It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 288
<< 285  286  287    289  290  291 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Adding to the fracking discussion b/c I've followed this thread for quite a while now. I found this article and wanted to share:

Like Fracking? You'll Love 'Super Fracking'

A few excerpts:

“I want to crack the rock across as much of the reservoir as I can,” says David A. Pursell, a former fracking engineer who’s now an analyst at Tudor Pickering Holt in Houston. “That’s the Holy Grail.”

Baker Hughes has set its sights on creating “super cracks,” a method of blasting deeper into dense rock to create wider channels. The aim of the technology, branded as DirectConnect, is to better concentrate the pressure of fracking fluids to reach oil or gas farther from the well bore, which existing methods fail to do as effectively.

Seismologists and academics doubt that fracking itself has caused the quakes. “The fracturing process is not causing the problems that are perceived by the public,” says David B. Burnett, director of technology at Texas A&M University’s Energy Institute. He also says the wider or deeper fractures that result from super fracking won’t create bigger environmental problems. “No change in fracturing technology would change that,” he says.

It seems fracking companies are upping the ante and going all in.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I can't read this article. I've shut off the fighting part of my brain. I'm not fleeing. But I ain't fighting.

www.chron.com...

Arkansas has been hit badly by storms again. Hope everyone is alright. Take care.

edit on 23-1-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

The article you post is an example of how anyone that speaks out against making money (fracking), is going to be labeled a "crack pot". Science and money have joined hands.
I totally agree with you, it appears resistance is futile. Please hang in there everyone. Going to be a rough ride ahead.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Just to let folks know this thread has a Resource Bibliography. It is enough to have a dissertation, lol. www.abovetopsecret.com... Go to 6-9-2011 posts for the most current update. It lists all the resources used in our discussion and research that's been going on since Feb last year. Wow almost to an anniversary and the momentum keeps going on and on. We have been working long and hard on this thread and its amazing to see how far we have already come. Makes each day forward a little less daunting when you look at it that way.
A big BIG thanks out to getreadyalready. I was looking over the bibliography and found the entire first half of the list was blocked out. There were some issue with some references. He helped resolve them and indicated where on my word doc the correction needs to be made. He even put the two halves back together, too. Kudos to getreadyalready, you are da man!

Hope all is well with all our regulars and kindest regards to those just joining us. As with any post be sure to leave me outside links to maps you post and links to online resources. Hopefully, this will be a quiet year for the New Madrid and if it isn't I hope to God it is not because of FRACKING!

Respectfully, SunflowerStar

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hi folks,just popping in for a moment to direct your attention to this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A community based FEMA website to voice your ideas.

Thanks,
K

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Anyone been having those feelings pressure in ears nausea headaches feelings of doom that we were having with all the swarms and when Japan had their big quake?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ur44lois

Yes, I've been posting in another thread about having those symptoms as well. A few others are reporting the same symptoms and we all agree it feels like something is building.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ur44lois

Same as posted above, been happening since the beginning of the month on and off.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Recently I was feeling that pressure change and ringing, in my ears. Startled me a bit, as this otherwise only occurrs with an elevation change, as I recall. It came on one maybe two times. But seemingly for no reason. Right now I'm bored on a Sunday night and decided to see why this thread was atop 'My ATS'. Geez. Egads. I found out. Well, maybe it means nothing and is just a coincidence.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Good morning all:

4.0 SOUTHEASTERN MISSOURI36.85°N -89.41°W 5Km Deep 2012-02-21 09:58:43 UTC2012-02-21 03:58:43 LOCAL USB000834R

New Madrid Seismic Zone

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Time to load up GEE! But won't be able to till I get mom back from the drs. I will have the rest of the day off after that. Hope its an anomaly and not a preshock. Stay safe friends, and post what you find. Will start observing this afternoon when I get back. Will message around and give a heads up.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

Yep.. They have started to discuss it on our local news (Memphis)...appears that even though it was at 4:20am, lots of people felt it.

Shake. Rattle. Roll.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Did not feel it in St Louis.

I am posting in every thread pertinent to this that this quake hit just after a weather system went through rapidly.

I won't repeat all I posted but;
The area is geologically active. The last few winters have been tough (and a warm winter is just as tough as a very cold one).

Watch for seismic activity just after a rapid front moves through. I think maybe Friday.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hey guys, I'm looking for a link to the real-time webis for the area. I can't seem to find it!

I think it was something 'tree'.....

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Link to the UoM if that helps you any?

University of Memphhis Earthquake research

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. But I'll link them just in case!!

Arkansas Seismic Network - Recent Helicorder Displays

University of Memphis - They have one listed as "Marked Tree"

OiO
edit on 21-2-2012 by OneisOne because: add link

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Thanks guys....those are it. The marked tree is the one I was remembering.

Seems like so long ago.....

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by OneisOne

Thanks guys....those are it. The marked tree is the one I was remembering.

Seems like so long ago.....

Let us know your thoughts because I for one do not have any idea what to really look for. Can you tell us if it is still busy/noisy because it sure looks that way??

ETA: Also...I feel as though I need to say this. It may seem like nothing but I want to put it out here anyway. Yesterday we were driving home from St. Louis, Missouri. We had a hockey tournament all weekend. So...yesterday as we were driving home I was not feeling good. Looking out the window I saw a glowing ring around the Sun. It looked like a rainbow circling the Sun. There was a plane that had left a trail coming down over the Sun and going down South a ways. You could see the shadow clearly...so dark was the shadow.....I don't know how to explain it but it looked as if the Atmosphere was really glowing too. It lasted for about an hour and then it began to look more normal. Just thought I would share the experience and how it seemed odd at the time.
edit on 21-2-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Dutch is worried about "plumes".
I see this thread is one year and half'a month old now, but I can't shake the portentious suspicion that someone(s), with their certain kinds of technologies, has been trying to set something off. Mother nature doesn't always like to co operate with powers that be, as she is more powerfull than they (and moreso, unpredictable..)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

They are controlled burns that the forestry service is doing this week, not volcanic plumes.

top topics

<< 285  286  287    289  290  291 >>

join