It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Puterman, you say that numbers do not matter. For the most part I agree. I am rarely suprised by increased numbers of large quakes. And the average can flucutate greatly. Cumulative energy is an important factor when putting this in perspective.

But these are medium quakes or large quakes. They are tiny quakes and the numbers do matter. For example, and I got no time to look up research right now, but near Vancouver Canada they have studied swarms of tiny quakes and they believe that these many little quakes help release the energy to prevent a bigger one later.

The problem with comparing the Arkansas quakes to other areas in the world is that these are mid-continent. They are behaving by different rules. This area is thought to be an old rift that was interupted.

I agree that more earthquakes are in fact a good thing is most cases. Like California. You can't compare Arkansas to volcanic areas either. This is unique and therefore we need to realize that there what happens in one area will influence other areas. The displacement near Guy will force an adjacent area to readjust.

At the moment I'm trying to hunt down a short You Tube video that shows the fault under Memphis. It shows a geologists using tomograph to locate the fault. I hope I can find it. This is why I believe the next rupture will not happen in New Madrid, but will happen where the old rift is showing signs of movement.

I hope the quakes stop and that some other areas has a swarm to slow release the increased load over time.
That's what I hope.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

So far today

Re permits, yes I believe they do have to have them so there should be records.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

I mentioned why I think it will be Memphis in my previous post. It's basically a ripple effect. The quakes are centered in Arkansas. This release of energy will have to be balanced out in other areas. It's crowded in the middle of the continent. It's like leaning on someone in a crowd when they suddenly move and there is a void. You fall into the void, but the void closes quickly due to the density of the crowd. You do not hit the ground. You bump into the person who fills the gap. This area is unlike the coasts.

What are those balls called that you see on office desks. You pull one back and watch the energy transfer right through the middle balls without moving them.

I can't see these earthquakes in isolation. There will be a reshuffling of the deck.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This really scares me. My husband works in downtown Memphis by the river. We live about 20 minutes outside the Memphis city limits going towards Nashville. I don't know what that means for us and our home.

Memphis USGS

edit on 16-2-2011 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Working for the Federal Government means I am privy to really interesting things.

In May, FEMA, DOJ, USGS, USMS, FBI and others are planning the "National Level Exercise 2011".

Look into it, I can't say anymore.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

But these are medium quakes or large quakes. They are tiny quakes and the numbers do matter. For example, and I got no time to look up research right now, but near Vancouver Canada they have studied swarms of tiny quakes and they believe that these many little quakes help release the energy to prevent a bigger one later.

Yes they do say that, which is another reason why when you are looking at tiny earthquakes like we have here the numbers do not matter. Don't forget that the earthquakes scales are logarithmic which is why the one 7.2 at Baja Califormia dwarfed all the 22,000+ earthquakes that followed it.

The problem with comparing the Arkansas quakes to other areas in the world is that these are mid-continent. They are behaving by different rules. This area is thought to be an old rift that was interupted.

As you know Robin I am not a geologist by trade so I cannot hold out a definite cause, nor say exactly what is happening here BUT neither can the geologists it would seem, or maybe they won't.

My feeling is that as you have rightly pointed out this is caused by fracking. Now there is only one problem with this which is it is only happening in the one area, yet they are fracking all over the place. We do get quakes in Oklahoma which I believe are caused by fracking, but in my non-expert opinion the area around Guy must be a little different and that is why there are more here.

What we actually need, and don't have at present, is GPS readings for the area. Somehow I doubt that they will be available. IF there is ground movement then there may be fault movement, but on the other hand these quakes could be as a result of the 'frackturing' (spelt that way on purpose) of the rock strata by (1) the pumping of the fracking fluid, and (2) the extraction of the gas. If you look at my Fracking 101 you will notice that they inject proppants in with the fluid which basically hold the fractured rock strata open for the gas to escape. Maybe these eventually collapse as the weight of rock bears down on them when the gas is withdrawn - I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Quakes in other mid continental areas tend to run along the fracture zone hence they have a tendency to move South to North in the Tetons, and East to West in Turkey for example. I don't think we are seeing that here as this always seems to remain in the one area.

