It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 236
<< 233  234  235    237  238  239 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
This thread has been going on for almost 3 months, and then someone comes on about the title, the samething just happened to me on my last thead, and the title was appropriate,

So okay... so how is this part of the thread title "Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one" relevant or appropriate and not mongering fear? I don't see many EQ's in Memphis on USGS or Iris. Hawthorn Nv... now those are interesting

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Read the fracking thread. Read first, and maybe you won't repeat so many links. There's a whole fracking other thread that has a bibliography and links from this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

They even say on the News that Memphis would be gone even if it is not the epic center. I lived in Memphis, and there were 2 quakes when I was there, one threw me off the bed. The news said one was a busted gas main, and the other was lightening. But on the quake sites it was a quake each time. Some people are aware they are at ground zero if there were a 7 mag quake but the majority in Memphis do not even want to hear it. There is fault line that runs right through the center just pull up Interstate 55 Memphis, at least they were smart enough to build a highway right over it, so no drilling there.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

Yep!!

I live in Memphis and the average Memphian reacts nonchalantly about the topic of earthquakes alltogether.

I remember in February when Arkansas had the 4.7 and it was felt here in Memphis....I wanted to discuss it with local Memphians because I was awake and felt it ( I was actually up typing on ATS! ) and ask if they felt it and describe what they thought about( it was a bit exciting to me). They were so uninterested:

"Nope, didn't feel it...What are you gonna do later on this weekend?"
"Oh really? Who do you think is gonna be in the top 12 on American Idol?"
"Nah, I haven't heard about it....What is going on with Lil' Wayne?"
"No...didn't feel it. Guess what Wendy Williams was talking about today, gurrrl??"

Seriously...

9/10 Memphians do not know the name of the fault that we lie on, nor that we are on a fault for that matter.

"The New Madrid??/Wuz that???"

edit on 23-4-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Have been at a dog show today and won the breed with one of my girls who has never been to a dog show before. She kicked some royal booty and won Best of Breed over 4 Champions.

I get back home and just checked to see what happened while I was gone!!! We have had 3 quakes today NE and NNE of Greenbrier. LOL!!!! Just joking here, like any of you could actually stop one. LOL!!!

Did any of you feel any of them? I was in Harrison and did not feel anything up there at all. We did get hailed on this morning and lots of thunderheads came through up there too, but we did not hear or feel the first quake up there.

Here's the link
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SusanFreyWe have had 3 quakes today NE and NNE of Greenbrier. LOL!!!! Just joking here, like any of you could actually stop one. LOL!!!

Well since the EQ's are caused by silly oil men fracking the ground, perhaps an injection of ACME Earthquake Cement would help.
Something like silicon... glue the cracks together and the rubber will act like shock absorbers.

Oh yeah? won't know till you try

Congrats on the dog show... we have Welsh Pembroke corgis, pedigree back to Queen Elizabeth I

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

They even say on the News that Memphis would be gone even if it is not the epic center.

Well if one listens to the news every rumble in every city is going to be the next big one. They did that in Vegas on a slow news day, even got experts in to say that Frenchmen's mountain might one day maybe give some action...

Yeah Memphis sits on the New Madrid fault and they had a few big ones in 1811-12... so sure it MIGHT give a big one some day, but then just like those little quakes in Hawthorn are more likely to be activating a small volcano, then triggering the Long Island Caldera...

But I suppose we could just evacuate to be safe
Just keep gas in the car ( a few jerry cans, make sure you pack toilet paper in the bug out bag and most important... have an escape route planned that doesn't use freeways or get you into gridlock

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
Read the fracking thread.

heck no... its over 200 pages LOL and I already have my hands full in the Japanese nuke thread. And I am quite certain that my three posts are not in that list
I also tend not to concern myself too much with quakes below 4.0, because every where I have lived there have been hundreds of such annually... despite what some think... a continuous bumping of the plates does keep pressure off. Its when things stop shaking that you start to worry

I simply asked where the scientific evidence was that Memphis is about due for the big one... surely should be at the tip of your fingers, no?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Oh, forgot to tell you, one reason everyone in this area is so concerned is that the most earthquakes ever recorded in one year is 175. That was in 2009. From Sept 20, 2010 to today We have had well over 1,000 earthquakes, and that is just in 6 months. You are right about the methan killing the birds and fish. That even happened in the Chile quake, thousands fell out of the sky dead. If it wasn't for Susan and Mark, and getting the word out, we would still be having 20 so a day. She has been going to the Capitol, knocking on doors and in her area, a real worker.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

From Sept 20, 2010 to today We have had well over 1,000 earthquakes, and that is just in 6 months.

Yup when I saw the first one in Arkansas light up on Iris I figured something was up. But with the recent Fukushima nuclear mess making people all over the world want to get rid of nuclear energy, and now the ruthless oil barons fracking up the planet, we are going to have to reduce our energy needs really quick.

