It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 286
<< 283  284  285    287  288  289 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Bibliography to this thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Just discovered some interesting info on an oil company that was concerned about fracking in Oklahoma and earthquakes.
Hopefully more to come.
edit on 20-11-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

Like some insider info.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Just discovered some interesting info on an oil company that was concerned about fracking in Oklahoma and earthquakes.
Hopefully more to come.

Like some insider info.

Ok,check this out from an engineer with oil companies.

3.bp.blogspot.com...

www.texassharon.com...

www.texassharon.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

As Neo said, "whoa."

You better save those before they get pulled. Burn them to CD, print severagl'hard copies and distribute them amongst many people.

Edit to add

I just posted a comment to the blog you linked to which was a mashup of a couple of my posts here. Et's see how that is received shall we?
edit on 20-11-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: added edit thingy

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I like this comment........

He also said that he didn’t expect any problems from the quakes because “…most are happening in the middle of nowhere where the drilling is going on.”

Everything's fine.

The epicenters of the quakes were at different depths – another indication that they are not fault-based and instead are caused by the drilling, Al-Shukri said.

“When someone extracts oil or injects a lot of fluid into the subsurface, it causes a tip in the balance,” he said. “These quakes are the result of that imbalance.”

Did someone from here write this??

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I just read your comment on that blog.
Excellent!
That should make their heads spin.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Robin, come back soon. We are keeping your seat warm for ya doll.

Miss you much, love and prayers.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Hi all!
Not sure where to post this but I figured 1) there is a lot of excellent info on this thread about fracking & 2) I'm a newbie without the mandatory # of posts to start a thread, this most excellent thread would a great place to share what I've found.

First - I haven't seen anyone mention the Transco natural gas pipepline explosion in Alabama; MSM is keeping it low key with only local media covering it so far. Yes it's not exactly fracking, but the gas from fracking has to be transported somehow right? And yes it was rural and no one was hurt - but I live in a rural area
Considering the potential for wildfires - yikes. Link 1 Link 2 NBC

Then there's the natural gas pipeline failure that resulted in an explosion that did hurt people and leveled some houses near Glouster, OH around 16/17 Nov 2011. This pipeline was in yet another explosion

But authorities said that a visual inspection suggests that the pipeline failed at a weld similar to those that caused problems, including an explosion and fire in northeastern Ohio, in February and March. The high-pressure pipeline, three feet in diameter, runs from Kentucky to Pennsylvania.
Wall Street Journal Link

The Ohio pipeline:

The pipeline was a 36-inch carbon steel pipe, built in 1963. The last time it was given a hydrostatic strength test was in May 1971, Soto said. The last in-line inspection was in June, and in March the company did an aerial inspection of the line to check for leaks, he said.
Source

So that kinda begs the question - all these new wells, all this "new" gas, and it's going where exactly? Thru pipes they haven't bothered to physically eyeball and test since 1971???
Did I read this wrong or am I missing the boat completely?

And if that's not enough to get yer goat, here's the latest hype on Wall Street, a "new" place to invest since the housing bubble burst and they gotta find somewhere new to dump all that money they've just got hanging around How To Invest In The Shale Gas Boom I just luv this:

If all goes well, this new technology may even lead to an American industrial renaissance and opportunities for tremendous profits.

"Industrial renaissance"?

Shale gas is unique because, for now at least, it is 'stranded' here in the continental United States. At the moment, there is no way for this gas to be sold on the world market. However, the country's first liquefaction plant, which will allow liquefied natural gas (LNG) to be exported is now under development by Cheniere Energy (NYSE: LNG) in Louisiana. Since natural gas is stranded and there is so much of it, it is much cheaper here than in other parts of the globe. The cost of natural gas in the U.S. is now half what it was just three years ago. In comparison, natural gas prices in Asia are three times higher than they were three years ago.

"Industrial renaissance" = Oh I get it: trash my well water, my land, my house, my local infrastructure, so you can make more money than god selling it to China. Right. Not.

Hey my friend, welcome to the new age version of the robber barons.

BTW: Williams Companies owns the pipeline that blew most recently.