I hope the quakes stop and that some other areas has a swarm to slow release the increased load over time. That's what I hope.

Ideally they should stop fracking and gas extraction for 6 months to allow things to settle down. They will NEVER do that as there is too much filthy lucre to be made and to hell with the consequences.

edit on 16/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I live in Central AR (originally from North Central AR) and know some folks that live and own land in the area where these earthquakes are occurring. The people that currently live in the area believe that the gas wells are causing the earthquakes. Most folks aren't aware that there was a similar earthquake swarm in the same area in the 80's.

I'm sure that fracking has something to do with whats going on but thats nil at this point. I believe these are connected to the New Madrid fault in some way. Looking at recent past earthquakes in the region there seems to be some kind of correlation to the very small quakes in Missouri Boot Heel area and the quakes in Central AR.

I'm not a geologist or anything close but I believe that when the New Madrid fault ruptures the epicenter will be further west than most believe. One would think that a lot of energy is being built up between the Boot Heel and Central AR area.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bachrk
This really scares me. My husband works in downtown Memphis by the river. We live about 20 minutes outside the Memphis city limits going towards Nashville. I don't know what that means for us and our home.

Memphis USGS

I live north of Memphis, are you seeing any unusual activity in your location? such as pets or birds acting up, or any unusual humming, rumbling or sounds coming from outside? I'm not finding either here, but would love to know if anyone else in our area is experiencing anything unusual. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Memphis USGS

Everytime I recieve a comment like yours it forces me to reassess. If this was just a gut instinct or some random thought, I'd tell a friend and I'd sit back and keep an eye on things.

But I've done some homework. I've been interested in volcanoes and over the last few years I've been reading any new research I could find. I've investigated Yellowstone and even watched the Ken Burns film on National Parks so I'd understand the history. I've learned to watch the webicorders, the squiggly lines that show you what's shaking. And I've learned a thing or two about geology and particular plate tetonics. The lingo and jargon are daunting. And statistics. To hell with probabilities. The doubt matter after the fact, and they lose mean when the odds go against you. You simply don't care.

I am not trying to scare anyone
I am not trying to gain attention to fill a person void.
I am not randomly putting together bits of information I find that seem to fit.
I am not going to shut up about fracking and my ideas concerning Yellowstone.
I need you all to take this seriously and you need to be prepared.

Is it a conspiracy for the government to plan for an emergency due to an earthquake.
No. It's a reasonable response to an absolute certainty. Somewhere in the United States of America there will be a large earthquake that will need all levels of government to provide action. Anywhere.

The most reasonable thing to do is prepare. Unless you're ready to avoid all risk and move to the safest place you can find, you must understand history and learn to plan for the future. That is what I am insisting this thread be about. Alerting the citzens who live in this region to be informed about an ongoing event that could lead to a big earthquake. The facts I am providing need to be shared and this threat needs to be in minds.

I am no expert.
I am not a geologists.
I'm obsesses by volcanoes and earthquakes.
I watch them.
And I see something odd.
Everyone needs to look.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying

Memphis USGS

I live north of Memphis, are you seeing any unusual activity in your location? such as pets or birds acting up, or any unusual humming, rumbling or sounds coming from outside? I'm not finding either here, but would love to know if anyone else in our area is experiencing anything unusual. Thanks.

Well not really anything around Fayette County/Shelby county line although I did watch some crazy massive swarms of black birds in the sky about a week ago. They looked like they had no idea which way to go. Just swirling around and around in the sky.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Thanks for your reply. Well we can't up and move but we are prepared... as best we can. Emergency supplies and such.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Next time you see the birds circling shoot a vid or a pic from your phone or camera. It could be usefull and if not i know I am always interested in animal behavior before / after earth quakes.. The birds could also be acting weird because of all the magnetic flux from the sunspot activity. Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

You want maps meester? I sell you nice maps?

The current batch of quakes is mainly in 2 areas. In area 1 I located a well

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/91b7a60a5716.png[/atsimg]

In area 2 I located a well

Well,well!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of these quakes, but I do find it comforing that if the animals are not acting erratically, at least not at the moment, then I can stand down from red alert to yellow alert, so to speak. If there is anyone else in Memphis on this thread, please if you would, contribute to any observable unusual animal behaviors, or if there is any noticable humming or rumblings coming from your location.

