault with water or another material?: earthquake.usgs.gov...
Discharge of Tectonic Stresses in the Earth Crust by High-power Electric Pulses for Earthquake Hazard Mitigation: www.voltairenet.org...
owni.eu...
c1.redgreenandblue.org...
Gas wells map: www.eia.gov...
The Rocky Mountain Arsenal deep injection well: www.rma.army.mil...
Top 5 Ways to Cause a Man-Made Earthquake: www.wired.com...#
www.aogc.state.ar.us...

Codes for drilling rigs status and other drilling infos:

www.aogc.state.ar.us...
glenarborsun.com...
www.oerb.com...
findarticles.com...

General Geology related resources:

The Memphis Sand Aquifer: nsglc.olemiss.edu...
Sinking sand, sand boils, LIQUEFACTION: www.showme.net...
www.amnh.org...
pediaview.com...
Pic of sandblows and liquification www.buzzle.com...

Volcanic resources:

abundanthope.net...
Volcanic Landforms, Volcanoes and Plate Tectonics:www.tulane.edu...
A VOLCANIC ERUPTION IN ARKANSAS: www.suite101.com...
USGS 06186500 Yellowstone River at Yellowstone Lk Outlet YNP: waterdata.usgs.gov...,00065,00010

Solar Flare resources:
Solar Flares and Earthquakes: adsabs.harvard.edu...

Nuclear/Chemical related sources:

www.terrapub.co.jp...
www.thepeoplesvoice.org...
LITTLE ROCK, Ark., (KTHV) -- The Chemical Stockpile: www.todaysthv.com...

Moon EarthQuake correlation

www.moonconnection.com...
www.smeter.net...
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Mainstream media AK Quake coverage:

edition.cnn.com...#
news.blogs.cnn.com...
www.msnbc.msn.com...
www.foxnews.com...
news.yahoo.com...
news.yahoo.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.nytimes.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Notification links:

Threat Watch: standeyo.com...
www.radioreference.com...
www.radioreference.com...
Home page www.radioreference.com...
www.norad.mil...
www.globalincidentmap.com...
strictlyhonest.com...

Other:

Bird die off map location:www.bing.com...,+Missouri&FORM=MIRE1
FEMA test date and info: www.ready.gov...
www.asisonline.org...
www.fema.gov...
www.baproducts.com... Dr Chet Snow's Earth Change Map
Memphis River Projectwww.memphis.edu...
www.buzzle.com...

This list is provided to those just joining us to possibly not have to read 60+ pages of info. Please consider the categories. Lots of information provided on a variety of related variables.

Tech guys when you reference material like maps etc make a link for our bibliography as well please.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Well alright ....I will get to work on this immediately.
I will alert everyone when the page is available.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

If you haven't seen this, this is a former Gas co planning manager James Northrop discussing some of the major problems of using high-volume slick-water horizontal hydraulic fracturing (hydrofracking) gas drilling method in NY.

vimeo.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hello Robin , Putterman , everyone I run onto the site of a young lady through Twitter by the new site you've started here . She has some good photos & first hand detective work on the ground I think you & everyone should have a look at. ( Sorry if she's all ready here & I've just over looked it , but I did look over the master links again ) Anyway her site is titled " Fracked In Arkansas " She has photos of some of the wells , well gates ponds & says she's working on a video of a sick animal moaning in pain near a contaminated pond if I read the site correctly . I thought I would bring it forth just in case it hadn't been seen yet .
John

heidilore.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I did not see this one posted on here yet.

Magnitude 2.0
Date-Time Tuesday, February 22, 2011 at 18:29:46 UTC
Tuesday, February 22, 2011 at 12:29:46 PM at epicenter

Location 35.265°N, 92.348°W
Depth 5.6 km (3.5 miles)
Region ARKANSAS

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

So, in a way similar to how tectonic plates move and rupture, collections of ideas can conglomerate and explode in a way similar to the movement of the earth during tremors. Interesting.

This leads me to the notion of tracking down those blogspheric stress points and attempting to cause such a wordquake by applying specific pressure.

It almost sounds like what's happened with this thread.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
When I watched the town hall meeting organized to address residents concerns over the fracking, I was upset that the community brought a water pistol to a gun fight. The geologists and the goverment official came prepared with stats and laws and authority. All the residents had was common sense and the experience of living in the area. Most were sure they knew the cause of the quakes, but they didn't have any proof.

That's why I was hoping to shake up my quakewatching friends. In order to understand the quakes we watch, we need to do our research to understand the science. Although we are not experts. We can read. And add.

I hope this thread, our blog, and all the twits and pokes and all that tech stuff can be consolidated. The citizens of Arkansas are outgunned. I want to give them ammunition. I want to reinforce their ranks with recruits who don't like see an unfair fight. I want people to join together and bring justice to the folks who want their lives and communties back. We are the outside world and we need to unite with those on the ground. So, alert Arkansans we are parachuting in behind enemy lines.

I guess I better get busy trying to make a twitter account. And I still have tons of reading and tons of research. And I'll have to get to my confession later. I'll be posting in on my alternative thread.

If anyone else has organizing skills, or tech skills, ask Puterman where your talents can be best used. All ideas are welcome.

Mike Huckabee is an Arkansan. And since he's running for office, he'll be open to discussing issues with concerned American voters. I know he's responsible for bring much of the fracking to the state. Maybe, just maybe, he's an honourable man and will see his error. He will, if he truly loves Arkansas.

Like we, the friends of Arkansas.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

So, in a way similar to how tectonic plates move and rupture, collections of ideas can conglomerate and explode in a way similar to the movement of the earth during tremors. Interesting.

This leads me to the notion of tracking down those blogspheric stress points and attempting to cause such a wordquake by applying specific pressure.

It almost sounds like what's happened with this thread.

Shhhh, you'll spoil my confession. I promise, I'll get to that later.

But yes, learn how to game the media. Corporations manipulate there entries so they appear higher in rank on Google searches.

Here's another famous Arkansan. Johnny Cash.
Some would claim he is a prophet. Not me though. But I am amazed that his music spans the gap between generations and social classes. He transcends. His voice will resonate throughout the ages.
Not trying to distract. Just needs some inspiration. And want to remember it's the people of Arkansas that matter. It's their story I want to tell. Cash was a storyteller too.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 22-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Ok....here is a very rudimentary start to the new Facebook for Arkansas Friend

Hope link works...I am still learning ATS.

When you visit the page....friend it and become a member of the "Friends of Arkansas Against Fracking" group on the page. As I said...this is in its infancy...much more to come.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by researchit333

Ok....here is a very rudimentary start to the new Facebook for Arkansas Friend

Hope link works...I am still learning ATS.

When you visit the page....friend it and become a member of the "Friends of Arkansas Against Fracking" group on the page. As I said...this is in its infancy...much more to come.

I joined up.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Joined and suggested it to all my facebook friends along with information on my profile page.

Next one title order to put together then Freepress

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I made number 8

new topics

top topics

<< 73  74  75    77  78  79 >>

join