It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 61
<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Looks like a 3.3:

Earthquake Details
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 3.3
Date-Time Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 21:37:28 UTC
Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 03:37:28 PM at epicenter

Location 35.220°N, 92.358°W
Depth 2.2 km (1.4 miles)
Region ARKANSAS
Distances 3 km (2 miles) ESE (110°) from Greenbrier, AR
9 km (6 miles) ENE (76°) from Wooster, AR
10 km (6 miles) NW (315°) from Holland, AR
54 km (34 miles) N (357°) from Little Rock, AR
423 km (263 miles) SSW (207°) from St. Louis, MO

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 12.5 km (7.8 miles); depth +/- 0.4 km (0.2 miles)
Parameters NST= 24, Nph= 29, Dmin=10 km, Rmss=0.63 sec, Gp= 54°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=5
Source U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Event ID usb0001hpi

I just wish this would stop.

I want to make sure to address the poster earlier that is upset that some on this thread seem to be excited by the possible New Madrid quake. I want you to know, I am not one. I pray daily that this stops!!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hiya WestCoast.... just an observation of mine, hope you don't mind, but what you said about some people being "excited" at the prospect hit home.

As you know, I've just been through the 7.1 quake here in New Zealand - last Sept - and we're still getting aftershocks (4,500+ so far) although they are abating now.

However, an interesting observation of mine is that while people, including myself, were scared/concerned/anxious there was also, for some (including me!) an element of thrill and expectation at the "next big one". Hard to explain as the next "big one" here could be the Alpine Fault which would probably flatten my home, but still there's that element of of "ohh I'd love to be alive to see that one (and hopefully alive to tell the tale)".. it seems irrational and strange and perhaps even a bit warped but myself, and hundreds of others here in Canterbury NZ, have experienced the very same emotions.

Of course, I do hope you are safe, and worry for my friends over there.

Take care everyone.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Okay, I am back from church.

Looks like a 3.0 to 3.5 right now...anyone feel that one?

WOW...look at the siesmo on this...multiple snaps all together. worrisome...IRIS seismo
edit on 20-2-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

I saw that and thought that looked way different too. I don't watch these a lot, is that unusual?

And NOW, what is that? That rolling thing? Sorry I don't have the right terminology but what is that doing now?
Bad link, sorry, use the one in WC's post.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Cherryontop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
any idea what these waves are find it strange never seen those before

www.iris.washington.edu...
looks like masive waves

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fritzthecat

looks like masive waves

Harmonics?

Sure looks like harmonic tremors to me.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 20-2-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ

Originally posted by Fritzthecat

looks like masive waves

Harmonics?

Sure looks like harmonic tremors to me.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 20-2-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

This was my thought too. Can anyone explain how they can be getting those?
edit on 20-2-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
We just had another jolt here a couple of minutes ago. What are those strange looking signals on the Woolly Hollow seismo?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Those big rolling waved right now on GEE are the P waves from the 6.2 quake in Russia.

Amazing how it is all connected.

[Muzzy] Oops....meant moorfnz- I hear ya. I am sure people can tell I get quite excited by watching these quakes. It is not because I am excited about the possible devestation that can be caused, but just awed and fascinated by the mechanism itself. I am hoping that some day there are enough tools to predict enough in advance to save lives. But yes, the raw power of it IS exciting....while horrifying.

Edit to add: another 2.3 or so in the midst of the P waves

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I can only think it's gas/liquid venting.

Unless we've got volcanic activity in which case it would be magma movement - but I think there would have been more quake activity if this was the case.. just my $0.02...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thanks for the explanation WC.
It is truly amazing.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

LOL Moorf, not Muzzy
We're both in NZ but he's up on the North Island

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Those big rolling waved right now on GEE are the P waves from the 6.2 quake in Russia.

Amazing how it is all connected.

Thanx for the explaination
I can see the times match up.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Looks like another wee one went through at 22.36 (GEE- TA.X40A)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

OOPS...
Sorry about that, it has been corrected!!!

I have to say that I am feeling that we could very well some other activity in nearby regions soon. Like the 3.5 in the GOM. IF and that is a big IF these mounting quakes ARE leading to something bigger, we should expect to see it migrating to other pressure points.

On the topic of the New Madrid possibly being subductive (which to me just makes sense..especially considering the shear damage and movement in the last big quake there), than I would think some of these scientist would perhaps want to set up an array similar to the one we have up here to look for deep tremors. If they were to find them, than would give them the answer...BAM! Why haven't they done it? Or have they??

Here is a link explaining the deep tremors:

DEEP TREMORS

If you read the page that link takes you too, you will understand my fascination AND concern, since I live on top of it. (see my sig links)

Edit to add: and ANOTHER one...around 2.0

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

Mm, nice little quake!. You don't see them like that very often. Notice also the very wavy line underneath? I haven't verified this just I guess that is Kamchatka coming though.

I am watching by the way it is just that I am thinking about this and looking for some more information.

Actually that looks like 5 and possibly even 6 in a row. I don't think I have seen that on a seismo before. Yes just blown it up. 7 in total.

Edit: OK looks like I was way late in on that conversation then!

edit on 20/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I know Puterman....my reaction too when I saw it. Partly what led me to comment on not surprised if we see some activity elsewhere today. It seems to be building? Perhaps not....I hope not.

Anways, I wanted to run this past you. On thinking more about it being a subduction zone, I did some searching to see if there was in fact a move to set up a deep tremor array there, but so far have found nothing on it. I did, however, find this short but interesting article regarding subduction zones, quake frequency and water/viscosity.

Check it out:

This study identified a lower efficiency of earthquake production along slower moving subduction zones. The exact reason for a slower rate is not fully understood and is a matter of conjecture, including factors such as water pressure and viscosity of sediments.

Source

IF the New Madrid was actually a subduction zone, than I believe it would be the only one with active fracking and injection wells on it. The above article might lend some creadance to the HOW of the fracking leading to more seismic action. What do you think?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks Puterman. I'm thinking we need Puterman signal, it looks like this, but with a PM and a squiggly line in it.

edit on 20-2-2011 by Cherryontop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It would be possiable to back track the p wave to the timing of the event in Russia Im not to sure how to get the timings for the start and end of the wave on the seismo. The usgs sight says aprox 11 min for the waves to show up in ar. thanks Fritz

neic.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Hello I have been following this thread and have been a reader of ATS for a few years now. Just wanted to say thank you to the intelligent and informative posts. I come to ATS for the news first. Getting to the point on why I am on this thread : I live in Jackson MS. I have heard that I live on top of an extinct volcano? Just wondering if during all of this activity if perhaps it might be jolted from it's long slumber. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
For those wondering about the 'multiple quakes' on the seismo we are talking about, its this:

new topics

top topics

<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join