It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 74
<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
reply to post by megabogie

I've posted a few of these items to my facebook account, too bad all my friends are so self-absorbed none of them bothered to read anything I've posted

You have taken more action with "those that do not care or are too busy to care"

They are too worried about the new big tv they "want or have or will get", game, house, bedroom suite, yada yada yada that is better than "X"

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by westcoast

They were very cloak and dagger about my insisting on the importance of having this on my policy. I mentioned the NMFZ and they were surprised that I even knew about it... Duh, so what to do? I am so screwed because I KNOW FEMA will not bail me out. All I can do is hope it burns the house down during the EQ...

You are right about that. FEMA gave up to $26,000 per family after Katrina, and that was for total destruction of the house and contents. Most people that didn't have insurance collected the money granted to them and walked away from their homes forever to start over. Those with good credit could get low percentage loans (3 % I think it was) to get the funds to rebuild. My kids and I received much less grant money and honestly, trying to replace everything a family needs that is necessary (clothes, beds, furniture, etc) was impossible on what was given. So just know that you will receive money if your area is declared a federal disaster area, but it won't be nearly enough to cover your damages without insurance.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I'm glad our New Zealand QuakeWatchers are alright. I decided to stay silent and think about those in Christschurch. Sometimes when you're watching the squiggly lines, you forget what they really are. When Kathy or Derek would describe the experiences, it was helpful because it makes it real. I remember the day while watching the Yellowstone webicorder I saw a large quake. I knew it was in the Western Hemisphere and when I found it's location my heart sunk. I instantly knew what a quake in Haiti meant. I knew how they constructed their houses. It seems wrong to get excited when the graphs start jumping, but I confess I do. But I wouldn't watch them if I didn't understand what happens when they are large and hit populated areas. When I started this thread, it was scenes like those now being broadcast that were running through my thoughts. Call me foolish, crazy and deluded, I watch the squiggly lines because I want to understand them so I can warn people.

That's why I'm here. What you are seeing now on the live feed provided by ABC, is what I see for the New Madrid. The people of New Zealand are no strangers to earthquakes. They prepare and they take it seriously. As do others in the Ring of Fire. That's not the case around New Madrid. That is apparently changing. But the meetings are not fully attended. The other difference is that the earthquake in New Zealand was completly natural and not a surprise. It's shocking yes. But no surprise. Residents around Guy and Greenbier may not be surprised by a big-one, but many in the zone don't think much about it. I want to change that. I've found evidence and made an argument that the gas industry is triggering faults which will enevitably trigger a nightmare scenario. Quakes that totally devesate a massive area up and down the Mississippi River. The destruction and loss of life in Christchurch is sad and my heart goes out to the people who are in shock and suffering the loss of loved ones. But it will pale in comparison to the utter destruction that will shock the whole world. The quakes in China may be comparable. May.

Puterman, I've barely been able to scan through all the posts and I feel so bad that I couldn't reply to many people. I was only spitballing when I said we should be come a political action group. I was suprised when someone took the job as archivist for the links. You already had the tech side humming.

Am I imaging it or did you just create a webpage for us here? It looks great. If you can't find three more suitable people, I'll volunteer. I'm not really comfortable running things, and I don't take direction well, and I'm difficult to get along with, and I have views that often conflict with the consensus, and I'm a bit nuts, but if that doesn't disuade you, then I'm all yours lover. I also need to be edited and kept on a short leash. I have no idea what I can really offer other than my opinion and my love for research. I like solving mysteries, and understand the way the media works. We're you suggesting someone contact RT or something? Like I said, I was speed reading.

Just give me a job and tell me what to do. I'll do my best to stay focused and will tone down my rhetoric. But I won't give up my fiestiness and determination. By the time I discovered the truth, I had already been fighting and this newest outrage only strengthened my resolve. The simple answer is it needs to be done because people's lives are in real danger. We need to support those in Arkansas, and beyond.

We start our campaign in Arkansas. We need to reach out to the communities involved and tell them we will fight for them. We are mercenaries with a heart.

Mercenaries who are obsessed by squiggly lines and reseaching geology.

Someone needs to come up with a name for us who watch the lines.
Siesmic Sentinels? Or is that lamer than even I think it is?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Magnitudes by Latitude and Depth. Sorry I don't have the facility to do a 3D version at present.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Hey everyone. As you may guess by the enclosed link... I live in the Buffalo area. As a matter of fact, I live right in the shadow of the Lewiston Escarpment, so this thread which I have been reading since day 1 is of great importance to me.

What you all may not know is that Buffalo very recently passed an anti-fracking law. While you all were talking about taking this public it triggered something. There was an Anti-Fracking environmental group that protested outside of the gas company here before the legislature voted on the anti fracking law.

This is just an idea tossed into the ring as I do not know just how active this group is or who they may know of some influence to the cause... but would it be beneficial to contact them to see if they have any ideas on how to go about taking all this fantastic info public?

Just a thought.....my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the NMFZ and with the folks over in NZ as well.

