It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 58
<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Astounding. You told Puterman that you're too old to travel, but I think you should consider it. I'm still impressed
Just keep us posted O.K Bob. I don't like surprises and since I'm in Kentucky, it would be a huge surprise.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
looking at google earth to the arkansas swarm.... lot of peopple living there have them in there backyards...:-(
no one of them on ATS on this thread ?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Pursuing the 'the fault is dead' theory a little whilst looking for access to GPS data I cam across this study.

New Madrid Seismic Zone: Space Geodesy and Earthquake Hazard

An interesting paper than points out that movement is actually < 1mm and thus stress could take much longer to build up. At the end of the article there are many interesting links, but one in particular you should look at is this one:

Estimating the probability of large earthquakes in the New Madrid Seismic Zone

Still searching. I will report back later.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Great thread by the way. Have followed it from page one, as I have the yellowstone thread.

Anyway, here is an article from Vian, Oklahoma, discussing the import of saltwater drilling waste from Arkansas.
Also, some reference to the amount that is pumped into a well. I don't recall having seen it posted and apologize if it has. I can't open all links or videos due to my limited allowed amount of broadband.

I will continue to lurk and enjoy the amazing work you folks continue to do.

findarticles.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Checking back after the night nap............Yes there are members reporting on this thread that live in the epic zone......and have reported the quakes...........

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Just felt a decent sized one here in Little Rock...biggest one I've felt in a while

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by derek_m24

Where are the wise men here on the thread...........its showing to be a 3.7

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

It looks like the other ones in the 3.7-3.9 range. I was hoping the swarm had stopped.

edit on 20-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Robin

I am assuming that the thread became "quite" due to the lack of quakes last night..........

With that said........Seeing this latest one being close to the 4.0 range and the swarm acivity has been rather quite................Are your alarm bells going off again?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 3.7
Date-Time Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 15:14:59 UTC
Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 09:14:59 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.228°N, 92.401°W
Depth 3.5 km (2.2 miles)
Region ARKANSAS
Distances 15 km (10 miles) NNE of Conway, Arkansas
55 km (35 miles) N of LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas
60 km (40 miles) W of Searcy, Arkansas
65 km (40 miles) E of Russellville, Arkansas

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 15.3 km (9.5 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters NST= 84, Nph=113, Dmin=12.2 km, Rmss=1.2 sec, Gp= 43°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=5
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0001hhe

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

At the moment I am more curious than alarmed. If we have more strange out of place quakes like off the coast of Alabama/Florida, followed by several quakes around the New Madrid Fault, then I'll be running to the bell tower.

Oklahoma has been quiet lately. They were having swarms over the last few months. Someone just provided a link that shows that Oklamhoma has widespread deep well injection disposal. The problem is not unique to Arkansas.

I can't say that there will be a large quake in the very near future. But I will assert that the continuation of injection and fracking will one day trigger the faults in the region and lead to a devestating earthquake. Let's not wait for that. They're already posioning the air and water. That's enough to halt the industry.

Had to add. This last 3.7, if the location is correct, this quake would mean that the epicenter has migrated to the southwest. Hope Puterman can show the changes.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

After reading these threads for 5 days now, can I will make my own synopsis of everything.
Robin, You originally started this thread to bring awareness of the earthquakes in Arkansas.
Unfortunately, it appears from the threads of comments, that there are some individuals on ATS seem to actually hope to see disaster and destruction. Is an individual’s life is so dull and boring they wish to sit at their computer and watch a bunch of innocent people from mid-south get sucked into a gigantic sink hole?
So they can say “I Called it” or “Made the Prediction”.
When it comes to the bird deaths in Beebe and the Earthquakes in Guy, Yes there is an obvious connection. If it is toxic gases released due to fracking, this is yet to be determined. A moratorium on fracking has been extended to see if this is the cause.
From southern Illinois all the way down to the Gulf, the area is rich with natural resources. Coal, Oil and Gas.
The resources are there because of the same geological formation that created the faults in the first place. If we drill and blast a fault system or caldera, it seems only logical that “sh*t” is going to happen. I know from personal experience that most people involved in the oil, coal or gas business are ruthless and greedy.
It is all a Catch 22 because our current world runs on these fuels.

