It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 266
<< 263  264  265    267  268  269 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

On the fracking debate in NY, they are allowing fracking of the Marcellus shale in NYS. The Marcellus shale covers the bottom third of the state (the southern tier). The fracking will not be allowed in the Skaneateles watershed. I'm thankful that I live in the watershed area, but am really worried. Skaneateles Lake is one of the cleanest lakes in the word (it ranks between #3 - 7, depending on their ranking system). I really want the lake to stay that way. One oops! could ruin that. There were reports of people in Buffalo, NY being able to set their tap water on fire after fracking took place there! Also this area is primarily a dead zone for earthquake activity. No earthquakes in this area. No active faults. What will the fracking unleash?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I like this thread, I just wanna see some action.

A little validation for this thread - now I hope it stays ALIVE!!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Robin, I`d love to believe its over.... but my gut tells me its not. When the injection starts again, I`m concerned that the "rocking and rolling" will start again.

The good thing is that we have gained a ton of info here, and I`m as prepared as I can be (which I was not before!).

I have lived here for 13 years, and this year is the first I have even felt the quakes. And had damage to our house and shop . I will never get over the horror of the 4.7, or the 4.1(to me felt bigger than the 4.7!!!!).... seeing and hearing the drywall crack and the crown moulding and door moulding come off as you watch.

I would wish this on no one.

That being said, without ATS I would not know about GEE, or how to access webicorders. I watch and wait.... I hope the biggie doesn`t come in my lifetime!!!!

Thank you for caring enough to be "on alert" for all of us here.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ur44lois

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Please, keep us posted!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I have been out and about through the Midwest and I have seen some interesting things.
I am seeing bridges being completely taken down and rebuilt in a far more rapid manner than ever before. I am seeing major roads closed while crews work to put in bigger storm drains and new bridges.

Our Midwest's highway infrastructure is being renovated FAST. In 50 years I have never seen work done this quickly.

St. Louis has more road/bridge/sewer line renovation than I have seen in 20 years.

Just a comment on something new and interesting.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I hope this radar is just a "glitch" and not a sign of strange things to come.

Has anyone ever seen a radar return like this?

Its just been such a busy day for quakes, I thought I`d ask.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonlover12
I hope this radar is just a "glitch" and not a sign of strange things to come.

Has anyone ever seen a radar return like this?

Its just been such a busy day for quakes, I thought I`d ask.

Id be plum tickled to learn thats not just streaking from the radius line circling the area pictured. Who the # knows though

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Salamandy

What made it more odd was that 2 minutes before and after that there was no storm in Arkansas under the odd signature.

I grabbed the image because I had not seen that kind of return on that site before. I spend a lot of time checking the radar living here in the land of "twisties that appear with no warning".

I`m sure there is a logical explanation, I just don`t know what (yet). I`m hoping someone here may.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

That is happening here in the Ohio Valley area also and into PA. I have never seen so many bridges being worked on at once and actually torn down and rebuilt. And, they are doing/did a major overhaul of the sewer system here locally.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12

Hello everyone, We have had a few quakes this week, but they were not felt here, did anyone else feel them? I have been pretty busy this summer, and we did go on vacation and had a ball and took the grand kids with us.

Ur44lois I pray that you are doing OK and will be praying for you.

Dragonlover, there is nothing there now on the radar like that, and I see that you looked you look at 7:02 pm. Maybe it was just an echo, I'm not sure but will go look at dutchsince and see if he posted anything on it.

There were studies done on the bridges all over the country after the one collapsed in the northwest, maybe this is just the needed repairs from that study. But I too have seen lots of bridges being repaired too from Arkansas all the way to Florida.

I will be shocked if they allow the injections to start back on the wells that are closed now. If they do we are in trouble. I am hoping and praying that they stop them completely here in the state, but that may not happen. It's not long till the meeting and decision is made and the information gathered made public. So we will know very soon.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Hi,Susan!
The screenshot was from 5:34pm our time. Really strange stuff.

I haven`t felt the quakes this week (thankfully!), but am not amused that they were there at all!

When is the decision on the wells?(Blonde moment,here
)

I`m glad you were able to get away.

They are doing work on installing drains around the bridges over the Saline River now.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12
[more

July 26th in El Dorado is what they have posted. I'm trying to stay real positive that they will not start the wells back. there has been some this way too and they also came in our neighborhood and have marked what I am thinking will be for new drainage to make improvements which are needed.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I`ll be keeping my fingers crossed that common sense prevails over greed.

Stay safe!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Okay, thanks Susan. So I am correct-bridge repairs are everywhere.
In the smallest towns in lower Michigan, the whole main streets are being taken up and huge storm drains are being put in.