I will chime in that over the last month, we have definatly seen some weird bird activity around Memphis, not sure what to relate that to, possibly geomagnetic or seismic, but have seveal times witnessed canandian snow geese flying in masses towards the northeast into severe weather or flying around lost with no direction. Also there were times when my cats were acting strange for cats. For myself, I've had nausea, anxiety and heart flutters over the last few days. These are very unscientific observations, but, I do really feel they are significant indicators of what is occuring within and around the planet. I normally get nausea before an earthquake occurs somewhere, normally not associated with small quakes under 3.5. I hope and pray it's related to those pacific quakes yesterday.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Don't want to frighten people with dates.
edit on 16-2-2011 by 9Cib27 because: Removed my own mistake.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 9Cib27
Guys I don't want to scare anyone with predictions or prophecies but

May (5) + 18 + 2 + 0 + 1 + 1 = 27 (Twenty Seven) (XXVII)

Wouldn't be around the quake zone May 18th.

I am not to hep with the numerology thing.

Could you explain that? U2U or whatever.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Not in Memphis but I'm really close by. I have an Akita that always knows if somethings up. She is laying in the bedroom sleeping right now.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

Huh?

So it equals 27?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

Don't mean to be rude but could you explain that in English?

27 = 18????

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I found an episode of Mega Disasters. The videos are terribly out of sync. The show is very dramatic. But I wanted to show you is the fault under Memphis.

Start around the 3 minute mark.

www.youtube.com...

If you can handle watching the whole video here's part 1.

www.youtube.com...

When I've checked on the history of the 1811/12, some accounts talk about bright lights coming up out of the ground. And they talk about strange vapours. This would be methane gas releases. Some of the methane would combust giving off a flash of light.

Blackbirds often fly around in large circles and shift directions in unison and look unusual but it's very normal.

What's not normal is 5000 birds falling from the sky. Let us not forget the bird kills in Arkansas. It's connected.

And don't forget the fish. There were two gas ruptures around New Year's. One in the river in the northwest of the state. One was near a flock of birds around Bebee. The noise panicked the birds.

Between these two events sits a large natural gas field with lots of fracking. And in this area of fracking, we have an ongoing substaintial swarm.

I started watching the area before the animal kills. I never took my eye off the ball. Unlike the media. The story was finished. And it still isn't

For those that don't know, Puterman and me often debate and end up on opposite sides of many issues. I appreciate all his input and am enthusiatic about him posting here. I need the counter-balance. I am sloppy and he brings needed organization and data which need to be weighed when examining the events. For this I am grateful. The funny thing is that you both agree on the cause of these events. That ought to tell you something.

I can't believe I called myself a writer. I'm so sloppy I screwed up my opening sentence. I wrote, "Let me start by saying the I am a writer first." I obviously meant to write,

Let me start by saying that I am a writer first. A sloppy writer who doesn't look back and rarely edits. I don't have time. Forgive all the mangled sentences and errors. I'm sure you'll get the gist of what I'm trying to express.

Now that the quakes have paused for station identification, I can go do some chores. I wasn't even supposed to be home today.

Last thought for a bit. If I had any hope, it would be that someone passes this information onto groups that are fighting against fracking, and to the producers of Gasland. I think my hypthesis needs attention. I would email them and post my stuff elsewhere but I am unable. I focus on writing on this thread and watching the squiggly lines. Everyone needs limits. If you are concerned, then speak out and pass on the facts.

Puterman, I think it's happening in this region because of the sand.

I accurately predicted the second largest swarm in Yellowstone's history. I got it right down to a matter of hours. I even had to correct the YVO on the start of the swarm. They had it wrong on their website. If there's any doubters, just ask Puterman. And if someone insists, I'll dig back and find my posts from December 2010.

What troubles me, is that there is going to be an interesting moon in March. But I'll stop there and stop myself from being sidetracked.

The case here is not who done it. It's, what have they done?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join