It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 271
<< 268  269  270    272  273  274 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I've been following this thread for quite a while now but first time posting. I'm guessing you all may already be aware of this but the USGS has "officially" acknowledged that human activity can cause earthquakes and specifically referenced injection wells.

Human Activity is officially Acknowledged to Cause Earthquakes

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by daxpax

And that's just the stuff we know about. I'm sure there's more examples that have been swept under the rug.

+254 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tmiddlebrook35

is M8 suggesting a mag 8?

Where?

And where are you located?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12

what the ????

That sounds ominous as heck...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Okay, everyone here is a skeptic especially when someone signs up to ATS only to post some vague threat... but we also know there are sometimes legitimate issues and concerns that do arise.

You did just join today - so you lack credibility in this crowd - as do I You spoke so vaguely that no one knows what you are talking about. Any chance you can give a few more details????

The subject was M8, so would I guess correctly that your work involves earthquake assessment or just emergencies in general? (FEMA, NOAA, TWC, Local EM) If it is earthquake related, is it related specifically to Arkansas or Mississippi since you posted it in that old thread. Does it have to do with fracking?

Oh, nevermind, too many possibilities to try to guess it out! Hope whatever it is, it isn't that bad!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Let's dig in to this and see if we can shake anything out.

...The computer model was generated under NASA's QuakeSim project, a computational framework for modeling and understanding earthquake and tectonic processes. QuakeSim focuses on deformation of Earth's crust, which can be measured using airborne and spaceborne technologies. The models and data can be used to better understand earthquake hazard, stress transfer between faults, and ground disturbance following earthquakes.

QuakeSim, a collaboration of JPL-Caltech, USC, UC Davis, UC Irvine, Indiana University, and NASA Ames, is sponsored by NASA's Advanced Information Systems Technology Program through the Earth Science Technology Office.

source

So we know for a fact that JPL works with quite a few groups studying earthquakes.

QuakeSim

We are forming a community-led InSAR Working Group dedicated to the advancement of radar remote sensing research. The potential of a robust InSAR observational capability has generated strong interest amongst the research and applications communities. The role of InSAR spans a broad spectrum of end uses including crustal deformation science related to earthquakes, volcanoes, hydrologic processes, ice sheet and glacier variability, vegetation structure, and disaster management. Long-term access to InSAR data will greatly advance our understanding of how these basic processes affect life on Earth. Consequently, the US scientific community should devise a long-term strategy for US InSAR activities, including the funding of dedicated US InSAR satellites, access to foreign SAR data, and continued education and advocacy for InSAR science.

More JPL stuff of interest

This report summarizes the major findings of a symposium attended by 260 scientists and engineers in an effort to guide U.S. efforts in Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR), a critical tool for studying dynamic changes of the Earth’s surface and natural hazards associated with these changes. InSAR observations provide critical and otherwise unavailable data enabling comprehensive, global measurements to better understand and predict changes in the Earth system. The InSAR Workshop was funded jointly by NASA’s Earth Science program, the Geosciences Directorate of the National Science Foundation, and the U.S. Geological Survey. We hope that these and other agencies heed the call for a coordinated InSAR program to address these important research questions

From a report dated 2004

More:

Natural hazards. SAR interferometry has demonstrated valuable information for monitoring and predicting or forecasting a variety of hazards, from air, water, and earth. Large-scale hazards generated in the Earth include earthquakes and volcanic eruptions; each is driven by tectonic forces within the Earth’s crust. Observation of deformation from subsurface flow of magma and of the accumulation of strain within the crust is needed to be able to understand these great forces of nature. More localized, but often intense, hazards include landslides, mud flows, and land subsidence or collapse due to natural or human removal of subsurface material or fluids and permafrost melting. Flooding is the most damaging hazard in most areas, from rainfall, snow, and ice melting, and natural or human-made dam collapse. In coastal regions, hurricanes, intense local wind events, shore erosion, and oil spills are major hazards. Finally, fire in forests and other vegetation is a major hazard in many areas. For each of these hazards, InSAR has proven a help in assessing damage after the events and evaluating the risk of future events by understanding and monitoring the processes involved

Source

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I read "the post". I haven't read any of the following posts. Want to keep a clear mind. Won't check my email either.

