It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Sort of proves the point really.

They are lying through their teeth. They know that injection is causing this but as I said before they will not admit it readily because of any potential compensation.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Sort of proves the point really.

They are lying through their teeth. They know that injection is causing this but as I said before they will not admit it readily because of any potential compensation.

Amen!

But at this rate, they are going to kill off millions of people, so why should they have to worry about any potential compensation.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
They know they are suspected and want to send a message out that all is well and what they are doing has nothing to do with the quakes. I didn't think they could stay silent for much longer - these jerks know what they are doing - they will be shaking in their boots soon and then maybe they will have regrets - its too late for that now unfortunately.

Any updates on quakes today - I haven't read everything as I have an appointment soon. I will be back this evening.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

edit on 19-2-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 9Cib27
Just want to point out to everyone that none of you took me seriously when I said a Perigee Moon is tonight, which rarely follows a Full Moon, which was last night. You're all looking deep into the freccing clues. I also tried telling you to look for patterns, which would better help you form a hypothesis. Fraccing has been going on for 60+ years... it doesn't just magically spark Earthquakes in PATTERNS during the years 2011. It would have been a steady increase.

I am trying to help everyone understand this because the warning signs are all here. If the area has a big one. Our entire East Coast is flooded under water. The 100 psychics that predicted this weren't psychics they were GOVERNMENT PSY OPS.

Mainstream Media began reporting on the quakes nationwide today. We will see what happens

So, may I ask, why instead of telling us what to do do you not do it yourself and present your findings backed up by facts? What patterns are you expecting? Where are we supposed to be looking for them? Why don't you look for them and tell us what you find?

We are all open to sensible suggestions and they will undoubtedly be discussed if presented properly and show effort being put in on your part.

For example I accept that I may be wrong and these earthquakes may be caused by something else but I have presented my theories and people are at liberty to tear them down - constructively and not simply by nay-saying.

If you consider fracking has been going on in this area for 60 years using high pressure injection then research that and present your findings. I suggested tight shale to you. I don't know if that is a factor here but rather than myself and many others doing all the running can we perhaps see some researched input coming back from you rather than hearsay, suggestion and innuendo?

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Puterman here you go:

en.wikipedia.org...

Hydraulic fracturing (called "frac jobs"[1] or "frac'ing" in the industry,[2] with the spelling "fracking" being common in media reports[3]) is a process that results in the creation of fractures in rocks. The most important industrial use is in stimulating oil and gas wells, where hydraulic fracturing has been used for over 60 years in more than one million wells.[citation needed] The fracturing is done from a wellbore drilled into reservoir rock formations to increase the rate and ultimate recovery of oil and natural gas.

geology.com...

How Long Has Hydraulic Fracturing Been Used?

The first use of hydraulic fracturing to stimulate oil and natural gas wells in the United States was in the 1940s. The method successfully increased well production rates and the practice quickly spread. It is now used throughout the world in thousands of wells every year.

www.energyindepth.org...

The Regulation of Hydraulic Fracturing: A Chronology
1948 Hydraulic fracturing first commercially employed.
1974 Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) enacted.
SDWA protects tap water for public water supplies and creates new programs and regulations to protect underground sources of drinking water (USDW).
Despite having been commercially utilized for nearly 25 years up to this point, hydraulic fracturing never considered for regulation under SDWA
1986 SDWA amended to regulate over 100 specific drinking water contaminants; hydraulic fracturing never the focus of debate
1996 SDWA amended to emphasize sound science and risk-based standard setting; hydraulic fracturing never the focus of debate
1997 Legal Environmental Assistance Foundation (LEAF) v EPA – arguing that hydraulic fracturing used for certain kinds of methane development in Alabama should be regulated under SDWA, without considering any legislative history or environmental impacts.
2000 LEAF challenges EPA’s decision to allow Alabama to regulate hydraulic fracturing under its Class II well program. EPA initiates its study of hydraulic fracturing.
2002 EPA releases draft of hydraulic fracturing study, concludes the technology does not pose a risk to drinking water — but raises potential concerns about the use of diesel fuel.
2003 Major operators sign memorandum of agreement with EPA not to use diesel when conducting fracturing operations near USDWs.
2004 EPA releases its final report on the use of hydraulic fracturing in coalbed methane operations.
2005 Energy Bill – House passes bipartisan bill clarifying that Congress never intended hydraulic fracturing to be regulated under SDWA
2007 Gas well in Bainbridge, Ohio causes explosion; incident blamed on hydraulic fracturing, which is rejected in subsequent investigations.
2008 Outside interest groups expand efforts to attack hydraulic fracturing in mid-Atlantic region (Marcellus Shale).
Colorado finalizes oil and natural gas production rules, which provide for disclosure to regulators of the identity of fracturing fluid constituents where there is a demonstrated need for the information subject to confidentiality requirements.
HR 7271 (DeGette, Hinchey, Salazar) introduced in the House seeking to strip clarifying language in 2005 energy bill.
Environmental groups push for restrictions on hydraulic fracturing to be added to state regulations in New Mexico and county ordinances in Colorado and New Mexico.
2009 – IOGCC passes resolution opposing hydraulic fracturing regulation under SDWA.