And the last straw: Coming soon to a backyard near me

Dozens of protestors gather in NC capitol against “fracking" bill
talking about fracking off shore NC no less. The area they want to drill near is a National SeaShore with way sensitive environmental habitats
Source Charlotte, NC

And just in time to thicken the pot:

BLUFFTON, S.C. — Newt Gingrich says seaports in both Savannah and Charleston, S.C., need deeper harbors so they can handle supersized container ships.

Uh-huh --to ship all that "new" LNG to China, right Newt?

the Republican presidential candidate says he'd pay for the projects by increasing offshore drilling for natural gas.

Source

Newt buddy, last time I checked you didn't live in the Carolinas, but thank you for being so considerate as to share the wealth with your neighbors here; like we'd see any of it.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest; if I need to post this somewhere else please let me know where! Anyone wanting to start a Carolina fracking thread I'll back ya with all the research from every bunny trail I can get my paws on.:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SCGrits

First off,welcome scgrits.
Being I originate from SC,I must say,I didn't know they were doing that in my home state.
How dare they!!!!!!!
Great post,I am off now to look into this.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Hey there Kdog! Yup, it's getting a little too close to home for my taste. Even if there isn't shale here in SC, or a gas dome off our coastline they'll still have to transport it to Charleston somehow. Bad enough we got stuck with the nuke waste at the Savannah River Site, now this bad boy is rearing it's ugly little head.

Oh and in keeping with the theme of this thread, ya would think the dern fools conveniently forgot about that historical quake that just about leveled Charleston??

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SCGrits

Well,arn't you all up in the koolaid there.
Lived in Charleston for 10 years,but from Lexington.
In Kentucky now,but hopefully will move back home soon.
If you think about it,when you hit your 20 posts,start that thread.
K

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SCGrits

Salutations and welcome to the forums! Great post and I assure you that the content is indeed thread-worthy on its own. I will be looking for that thread soon!

There was a similar incident in my area, without the explosion, thread found here.

I also have a couple of threads regarding pollution here about refineries in Port Arthur, Texas and here about BP in Texas City which are both local to me.

For fracking related groundwater pollution, see the "EPA" thread in my signature. For general earthquake information, you won't find a better resource in the net than Quakewatch 2011 (be sure to be on the lookout for Quakewatch 2012 when it gets posted) and then there is the megamonster Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake thread about the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant disaster.

There's more to be found here too, so feel free to browse around and don't hesitate to u2u with a question once you hit your 20 posts. At the rate you're going it will be real soon and I for one am looking forward to more of your contributions!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Why thank you! I really enjoy reading your posts also. Sorry it took so long for me to respond back - got lost down another bunny hole! I'm getting real close to the magic number so I'm starting to wrangle my ducks together into some sorta coherent line that will make at least a wee bit of sense.

Anywho...seems mother nature and Charleston, SC are putting their 2cents worth in:

2.2 2011/12/07 09:48:54 32.942 -80.132 3.2 8 km ( 5 mi) SSE of Lincolnville, SC

USGS

Yeah I know--tiny, but...

BTW- "Lincolnville" is Btwn Summerville and Goose Creek, which is just NNW of Charleston, SC They've got a couple of known faults there, I just can't get my hands on my notes right now to give the names.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SCGrits

Oh,wow!
I use to live right there at Dorchester Road and Ashley Phosphate.
Like a mile from there.
You know,that Charleston quake was pretty big,I just hope nothing is coming soon.
Thanks for that scgrits!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Merry Christmas Everyone and Happy New Year!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Hi Susan...same to you hon...hope you have a shake free New Year as well! ((cyber hug))

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Let's hope the new year is uneventful. Without any fear.
Have a Merry Christmas- Happy Holidays.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

www.vancouversun.com...

Oklahoma shuts off- Arkansas starts up.