The moral to this story; If fuel exploration is causing these earthquakes, we truly need to put our foot down and bring this to an end.
Morals are the key.
Morals are required for selfish greedy people in the energy business to do what is right.
Morals are required by those who get a thrill out of scaring innocent people.
Action is required by those who complain. Yes, that includes Me.
I pray to God it does not require a mega quake in the center of the US to make this happen. There’s another. 3.7 at 9AM today.
If we truly wish to make our Earth a better place, Morals are required by all.
RANT: Please excuse me; I am disgusted and scared all at the same time.
Thank you Robin, for starting a fantastic, informative thread.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Are we still expecting the big one this weekend? or did I misread something?.
Lets hope everyone stays safe and this is all just a false alarm. Better to err on the side of caution maybe and evacuate the state?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

What needs to happen among other things is that the "Halliburton Loophole" needs to be closed. This shows a high level of complicity on the part ofthe federal government. Is it any wonder that there are portions of the population that think we're purposefully being poisoned?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I thought it was a bit quiet yesterday - seems today may be a different story.

Some great info this morning - like to come here and read with my morning coffee.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

edit on 20-2-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

What needs to happen among other things is that the "Halliburton Loophole" needs to be closed. This shows a high level of complicity on the part ofthe federal government. Is it any wonder that there are portions of the population that think we're purposefully being poisoned?

The Earth is already 60% Asian. If they kill off everybody in the mid-south, our Earth will be 75% Asian.
No offence to Asian people. Just fact.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by kimsie

I would have to add in that thinking, then the population of red necks would go drasticly down. lol No offence red necks. (im more like a orange neck myself little of this little of that.)

P.S. if pot is a gate way drug, Does that mean only race car drivers use it?, or would that be jockeys.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kimsie

I appreciate your comments, especially those of us that live very close to the New Madrid fault, and how meaningless our lives are for the sake of a big catastrophy to break up the monotony of some people's lives.

I am from New Orleans, now live in Memphis, and the devestation of a huge natural disaster is something that I don't wish for anyone to have to experience, trust me, it never leaves you. The suffering is unimaginable on so many levels, both for people and animals. It is what inspired me to go to nursing school.

We, the citizens, have let tptb take control of us and every facet of our lives. They did it without our knowing and are blatantly exercising their power. Many on this thread have briliantly demonstrated cause and effect, put 2 + 2 together for those of us who aren't knowledgable about these things. What are we going to do with this information? Does anyone know anyone who is in a position to intervene? Sorry, I am getting off topic, and I don't have any answers and am venting here. It's just incomprehensible to me that there are those that are willing to sacrife life for their personal benefit, whether its some power hungry idiot with a ton of money and no scruples, or the guy looking forward to having beachfront property.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I just want to thank you Robin, and all the other contributors here, for the valuable "real time" info and theories you are providing on this topic/thread. It's taken me 3 days to get through ALL the posts here, but the info is invaluable to me. I'm in central OK and after personally experiencing the Murrah Building bombing effects years ago, and the EQ on 10-13-2010 (which was reported locally, if I remember correctly, as a 5.3) I'm more apprehensive about the potential for something very devastating to occur over a large spread area in the not too distant future. I had already been awake for 6 hours when the EQ hit on Oct. 13....my 2-story house shook violently. Instinct told me it was an EQ. It rattled my nerves for a good 30 minutes afterwards! Although miraculously my residence suffered no damage, another home I co-own 3 miles away (vacant)- a one-story brick, had deep cracks in three walls of a south facing room. Unnerving to say the least, as I'm just 30 miles from that EQ's epicenter.

Perhaps OT, but I just thought I'd mention too, the fact that I've been experiencing what feels like the prelude to a tension headache for the past 6 days. This sensation has not abated....it starts from the time I wake up and lasts till I go to bed. It feels like my head is wrapped with a tight rubber band... and meds have not given me any relief. I'm thinking, could this be sensitivity to the current atmospheric and earth activities?

Again, thank you all for the great reporting and info.

new topics

top topics

<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join