Like I said before, these Earthquakes are because of something bigger.

There would be some sort of steady building from the 1950's until now.

Sorry to burst your easy answer bubble.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Groan

There you go, happy now?

OK now I have forgotten what I was going to say! Mm. Oh yes. Do you not think that if they were using this to relieve pressure that they would possibly (a) do it closer to the New Madrid Fault and (2) spread it over a larger area, and (3) rather than introducing pressure they would attempt and electric trigger as that has been shown to have some effect in reducing stress?

It seems to me that by pumping at high pressure that they would be introducing stress rather than relieving it.

Just my thoughts.
edit on 19/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

If you consider it was an easy answer bubble why did you not answer it by doing some research instead of quoting verbatim from organisations who have an agenda in this issue. Some original research and details of the potential changes in fracking methods would have been a good starting point, and you did not answer about tight shale.

In addition if you are pointing to some other source perhaps you might have considered offering some sort of suggestion rather than just continually saying simply that the cause lies elsewhere. You make the point about Perigee moon, which was one of Robin Marks theories from the start. Since I never did understand what Robin was getting at perhaps we could make a start by you explaining this theory to us. In what way is this significant? You say it is rare. How rare is it and why is that significant?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
www.oerb.com...

a short video explaining the basic proceedure of fracking for those who are unsure of what this process is.

seekingalpha.com...

A description of how the current fracking of tight shale beds differs from fracking porous sites of the past and how this process has changed and adapted to allow them to free up the natural gas that was previously believed to be unattainable.

“The changes in fracing in the last four years is mind boggling,” one industry executive told me. It used to be two to four trucks and a water tank, on one acre. Now it’s at least 10 trucks, multiple tanks holding various fluids, all on about eight acres.

edit on 2/19/2011 by letthefactsspeak because: added more info

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

By the way, whilst you are considering your alternative theories you might like to consider this:

The earthquakes do not appear to be directly connected to the drilling, hydraulic fracturing or gas production in the Barnett Shale, the study concludes. However, re-injection of waste fluids into a zone below the Barnett Shale at the nearby saltwater disposal well began in September 2008, seven weeks before the first DFW earthquakes occurred and none were recorded in the area after the injection well stopped operating in August 2009.

The largest of the DFW-area earthquakes was a 3.3 magnitude event reported by the USGS National Earthquake Information Center.

Source: Geology.com

"What we have is a correlation between seismicity, and the time and location of saltwater injection," Stump said. "What we don't have is complete information about the subsurface structure in the area - things like the porosity and permeability of the rock, the fluid path and how that might induce an earthquake."

Source: As above.

So here we have geologists in a geology magazine saying that injection causes earthquakes, or to be correct that there is a connection.

The researchers and the gas company agree that the extraction techniques in themselves provoke seismic micro-waves. According to geologist Aurèle Parriaux, doctor in Geology of Engineer at the Polytechnique de Lausanne, these micro-waves can reach «a magnitude of up to 3,4 on Richter scale» so a weak earthquake, though still perceivable. However the real impact of the hydraulic fracture is still to be proven, and thus more research is needed to determine the fractures’ impact on seismic eruption zones.

