It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 69
<< 66  67  68    70  71  72 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Has this one already been seen?

APPEAL OF DIRECTOR’S DECISION – INJECTION PRESSURE

Applicant, through the undersigned counsel, submitted an request to increase the permitted injection pressure which was within the maximum injection pressure permitted

Director Bengal informed the Applicant that he had determined that the requested injection pressure would be denied solely based on the proximity of the well to the documented Enola seismic area.

The Applicant has reentered the E.W. Moore Estate Well No. 1 and converted it to a disposal well with an injection zone in the Arbuckle Formation. The well is located in Section 22, Township 7 North, Range 12 West in Faulkner County, Arkansas.

During the course of the February 26, 2008 hearing, testimony was heard from Applicant’s expert which was undisputed regarding the potential seismicity and potential damages arising from the maximum seismicity. Further, an independent expert who appeared at the request of the Arkansas Geologic Survey, supported even further limited the potential seismicity and potential damages arising from the maximum seismicity of the Enola Swarm Area. Both Dr. Barry Raleigh and Dr. Haydar Al-Shukri agreed that the potential seismicity and potential for damages in the Enola Swarm Area are limited by the geologic features found there. Dr. Al-Shukri stated that he believed a sub-damage level earthquake is the most to be expected and that the geologic features of the Enola Swarm Area limit the potential seismic magnitude to 4.5. Finally, neither expert believed that the damages that might arise from such a seismic event would result in damages beyond broken windows or cracks in the driveway.

I guess All this shows is that they KNOW that this type of activity can/does cause quakes

Document

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by megabogie

"Arkla miraculously found more gas than it could produce?? What's that mean? And where did they find it? "

I'm guessing they found it in Oklahoma & Texas.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Man, another one. Probably around 2.8 or so

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

That's the best one yet!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
www.iris.washington.edu...

If you look at this siesmo, does it apear that there is a rythem or pulse effect? . It just me but it makes it look like build up release on a close timetable?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

It will probably still be a bit before USGS posts it, I think they were at lunch and just punched back in. It wasn't until five minutes ago that the zoomed in map of the area was still showing the morning quakes as red and happening within the last hour. Blue now.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Here is a web page for Dr. Al-Shurkri.

He has quite a list of research papers for Arkansas.

quake.ualr.edu...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Very nice find, okiecowboy! You should get a hundred stars for that, you got one from me anyway.

Seems like someone knew, eh?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I said it would move.

reply to post by butcherguy

I will wholeheartedly second that proposal!
edit on 21/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Here is the Louisiana station. Keep in mind it is a BHZ station, so it is more sensitive....but I don't think that looks like local noise, especially since I have been picking stuff up on two stations in that area. What do you think Puterman? I am going to try and find some helicorders for the state...but there doesn't seem to be much.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This is interesting, I think from 1992

"Earthquakes can be triggered by any significant perturbation of the hydrologic regime. In areas where potentially active faults are already close to failure, the increased pore pressure resulting from fluid injection, or, alternatively, the massive extraction of fluid or gas, can induce sufficient stress and/or strain changes that, with time, can lead to sudden catastrophic failure in a major earthquake. Injection-induced earthquakes typically result from the reduction in frictional strength along preexisting, nearby faults caused by the increased formation fluid pressure. Earthquakes associated with production appear to respond to more complex mechanisms of subsidence, crustal unloading, and poroelastic changes in response to applied strains induced by the massive withdrawal of subsurface material. As each of these different types of triggered events can occur up to several years after well activities have begun (or even several years after all well activities have stopped), this suggests that the actual triggering process may be a very complex combination of effects, particularly if both fluid extraction and injection have taken place locally. To date, more than thirty cases of earthquakes triggered by well activities can be documented throughout the United States and Canada. Based on these case histories, it is evident that, owing to preexisting stress conditions in the upper crust, certain areas tend to have higher probabilities of exhibiting such induced seismicity."

from here:

www.springerlink.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

If you go back and look at the photos in this post you will notice that the two frac pads are very close to the center of all of the activity. Could these two be the main impetus behind the current swarm?

What I'm wondering is could here be a butterfly effect between the man-made quakes and the NMSZ? Or maybe something like harmonics in music where if you play a note on one string of say a violin and the same string resonates on an adjacent but unconnected instrument?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
i]reply to post by herenow

That's it in a nutshell. Documented fact that earthquakes can be triggered yet seismic sensitive land in Arkansas is full of drilling. I suppose everyone has a price...unfortunately the state Arkansas is willing to pay with human lives.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This link is to a page that contains links to articles that I believe will cover just about everything you ever wanted to know about deep well injection, and probably some things you would rather not know.

answers.google.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by herenow

Thanks for that last link.

It is enough to make one sick. Liquid radioactive waste injection?

Oh, and there are rules about cementing the well heads shut. Wouldn't want any waste to escape from the water supply.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by herenow

There is a lot of really good stuff coming out now. Keep it up folks.

I want to ask a question. I can produce, from the map that spacedman linked to, an animated GIF of the earthquakes listed for each year with s red dot marking the current swarm in relation to them BUT........

It is a massive job. I have to screenshot each year, copy into paint. Mark the location of the red dot, resize the image as otherwise it would be 4MB per image, copy and paste that into an animation program. There are around 90 years and the file will stil be about 2MB for each year and that makes a total GIF of 180 MB.

Seeing as that is several hours of work, will anyone download it or am I wasting my time?

Here is a sample. WARNING this is 15MB so will take a long time to load on a dial-up.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Well I for one would download it...It would be wonderful, however don't do it just for me :-)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

OK, BTW I just checked the sizes again. To preserve the colour it will end up as 180 MB!

Still interested?

(Note: I am hoping my system can actually handle this!)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I would most certainly download it - once I am at the office. Dreaded Dial Up. Would be most interesting to see if there is migration and which ones we can pinpoint to drilling, fracking, etc. Only do this though if it is something you personally are interested in doing. I understand it's planting season in your area - I myself just finished shoveling 6 inches of snow and it was 60 degrees here 2 days ago.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

That's sounds like an enormous amount of work, but what a wonderful animated archive of earthquakes.

I would download it, just have to get myself on a wireless connection, which I can do with a bit of travel.

I remember seeing some animations from the yellowstone thread, in relation to travel and depth.

I would just hope enough folks would be interested enough for you to do that much work.

top topics

<< 66  67  68    70  71  72 >>

join