Buffalo Anti Fracking Group
edit on 21-2-2011 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: DUH moment

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Yes the (not P) S-wave is showing on the trace as a wobbly line. No clear form. That is the Christchurch 6.3.

Fracking Arkansas is ready to accept input.

frackingarkansas.wordpress.com...

Edit: This page (or set of pages) can be used as a repository of information that we want people to have access to. Whilst subjects like the NMSZ have been covered by many it would not hurt to have a page on that with reference links.

I think we should have two or three editors or contributors. If you want to be an editor I will need an email address that I can send an invite to, and you will have to create a wordpress login. If you already have one let me know and I can add you directly. This needs to be structured as a professional presentation so I would suggest no more than 3 people, but we should also discuss content. I will create a discussion page which will be passworded.

edit on 21/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

pure genius!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks

snip

Connecting the Dots
Isolated Incidents
Drawing back the Veil
We're not Gonna Take it
Anonymous
Every Man
No One
Exposers of Wizards

Talk about spit balling, you're not the only one who can come up with corny stuff, Robin.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

The way to build momentum on this is to find a whistle blower from the drilling rig site. Former or current rig employees who can post what is happening on ground zero. Anonymous but Straight from the horses mouth will get attention. Just joined wordpress for the first time and subscribed to your blog. will be coalminersdaughter there : )
Cheers to you Puterman, actions speak so much louder than words. Prayers to all in new zealand, I was way back on page 70 trying to catch up on these threads when the quake hit there.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

Originally posted by Robin Marks

snip

Connecting the Dots
Isolated Incidents
Drawing back the Veil
We're not Gonna Take it
Anonymous
Every Man
No One
Exposers of Wizards

Talk about spit balling, you're not the only one who can come up with corny stuff, Robin.

How about System Shaker

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Hmm - There appears to be no real trend here- except they are just "floating/cracking about" all in a sort of "soft" area? - hmmm - must be the depth and layer of a softer shale. There are many grades of shale.

Will be joining Wordpress tomorrow at the office.

edit on 21-2-2011 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

Then there's - "No Fracking Way"
edit on 21-2-2011 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

My vote is for System Shakers and i will write, edit, research or just read comment and inform who i can. I already have a lot of info about the NMFZ have been researching it for 10+ years.
Good night though all, got do my 8 hours tomorrow. and Thank you, this has been the most informative thread I have ever participated in. Before just a "lurker" for almost 7 years here at ATS and you brought me out of my shell..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The Greenbrier Ark. Sentinal.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NTS1960
Well I'm trying to do my part.....I just got off the phone with a Chesapeake representative. I told him I had no interest in leasing my land to them for gas drilling. Even though my wife and I could certainly use the money, I told him their $12,500.00 offer was a slap in my face and an insult because of what they are doing to my home and state. I was I was just up and running about how sick I was of my home shaking, all the roads getting torn to pieces, people being run over and killed by their trucks that are everywhere, and our ground water being polluted perhaps beyond repair when he hung up on me. I know if they can get the majority of the land owners in my section to lease to them then they can force me to lease my property to them but at least I feel I'm making a stand against them for now and I don't plan to go down quietly. Nerves are starting to get pretty frayed around here and I hope a lot more people will start taking a stand against them. I'd like to thank those who are working hard trying to figure this situation out and bring this to the public light and your concern for the people here. It's much appreciated. So Thank You and please keep up the good fight. PS: we're booming again!
edit on 21-2-2011 by NTS1960 because: (no reason given)

Your type of testimony would be just what puterman's site can use. Gather your friends and neighbours and get them to express their opinions and experiences. We in this thread are reaching out to everyone in Arkansas who has been over-run by this scurge. Your relatives and friends are our best resource. You can provide a direct link to the events. We on this thread adopt you and we are Arkansans by proxy. You're outnumbered and outgunned by the oil industry. You can use the site to gather names that may want to enter into a class action lawsuit.

If residents get involved here with us it should garner you local media interest. Even a small protest can reach the mainstream media if you grease all the right wheels and are organized. Just throwing out ideas and seeing what sticks. We've got the first ingredient. People. We are somehow organizing ourselves. We have a shiny new website dedicated to the cause. We got information. We are motivated. Now we need commitment.

I was curious about the swarm at first. When the birds and fish died I knew there was a connection and that the tracking ended when I found that first fracking pad just a short spit away from the epicenters of the swarm. I had found the cause, and I knew there was still more to the story. Until Arkansas mandates a full moritorium on all gas drilling, and until an open investigation is conducted, until that moment, I will not take my eyes off of Arkansas.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
Just checked on insurance. I'm 50 miles north of Arkansas in SW MO, about 220 miles from Saint Louis and 280 miles from Memphis. My insurance company still offers EQ insurance. What do you think Robin or PM? Should I get it while I can?

I could easily envision some significant structural damage here, what I fear most though is fire. Almost everyone here uses natural gas, I know in EQ zones like southern CA they have seismic shut-off valves or excess flow gas shutoff valves that close to prevent explosions and fires. I don't have one and I have looked around and I have not seen any of them here, I assume it would be rather pointless to be the only one on the block that had one. A fire here would jump from house to house quickly, a valve might buy me 10 or 15 minutes extra time to pack belongings though.