Source: OWNI

So now we also have researchers AND a gas company admitting that the extraction process causes earthquakes.

Edit: Just to say that since I appreciate that it is not always easy for people to collect data unless they are set up to do so I am providing the Woody Hollow seismograms for the past 16 days (excluding today) and a CSV file of Arkansas earthquakes over magnitude 1.0 since 01 Jan 2010 up to the event today @2011-02-19T04:51:36.000Z. This will be of assistance to anyone looking for patterns or which generally has an interest in this matter. Please be advised that the CSV file may contain duplicates as I collect data from more than one source and this is not a verified catalogue. Both these links are to files on 4shared.

The seismograms
The CSV file

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Here someone can do the research and write the book for hollywood Purely fiction and speculation

Claudie Haigneré Chairwoman Universcience ... École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) SWITZERLAND.

Claudie Haigneré sound familiar?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I wish UFO videos were as politely researched as these earthquakes and fracturing, because we are getting some clear evidence on both sides

I do not know anything beyond what I believe because I am not a Geologist or Meteorologist or Fracturing Professional... I do know there are many anamolies going on right now in the universe.

If I had to pick what I want: I want fracturing to be the cause of the quakes and for fracturing to be stopped.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

Well I certainly cant disagree with that sentiment! Star for you my friend.

@bobathome

Claudie Haigneré sound familiar?

No, please enlighten. Is this a bum steer?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Hi All,

I noticed that my last post was stared but not much in the way of discussion. Am I discouraged? No, what that tells me is that it could be plausible but without more info there really isn't much to discuss.

Anyway, I took this to be a "do some research and get back to us" so I'm Back.

As I stated the U.S. gov. could have rerun the underground nuclear tests in the area. I went looking for nuclear transports or sales to the companies in question(still looking). Instead I found this. www.terrapub.co.jp... Basically it says that The presence of 50.5 g9Sr was first detected in the 20-21 February 1983 rain sample collected at Fayetteville (36'N , 94'W ), Arkansas, and it was later found that the radio activities of the strontium fractions isolated from most of the rain samples collected during the months of February through June 1983 were mixtures of 50.5-day 89Sr and 29-year 90sr. It is attributed to the Soviet Satellite that fell in the Indian ocean, However could this have been used as cover-up? Either the University assumed it was related or was told it was related or maybe I am just trying too hard.

I'll keep looking.

P.S. when viewing the above .PDF you may have to add on the Japanese characters to your adobe reader I don't know why there aren't any in the document.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

I agree with your post.
Even if this turns out to be caused by something natural, fracking needs to be stopped, or at least extremely regulated.
I would agree to limited fraching if we knew what was going into the ground and it wasn't done near active seismic zones.... Maybe.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
2 to 7 million gallons of water per frac?

And how many of these things are in the area in question? I think I remember 11 from earlier in the thread. that would be between 22 and 77 MILLION GALLONS of water. That's cubic miles of water. Where in the world is all this coming from?

??? Are you using some unknown new math technique. Or, is that just a really poor guess of how much water is in a cubic mile. For future reference there there are about 1.1 Trillion gallons in a cubic mile.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Just found this.... thought it was really interesting and thought I'd share.

c1.redgreenandblue.org...

Interested to see what you'll have to say Puterman.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone else thinks this is suspicion But it is a clip from a Bond film speaking about the danger of Fracing www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I didn't understand this perigee business so I looked it up. It is when the Earth and Moon are closest together (in case somebody else is as ignorant as me). This article states that the earth can trigger quakes on the moon, but not vice versa (because the earth is so much larger than the moon). HOWEVER, when the sun, earth and moon are aligned (this is called syzygy and happens at full and new moons) AND there are alot of missing pets listed in the paper this can be a sign of an imminent earthquake. This is according to James Berkland, a geologist in California who has predicted quakes factoring these things in. Here is the link and I apologize to all the people who probably know this stuff already. So, my next question to those on this thread who live in the affected area in Arkansas, is there a sizable listing in your local paper's lost and found section for missing cats and dogs?
news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Sorry, I did read your original post but it was late at night and time for the land of nod.

Are you saying that you think these quakes are as a result of an underground nuclear test or have I got that completely wrong?

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join