If you respect my opinion, give me some time to give it before "we" jump to any conclusions.
Wait.
I quite expected a brainteaser at this point in time. Don't ask.
First order of business is skepticism. And analysis.

I've ticked off lots of people so don't be a fish and bite before you think it through.

Remember, Don't Panic
and remember a towel.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Dear tmiddlebrooks,

I am about the most opened minded person on the planet. Many here will tell you that I have the ability to think outside the box.

You may notice I use my real name. I'm not suggesting you do the same. I'm just making a point of it.
I'm not convinced of anything. I have so many questions, that it makes it impossible to conclude anything.
I'm really with a clue.
A hard fact.
One I cannot deny. Oh, I would believe anything, if there's was that one cold hard fact. There is nothing here.

So, convince me. Convince and then I'll express more.
Otherwise, I suggest everyone here keep an open mind and wait.

I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could make me believe.
But that will be impossible with truth. And something I can check.

Hell, you can be somewhat cyrptic if you want. But it better be obvious after I decode it.

I got problems with your opening statement. Some of it doesn't add up. Maybe I've got the wrong impression. Maybe not.

Convince me.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I agree. This CAN'T be for real. First off, the location of the post indicates "jpl in pasadena". Nothing is a buzz there, trust me. If there was some looming information, I would know about it. Secondly, and most importantly, no current study ever provides short term "EQ Prediction", at least not yet. There are many systems, (mentioned above in various posts), that are actual real-world EQ research programs happening right now. None of which provide information that would be "shocking" with regards to looming short-term predictions. And let me clarify, "short-term" is never within months. True, some RD have provided somewhat short-term results, however the ranges are consistently within years and give a wide range. JPL and many organizations are not in the business of predicting earthquakes, but that's exactly what they do, just not in a short term dated manner.

I call it a bluff, unless you reveal your identity or some source of inside information.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I said don't panic.

The men in the following clip did not panic.

www.youtube.com...

I don't what the hell you call it, but it wasn't panic.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

We can understand you being reluctant to give out some information, but we are all willing to hear what you have to say based on facts, please give us something that we can seriously investigate. I can assure every member on this list will be investigating what you think you may have uncovered. You could be talking about yellowstone or another super volcano getting ready to erupt for all we know. Why choose the Arkansas thread and what significance does this have to Arkansas other than the New Madrid fault? Is there something that you are aware of military wise or something to do with the BP Oil spill?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Glad you're still around Robin. I saw in WC's thread that you are going to be away for a bit. I wish you a wonderful time away from the computer. But I have to be honest and say that I will indeed miss you while you are gone. I always look forward to your posts, your reasoning and your thoughts.

Stay safe, my friend. Enjoy your time away and I look forward to your return! Love you, Robin.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmiddlebrook35
I have no idea where or how to really draw attention to this post. never done this before and would be fired on the spot for doing this, but i want to go on record somewhere before this all happens. this is the first spot i found where i could post. this is an email exchange from my boss regarding some research from an organization that is connected to jpl in pasadena, ca. this place is a buzz right now with new info. i've had to protect identities so i x'd out names and emails, and i don't exactly know what the info is. I've also put a dotted line between each email. the chain is backwards so read from bottom up. the came in last night. sorry, doing this quickly.

Subject: Re: M8

Just got here. Heading to (XXXX) office now. Current calcs in hand... hope it's not on the larger end.
Meet me in there.
-----------------------
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM, xxxxxxx wrote:
Absolutely. I'm concerned that we may be jumping the gun? do we NOT say anything and let it play out for another week or two?

We knew this was a possibility..

We're for sure, right?
------------------------
On Aug 25, 2011, at 4:55 PM, xxxxxx wrote:

Ugh. None really. We have to think this thru and make sure to not send alarm bells.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
------------------------
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 4:54 PM,xxxxxxxx wrote:
Is the plan to send an alert or something? What protocol do we have for this anyway?
------------------------
Afraid so. Just spoke to (XXXX), we’re gathering shortly to discuss. On my way in now.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
------------------------
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM, xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi A(XXXX),
Did we really just get this report??