Either that or all this is the Earth having growing pains and the expanding earth theory really is true. If it is, we are in big trouble

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well, when gas gets to $6-$7 a gallon, I will get me another moped. There probably needs to be a solar flare that knocks us back into the dark ages, before this little Earth dies from our abuse. I bet that is the only way we will ever get free energy. The oil barons got us by the @#%$^%. I looked up one time how many nuclear plants were in each country, of course the US is top. I just want to know where are they putting all the waste from all those nuclear plants. That is the biggest theat. **Zorgon,**, that would make a good thread especially since what happened in Japan. No one has really address the Big Picture, Just an earthquake in one of their dump sites would be as bad. Nite

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Your right, the big picture does need to be addressed. People spoke of
nuclear waste at one time - there were those trying to find ways to deal
with it - now its seems its been pushed under the rug - I want to know
were the rug is located. There much be so much nuclear waste - where
is it and where does it go when it leaves a plant?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I just thought the samething, just popped in my head. They use to talk about it alot, because no one wanted it in their backyard. No telling where they are dumping it. If someone drills into that or a big earthquake that will be all she wrote. How you been doing? I just pop in now and again, It is Spring and very few bird if any, the feeders have been full for 2 weeks now. We have all kind of wild life around here but not since last Sept.
We did see one Hummingbird so far. We always fatten them up with sugar water. I read you about feeling the 3 mags where you are. I am moving this month to Hot Springs area 1800 ft above sea level just in case.
Nite daisy

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Well my State of Nevada offered up the solution for nuclear waste storage... Yucca Mountain. Its all built and ready for use... cost billions to complete. But Sen Harry Reid decided to go against it because people are worried about transporting it TO the site...

So in the meantime the waste is kept ON SITE just like it is at Fukushima. There are many plants that are the same GE reactors like those in Japan and they also have spent fuel storage above the reactors.. and several are also built on faults.

But no worries... can't possibly happen here

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well they are talking about building more here, and China has bought one of ours, or Obama gave it to them to keep them from foreclosing, China has the one in Utah now. If that Stunext Worm goes virul we might not even make to 2012. Now Zorgon you have the fan base to make this become a cause people can get behind. The Legend is writing a book on ATS, so I was still up reading.

I can't help but feel guilty everytime I look at the IRIS quake Map, All the way around the Pacific Rim huge quakes and then look at the US. I don' think it is God watching over us that good. I am sure other countries have noticed that. If it is HAARP they are going to have to give us one just to try to show it is not them.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Just send your nuclear waste to the Great State of Texas

A Texas commission approved rules on Tuesday that pave the way for 36 states to export low-level radioactive waste to a remote landfill along the Texas-New Mexico border. The 5-2 vote by the Texas Low-Level Radioactive Commission came after last-minute legal maneuvering on Monday failed to delay the meeting, environmentalists warned the dump would pollute groundwater and more than 5,000 people commented on the plan.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude
Date-Time
Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 06:18:56 UTC
Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 01:18:56 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
4.9 km (3.0 miles)
Region
ARKANSAS
Distances
12 km (7 miles) NNE of Conway, Arkansas
50 km (31 miles) N of LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas
59 km (36 miles) W of Searcy, Arkansas
68 km (42 miles) E of Russellville, Arkansas

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

You're exactly right about nobody caring about earthquakes around here. That's why I like this thread so much - nobody around here cares AT ALL. It's all about Gossip Girl, American Idol, Teen Mom, the baseball game on tv, the party this weekend, whatever else except for anything to do with nature. It's ridiculous how brainwashed everyone seems to be.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tmar11

how funny I meant to post that..copied and pasted the link and everything.. I'm so tired I forgot to hit reply. I've been working very hard all week to try and collect food and necessities for a family in need to take to them for Easter, so I've too busy to really sit down with the computer lately- unless it involved 'begging' for food on behalf of that family. That nice earthquake we had earlier was like a reminder for me to keep myself informed. Shook the house real good and, of course, scared the crap out of my dogs. Well, it's off to bed for me, gotta get up in 3 hours, then drive for 3 hours to deliver a car load of goods

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Well my State of Nevada offered up the solution for nuclear waste storage... Yucca Mountain. Its all built and ready for use... cost billions to complete. But Sen Harry Reid decided to go against it because people are worried about transporting it TO the site...

So in the meantime the waste is kept ON SITE just like it is at Fukushima. There are many plants that are the same GE reactors like those in Japan and they also have spent fuel storage above the reactors.. and several are also built on faults.

But no worries... can't possibly happen here

it isn't just transporting it that people are worried about. why does nevada have to get it? the majority of people pushing for this are reps from other states trying to pawn thier crap on us.

top topics

<< 233  234  235    237  238  239 >>

join