It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 55
<< 52  53  54    56  57  58 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Southeastern, Kentucky - you have the Madrid at your doorstep. I moved from Central Ky last
year - homesick for the beauty and my family.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Oh and a FYI in case anyone is keeping track...

folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

1.7 2011/02/19 04:12:40 35.428N 84.499W 15.9 9 km ( 5 mi) E of Athens, TN

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Yesterday morning UTC (No idea what time that is for you) you posted 3 image of the seismographs, and I indicated these were interference.

I could not get the waveforms but I have now got the waveform for TA.X40a for 07:00 to 10:00 on 19 Feb 2011 UTC

Download here (3 MB)

This is at 50x speed.

This is the spectrum for it. You can see the noise. You can also hear it in the clip. There a few small quakes on this.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f6136d910629.png[/atsimg]
edit on 19/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

OK I'm getting yer "jist" now PM...it's been a few since my YS days...a tad rusty on picking out trash

Now I'm wondering if I should fire up my Sony Soundforge Software as well...Hmmm...

edit on 2/19/2011 by Hx3_1963 because: updates

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Nice long tremblor coming in right now. Probably around 2.0....but long.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I am sorry if this has already been explained but what is the difference between a quick jolt and and a long tremor? Also if you could explain the difference in types of quakes and their effects.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Hello everyone - things quieted down here a little in Greenbrier and I have been away from home quite a bit the last couple of days.
We just had a little rumble here.
Last night and somewhat tonight I frequently feel a gentle rolling or rocking sensation when I'm sitting still. I guess they are tremors I'm feeling?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar...I think I'll pass this one on to Puterman. He could do a much better job at explaining this than I could.

(But I think it has to do with the type of tectonics involved...and ofcourse the resulting damage)
edit on 19-2-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

Edit to add: And another one...this one a bit bigger. The moon is close to being overhead there, isn't it?
edit on 19-2-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by KathyG427

Kathy! So glad to hear from you again!

It's cool having someone right in Greenbrier to give us first hand account

Welcome back and glad everything is a bit calmer.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The 2 at :02 & :10 are fairly small I doubt much over 1's....

And...just to make this a larger post...

US Earthquake Animations - Past 7 Days
earthquake.usgs.gov...

edit on 2/19/2011 by Hx3_1963 because: updates

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I checked Stellarium, the Moon has only just risen at Little Rock

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

I noticed the moon too.. almost rising in slow motion. It's now coming over the ocean here in Florida and were an hour ahead of Arkansas...

very strange and ominous
edit on 19-2-2011 by 9Cib27 because: typo

link   
reply to post by KathyG427

Good to have you back Kathy - thanks for the update on how things are going there.

I am in hopes smooth sailing prevails.

link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

I think that everything which our Government is doing and have been setting up for quite some time has to do with pre- knowledge of this impending 'event'.

Perhaps it will clarify why so many States are opting for less Government and even succession in many instances.

When this does go down, each State will have to be responsible for their own survival and continuity. Yes we will have National Guard in some areas, but for the most part people will be on their own for an undesignated period of time.

The National Guard will step in and coordinate with emergency services, police and fire, power and transportation, but not so much directly with individuals of the civilian population.

There will be no FEMA bailouts and even insurance companies will fail which is going to cause a huge uprising once that becomes known. Banks and commerce will all but come to a halt during the resettlement of continuity, some goods and services will be transported in via Military helicopter much like we have seen during catastrophes in other places such as Indonesia, Haiti, and even our own disasters such as Katrina which was a huge learning curve for these types of operation.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Oh WOW just went out to look at our moon, it is HUGE and golden, but the most interesting thing I saw were those EQ clouds jutting out from the east towards Saint Louis from where i am.

We need to watch out Missouri...

earthquakecloudpredictions.com...
edit on 19-2-2011 by antar because: for link

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

Thank you! This is my first experience with earthquakes and it's so very weird to actually feel the earth move under your feet. I'm not sure how to describe it other than it feels like a gentle rocking almost constantly even when the Woolly Hollow seismograph doesn't record anything unusual -- or maybe I don't know what I'm looking for on the seismograph.
I drove up Hwy 285 towards Woolly Hollow State Park yesterday which is the area where most of the quakes originate. Not sure why I did as I wasn't expecting to see anything abnormal, just had to go look. I didn't see any obvious drilling rigs although on Black Jack Rd off of 285, there is a large Chesapeake well/gas site...no rigs there.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

what is the difference between a quick jolt and and a long tremor?

According to the Mrs about 90 seconds

OK, we are talking about what you see on the seismograms rather than what is felt. A quick jolt is a local quake close to the seismo. The initial 'spike' goes straight up. You may see 2 parts a small version and then a large version, unless it is right on top of the quake in the which case the spike will be straight up. This image shows on of the Arkansas ones on the 18th

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8b31679caa22.png[/atsimg]

Note that this one is done and dusted in a minute and a half.

A long tremor is when the quakes is further away and you mainly see the s-wave. In fact you may not even recognise the smaller p-wave. The longer ones will tend to be the larger ones but that is not always the case.

If you look at Papua New Guinea on this one the flat start in the p-wave and then the slowly increasing wave is the s-wave. The whole thing rolls on for more than an hour.

I f you go to This page you will find information about earthquakes and seismograms and the first link I recommend since I put it together!
It will explain exactly what happens with these waves.

Puterman *waves* and goes to bed!

Edit: Just had to add that the type of strata in which the earthquake occurs, or which overlays the quake makes a very big difference to the effect of the quake. The reason why New Madrid is potentially dangerous is not because of the size of the quake but because of the effects as it rolls around in all that shale and water getting plenty of motion going. In a nice solid rocky area it is over and done with which is why a man should not build his house on sandy ground. Mexico City has a problem in this respect. The effect of quakes there are amplified. Look up Mercalli Intensity scale. This is not the same as the magnitude.

edit on 19/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm prepared to get video and pics of the perigee moon tonight. I'll share them here if they turn out!

Kathy, that rolling sensation you are describing...how often is it? Do you hear any odd sounds outside, like rumbling or humming? How are yours and others animals acting? Any odd smells?

Thank you for contributing!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Can you describe these earthquake clouds.

What makes you think they are earthquakes clouds. Can you catch them on a camera? (Even though it is dark)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Wow, thank you.

top topics

<< 52  53  54    56  57  58 >>

join