MAP 1.7 2011/12/22 01:16:49 35.365 -92.265 4.9 5 km ( 3 mi) WSW of Quitman, AR
MAP 2.1 2011/12/21 07:09:23 35.363 -92.274 6.7 5 km ( 3 mi) WSW of Quitman, AR
MAP 2.3 2011/12/21 06:55:21 35.362 -92.270 6.4 5 km ( 3 mi) WSW of Quitman, AR
MAP 1.9 2011/12/21 04:39:06 35.352 -92.262 3.8 5 km ( 3 mi) SW of Quitman, AR
MAP 1.9 2011/12/21 03:53:32 35.375 -92.273 5.5 5 km ( 3 mi) W of Quitman, AR
MAP 1.9 2011/12/21 03:34:17 35.382 -92.280 4.6 6 km ( 3 mi) W of Quitman, AR
MAP 2.1 2011/12/21 02:36:50 35.366 -92.262 5.5 4 km ( 3 mi) WSW of Quitman, AR
MAP 2.7 2011/12/21 02:05:57 35.365 -92.255 4.6 4 km ( 2 mi) WSW of Quitman, AR
MAP 2.5 2011/12/20 16:55:31 35.367 -92.285 5.6 6 km ( 4 mi) WSW of Quitman, AR
MAP 2.0 2011/12/18 22:00:47 35.465 -92.226 1.6 9 km ( 6 mi) N of Quitman, AR
MAP 2.1 2011/12/18 21:42:43 35.465 -92.251 1.8 10 km ( 6 mi) NNW of Quitman, AR
MAP 1.8 2011/12/18 13:56:18 35.464 -92.199 0.1 9 km ( 6 mi) N of Quitman, AR
MAP 2.0 2011/12/18 11:34:29 35.465 -92.241 0.1 9 km ( 6 mi) NNW of Quitman, AR
MAP 1.9 2011/12/18 09:31:26 35.463 -92.231 3.3 9 km ( 6 mi) N of Quitman, AR

Ohio again.

MAP 2.4 2011/12/24 06:24:57 41.133 -80.684 4.9 3 km ( 2 mi) SSE of Girard, OH

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It appears that "fracking" is coming to my area. I am not seeing much opposition to it from the local residents of this small Southern Illinois town. Beginning tomorrow I intend to flood our local papers and television stations with the dangers of this practice. Robin, since this is your thread I am asking if it is ok if I direct our local media here. I understand that the thread is not based, entirely on fracking, but there is a lot of great information here.

www.wsiltv.com...

Environmentalists Concerned About Fracking in Saline Co.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

Drilling in Saline County, Illinois is reckless lunacy. The area sits on the southern end of the Wabash Valley Siesmic Zone. It sits between Wabash and the New Madrid Seismic Zone. If there is indeed an ancient thwarted rift under the Mississippi, then it is possible they will eventually be drilling right ontop a giant dormant fault. It's as if there's a long serpent dragon sleeping in it's lair, and we are poking it with a very large stick.

I have come to understand why I am reluctant to write sometimes. It's because it can be very depressing. The trickle of news stories about fracking is now becoming an approaching flash flood. The whole issue gets my blood boiling. When I asked myself how can the geologists allow drilling on a fault, I was reminded of the answer when I saw a picture of a fracking truck with device used to send waves into the earth to look for gas. The geologists are profiting along with the industry. The relationship is too close. Incestuous.

At one point, I think we discussed the BBC doc, The Core. Or I am imagining a discussion I had with myself. Regardless, here's a link of it on You tube.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 25-12-2011 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Just giving this a bump to keep it on my list.
A little fact I came across,if it hasn't been addressed yet.

Earthquakes induced by human activity have been documented in a few locations in the United States, Japan, and Canada. The cause was injection of fluids into deep wells for waste disposal and secondary recovery of oil, and the use of reservoirs for water supplies. Most of these earthquakes were minor. The largest and most widely known resulted from fluid injection at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal near Denver, Colorado. In 1967, an earthquake of magnitude 5.5 followed a series of smaller earthquakes. Injection had been discontinued at the site in the previous year once the link between the fluid injection and the earlier series of earthquakes was established. (Nicholson, Craig and Wesson, R.L., 1990, Earthquake Hazard Associated with Deep Well Injection--A Report to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 1951, 74 p.)

1967,uh.
It is funny that they,the USGS,doesn't have any current info,unless I missed it in my search.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

What happened to Robin?
edit on 30-12-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 283  284  285    287  288  289 >>

join