It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Are there any volcanoes in this region. That's the most probable cause considering the fact that the quakes are centered in a primary location. Is an undiscovered super volcano sleeping there, or is this the birth of one? Could there be a mega quake looming?
edit on 16-2-2011 by shikori because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by shikori

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
reply to post by G.A.G.

Most surficial rocks in Arkansas are sedimentary, but there are some igneous rocks (with adjacent contact metamorphic rocks) and very low grade regional metamorphic rocks in Arkansas also. The most recent igneous activity in Arkansas occurred some 90 to 100 million years ago.

If that type of activity occured again.........I don't think we will be around to discuss it....

Very old .....

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Once again, I ask....These "little" quakes....ie. 2.1, 2.5, 2.2....I know there are alot, but is this cause for alarm? Or do they happen on a daily basis? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just confused to this whole matter. Please give some more info. I would greatly appreciate it.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiricusTheoricus

There were no earthquakes in this area until around August...since there have been over 700

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Could the never ending (seemingly) swarm be the release of pressure, saving us from the big one, perhaps?

I live in Louisville KY, how would a big one from Arkansas or TN effect us here?

Well, the last 'big one' on that fault system rang the church bell in Christ Church in Philadelphia...
Earthquake damage is extremely hard to predict the farther away you get from the actual epicenter.
We lived in the Bay Area for 10 years. There are things you should do... Like strap (with metal straps) your water heater to the studs, especially if its gas. Don't put any family heirlooms on high shelves... I took small dowels and put them about an inch up from the bottom of the front of the shelves on our curio cabinet. Wood putty and stain and they look like they belong! Another big no-no. Don't hang any big heavy ornemental (metal or heavy wood) pieces over your bed. That's the last thing you want to be woken up by...
Keep a flash lite in your night stand and pack your car trunk with a blanket, medicine kit, matches etc. We keep ours wrapped in plastic. We don't live out there anymore but they are good habits that we still use today.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by derek_m24
reply to post by Honor93

Just felt another quake...not as strong as the last one

Wanted to add that it seemed like the shaking lasted longer but the initial thud wasn't as strong
edit on 16-2-2011 by derek_m24 because: add info

You said you live near the Guy area in Arkansas. And that you felt another quake. Could you be more specific and give me an intersection near major highways.

Maybe even keep a log and write down the times you feel movement.

Moon is nearly full.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
]You know I wonder if this has anything to do with the BP oil spill.I mean seriously,think of how much oil came out of the ground and how much space is now void where the oil once was.Seems logical to suggest a destabilization of pressure.Just a thought..

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by derek_m24

Drat, that is my time theory out of the window then. I was hoping it had quietened down because they had stopped work.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by derek_m24
reply to post by ConspiricusTheoricus

There were no earthquakes in this area until around August...since there have been over 700

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5dbf7e47ffb4.gif[/atsimg]

This shows earthquakes over the last few decades related to the "New Madras Fault" system.

Another below showing 1975 to 1995 I think.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db00dcaddf84.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea76d78f4a1b.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no! The oil that came out in the Gulf did not leave a void. How many times do people have to be told that?

Now the strata involved are however connected so I am not saying that there is no connection but it is NOT because of a void.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
]You know I wonder if this has anything to do with the BP oil spill.I mean seriously,think of how much oil came out of the ground and how much space is now void where the oil once was.Seems logical to suggest a destabilization of pressure.Just a thought..

Not that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oil is not pumped from a void, nor does extracting it create a void. It exists in and is extracted from permeable rock layers.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Just a thought, but wouldn't the solar flares we just had on Feb 14th be a pre-cursor for earthquakes in the New Madrid zone? Isn't there some correlation? I've been trying to research, but my little ones demand soooo much attention. I may be wrong, just a thought.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I don’t have time tonight to read all 7 pages..sorry. Has anyone brought up the Homeland Security “drill” going on with regard to the New Madrid? You know, the food, water, blankets ect.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

thanks, i've since noticed those ...hadn't read all of the thread before posting
actually, the map previously posted (not sure by whom) was a bit difficult to read regarding the mining sites. the one i saw didn't seem to locate enough of the mining sites in the areas noted.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post relates to cause i'm not belittling the evidence or the possibilities one bit ... perhaps the story i linked did but i do not. I've been barking about this increased activity since Dec, at least. am just glad more ppl are finally taking notice and not dismissing the obvious.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Honor93 because: add text

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Okay, I have GEE open with a couple of stations close to the epicenters of the 3.5 today. Two quakes are rolling across now. I would guess one around 2 the other around 2.5 to 2.8

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Okay.Thanks for clarification,wasn't clear on that.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Here is a graphic image of the "quake zone" around where the Arkansas quakes are located. Make note of the locations of Beebe, the "quake cluster," and New Madrid; but could this activity forecast future geothermal increases for Hot Springs National Park and the Crater of iamonds State Park? I wonder if Arkansas and Yellowstone have a corelation, also.

Very Interesting...and please pardon my crude drawing, for illustration only. No copyright infringement is intended or inferred.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/decb137d2251.jpg[/atsimg]

Could an abundance of quartz in the area "resonate" due to other seismic influences? I am no geologist, but love asking questions...
edit on 16-2-2011 by trekwebmaster because: additional quiestions...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Wasn't saying it were so,just wasn't clear on the matter.Thanks for the insight.Question?What replaces the oil in the layers after it's pumped out?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Much bigger one just happened. getting a screen shot now

I'm a bit rusty at this....but probably 3.5 to 4.0
edit on 16-2-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

Here is the screen shot (scroll to the right for the big one)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
A pretty large quake this afternoon - 3.5 on the USGS....unless it gets deleted of course. and a 2.8 in the last hour.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join