Okay....I gave you your own thread. perhaps you can now give us a little more info???? Please?

Link to thread
(Hope no one minds....
)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

If you read what was posted, you would have noticed it was RE: M8, or in other words, the Lagoon Nebula, or the interstellar cloud in the Sagitarius constellation. Apparently, one of their 'projects' has some new data that has them all concerned. That could be anything about temperature to constitution to contents of this interstellar cloud that could be harmful to the earth?? Sounds like they have been working on this for a while and they don't want to create panic without proper proof and timing??

Just throwing thoughts out there about what it is about, but pretty sure M8 is the Nebula.

Also, JPL is Jet Propulsion Laboratory in CA, with NASA.
edit on 26-8-2011 by MountainEnigma because: Added info.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jalosangeles2011

Secondly, and most importantly, no current study ever provides short term "EQ Prediction", at least not yet

you're just talking for the public mainstream science...there is a thing we call "black budget"

reply to post by MountainEnigma

...the way you're thinking is right but not the details...M8 is maybe a codeword or machine...

enough said...
edit on 26-8-2011 by Hessdalen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Do you think it's related to this?

The recent North Carolina earthquake may have resulted from shifts in pressure caused by the early stages of hurricane Irene. Regardless, of whether this was what caused the North American tectonic plate to shift westward or some other dynamic, the fact remains that it shifted west. As a result, it is quite possible that pressure has been added at the west and southwest edges of the North American plate. While the east coast braces for hurricane Irene, the west coast could be brewing its own catastrophe. Read more: scienceray.com...

What earthquake in North Carolina?
edit on 26-8-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
EDIT #2: Oops, sorry i see while I was editing there was another reference by 'MountainEnigma' already linking to Messier 8!

........................................................................................................................

M8 most likely refer to Messier 8 which is a star forming region in the Lagoon Nebula.

Connect the dots from JPL to WISE telescope which since January this year often scanned the Laggon Nebula - I would rather bet this is 'just' an interesting find on Messier 8. What?

At present there are some hype running in Astronomical circles about M8 region but I do not yet get more details. During month of September WISE telescope will be most active on Lagoon Nebula. all I know for the present is that in May they observed a (yet unknown) action between Hydrogen molecules/clouds and cosmic radiation from a supernova. THUS: What you refer to above might just be a soon to be anounced discovery based on Messier 8.

Well, there is a scary part in all of this. Messier 8 is located in the constelation of Sagittarius about 6,000 ly from Earth. Nearby in the same direction is Betelgeuse which is expected to go supernova anytime - or might have done so already since the star is 640 light years from Earth. If that is the case, Earth is in near direct trajectory for the energy blast. At present there are high levels of energetic cosmic radiation coming from that direction.

During the months October to January the arrow of Sagitarius points towards our sun with Earth and Jupiter on the opposite side - in alignment second half of October. 1+1+1 is ???

EDIT: PS.
Messier 8 - M8 - Lagoon is also the NASA image used on 2011 Calendar for September 2011.
See NASA Calendar 2011 - September is M8

edit on 26/8/2011 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

edit on 26/8/2011 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

Maybe a gamma ray burst?
What?
How does this tie into an earthquake prediction?
Here is a link to real time gamma ray bursts map.
grb.sonoma.edu...
And this deserves it own thread like in space and exploration.Have at it guys and gals.

I have known about Betelgeuse for quite sometime and I have know it could go supernova at anytime.
There is much,much more on this subject.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by Aromaz

Maybe a gamma ray burst?
What?
How does this tie into an earthquake prediction?
Here is a link to real time gamma ray bursts map.
grb.sonoma.edu...
And this deserves it own thread like in space and exploration.Have at it guys and gals.

It does not; at least not which I know of.
This reply was not to link it to an EQ; but to clarify the earlier e-mail regarding M8 references.

top topics

<< 268  269  270    272  273  274 >>

join