Thanks for the thread and all of the excellent information and valuable insight.

I don't know if I should be advising you. If it's cheap. Get it. If it's not. You must evaluate your risks. Knowing the type of soils you live on is important. And you can check the maps that show the extent of damage after the last big ones. You'll be shaking, but it may not be nearly the extent nearer the epicenter. If you lived on a rock outcrop I wouldn't worry so much. If you have a brick house, it could sustain major damage.

I'm sure an insurance agent can give you more things to consider. But it's your call.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Maybe I'd better buy flood insurance! I'm only 15 miles east of the Misssissippi river levy!
Think we are at risk here for flooding?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Yes. There was flooding during 1811/12. New lakes were formed. The whole course of the river could be changed.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

I dont know, I strongly think that from what I have gathered, that all bets will be off in a much larger scale emergency than was seen in the Katrina disaster, I am very sorry for your losses and for the trauma which your family has faced through the entire ordeal. If ever you or your family needs to talk, I am here.

I am almost 100% positive that all coordination will be geared towards continuity of the Government and of civil restraints.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by herenow
Here is a short pdf on what is used in fracking fluid. Probably not very accurate since its put out by energy in depth. I think the problem is when this fluid is used over and over, strained each time with new ingredients added and then, finally injected back into the ground.

www.energyindepth.org...

Right now we should be able to find out the fluid ingredients used for the somewhat recent leak in Michigan. Once a leak occurs they are required to disclose the ingredients. This would be nice since it would be a particular "secret recipe". And not a list of what can be in it. I am looking around for it right now. But even if we can't find it online, I wonder if the general public would be allowed to request this info?

Here is also a more detailed pdf on PA state fliuds. (warning, very long...) NY is supposed to use 200 more chemicals above the 85 used in PA. www.dec.ny.gov...

I found a lot of small bits of interesting data on fracking in the US here. Click here

January 31, 2011 | Oil and gas service companies injected tens of millions of gallons of diesel fuel into onshore wells in more than a dozen states from 2005 to 2009, Congressional investigators have charged. Those injections appear to have violated the Safe Water Drinking Act,

According to the findings, 43 gas companies operating in Pennsylvania were responsible for nearly 1,500 environmental violations between Jan. 1, 2008 and July 25, 2010.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
First let me say I am not a regular poster..nor do I have any writing skills..but I am a concerned citizen..and living in Oklahoma I do have a some understanding as to what people in Arkansas are feeling right now..as we have been having some of the same problems

One of the things I have been looking at is..Do They Know? Do they know what can happen when they do injections/fracking/pumping etc.. during oil/gas productions
I have seen several reports from oil/gas companies that there is no proof injection/fracking/saltwater disposal etc can trigger Seismic events..

Texas had the same problem a while back...SMU did a study

It is plausible that the fluid injection in the southwest SWD well could have aff ected the in-situ tectonic stress regime on the fault, reactivating it and generating the DFW earthquakes.

there are also numerous earthquakes associated with, and possibly related to, petroleum production.

SMU Study

Now what they found is the Saltwater injection seemed to be the culprit....
is there any saltwater injection going on around the area in arkansas?

There is this
Application to dispose of oil and gas production fluids by well injection...
I am sure this is not the only one

Link

ok back to DO They Know?

Yes, Virginia, There Is Induced Seismicity

AAPG Explorer article

Most induced seismicity appears to result from activities that alter pore pressure in areas with faults already under stress. “If you force fluids into it, that ‘unlocks’ the fault. These fluids can be water or wastewater, or other stuff, but the most common is water,” Frohlich said. “Studies show that most crustal rock is under stress, and if there are little faults there, they can sometimes shift if fluids reach them,” he noted. Other activities can alter the subsurface and lead to measurable quakes. That includes production activity.

Link

I came across a study about CARBON SEQUESTRATION AND EARTHQUAKES

Human activity such as building dams, mining, nuclear weapons testing, oil and gas extraction, and fluid injection can induce seismic events.

On rare occasions, however, fluid injection has induced moderate (magnitude 3.5 to 5.5) felt earthquakes that in a few cases have caused damage.

Link

A comparison of passive seismic monitoring of fracture stimulation from water and CO2 injection

It is of interest to compare the amount of seismicity that CO2 injection can generate in comparison with water.

Event magnitudes are similar in both cases, and larger event magnitudes appear to correlate with higher injection pressures

link

Induced Earthquake Bibliography

"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." William Durant

Induced Earthquake Bibliography

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I think we should MOST DEFINITELY contact Josh Fox, the writer/creator of Gasland and point him towards the web page. He already has a voice. He's already known. Whether he's liked or not, doesn't matter. The man has done a lot of his own research, has been through his own experiences, and isn't afraid to get the word out.

I would like to think he's aware of what is happening in Arkansas. But then again, he may not be. Especially the NMSZ aspect of it. That itself, could very well blow his mind!

new topics

top topics

<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join