What alerts me to "something" is that all this is happening during the busy summer tourist season. A major thoroughfare into the tourist area of St. Louis (Delmar) is unusable in places because the road has been removed.

I want to say the tremors in St. Louis have stopped but I still hear, see and feel shifting and stuttering. I report it. Nothing happens.

And, of course, there is a lot of standing water so mosquitoes and humidity are a constant.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm sharing this article here because I really would like to get Robin's thoughts on it. Especially since he is so well read regarding water and it's effects.

An entire river disappeared in Costa Rica after the earthquakes yesterday!

While reporting on the earthquake in Upala today, a local news station discovered that a district near the epicenter was missing a river. That’s right…A RIVER.

Apparently in the moments following the earthquake, a community stood watch as their river disappeared in to the Earth. As of this writing it is still unknown exactly which community this occurred in however once we have the name we will update this article. The affected citizens were interviewed and expressed concern for the loss of this substantial water supply to the area. Not only will this affect humans but also the livestock raised in the area.

Source - Costa Rica News - 5.3 Earthquake In Upala Alajuela

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

There's a few possibilities. A landslide could have diverted the course of river. They've had tons of rain. A strong La Nina has ended but has soaked the hills.

Limestone. There's lots of limestone cave systems all through Central America and Mexico. The river could have punch a hole into a cave system and is now underground.

Since the area sits just to the south of a giant volcanic system, it could be an old lava tube. The river punched through and is now underground.

Uplift. Just like the Mississippi, there could have been uplift due the quake which changed the river course. Or subsidence. The river may be pooling and forming a new lake.

The only real way to figure it out is following the river upstream and finding where it went.

Also, if it's orgin was a spring emerging from a mountain, a change in the faults could have pinched off the source.

edit on 13-7-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainEnigma
reply to post by katfish

That is happening here in the Ohio Valley area also and into PA. I have never seen so many bridges being worked on at once and actually torn down and rebuilt. And, they are doing/did a major overhaul of the sewer system here locally.

I can give you a multi layered answer to that. For a few years now, and I can say with 100% confidence because I worked several years with a govt alphabet agency, they have been undergoing a risk assessment program. Bascially, a state hired an independent contractor to go to each county and meet with the local EMA director and the LEPC board and work a Mitigation Plan of Risk Management to be sent to FEMA. If you were approved, then you got all this grant money for infrastructure improvements. Now alot of that money went to the area that would be affected if the New Madrid Fault went off, because it is one of the highest risk factors in the nation, due to the construction surrounding it, and you know all the other stuff, so no need to go into it.

Secondly, was just the stimulus money handed out and the pork barrel projects going on

Thirdly, during the FDR administration, when the New Deal was passed. Basically, people were just being put to work. Not saying that is a bad thing, but people were being put to work in areas they didnt know what they were doing, with just a supervisor that did. But they had to leave and skip from project to project. So, things werent built like they should of, plus alot of our infrastructure was built,what 40-70 yrs ago? And its wearing out, and we just dont have the money.

So basically, between just trying to get the most bang for the buck, plus pork barrel getting buddies contracts, thats why you are probably seeing so much about it. The president gave a clue a couple years ago when he was talking about the infrastructure so much. Thats when these Mitigation meetings were going on, I know, because I was sitting in on them!

I am sure it is other stuff too. I am sure as the Earth shift around stuff cracks, it gets old, alot of these projects were planned a few years ahead of time. They start collected the extra local taxes ahead of time for a certain number of years, then use the money for the project at the alloted time. Or could be an emergency issue, like a bridge might just about be ready to fall down. Alot of those projects were already financed along time ago, got stimulus money or a grant, and the Ohio Valley area is in a high Risk Assessment Zone. So mitigation money went there.

Hope that helps, thats about the best I can sum it up for you

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Oh, and one more thing, which I found odd at the time but not so much after this year so far. When they started this Mitigation Plan program, a county didnt qualify unless any one part of the county was considered to be in either a flood zone or an area of a flood plain that could have the possibility of flooding where the need to purchase private property might be deemed necessary. If your county did not have any distinct possibility of flooding, never had a flood, nor have a river or large creek run thru it, you were exempt from the program.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainEnigma

Thank you for your observation. I have been around the Midwest alot lately and it seems just insane. My friends in other parts of the Midwest agree. And it seems as if the work is being done in a great hurry with not a lot of warning to commuters.

By the way, I grew up with a dog that looks just like the one in your avatar-wonderful animal.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Heard this but didn't get much shake from this one.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 263  264  265    267  268  269 >>

join